Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

November 1st is the game's anniversary, they always do an anniversary sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

come, come to me!

https://giant.gfycat.com/QueasySlipperyEmu.webm

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

High tier tanks seem to be a little bit of a poo poo show right now with Russians V everyone, Russians seem to be winning most of the time

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

that explosion with the wings just shattering off

:discourse:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There's an event this weekend: https://warthunder.com/en/news/6862-special-happy-tankers-day-en

Really easy one, just play 5 battles with Soviet tanks (tier 2 or higher), do literally anything in those matches, and get a couple decals.

More importantly, the KV-1E is on sale again. One of the most broken tanks in the game, it's better known as the KV-1B captured by the Germans. This is very worth getting, especially in the current volumetric shell meta, and it's only $20.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Next up: Shimakaze, but missing a turret

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Solumin posted:

There's an event this weekend: https://warthunder.com/en/news/6862-special-happy-tankers-day-en

Really easy one, just play 5 battles with Soviet tanks (tier 2 or higher), do literally anything in those matches, and get a couple decals.

More importantly, the KV-1E is on sale again. One of the most broken tanks in the game, it's better known as the KV-1B captured by the Germans. This is very worth getting, especially in the current volumetric shell meta, and it's only $20.

I was eyeing the KV-1E, but what lineup does it go with? Seems like it'd suck with 4.3 getting dragged to 5.3 while pulling up a 3.7 lineup doesn't seem worth over the regular KV-1 (L-11).

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

4.0 has a surprising amount of matches in it. If you do want the KV1E you must put it as your top battle rank tank, else all it will see is well tigers and panthers, and good luck with the L-11 gun with that.

The tiger has also seen a little bit of a resurgence as its mantle is now unpenable around its tier

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Shooting a guy down by hitting his rockets which killed his pilot is the coolest thing I've ever done in the game.

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
Playing with the Jumbo 75 Sherman is such a breath of fresh air in the US Tree. There's just something so amusing about going face-to-face against a Tiger and bouncing 90% of it's shots. gently caress the Panthers though.

How's the 76 Jumbo? I kinda assume that at its BR it's facing way to many opponents that can penetrate its frontal armor to be able to work like the 75 version. And then you might as well stick with all the other 76 Shermans.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

It kinda looks like they broke something today sever side, all the ground battles have been really small, 5V5s at some of the most populated brackets

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Last night I had a brief “SERVER NOT RESPONDING” message. :ohdear:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Njashi9 posted:

Playing with the Jumbo 75 Sherman is such a breath of fresh air in the US Tree. There's just something so amusing about going face-to-face against a Tiger and bouncing 90% of it's shots. gently caress the Panthers though.

How's the 76 Jumbo? I kinda assume that at its BR it's facing way to many opponents that can penetrate its frontal armor to be able to work like the 75 version. And then you might as well stick with all the other 76 Shermans.

I spaded both of them because I like to get my balls stomped on for pleasure, didn't know any better so I feel at least somewhat qualified to speak to this topic...

Exactly as you describe, the 75 Jumbo often feels like a better tank due to it's BR keeping it away from things that can lolpen it. Charging up to a wheraboo in a Tiger and shaking off his shots while you get around his flanks and pen him is pretty amusing. The 76 Jumbo is good but not great when top-tier, since you can frontally pen unangled Tigers, and stand a decent chance against most other tank's you'll encounter, but ANY uptier is going to gently caress you.

...And as an American tank, you WILL be uptiered. All the time.

In a 6.3 or (Jesus help you) 6.7 battle, your armor may as well not be there, your gun is marginal at best, and you have possibly the worst overall mobility on the field.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I like the new volumetric armor, but it's kinda sad that the 3.7 USSR lineup is probably going to get majorly shafted with a BR increase. I imagine all the Shermans are going to get moved up again as well?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

T34s and KV-1s maybe if they don't fix that tracks are absorbing shots again.

As for shermans, depends, some have a new weakspot where the lower hull that holds the transmission is connected to the rest of the hull, only tested it on the early ones but I think it should be there for all M4A4 versions that are not jumbos.

It could be a hold weakpoint that no one bothered to learn, but hey its there

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Stevefin posted:

As for shermans, depends, some have a new weakspot where the lower hull that holds the transmission is connected to the rest of the hull, only tested it on the early ones but I think it should be there for all M4A4 versions that are not jumbos.

It could be a hold weakpoint that no one bothered to learn, but hey its there

theres also the gyro stabilizer buff w the shermans

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Wait their gyro got a buff? Why? it is so good as it was?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Stevefin posted:

Wait their gyro got a buff? Why? it is so good as it was?

It works up to 25 kph or something instead of ~14 kph; it's one of those "we confirmed via a field manual" or something changes. Great for the tank though since 25 is pretty much full speed outside of booking it on a road/flat grass.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Stevefin posted:

Mentioned it earlier, but KV-1/2 tracks have hitboxes that are larger than the rendered models due to the sag in them. It's sort of like shooting over the edge of a rock and your round hitting an invisible surface a few inches above it.

Aim extra-low when going for lower hull shots from the side.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Discovery: You can alter the number of shells your vehicles carry from the hanger, without going into a match.

To do so click a vehicle you have purchased or are able to research, select Test Drive, and you will be given the choice of what ammunition to use and how much. This is then carried over into actual battles.

Note that I haven't tested what happens if you do this on a tank you are researching, then unlock and purchase that tank. Since you can only mess with a tank's default shells if you don't already own it I'm assuming it will still carry over, but who knows.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i like those saggy track girls

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zipline posted:

Discovery: You can alter the number of shells your vehicles carry from the hanger, without going into a match.

To do so click a vehicle you have purchased or are able to research, select Test Drive, and you will be given the choice of what ammunition to use and how much. This is then carried over into actual battles.

Note that I haven't tested what happens if you do this on a tank you are researching, then unlock and purchase that tank. Since you can only mess with a tank's default shells if you don't already own it I'm assuming it will still carry over, but who knows.

This was added this patch, btw. It used to be that you couldn't select what ammo you brought into test drives.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Solumin posted:

This was added this patch, btw. It used to be that you couldn't select what ammo you brought into test drives.

You could use the test drive workaround since like two years ago

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah you’ve been able to swap ammo in test drive menu for some time

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Couldn't pick the exact number of shells though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its probably just because I notice it more, but I find when playing in BR 2.X i am almost always in BR 3.x which is a big problem because my little popguns can't do anything to the mess of KVs that are running around at 3.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Russian tanks are really popular right now, especially the 3.7 (T-34, KV-1) and 4.3 (T-34-57, the better KV-1) so unfortunately 2.7 is going to get uptiered hard.

It's possible those Russian tanks will get their BRs increased, but it won't be particularly soon, I think.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Solumin posted:

Russian tanks are really popular right now, especially the 3.7 (T-34, KV-1) and 4.3 (T-34-57, the better KV-1) so unfortunately 2.7 is going to get uptiered hard.

It's possible those Russian tanks will get their BRs increased, but it won't be particularly soon, I think.

Yea, I'm trying to unlock the M4 and I'm up against almost entirely KV enemy teams.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

twistedmentat posted:

Its probably just because I notice it more, but I find when playing in BR 2.X i am almost always in BR 3.x which is a big problem because my little popguns can't do anything to the mess of KVs that are running around at 3.

Pick something that can reliably break the KV-1's breech, then flank. My favourite KV Hunter is the puma for that exact reason. The APCR always takes out the breech, and the APHE Hills the crew from the side nearly every time with one shot. The Brits entire lineup of fast tanks is great for that, and the US (M3?) is as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blistex posted:

Pick something that can reliably break the KV-1's breech, then flank. My favourite KV Hunter is the puma for that exact reason. The APCR always takes out the breech, and the APHE Hills the crew from the side nearly every time with one shot. The Brits entire lineup of fast tanks is great for that, and the US (M3?) is as well.

That doesn't work when I'm working on Italian tanks.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Ah, yeah, Tier 2 Italy is a rough time. Tool around in the AB 43 + some of the Tier 1 tanks and you might have a better time. Take whatever 2.7 or above thing you have off of your bar and don't go above 2.3.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

twistedmentat posted:

That doesn't work when I'm working on Italian tanks.

Oh. . . I see.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Playing lipservice to getting into this again, because fancy modern planes.

China got added! (And Sweden.) China looks vaguely like a greatest hits of west/east in either line, is that vaguely true and worthwhile?

And are boats still kinda... there?

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Playing lipservice to getting into this again, because fancy modern planes.

China got added! (And Sweden.) China looks vaguely like a greatest hits of west/east in either line, is that vaguely true and worthwhile?

And are boats still kinda... there?

You've pretty much got it right. China can get a nice lineup with both an M18 and a T-34-85 but is sorta sparse at most tiers, and boats continue to exist I guess.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ArchRanger posted:

boats continue to exist I guess.

But not for very long once someone starts to shoot at them.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Someone talk me down from learning how to play helicopters.

I'm already trying to spade the Leclerc and grind top-tier jets, I don't need to make myself more miserable.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Solumin posted:

Someone talk me down from learning how to play helicopters.

I'm already trying to spade the Leclerc and grind top-tier jets, I don't need to make myself more miserable.

Air to air missile helis will stop you wanting to play them so don't worry

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Stevefin posted:

Air to air missile helis will stop you wanting to play them so don't worry

Not only will you not want you, you quite literally won't be able to as you get sniped by them 30 seconds after take off. Have fun with your dumb-fire rockets and sad machine guns, nerd!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

With starting helis, the AH-1G is probably the best one. I've also had decent luck with the Japanese starting Huey. As long as you use them early enough that AA and air cover hasn't spawned you can get a kill or two with the rockets. The starting Russian Mi-4 is too large and slow to do the same; maybe you can get some mileage out of it once you unlock the ATGMs, but otherwise it's miserable.

Starting helis with ATGMs are in a rough spot where they can do pretty well, but their range limitation means you're pretty easy prey for AA (which will have spawned by the time you can take out the heli, since helis with ATGMs can't be spawned with the starting amount of spawn points). You are completely reliant on the enemy team being negligent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The biggest issue is the grind is drat near impossible without just grabbing one of the expensive premiums.

You've got two options with choppers: playing them in ground RB or in helicopter EC. The former takes ages because even with a couple kills you might get like...2000RP per match? The latter slams all choppers from 8.3-10.7 into the same match so you just get AA missile'd instantly in your starter 8.3 helicopter with no way to respond.

The first chopper you can research in each line is 180K RP. Unless they've changed something recently all others are 390k.