Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not the Avs right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The E:60 feature on PK was good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Aphrodite posted:

That's the name of Phil Kessel's autobiography.

It's a pop-up book.

I'd read it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

RC Cola posted:

The Pittsburgh Zebras were great tonight

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

"HEY, KESSEL *throws hotdog on ice*"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh MAF.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:thurman:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bump_fn posted:

this thread is kinda sad imho

Please don't sign your posts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hey Tayne, stop shitposting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tayne, I understand your team is doing well. I understand you are two games away from winning the cup again.

But this is your 2nd strike. Stop. Shitposting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Matt Zerella posted:

Nah. This is Taynes schtick and I enjoy it because 90% of PAS are chicken little as all hell.

I like Ginette Reno. He's cool.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, where was Jake hiding in rounds 2 and 3. He sort of... dropped off, and now seems to have found his shot again.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Who's the smallest guy right now anyway, Zuc?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I just want to see the cup presented in Nashville, just so they can boo Bettman off the face of the earth.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blue Raider posted:

ive never been a hockey fan of any note, but i must say that i extremely approve of the level of petty that the cup brings out of people

Because it's the cup

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

inferis posted:

my favorite part about this whole thing is hearing sports journalists speculating why pk subban takes so much criticism while dancing around saying the word 'black'

It's a universal plague. See also: Tiger Woods.

For a good litmus test, see how people react to what Tiger did compared to Bill Clinton.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bewbies posted:

I'm not debating the existence of tacit/institutional and or overt racism but...if we're talking about marital infidelity I'm pretty comfortable saying Bill Clinton got it from society/media a whole lot worse than Tiger did.

I'm talking about after the fact, as in a few years down the line. Obviously immediate reaction you're right, I'll give you that point. My mom would cheer when Tiger did horribly after the whole thing came out, but when I'd ask her what she thought about Bill's stuff, she'd shrug about it.

Ginette Reno posted:

The problem for PK is he's not only black with all the baggage that entails in the sports media but he also prominently displays his enthusiasm when playing the game which the dinosaur hockey media really hates. Nobody is allowed to have fun. You must take this game played by little boys 100% seriously all the time.

Yup. See also: baseball writers.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 5, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

deoju posted:

BRB, buying a Subban jersey. Seriously, how anybody not love this guy?

I don't know, Habs fans, care to share?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Suspicious posted:

Not sure I get the constant digs, Subban had the second most jersey sales behind Price. It was hockey dinosaurs who didn't like him, and they tend to be journalists / coaches / GMs.

I wasn't taking a dig at Habs fans, I was more or less asking for their opinions on it.

In other words, phrasing on my part was bad, sorry.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't have any way to prove it but the ole *eye test* but PK actually seems a lot more conservative with his play style in Nashville than he was in Montreal. I seem to remember him rushing the puck up and taking risks in the offensive zone a lot more in MTL than he does for the Preds. I haven't seen him dominate games as much individually on the Preds as I recall him doing for le Habs. For the Preds it seems like he just takes the opportunities that are there but otherwise doesn't go too nuts with the puck, for better or worse.

It also may help that he has a solid partner on the blue line.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HappyHippo posted:

I blame Therrien. Hopefully the damage can be reversed.

Also as pissed off as I am about the trade, it's really cool seeing him in the finals (and with a decent chance to win), which never would have happened on the habs. At least he was traded to a good team. Part of me wants Bergevin to trade Price and Patches to good teams with an actual shot.

The monkey's paw finger curls... as both go to the Leafs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's been a really weird series as a whole. Murray was beatable in Game 1, and both that and Game 2 was "Golden Horseshoe so far up the Penguin's rear end" it wasn't even funny, with a very lucky 5 on 3 and a waived off goal in G1, and a 5 minute span where everything bounced Pitt's way in G2.

Now without some lucky bounces the Penguins look mortal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bewbies posted:

I will make the bold prediction that this is the same trajectory hockey will take in Nashville.

Dude, lay off the salt, ok? It's getting tiring.

bewbies posted:

on the plus side drunk charles barkley provided the most entertaining presence we've seen thus far in these playoffs and also made me wonder, if the NBA finals are actually worse than these SCFs...how bad are they?

It's the same two teams for the third year. You tell me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kevin Fiala and Ryan Johansen sigh.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mind_Taker posted:

I still can't believe the Capitals won 2 of 3 games in Pittsburgh and still lost the series.

caps.txt

For forever.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

This series hasn't looked nearly as scary as the Caps series, either in the badness of the pens or the goodness of the opponent. Two days of rest between all subsequent games is a good thing for our D

Serious question here: why were you at any point worried about losing to the Caps?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Little Kielbasa posted:

May be wishful thinking, but I'm thinking that home ice means more than usual this series because the Preds' top two defensive pairings are so good. Much easier to get Crosby or Malkin minutes against the third pairing at home.

Also, for someone leading the league in goals, it sure seems like Jake has whiffed on a ton of quality chances in every round.

Aren't all 4 GWGs so far held by just two people?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

...! posted:

I'm honestly surprised that you guys have never seen the horn blown in the middle of a game before. It happened a bunch of seasons ago in another Preds game. Shea Weber made a shot that looked like it went in but it ended up behind the goal somehow. The horn got blown a few minutes later. The officials looked at the replays for a couple of minutes then went and inspected the net. Weber had shot the puck so hard that it burned through the net. There were scorch marks around the hole.

So it took a few minutes for them to replace the goal, then they had to put five or six minutes back on the clock. It was awesome. It's a good thing no one got a goal during that few minutes; it's my understanding that they would have had to roll back the score too.

This requires video evidence.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blackhawks have a decent following in Milwaukee for the obvious reasons, though Wild is somewhat represented. Lots of Nashville fans here because we're their AHL team.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yo I heard something about the penguins, they might win the cup

You do realize forum invasions, even within the site, is breaking the rules, right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

myron cope posted:

My hot take is whoever wins tonight will win the series

I know that's a way out there opinion. But I stand by it

Actually I agree, though stranger things have happened.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sportsgenius86 posted:

Guentzel should win the Conn Smythe

Honestly, I think he should too. The dude had an amazing playoffs.

Of course, barring Rinne channeling god mode for the next two games.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

A couple of these made me chuckle, and it vindicates Ginette Reno's av

https://youtu.be/PLOP7_Fs24I

E: I thought YouTube links automatically embedded...

If you're using SALR, they won't

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Citizen Tayne posted:

That's a big negative. Rooting for a southern hockey team is Extremely Bad.

Don't sign your posts

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I didn't see the two goals, but I saw a goal that got waved off due to bullshit, and at that point, I knew.

Pittsburgh was going to win because reasons.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

myron cope posted:

The Preds were gifted some power plays though, most likely as penance. I mean, they were all legitimate penalties but probably not "potential Cup-winning game" penalties. Also the Pens didn't get any power plays, probably for same.

I knew someone would make this argument, but it was an early as gently caress whistle that should have never blown. There were scrums in front of the crease that were just as blocking of the puck and no whistle got blown.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jordan7hm posted:

It was a bad whistle but they played a lot of hockey after that. They didn't lose because of that play.

A Nashville goal is a huge momentum swing in their favor. We saw the same thing happen in game 1.

myron cope posted:

Yeah I mean it should have counted. But everyone gets screwed by the intent to blow/actual blowing dead at one point or another. This was just incredibly bad timing for Nashville.

I think Pittsburgh stil played well enough to "deserve" the win, if that makes sense.

It was a properly tense 0-0 game before I wasn't able to watch, I'll give it that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eric the Mauve posted:

keep going I'm almost there

Hainsey had more goals than Chicago had wins.

• Locked thread