Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Warrior Princess posted:

There are a few sweet slots for various nations. 3.7 to 4.3 is extremely good for Russia and Germany for example. 6.7 tends to be a good BR across the board. 4.3 used to be amazing as Japan with the Chi-To + Ki-43-III duo, but with the Chi-To now at 4.7, it gets sucked into 5.7 games forever and is dead to me.

Try a 5.0 Japan lineup with the Chi-Ri, Chi-To, and M24 (and B7A2 for CAS). The Chi-Ri is surprisingly mobile for its size and the 3-shot autoloader is magnificent. Gun still performs well which makes the Chi-To a capable backup and as long as you go for sideshots with the M24 the uptiering doesn't matter. The 800kg bomb is still king in a frame as agile as the B7A2, and you can play it as a fighter after dropping it too. One of my favourite lineups in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Warrior Princess posted:

There are a few sweet slots for various nations. 3.7 to 4.3 is extremely good for Russia and Germany for example. 6.7 tends to be a good BR across the board. 4.3 used to be amazing as Japan with the Chi-To + Ki-43-III duo, but with the Chi-To now at 4.7, it gets sucked into 5.7 games forever and is dead to me.

China probably has one of, if not the best mid-rank tank lineups anywhere. At 5.7 they get the T-34-85 S-53, T-34-85 Gai, Phong Khong T-34, M18 Hellcat, IS-2, and the M36 Jackson. That's not even counting the PT-76, ISU-152, or ISU-122 at 5.0-5.3, let alone the premium 5.7 T-34-85 and IS-2. It's the best medium tanks combined with the best tank destroyers.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Wow okay so the M22 owns.

My very first round in it and I pick up 4 kills and an assist.

Like the speed and nimbleness of the M2A4 but with a better gun and a not lovely silhouette.

Absolutely lethal in small town/urban areas.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 2, 2020

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

You're in for a great time for the M50 Ontos and M56 Scorpion if you can stick it out with the American tree to 6.7. :unsmigghh:

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

That's exactly where I'm at, and zipping around the map in these tiny tanks is awesome. You're super weak and even machine guns can kill you, but you have 6 guns with the Ontos! And the Scorpion reloads pretty quickly. I'm really enjoying this tier.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Check out the T114 premium tank, too. It's part of the 6.7 Small Tank squad, and one of my absolute favorite tanks. Sadly, it's way too expensive, even on sale, but imo it's worth getting if you like small tanks.

Fonjo
Jan 1, 2012
Is it alright if I toss the Discord invite to a few friends that are interested in joining LAME?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I played this game early in its beta/launch but none since. To what degree if at all is it Pay 2 Win / Pay 2 Avoid Horrific Grind? At launch it seemed perfectly fine, how to things stand now?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Diogines posted:

I played this game early in its beta/launch but none since. To what degree if at all is it Pay 2 Win / Pay 2 Avoid Horrific Grind? At launch it seemed perfectly fine, how to things stand now?

It's barely Pay 2 Win (though premium vehicles tend to take longer to get nerfed for... *some* reason...) and not really that pay to avoid grind until you reach the middle tiers at which point things slow down massively. If you're just interested past that point in aircraft you could probably get away with paying nothing at all and not have a huge inconvenience, tanks or boats though.... eugh.

Can definitely do a lot as a free player without being at too big of a disadvantage though, especially in the lower tiers.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The lower tiers are more fun in my opinion since you can actually have engagements that last longer than 1 shot.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Pay 2 win type poo poo rarely ever happens, but pay 2 grind less is definitely a constant problem.

I resigned myself to enjoying the tanks/planes I already had long ago when I decided to stop buying premium.

I also agree that the lower tiers are more fun anyways though so whatever lol

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah basically if you thrown in like $40 each year for premium time you're mostly good.

The only vehicles I'd argue are a *little* pay to win are some of the 9.0 premiums (Leo A1A1 L44, AMX 30 Super, etc...) because they let you get tank thermals earlier than is generally available in the tree.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At the very least get premium membership if you think you'll be playing this a lot. It'll help a ton with the grind.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
Premium vehicles are usually balanced until you get above 8.0 where they're often the best vehicles at their BR, for example the Leo A1A1 L44, there are also some hilariously OP naval vehicles at low tier, (P420 Sparviero, PG 02) but nobody cares about naval.
Often they're just very efficient at grinding, Vautour IIA, most of the premium jets.

Sometimes gaijin does something really dirty like the KA-50, where it was the best vehicle of its type in the entire game for months and still utterly dominates helicopter battles.

The real cost of the high tier premiums is that it fucks up the matchmaking and makes it a frustrating slog if you don't have them, if you queue at 8.0 you'll almost always get a 9.0 game with leopard l44s, they'll see you with their special eyes (thermals) and kill you before you even see them. Helicopter battles are a complete joke and its almost impossible to grind helos without a premium, and you'll be sniped from 8km with no recourse if its not a ka50.

If you enjoy the game up to 8.0, have some cash and want to progress beyond that its much less frustrating if you buy a premium to be on a level playing field. There's no real reason to buy any premium vehicles till you get that high, although lower tier premiums are often good silver lion farmers (but silver lion gain doesn't really matter until high tier) or weird amusing to play experimental crap.

If you enjoy the game and want to progress above 3.* or so then a premium account is fairly essential to avoid intense frustration. If you want to play this game for free then I'd recommend working on every nation through rank 2 (maybe low 3), its easy going at low tier and you can unlock everything in a reasonable amount of time.

astropika fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 4, 2020

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Premium time is always worth more than premium vehicles, and it's completely unneccesary until like tier 4. Premium vehicles are never really pay 2 win, though depending on the seasonal balance you might have a case where a premium vehicle is one of the strongest things in its bracket (the IS-6 is a notorious offender).

Unoriginality
Jan 1, 2008

Diogines posted:

The grind has actually gotten better since launch for planes, sort of. A couple years back, Gaijin reduced the rp requirements for modules on most planes below the (then) top tier of jets by like 70%. Actually making your plane not be an artificially crippled piece of poo poo is one of the worst parts of the game, and it's still a lovely and unfun slog, but it's a less asinine trek now.

There's absolutely pay2win in planes as well, but it's not actually a problem because of how loving godawful the average player is. I constantly see F-84s trying to turnfight props, Corsairs and P-47s trying to turnfight Zeroes, etc. gently caress, I've watched an undamaged Sabre voluntarily get into a horizontal turning contest with an F6F.

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Fonjo posted:

Is it alright if I toss the Discord invite to a few friends that are interested in joining LAME?

Are they goons and/or chill?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The only vehicles I'd argue are a *little* pay to win are some of the 9.0 premiums (Leo A1A1 L44, AMX 30 Super, etc...) because they let you get tank thermals earlier than is generally available in the tree.

*Laughs in B1 ter/German KV-1/RU-251/M4A1 FL10*

Fonjo
Jan 1, 2012

Zipline posted:

Are they goons and/or chill?

*Laughs in B1 ter/German KV-1/RU-251/M4A1 FL10*

One might be a goon. They are all chill though.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Yoooo, why on earth is this crazy thing not in the Swedish tank tree already? How cool is that

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

That thing's looking suspiciously like an AMX-50 except it's not as good.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I want my jeep line for USA.

Jeeps with fifties, jeeps with bazookas, jeeps with tows, jeeps with stingers...

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Danann posted:

Jeeps with fifties, jeeps with bazookas, jeeps with tows, jeeps with stingers...

No Jeep line will ever surpass this French masterpiece

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That thing's looking suspiciously like an AMX-50 except it's not as good.

It's lighter and has more armor, how is it "not as good"?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Danann posted:

Read that as Jeeps with titties and I immediately went :hmmyes: and even though that’s not what you said I still think Jeeps with titties would be cool.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

Read that as Jeeps with titties and I immediately went :hmmyes: and even though that’s not what you said I still think Jeeps with titties would be cool.

I'm sure there's an anime game where you can have a jeep with titties!

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcHxdX2p7RI

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I have found a new level of enjoyment in flying the Fw 190 A-1 in CARB. Maybe it's because I'm seal clubbing playing at BR 3.3, maybe it's because I'm also driving the Puma and the Pz IV F2, but I'm having great matches and some real quite nice plane kills.
There's just something about those Fw 190s that just really works.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It helps that in the early/mid tiers in CARB most plane pilots will get target fixation and never look up from the ground. It can make CARB games rival air RB in profitability.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

YF-23 posted:

It helps that in the early/mid tiers in CARB most plane pilots will get target fixation and never look up from the ground. It can make CARB games rival air RB in profitability.

I've had CARB matches in the 110 G2 with the anti-tank load out where I've managed to get four fighter kills because they were too focused on strafing tanks with MGs that can't do anything against them.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also I find most tankers to be bad pilots (but me being a pilot I am also a bad tanker so :haw:)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Q_res posted:

It's lighter and has more armor, how is it "not as good"?

It’s supposedly only got a 105mm gun.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The virgin 105mm howitzer vs the chad 75mm ATG

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It’s supposedly only got a 105mm gun.

The 105 was one of three options considered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stupid question, where in-game do you purchase the tokens for the summer event to get those vehicles?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Stupid question, where in-game do you purchase the tokens for the summer event to get those vehicles?

Go to your screen name -> achievements -> operation summer. It’ll give you the option to spend golden eagles to just buy the star.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
the plane will almost certainly be some small fraction of the cost to buy the stars if you wait and get it on the market, like 20 or 30 bucks maybe less

the tank, i dunno, but the aubl was like 20 bucks to buy on the market even though it cost 60 bucks or whatever to buy all the stars

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Any of you have top-tier Italian, French, Chinese, or Swedish ground vehicles and can give your thoughts on the lineups/vehicles?

hakimashou posted:

the plane will almost certainly be some small fraction of the cost to buy the stars if you wait and get it on the market, like 20 or 30 bucks maybe less

the tank, i dunno, but the aubl was like 20 bucks to buy on the market even though it cost 60 bucks or whatever to buy all the stars

Planning to earn as many stars as I can, buy the rest, and flip the vehicle coupons around Christmas time or when they spike in value. Last summer's top reward vehicles are going for 60 GJN right now, and with this year's tank being even harder to earn/higher tier, hopefully we'll get more

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zipline posted:

Any of you have top-tier Italian, French, Chinese, or Swedish ground vehicles and can give your thoughts on the lineups/vehicles?

Almost top tier France here, I'm working on the Leclerc. The AMX-32 (9.3) and AMX-40 (9.7) are quite similar tanks, a bit fragile but excellent APFSDS. The Leclerc is powerful with one of the strongest rounds in the game, and pretty good maneuverability to go with it. Repair costs are middling, though the Leclerc is pushing into the high costs that the French are known for, I believe.

On the flip side, getting these things spaded can be a pain. All 3 start with HEAT-FS, which doesn't always stand up at top tier, making the stock grind quite harsh. Also, the top SPAA, the Roland, is not the best top-tier AA, from what I understand, and your CAS options aren't the best.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hellgrinds mean if you play long enough cool poo poo happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91PnG3W1gHE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
No, hellgrinds mean you won't play long at all.