Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
SUBBAN

V

KESSEL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Subban and Kessel are good examples why Canadian teams aren't winning Cups recently

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8NkqsSsliU

Go Team With Ryan Johansen and PK Subban. Good luck with the Final and RyJo's contract negotiation because those can be tricky.

Does Nashville have a zoo? They'd better lock up the penguins or any penguin-like birds. :ohdear:

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Petition to rename this thread "The Balsillie Bowl"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Go Subban!

Down with Kessels

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

http://i.imgur.com/Q8teBNs.gifv

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Honk Honk Honk

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Cross-posting from the other thread:

Kilza posted:

From the West, we have our heroes in the Nashville Predators.
From the East, we have our villains in the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Can our heroes defeat those villains and take the Cup back?

(go Preds)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

Honk Honk Honk

That is a good rear end av

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Let's go PK Subban's Nashville PK Subbans

Hand Knit posted:

That is a good rear end av

Holy poo poo

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Mike Sullivan is an insanely good coach based on sample size only:

https://twitter.com/Goatzel/status/867957747400167424
https://twitter.com/LetsTalkPens/status/867958084332736512

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Namaste

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I don't mind if the Preds beat us honestly because I like PK; but I'll still root for the Penguins out of civic pride.

I do think if the Pens could win if they get to Rinne like they have historically (these stats probably don't matter though)

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I don't know man. The only reason this was a series at all was because of a hot goalie. Sid is back and even this this garbo defense i think they out score the preds

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The Nashville Predators are going to win the Stanley Cup.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I'm thinking game 1 OU at 5.5 and a pickem for the cup

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
God drat, how bad of a coach was Mike Johnston

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

The Dirty Burger posted:

between him being such poo poo and the new guy also being named Mike it's incredibly easy to forget he was ever the coach at all

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Rooting for the Preds but suspecting the Pens might take it

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Anyway I'm really excited to see the team with an insanely good defensive corps but injured offence take on the team with insanely good forwards but injured defence. I think that Nashville takes it because their defence is more thorough than Pittsburgh's offence, but that my just be me wishing upon the glowing star that is PK Subban.

Side question: assuming nothing in the finals changes this, which player from each team would get the Conn Smythe? I assume Rinne for Nashville, but I have no idea who would get it for Pittsburgh now that Murray has supplanted Fleury.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Anyway I'm really excited to see the team with an insanely good defensive corps but injured offence take on the team with insanely good forwards but injured defence. I think that Nashville takes it because their defence is more thorough than Pittsburgh's offence, but that my just be me wishing upon the glowing star that is PK Subban.

Side question: assuming nothing in the finals changes this, which player from each team would get the Conn Smythe? I assume Rinne for Nashville, but I have no idea who would get it for Pittsburgh now that Murray has supplanted Fleury.

Just looking at points, you got Geno and Sid sitting at the top with 24 and 20 so probably one of them. I'd love for Forsberg to have an outside shot at a Conn Smythe.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Hand Knit posted:

Malkin is closing in on 20 points in these playoffs

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

You can't deny this is the best possible final matchup. Either the Penguins win and prove skill and stars still have a place in this game or the Predators win and shove "narrative" up the rear end of a lot of people who deserve it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Malkin or Crosby.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Hand Knit posted:

erik karlsson

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

conn smythe clearly going to olli maatta's cancer when it recurs

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hand Knit posted:

They already did the "eh, gently caress it, give it to Crosby" thing last year, so Malkin would be my guess unless Crosby goes apeshit in the Finals. Like 96% it's going to be Rinne if the Preds win.

The Dirty Burger posted:

He was the worst coach in NHL history (and no I'm not even excluding Barry Melrose or Patrick Roy) and it will forever be a mystery how in the hell he managed to get hired to coach an NHL team

e: Like there are plenty of bad coaches who you can at least look at and say, okay yeah, I can see how he at least looks and sounds like a hockey coach. Johnston was legendary not just for being a terrible coach but also for standing on the bench for 2+ hours, every single game, with a distant perplexed squinting look on his face like he's trying to remember where he left his car keys.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 26, 2017

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
John Maclean was super terrible as coach as well

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

They already did the "eh, gently caress it, give it to Crosby" thing last year

dude wtf are you talking about

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

dude wtf are you talking about

Don't ask me, I was firmly in the pro-Crosby camp. Ask the zillions of people who thought Kessel and/or Murray got jobbed :shrug:

All I'm saying is if there's no clear winner then they're probably not going to give it to the same dude they gave it to last year, even if he deserves it.

e: See also the fact Nicklas Lidstrom did not get 15 Norris Trophies

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Subban and Kessel are good examples why Canadian teams aren't winning Cups recently

The Leafs probably don't have Matthews right now if Kessel hadn't been traded.

And Kapanen looks rad as hell.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Root for the team that Rusev roots for.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wilk be so drat mad if this AHL Pens defense can win a CuP

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ask the zillions of people who thought Kessel and/or Murray got jobbed :shrug:

No one worth paying any attention to thought this

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: See also the fact Nicklas Lidstrom did not get 15 Norris Trophies
Lidstrom had 2 separate 3-peats and I think 98 and ~maybe~ 09 are the only years where he didnt win but had a justifiable case, while 2011 is a very questionable win in his corner.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I sort of wanted Phil to get it but Crosby played much harder minutes. He was the correct choice.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Technetium posted:

The Leafs probably don't have Matthews right now if Kessel hadn't been traded.

And Kapanen looks rad as hell.

It's only a matter of time before Matthews gets run out of Toronto or leaves of his own volition.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Crosby's flat out the best player on the ice 100% of the time that he's out there. Was last year, still is this year, if the Penguins win the Cup he ought to get the Smythe again. But I doubt he will unless he finishes way ahead of the field on points, it's not just a hockey thing, award voters in all sports don't like giving an award to the same guy they gave it to last year.

fakeedit: The entire list of back-to-back Conn Smythe winners is: Bernie Parent and Mario Lemieux. Even Gretzky only got it in 2 of his 4 Cup years, Messier and a guy on the losing team got the other 2. When the Islanders won 4 straight Cups they gave the Smythe to 4 different dudes.

e: vvv Yeah and more recently Jordan's 6 Finals MVPs, basketball is definitely an exception. But then basketball is a MUCH more star driven sport than any other.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

award voters in all sports don't like giving an award to the same guy they gave it to last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Russell_NBA_Finals_Most_Valuable_Player_Award

• Locked thread