Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It sounds to me like you want to drop the Jumbo. Try it and see! You can always add it back later.

For tiny tims, try to set up your attack the same way every time: same speed, angle, and altitude. Much easier to learn their quirks that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

Thanks again!

I finally unlocked the AMX-13 DCA 40, but unsure of what to swap out in my line-up. I like having both AMX-13 and EBR 1951 in my line-up for scouting, I like the airplane (though I should learn to aim my tiny tims more effectively) and I think the SA50 is probably necessary. That leaves the ARL-44 or Jumbo as tanks to drop from my line-up to include the DCA 40. I'm leaning towards dropping the jumbo: I haven't had a lot of success with it (in part due to the game just giving me wide open maps 24/7 where I am max uptiered, so I just get knocked out if I take it for a spin and would rather rely on mobility to survive)

I'm not a fan of the Jumbo these days, exactly because it just gets uptiered to BRs where every other tonk can easily pen it. I really feel like the meta in this game is to either go fast or have the big gun
With Tiny Tims, one thing that threw me off a lot is that they take a bit of time to launch. What I did in all my rocketing runs was to release them and then instantly snap out of the dive, which just means they get dragged up together with the plane and shoot way above where I aimed. You need to make sure they set off before you change direction

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
literally reinstalling this twice in one week

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

verbal enema posted:

literally reinstalling this twice in one week

knowing how much machine gun ammo you have left is pretty neat

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Farecoal posted:

This was a much needed change and I'm shocked it took this long.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Farecoal posted:

But I still can't figure out the pen rate of my loving 20mm gun on the French amx line.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ughhhh posted:

But I still can't figure out the pen rate of my loving 20mm gun on the French amx line.

I know what tanks you mean, but saying "amx line" is like saying m-series to refer to US equipment.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

ughhhh posted:

It has a HVAP-T round with 57mm pen at 10m/0º.

EDIT:
IIRC it's basically the same as the default belt on the R3 T-20

HTH

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 11, 2022

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Amx-30 line you nerds!

Shanakin posted:

It has a HVAP-T round with 57mm pen at 10m/0º.

EDIT:
IIRC it's basically the same as the default belt on the R3 T-20

HTH

Yhea but I can't see it on the ammo list for penetration simulation in the hangar and I didn't have the energy to go to the wiki to look at it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
airplanes kicks rear end im having much more fun

this may also be because i think im over RB and AB is just fast fun and neat i got my first non biplane!

also did our CharlieFoxtrot make the Hell's Angel pinup girl decal? if so that kicks rear end and is on all my planes

e: planes is for assholes nvm i slammed into the guy who killed me planes is cool again

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 11, 2022

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6a1BbX__mg

gaijin sucks, but their social media team sometimes posts gold

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i doubt any way of flying is better than any other unless u have a joystick for ultimate coolness but do u guys use mouse flying?

it works but also its a lil odd :/

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

verbal enema posted:

i doubt any way of flying is better than any other unless u have a joystick for ultimate coolness but do u guys use mouse flying?

The accuracy of instructor mouse aiming is too good, it trumps other control schemes just because of that

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

BMan posted:

The accuracy of instructor mouse aiming is too good, it trumps other control schemes just because of that

none of these words are in the bible what does this mean

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

verbal enema posted:

none of these words are in the bible what does this mean

mouse good, joystick worse

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

verbal enema posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PERXEdgzHg

cowboy boots, VR, joystick and being a helicopter main.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Gaijin actually holds a patent for the mouse aiming system, it's legitimately really good. But I definitely recommending using keys sometimes, because some actions (e.g. rudder flips) are hard/impossible to do with just the mouse.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I've noticed you can do harder turns with the elevators using WASD

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's also common to use keyboard controls to steer and the mouse to manipulate the camera to keep an eye on your enemy's position.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i also use my keyboard yeah

is there a free camera button in air battle or at all?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

verbal enema posted:

i also use my keyboard yeah

is there a free camera button in air battle or at all?

c

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

goddamnit

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

If you are ever wondering, war thunder has a relatively simple control management system. The search bar under control options is pretty good in finding what you are looking for as long as you have some of the key words in and in the right mode( tank, plane, sim etc), and binding/rebinding anything is pretty simple. You can also use sim mode control bindings such as closing radiator covers etc to eek out that last bit of performance.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
if you watch some of the real dogfighting wizards on youtube it looks like they're basically in freelook mode most of the time and flying with the keyboard, but sometimes you'd still see the mouse control cursor (grey ring) on screen anyway. I never understood how that worked until I watched DEFYN's tutorial video on it and it turns out they actually don't freelook that much, it's more common that they use the mouse controls and the keyboard commands at the same time, and more often than not use the keyboard commands to kinda counter half of what the mouse controls are doing. I haven't really gotten the hang of it yet myself but I think I get the advantages of it.

DEFYN is very good at flying but unfortunately not that good at explaining, but here's the tutorial vid anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLwcSHURTt8

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

TheFluff posted:

if you watch some of the real dogfighting wizards on youtube it looks like they're basically in freelook mode most of the time and flying with the keyboard, but sometimes you'd still see the mouse control cursor (grey ring) on screen anyway. I never understood how that worked until I watched DEFYN's tutorial video on it and it turns out they actually don't freelook that much, it's more common that they use the mouse controls and the keyboard commands at the same time, and more often than not use the keyboard commands to kinda counter half of what the mouse controls are doing. I haven't really gotten the hang of it yet myself but I think I get the advantages of it.

DEFYN is very good at flying but unfortunately not that good at explaining, but here's the tutorial vid anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLwcSHURTt8

This makes a lot of sense

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I put freelook on ctrl so that I can use it nonstop while also having full access to WASD for pitch/roll

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I have freelook on RMB, very ingrained habit from other games

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

ughhhh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6a1BbX__mg

gaijin sucks, but their social media team sometimes posts gold

drat I thought this song sounded familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zTGaOAs7M

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Pretty sure I would have been a great musician if my parents called me 'Blues'.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

ughhhh posted:

texan vr chopper dude owns

yeah joystick only is good in sim modes or if you're flying helos like that maniac in rb

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I played ships for the first time the other day and despite feeling like I did awfully and accidentally almost charging into the entire enemy team I still kept topping the leaderboard by a country mile. I guess reserve ships with no AP shells can take a pounding and people have no idea how to aim even more than usual.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Don't you play with bots for your first matches in each game mode? So that you don't die to seal clubbers and have a good time at the top of the score board?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

ughhhh posted:

Amx-30 line you nerds!

Yhea but I can't see it on the ammo list for penetration simulation in the hangar and I didn't have the energy to go to the wiki to look at it.

Just use the R-3 T-20, HVAP-T. It's got the same in game stats. Actually I'm pretty sure IRL both guns straight up use the same cartridge taken from the Hispano-Suiza HS.820

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ughhhh posted:

what the gently caress

e: how do i have a premium japanese torpedo boat? some ancient event ot something? its the Type T-14 Mod. 1

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 11, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

verbal enema posted:

what the gently caress

e: how do i have a premium japanese torpedo boat? some ancient event ot something? its the Type T-14 Mod. 1

I want like a version of War Thunder that's VR but you're sharing the tank with others.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Raenir Salazar posted:

I want like a version of War Thunder that's VR but you're sharing the tank with others.

I had a dream that the snail made ground simulator battles multi-crew.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
boats kicks rear end

my dinky lil biplanes do like 1 dmg to boats but w/e

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
I've started watching WT youtubers late at night while feeding my new born. Dollar Plays makes navy look like a ton of fun, and I'm wondering which nation is best for big gun slug fests?

I played US naval to cruisers a forever ago, but I don't really want to play them since it Moffet spam 24/7. Any others that focus on just big rear end guns over everything else?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah freelook on the mouse somewhere is the way to go.

Using the keyboard to get the "plane heading" reticle on target then letting go of freelook helps keep targets in sight when switching between keyboard and mouse control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

behold as the enemy team hands me a free ace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKijekA-7J8