Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will earn the Iron Throne
Jon Snow / Stark (Targaryen)
Daenerys Stormborn Targaryen, Breaker of Chains, Mother of dragons, etc. etc. etc.
Cersei Lannister
Cersei's corpse after getting backstabbed by Jamie
Hodo...wait, nevermind.
Zombie Mountain
Arya / Hound spinoff series
Checkbox
View Results

• Locked thread
Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I find the Bran stuff a little boring but none of it contradicts the themes the rest of the series establishes. The Arya fight especially belonged in an entirely different show. But eh nothing's perfect. And it's just a really good violent soap at the end if the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol god I couldn't get over the way that lady was chasing her through the streets a la terminator

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The only thing left that Bran can do that will help in any way is to tell Jon he's not a Snow, he's a loving Targ.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol god I couldn't get over the way that lady was chasing her through the streets a la terminator

Not lying I loved that because I went, oh cool it's The Terminator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyBjiX2dbh8

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

gently caress that was lame. I hated almost all of the Braavos bit since it was fairly boring but then it ended with that garbage. The director is hit or miss with his episodes I guess. Seems like they use him to cover big events that could drag out in a quick, cheap way.

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 18, 2017

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ded posted:

The only thing left that Bran can do that will help in any way is to tell Jon he's not a Snow, he's a loving Targ.

But he's still a bastard though, so his name wouldn't change.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

GoGoGadget posted:

They weren't slaves. There aren't any slaves in Westeros. Pretty sure they're all there of their own volition.

*pushes up glasses* um actually, due to the power disparity and systematic targeting of vulnerable populations, there is little difference between sex trafficking and slavery. If you effectively kidnap a teenage girl, make her assume a new name, restrict her freedom of movement, force her to have sex with strangers (and yourself) through manipulation and deception and violence, and then claim her property & earnings as your own.. ..you're basically a slaver.

.. or do you consider picking cotton to be somehow more de-humanizing than getting pounded in the butt at figurative (but often literal) gunpoint?

Bonus Fun fact: The internet is like the cotton-gin of forced penetration.

.. but anyways!

GoT: It's only rape when GRRM didn't spoon-feed us a character arc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McNally posted:

But he's still a bastard though, so his name wouldn't change.

Well, he's not a northern bastard, so his name would be different. Also he wasn't intended to be a bastard and would have been trueborn to his dad, so I don't think it really matters he's a dragon.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Glad it was a blatant flaw everyone else noticed

Braavos felt a bit anti-climactic, considering how they built it up in the show. Actually tbh that whole thing was just a drawn out waste of time and I still don't know what the gently caress was going on or ultimately happened

I didn't think Dorne was THAT bad, for example. I hope they don't revisit it, though.

I didn't read the books so I guess my opinion is moot

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, he's not a northern bastard, so his name would be different.

He was raised by a northerner in the north, the son of a northerner. That makes him a Snow, not a Sand (born in Dorne) or a Waters (father from the Crownlands, presumably), because it matters more where he was raised and by whom.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also he wasn't intended to be a bastard and would have been trueborn to his dad, so I don't think it really matters he's a dragon.
His father, assuming it was Prince Rhaegar, was already married to someone else and had two children, so Jon couldn't ever have been anything but a bastard.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McNally posted:

His father, assuming it was Prince Rhaegar, was already married to someone else and had two children, so Jon couldn't ever have been anything but a bastard.

Also the lack of inscest propably hurts per Targ S&P

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm an idiot and don't know poo poo. You're right on the bastard name, but I'm pretty sure the targs were down with bigamy as well as incest.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Jon snow knows nothing, vote Night King 2018

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Nice! posted:

He'd be a blackfyre because that's what Targ bastards are called. Also targs have special rules with bigamy just like they do incest iirc. Rhaegar expected jon to be the third head of the dragon.

Blackfyre was the name taken by Daemon Waters after being legitimized and basically given his own house.

Other notable Targ bastards include Aegor Rivers and Brynden "Three Eyed Raven" Rivers.

Edit: Looks like we were both hitting up Google at the same time.

Not sure about the Targ stance on bigamy, though. To Google!

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

But him being a bastard according to Westeros law means nothing if he is immune to fire

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just wait for the HBO spin-off with the rebellion and mad king

Y'all know it's gonna happen

And I'll watch it all

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Just wait for the HBO spin-off with the rebellion and mad king

Y'all know it's gonna happen

And I'll watch it all

Nah. Spinoff of the adventures of slightly younger Bronn.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

GoGoGadget posted:

But him being a bastard according to Westeros law means nothing if he is immune to fire

Didn't he burn himself back in like season 2, saving Mormont from a wight with fire?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Didn't he burn himself back in like season 2, saving Mormont from a wight with fire?

Yeah that was before he was brought back to life by a fire god.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Yea but still lol

Anyway dany's actual brother wasn't immune to fire either, I think that's just her thing and not necessarily a targ thing.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I just had the worst thought. Dany is the avatar of the lord of light but does not know it.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

ded posted:

I just had the worst thought. Dany is the avatar of the lord of light but does not know it.

:catstare:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

are nerds actually mad about the celebrity appearance or is it just something the media is taking off with like the supposed outrage over a female doctor who

I didn't even know who the dude was until someone told me about that one part with the famous singer. He had a minimal role, one line, and an overall good performance? I actually really liked that scene. Helped to re-humanize Arya a bit and follows the foreshadowing of Snow's not punishing children for their fathers sins ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Just wait till they do a female James Bond who still womanizes.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

ded posted:

Just wait till they do a female James Bond who still womanizes.

Don't plagiarize my fanfic

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

are nerds actually mad about the celebrity appearance or is it just something the media is taking off with like the supposed outrage over a female doctor who

Both were legit nerd meltdowns on social media and news comments.

When faced with the question "did nerds get mad?", the answer is always yes. Nerds are the biggest loving babies on the god drat planet and they go full poo poo flinging monkey over the dumbest things.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There was a celebrity appearance?

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, being a huge fan, they allowed Ed Sheeran to have a small part. He was the ginger Lannister soldier that was singing. It was a little jarring at first recognizing who it was but then I was like hey that's neat.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah one of the Lannister soliders is a singer or some poo poo.

I wouldn't have know had I not seen nerds melting down over it prior to getting to see the episode (didn't watch till Monday night) or if my girlfriend hadn't pointed it out while we were watching. He did a good enough job so I'm not entirely sure why people are being dumb about it :shrug:

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
Just wanted to say, I can't wait to hate Sansa even more when she inevitably betrays everyone. It's totally appropriate that the most worthless character will ruin it for everyone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I had no idea who Ed Shereen was before now.

Did everyone get so up in arms that Preston Jacobs or whatever the youtube GoT conspiracy theorist's name is got a finger up his bum and an axe in his head courtesy of the hound?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ded posted:

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had no idea who Ed Shereen was before now.

Did everyone get so up in arms that Preston Jacobs or whatever the youtube GoT conspiracy theorist's name is got a finger up his bum and an axe in his head courtesy of the hound?

Why? Ed Shebang (I'm leaving this autocorrect) is an actual celebrity, not just a YouTube goober. It was a bit off-putting at first seeing somebody famous in a fantasy world you aren't expecting them. Especially when that celeb is doing what they do in real life.

I'm more surprised that I haven't seen Sam's library adventure in more gifs.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

AkrisD posted:

Just wanted to say, I can't wait to hate Sansa even more when she inevitably betrays everyone. It's totally appropriate that the most worthless character will ruin it for everyone.

When Sansa hears Bran is alive she is going to totally try to make a play to put Bran on the throne of the north instead of Jon.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

AkrisD posted:

But she knows what he wants! She's onto him!

AkrisD posted:

Why? Ed Shebang (I'm leaving this autocorrect) is an actual celebrity, not just a YouTube goober. It was a bit off-putting at first seeing somebody famous in a fantasy world you aren't expecting them. Especially when that celeb is doing what they do in real life.

🙄

but lol how long was that scene with snippets of Sam cleaning. Someone must really like 💩

quote:

Hands of Gold | Lyrics
He rode through the streets of the city,

Down from his hill on high,

O’er the wynds and the steps and the cobbles,

He rode to a woman’s sigh.

For she was his secret treasure,

She was his shame and his bliss.

And a chain and a keep are nothing,

Compared to a woman's kiss

For hands of gold are always cold,

But a woman’s hands are warm

What about the lyrics though. Jamie gonna strangle cersei with his golden hand?

I didn't realize people adjusted the ambience of their room and set the tone a bit so they could submerse themselves into the GOT word and zone out and pretend they're in fantasy land. I'm glad that dude ruined that for people

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 19, 2017

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

But she knows what he wants! She's onto him!

🙄

but lol how long was that scene with snippets of Sam cleaning. Someone must really like 💩

What about the lyrics though. Jamie gonna strangle cersei with his golden hand?

I didn't realize people adjusted the ambience of their room and set the tone a bit so they could submerse themselves into the GOT word and zone out and pretend they're in fantasy land. I'm glad that dude ruined that for people

The original song was a plot point in the books, written about Tyrion. He had a gold chain of hands (that he strangled his girl with) and the hand of the king badge.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

AkrisD posted:

I was already grating my teeth at her having the obvious loving solution at her fingertips at the end of the last season, but deciding to wait till the very last second to ask Littlefinger to bring the knights of the veil into the equation.

And yes, I'm fully aware of her trouble with Littlefinger, it was regurgitated countless times in that season, it was just infuriating after everything considered that she was all "HEED MY ADVICE FOR A loving CHANGE", while holding the keys to change the whole drat game.

I was waiting for a "Just give the Starks a chance to gently caress it up" moment in the first episode, and I figured it was there when Sansa shat on Jon in front of his bannermen, but I'm getting the impression that's exactly what Benioff and whatshisname are trying to portray. So here's to hoping it finally goes a different way this season.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So no issue streaming the new episode when it drops? I usually wait because last year it was horrendous for the first hour if not two.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So no issue streaming the new episode when it drops? I usually wait because last year it was horrendous for the first hour if not two.

Started mine at 8:59 last time without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Fired up HBONow at 5:50 eastern, new episode was up for selection 4 minutes before the hour, and upon selecting, it went straight to a few brief hype- and "Previously on GoT"-clips, before transitioning into the premiere at 6 eastern sharp.

Excellent quality, not a single glitch, stutter, or drop. Was pretty impressed, especially with what I had previously heard from earlier years. But that was all from HBO Go, so maybe they run off different servers, no idea.

• Locked thread