Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

Yeah, I got nothing against the actual city of Pittsburgh. Phipps Conservatory is cool as hell and there's a really good meh brewpub inside an old church. I just don't like their sports teams.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think it was called Tako

Tako is great, but their beer selection is lacking. Aside from tacos, they're more known for their mixed drinks which are mostly tequila-based.

Fifty Three posted:

I've only ever drank at Tako, been meaning to try their food for a while. I recently tried Condado for the first time a few weeks ago and I liked it well enough.

Downtown isn't where the party's at, though.

Condado is pretty good after they got through the first month or so, and its really cheap compared to Tako.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

Aw, I like that place. Hofbrauhaus and Penn Brewery are where it's at though. The former if you're fun and like singing and standing on benches.

It's not so much their beer. I love their Tripple. Their food seems to have gone down hill over the last few years, IMHO. But they still have a solid pierogi pizza.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Candado's tacos are quantity over quality and their refried beans are sweet. Pretty gross.

I can't remember what I had exactly. Definitely not their refried beans, but I thought it was decent. But maybe it was comfort food because it was after the game 6 loss to the Caps... and I was with a Caps fan.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Thufir posted:

I went and saw a Preds game in Pittsburgh a few years ago and went to Butcher and the Rye downtown, which was pretty hip/bougie. Also we saw Perron, Lapierre, and Despres there.

Butcher in the Rye always smells like cabbage. So does Carmella's in the South Side.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

Apparently we have a ton of great places to eat in Pittsburgh, unfortunately my wife has Celiacs so we don't get out to most of them. Having said that, There's a place in the strip district called Gaucho that makes some unbelievably good food, and it is pretty reasonably priced; if your in Pittsburgh and have the chance, I'd suggest eating there. At least for lunch anyway, no idea what they do for dinner.

Also I'm a homer, so I think the pens are going to repeat, but Rinne is absolutely terrifying. Well that and PK skate stomping a few more penguins during the series.

E: it dawns on me, I'm probably eating jalapeņo cheez-its for dinner, so my food recommendations may be suspect.

Same menu. You can get a huge ribeye for lunch or dinner! I don't have celiac's but too much yeasty carbs are bad for me. So I can sympathize a bit.

I would also recommend* Greet Forrest Churrascaria or if you need to be downtown, Texas de Brazil for their Brazilian meat heavy menu.

Meat and Potatoes, Pork n Beans, BRGR, Burgatory are really solid.

Good lunch places that have meat & potential gluten free options are Salem's, Dijlah (mid-eastern / mediterranean). I prefer Dijlah most of the time, their Iraqi Kabob and Lamb Teka are excellent.

*I have not been to Green Forrest, yet, but have heard it's better than Texas de Brazil and the latter is pretty drat good for $45 all you can eat meat.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Apparently Phil Kessel stabbed two people in Portland. The newspaper would have you believe he was yelling at muslim women, but we know the two guys actually stole his hotdog.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

What was the outcome of Pens / Preds during the regular season. I missed a bit of the season and these games.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pittsburgh made a joke out of Rinne, which appears to be happening again.

Gracias. Appears Rinne's team also are in on it.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

I'm pretty sure Letang got sacrificed to some dark power at this point. That level of luck is just obscene.

Level of luck, yes. But I think Letang missing extended all three series so far. Like game 1 against Ottawa, doesn't go to overtime or we pull out the win.

At the same time, I think winning without Letang is very important for the franchise. I admit, I didn't think we'd get beyond Washington without Letang.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

This whole thing is utterly amazing. I mean how can anyone be mad at this guy?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

myron cope posted:

I can't read that Post-Gazette article because I've read too many this month (I guess? I feel like that shows up all the time) but the more people complain about this whole incident the more I want to see that dude have to pay for his catfish crimes.

Open up dev tools and delete your cookies for PG.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pens fans chanting "Flyers Suck" in the background. :lol:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Fail. Where's the relish?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bewbies posted:

for fucks sake nashville act like you've been there before

They're acting like they'll never be back to the SCF again.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

Remember when baseball players drank breast milk for a while? Gross times.

Don't kinkshame!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/videos/p-k-subban-punches-crosby-in-the-head-but-the-penguins-make-him-pay

:lol:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

http://www.gq.com/story/nhl-stanley-cup-hair-2017

my main takeaway from this article is, PK Subban's barber taught the Predators about the magic of beard oil. every man should get a primer on beard oil at a young age. beard oil.

Did Subban's barber also teach Subban about punching Crosby in the back of the head?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody needs to be taught to punch a player as dirty as Crosby, it's instinct.

I once saw crosby hand the refs a 1000 bill to look the other way

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

And who taught Kunitz to crosscheck Subban in the back of the neck? Mysteries indeed.

Well, Kuntiz saw what Subban did to Crosby and figured, "why not, he's my captain oh captain".

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

What is the name of this Nashville Recording Artist?

I bet it's Carrie Underwood for friends.

DJExile posted:

Maybe we won't get quite as much of the blackhawks crammed down everyone's loving throahahahaha yeah that's not changing

Are the Blackhawks big amongst the rest of the country? Genuinely curious.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Wanted to ask this during the last game, but what are the Nashville fans chanting? They did it 2-3 times at least and it was roaring in the arena and it sounded amazing. Shame we're not that creative in Pittsburgh.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

"I hosed my sister!"

"My family tree is a stump!"

We're playing Nashville, not King's Landing.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

You're right, it was rude of me to say that, especially since Nashville votes Democratic.

Even Nashville knows that Trump loving his daughter is wrong.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nice I'll pay more attention in game 6.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

I would literally suck Sidney's dick if he let me.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The only people Sidney Crosby is interested in screwing is anyone who donates to his charity.

I still think he hosed Mario's wife.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

NBC needs to replace the announcers with whoever runs their twitter feed

https://twitter.com/NHLonNBCSports/status/873011289135742978

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Juvi posted:

Also because good old Canadian boy.

I had Geno as the favorite up until Sid went into domination mode in game 4. I still think it's a toss up but if Sid continues his current play, he'll win for sure.

Also wouldn't be surprised if they were the front runner even if Nashville wins. There's no one on the team that is really a worth a look with Rinne turning into poo poo as soon as he enters Pittsburgh air space. I guess PK, maybe?

How many other conn smythe winners have been pulled twice in one series?

Not a slag on Rinne just curious

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

we're like 6 years from Crosby getting CTE and overdosing on pills anyway, so just let him enjoy the moment imo

Toronto, 2027 -

The Kid arrived at The Fame. After hours of being alone and scared he arrived. It all started because he liked to touch soft things. That woman, Tang's wife, had such soft hair. Tang's wife had started to scream as The Kid touched her hair. The Kid became frightened and confused when she screamed and as he tried to comfort Tang's wife and hold her still she suddenly went limp in his arms. The Kid let her go and she fell to the floor with a thump.

The Kid knew something was wrong. He knew Lemmy would know what to do. He knew to meet Lemmy at The Fame.

The journey took hours and it was grueling, The Kid avoided the people on the streets. He was especially afraid of Cherry and knew he needed to avoid the bizarrely dressed man at all costs. The Kid had never understood why Cherry always attacked him. Cherry yelled at everyone though and never made much sense, especially to The Kid.

Finally, The Kid had made it to The Fame and he knew in which room Lemmy would meet him. It was the room with the silver bowl with names on it. Lemmy would read the names of his favorites to The Kid sometimes. Coffee, Lemoo, Samson and Auger. Stall, Tang, Tabot and Cosby. Lemmy would always smile as he said them, especially when he said Cosby.

The Kid knew that Cosby was special; that he used to know Cosby but couldn't remember him. Lemmy always said that The Kid was Cosby, but that just confused The Kid and made him sad.

"Kid..." a soft voice said behind him. It was Lemmy, and his eyes were wet.

"I came to The Fame, Lemmy."

"It's time to go, Kid."

"Are we finally going? Are we going to where the stanelies are?"

"Yes, Kid, we're finally going to a better place." Tears filled Lemmy's eyes. The Kid wasn't sure if he was sad or happy. "Look here," Lemmy pointed at a name. The Kid knew that name...

"Sidy Cosby," The Kid said.

"Do you remember him?" Lemmy asked. "That's you."

"That's me?"

"Yes, Sidney, that's you. And you were one of the greats." Lemmy was said, The Kid could tell the difference this time, Lemmy was very sad. "Look! Here's your name again." Lemmy pointed at a different place on the silver bowl.

As The Kid leaned forward to look at the scratching on the silver bowl, Lemmy walked behind The Kid, set a puck on the ground and with his hockey stick lined up his shot.

The Kid fell to the floor with a thump as Lemmy wept. "You're in a better place now, my friend."

geeves fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 11, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Of Flightless Birds And Good Canadian Boys

:effort:

No, this is a wonderful title.

I hated this book as a kid, but recently re-read it. :smith:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

So Letang was out there but I guess he was forbidden to lift the Cup? 35 pounds with neck surgery is probably not a good idea huh

Depends how long the surgery was. Also depends what was done / fused. I would guess ~6 weeks is decent enough and 2 months, definitely. I had a major surgery and broken bone and I was limited to lifting 10 then 15 then 20lbs over 2 months.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Not sure where another copy exists, but here's the Hockey Night in Canada montage

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/the-2017-hockey-night-in-canada-season-ending-montage-i-1796008573

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

iospace posted:

I'll asterisk the second one (I won't be alone on this one), but the first one was all him.

:stare: who's shot did he block again?

I can't remember who was making the shot, but Bonino left the game, then came back the next period and either played on a completely broken tibia or finished the job by playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/BeauWTAE/status/874116595479699457
I see that you are not wearing khakis this time Tayne

• Locked thread