Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I much prefer the Yak-9T for low altitude pineapple shooters. It’s fast and although you’ll be at lower altitude from stuff like Bf-109s, you’ll often surprise them with how much energy you have, since the lawnmowers they normally encounter are sitting ducks. The 37mm cannon is also way better. When you get the new cannons mod you can reasonably accurately fire 2-3 round bursts with it. You cannot do that with the P-39’s cannon. Also you can make shots over a km away if it’s against something flying in a straight line like a bomber. The only down side to the Yak is the break-up speed is a little less than 700kph whereas the P-39’s is what, like 900? Your controls will be completely locked up but you won’t fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thanks for all the advice, especially the optimal altitudes, that's good to know.

i ground out most of the russia tree up to 7.0 or so before moving over to US. Way prefer the US planes in general. i find the p-39 really forgiving and it has a ton more ammo than i'm used to so even my bad gunnery works ok with it.

im only starting to get ok at dogfighting, keeping track of my opponents energy kicking the rudder, etc. has been super fun though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dr.Radical posted:

I much prefer the Yak-9T for low altitude pineapple shooters. It’s fast and although you’ll be at lower altitude from stuff like Bf-109s, you’ll often surprise them with how much energy you have, since the lawnmowers they normally encounter are sitting ducks. The 37mm cannon is also way better. When you get the new cannons mod you can reasonably accurately fire 2-3 round bursts with it. You cannot do that with the P-39’s cannon. Also you can make shots over a km away if it’s against something flying in a straight line like a bomber. The only down side to the Yak is the break-up speed is a little less than 700kph whereas the P-39’s is what, like 900? Your controls will be completely locked up but you won’t fall apart.

I once got a 1 km kill with the 37mm on a Bf 109 while it was in a dogfight with my teammates :allears:

In air rb, too!

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Just started playing this with some friends. Is there an auto tracking feature like in world of tanks? I could right click a tank and my turret would track. I can see the option in the controls setting but it's not really doing what I expect.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

There is a gun laying feature for sim battles in tanks. The option you are looking at is just to track your camera movement to the enemy which only works in air rb or arcade. Right now there is no feature for target tracking except on SPAAs with radar, but the new patch that's coming up looks like it might have some HUD and gameplay changes.

Finally there is an option where you can move the turret to your desired target while in binocular view. I think it's right click by default. It doesn't change range, just moved the turret to the croshair of your binoculars FYI.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 20, 2021

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Ah that's helpful. We're usually playing in realistic mode so I guess no auto tracking for me

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

punishedkissinger posted:

...and it has a ton more ammo than i'm used to so even my bad gunnery works ok with it.

Wait till you get to the meat of the tree with 6 or 8 M2s and nearly limitless ammo...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Stuff from the latest dev stream: https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/lo8w70/a_proper_tldw_for_the_russian_and_english_dev/

Notably, Britain is getting a ton of armored cars, both native and South African. Russia's getting a new BT-7, Italy's getting a Pz III and IV, and Germany is getting.... another Leo at 10.0.

Edit: it's unclear to me if the various SA cars will be in the British tree or the recently-announced South African nation tree.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 21, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Solumin posted:

Edit: it's unclear to me if the various SA cars will be in the British tree or the recently-announced South African nation tree.

It's not a South African nation, it's a specific SA branch in the UK tree.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
yay now italian spaghetti shooter mains can bring germany 4.0!! yay!!!!

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I noticed there's a spotting stat. How does spotting work in this game (specifically in realistic since that's what I play most)? Are tanks invisible after a certain range?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I think skill determines the range at which you can spot something, as in marking a target for your teammates to see. If your skills are super low, you might see a target at 1000m and click on it to "spot it", but it's out of range and won't register. If your skills are at maximum, you can spot that target and ones out past 1600m or something like that. Also I think skill affects how long a target is marked for, and how accurate the marking is on the map and in other people's gun sights, etc.

Tanks that are line of sight should always be visible through your optics barring obstructions or atmospheric interference.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Blistex posted:

I think skill determines the range at which you can spot something, as in marking a target for your teammates to see. If your skills are super low, you might see a target at 1000m and click on it to "spot it", but it's out of range and won't register. If your skills are at maximum, you can spot that target and ones out past 1600m or something like that. Also I think skill affects how long a target is marked for, and how accurate the marking is on the map and in other people's gun sights, etc.

gently caress i always assumed this was bugged

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Keen vision only really affects Arcade mode where players have name tags and tank identification that are affected by crew skills. There is the thing in RB where you get small pips on the edges of your screen that shows the general direction of enemy tanks that show up depending on your crew skill. It doesn't affect target marking using binoculars those work at whatever ranges, but it is buggy due to gaijin being gaijin. Tanks do fade in and out ingame, but that has more to do with how the game determines what is in line of sight and game engine limitations rather than your crew skills or tanks. The other thing that affects enemy markers is the radio operator, but that only affects minimap display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oh5LHfaexA

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 21, 2021

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Is there a way I can increase the mouse wheel zoom speed when I'm scoped in a tank? It's so painfully slow

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is there a way I can increase the mouse wheel zoom speed when I'm scoped in a tank? It's so painfully slow

There should be a mouse well multiplier option in the menu. It should have its own little section since the mousewheel can be set to different things other than zoom. Tbh you should just get used to using no magnification to full magnification (default is Z key I think) since most vehicles have very little magnifications and you want more FOV while in gunner view anyways. Alos I prefer having the mouse wheel set to gun ranging rather than zoom, since that is way more useful in practice.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, always be ranging your gun. For APHE slingers I like to set it to 200m or so as this means that I can snap shot out to about 500m if I aim at the turret top. If I'm fighting at range, it means I can be quicker on the draw for peeking and poking and also adjust to other targets approximate to that range better.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

ughhhh posted:

There should be a mouse well multiplier option in the menu. It should have its own little section since the mousewheel can be set to different things other than zoom. Tbh you should just get used to using no magnification to full magnification (default is Z key I think) since most vehicles have very little magnifications and you want more FOV while in gunner view anyways. Alos I prefer having the mouse wheel set to gun ranging rather than zoom, since that is way more useful in practice.

I would use the mouse wheel to control range if it wasn't completely broken. It just jiggles around when I move the mouse wheel no matter what I change in the settings.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 21, 2021

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Keen Vision is primarily for arcade, but it has some edge cases where it's useful in realistic as well. When your crew initially spots a target that's off your personal field of view you will get a small arrow at the edge of the screen pointing you towards them; this is extremely easy to miss and you'll notice it most easily when an enemy plane spawns in since it will likely be against the sky. That arrow also goes away after a bit and the target has to be lost and then then re-spotted for the arrow to show up again.

I believe (though am not entirely certain about this) the "absolute detection distance" also matters for realistic, by being the distance in which tanks get rendered even if they're behind cover, so you get less models popping up suddenly and catching you by surprise.

Blistex posted:

Tanks that are line of sight should always be visible through your optics barring obstructions or atmospheric interference.

Again not certain about the skill helping with spotting triggering correctly, though it feels like it. I am, however, certain that it does not affect the length of time the scouting is active for; that is a flat value that used to be 30 seconds, but was buffed a while back to 45 seconds (along with a faster cooldown on missed scouts). Also reasonably confident that the scout marker has a set variance from the scouted vehicle's position that is unaffected by crew stats.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I’ve got like 2k hours alt tabbed in this game and never seen these supposed arrows

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I’ve got like 2k hours alt tabbed in this game and never seen these supposed arrows

They are very, very subtle but I've definitely been saved a couple times by noticing them in tanks and looking off to my sides in the brush. Also, they work reasonably well for planes when you're in AA and zoomed in third person

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
After the joy of repeatedly slamming my dick in the door exercise in frustration that is the Mystere IIA and it's godawful tickle-guns - death by Sabres and MiGs oh my! Mystere IIC is almost a joy in comparison. Sure it's not that much better an aircraft, but those 30mm cannon are a godsend for snapshots, or even popping pillboxes when you get teamed with US players and fully half the team is A4 suicide squad.

Anyway, I've nearly got it spaded and I'm trying to decide what to do next - go for a G91 palate cleanser or move onto the Super Mystere.

I guess my question is, is the Super Mystere similar enough to the bog standard Mystere that I won't have to relearn how to fight with it? - Having worked through the Ouragan, the Barougan and both Mysteres recently.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Flannelette posted:

I would use the mouse wheel to control range if it wasn't completely broken. It just jiggles around when I move the mouse wheel no matter what I change in the settings.

Double check if you have an external app that controls your mouse settings like the logitech app etc. They sometimes messup the mouse scroll input.

Those little triangles are amazing for me since I usually play with youtube or shows playing in a second monitor without a headset, so it acts as if I have positional audio.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 21, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ughhhh posted:

I usually play with youtube or shows playing in a second monitor without a headset

:magical:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

X2

Headphones and a quiet environment is almost like having wallhack on.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

ive been playing since open beta, i have become one with the game at this point.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ughhhh posted:

ive been playing since open beta, i have become one with the game at this point.

fair enough. im trash so i need every bit of focus and advantage i can get

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

WebDO posted:

They are very, very subtle but I've definitely been saved a couple times by noticing them in tanks and looking off to my sides in the brush. Also, they work reasonably well for planes when you're in AA and zoomed in third person

If the enemy is that close to you and you need arrows to notice them, you need to crank the "other engines" audio setting way up.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

If the enemy is that close to you and you need arrows to notice them, you need to crank the "other engines" audio setting way up.

They aren't close. I've looked across the jungle/beach map from the water to catch a cheeky bastard on the southern hills because of it

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

ughhhh posted:

Double check if you have an external app that controls your mouse settings like the logitech app etc. They sometimes messup the mouse scroll input.

I have one that lets most of the mouse work but even switched off it still does it, just jiggles up in different amounts and goes up in the range but won't go down without scrolling for ages to get to jiggle down a bit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Guess who realised on basically the last day that you have to go to a separate screen to collect the rewards from Battle Pass challenges?

Turns out I did get the Corsair!

e: a 6.3 that goes 700kph and has an 810% SL modifier? Well this is interesting.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 22, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alchenar posted:

Guess who realised on basically the last day that you have to go to a separate screen to collect the rewards from Battle Pass challenges?

Gaijin’s skill at UI design is surpassed only by their indifference to their customers.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
wat?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
So uh Ground RB is getting tactical nukes:

3000 spawn points is a lot, so I expect they won't be a common sight, like the nukes in ground AB. Also interesting to see they're limited to Russia and... America, Britain and France, depending on the tier? Unless the Canberra means the B-57 also carries it, maybe?

Unless it functions just like arcade and the plane is added to your bar or something.

E: Re-reading it and yeah, that's what it sounds like. Get 3k spawn points and you get the option to spawn in the nuke-carrying plane.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 4, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Way to go, snail. Way to go.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

That's going to be kind interesting, as usually the matches where I get 3k SP are when the team has melted around me, so to get the option to just flip over the table and win anyway will be lol.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So how far away is the nuke plane going to spawn? I don't imagine that it's going to be the usual ~1:30 flight time.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
lol remember joking they would add nukes

2021 gonna be lit af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
the far more important part of the update is CRUSADER CONFIRMED