Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Action-Bastard posted:

I've been doing 7.7 American jets for a few weeks and have been having trouble learning all the Soviet aircraft.

So, with a help of the laminator at work I made this:

Yes I know it's not perfect, but it killed a half hour and will work until they change BRs in the next update :v:

I learned most of Russia's Cold War era NATO reporting names via old Microprose simulators. They are almost never referenced in WT though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Punished Ape posted:

I learned most of Russia's Cold War era NATO reporting names via old Microprose simulators. They are almost never referenced in WT though. :(

Same! I can never remember AA/AAA designations either NATO or Soviet though.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

BadOptics posted:

Same! I can never remember AA/AAA designations either NATO or Soviet though.

I remember those based on how dangerous they were. SA-2 Goas (the ones on that USSR ship coming out next patch) could almost be ignored, Geckos (similar to what's on the Strela SPAA) were absolute nightmares for helicopters. Then for tanks Spigot/Spandrel (BMP 1) could be ignored frontally, Spirals and Songsters were Bad News.

It's kind of funny looking back and seeing the mix of guesswork, technological limitations, and maybe hubris that went into making those games. Like the T-80 was presented as a worse M1 and the T-90 was just a rumor because it was still a prototype in '89.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Vampire Panties posted:

Usually the last 20-30 shells are stored in the turret, or along the turret walls (:dogstare:)

It does have real life sense - you wouldn't want your loader to rummage through the whole tank to grab a random shell to fire when he has one within arms reach. Reload time was probably a much higher priority than 'what if we're shot into the side turret and die from ammo cooking instead of dying from all the shrapnel'.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Action-Bastard posted:

I've been doing 7.7 American jets for a few weeks and have been having trouble learning all the Soviet aircraft.

So, with a help of the laminator at work I made this:

Yes I know it's not perfect, but it killed a half hour and will work until they change BRs in the next update :v:

keep an eye out for downtiered mig-19s that are up high and going very fast - they are generally players that know what they're doing and will kill the poo poo out of stragglers after the initial merge cools down

also the su-9. noobs buy the su-11 and get mocked in chat when they die but su-9 is basically the tech tree version and one of the most overperforming planes in the game

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Thief posted:

also the su-9. noobs buy the su-11 and get mocked in chat when they die but su-9 is basically the tech tree version and one of the most overperforming planes in the game

Absolutely not, the Su-11 engines are far more powerful (I already said this in discord last time you mentioned it)

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

su 11 players are generally bad lol

the su9 gets into the same matches practically and there's nothing it faces that give it a problem. they're a much rarer sight than the su11 in that bracket

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Man, I am loving me my Jadpanzer IV. It's low, fast and when I sneak behind the lines and hit people from the sides and rear that 75mm cannon just wrecks them. Working on the Panther D right now, hope to have it tomorrow. Next up would be the Panzer IV/70, which looks to be even better than the Jadpanzer IV.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Panzer IV/70 had an insane repair bill, so I never really fielded it 'cause I wouldn't get anywhere for a kill. Started feeling bad for the ones I caught with a t-34 to the flank. is the huge SL repair price because of gajin's balancing?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yes. The goal is to make you break even when you use the vehicle, so the repair cost is roughly equivalent to how much SL gaijin expects you to make with that vehicle on average.

This doesn't apply to premium vehicles, unless they're egregiously over-performing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Punished Ape posted:

I purposefully use NATO reporting names and identifiers just to piss off the tankies.

It’s not a 9M169, it’s a loving AT-16; Suck all of my dicks, tankie gently caress.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

I purposefully use NATO reporting names and identifiers just to piss off the tankies.

It’s not a 9M169, it’s a loving AT-16; Suck all of my dicks, tankie gently caress.

you sound angry

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Truga posted:

you sound angry

We play War Thunder. It’s pretty on-brand.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Did everyone stand up and clap afterwards?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

YF-23 posted:

Did everyone stand up and clap afterwards?

This is less of a standing crowd and more of a slam their canes on the ground in unison crowd.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

MrYenko posted:

Are "tankies" in the room with us right now?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Type “Slava Ukraine” in chat and try to survive as long as you can, it’s a fun mini game if you’re bored of fighting the red team and want to give the blue team a shot

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I remember doing that with "Islam is the light" in World of Tanks a decade ago

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Lol. A true victory in the posting wars

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Are "tankies" in the room with us right now?

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 6, 2023

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Owning the Nazis but saying Mark V instead of Sonderkraftfahrzeug 171.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Vengarr posted:

Type “Slava Ukraine” in chat and try to survive as long as you can, it’s a fun mini game if you’re bored of fighting the red team and want to give the blue team a shot

can only talk about EU servers but there's almost never any arguments over this poo poo? Even with tanks with Russian and Ukraine flags painted all over their tanks, sitting next to each other. Where are all these very angry servers?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I've had Brazilians get pissed at me for having Ukrainian markings on my Russian poo poo. People are weird.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Q_res posted:

I've had Brazilians get pissed at me for having Ukrainian markings on my Russian poo poo. People are weird.

try telling them Alberto Santos-Dumont killed himself because the Wright Brothers actually learned how to fly

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Got my Panther D. Jesus what a shell sponge that thing is. I probably took about 20 hits during a long range duel in the Berlin map. Got about 5 kills from 600-800 meters and no one even hurt me except getting tracked.

Also, FWIW, I think its _really_ stupid that we need to research parts when we get a new tank.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Q_res posted:

Argentina > Brazil works amazingly well too

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
drat Russian 12.7mm and 20mm Shvak armaments do not mess around.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

arcade mode is pretty chill. people actually type a little bit in air arcade and are mostly nice

i was shocked because this game can be rage inducing. WoT had way more rage

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
WoT was one of the most racist game I have ever played. Just spectacularly vile chat in every match. Beaten only by Holdfast and it's servers populated solely with neo-nazis playing Hitler speeches on comms.

War Thunder is better in general, and the option to just turn chat off makes things so much more pleasant.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

War Thunder is one of those games where its often better to turn the profanity filter on so you know when an angry russian is cursing at you.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

MrYenko posted:

I'm sure they are all very mad this very moment

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Got me the Panzer IV/70. Looks like a fish, steers like a cow. God this thing is slow as hell

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Fun fact, irl it was known as Guderian's Duck and was infamous for the ability to jam its gun barrel into the ground and foul it if you were careless going down a slope.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Q_res posted:

Fun fact, irl it was known as Guderian's Duck and was infamous for the ability to jam its gun barrel into the ground and foul it if you were careless going down a slope.

I've done that on a few missions, and I was very happy they don't model barrel obstructions.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
This is my problem with the current BR settings and the economy. Say I'm in a BR 5.7 Tiger or Panther, and I enter a match to get a full uptier against me, so I could be facing Tiger IIs, M26s, or SU-122's. Now, I'm probably going to die fairly fast in these matches or I'm going to play a really boring game. Either way, its not much fun. Worse, tank repairs can be expensive and I'm sure it gets even worse the higher you go.

So whats the logical person going to do? Play something cheap to repair, die and leave the match after 1 death. Suddenly half my team is gone after 5 minutes and we are getting wrecked.

I'd rather have a longer queue and stay near my BR rating rather than leave a game after 1 death.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I love fighting the Pr 206 in naval. It's very fun and cool

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Cimber posted:

This is my problem with the current BR settings and the economy. Say I'm in a BR 5.7 Tiger or Panther, and I enter a match to get a full uptier against me, so I could be facing Tiger IIs, M26s, or SU-122's. Now, I'm probably going to die fairly fast in these matches or I'm going to play a really boring game. Either way, its not much fun. Worse, tank repairs can be expensive and I'm sure it gets even worse the higher you go.

So whats the logical person going to do? Play something cheap to repair, die and leave the match after 1 death. Suddenly half my team is gone after 5 minutes and we are getting wrecked.

I'd rather have a longer queue and stay near my BR rating rather than leave a game after 1 death.

Full uptier you'll only see 1 or 2 +1 vehicles though. I usually just play more passively, let my +1 BR allies do the pushing, and figure I'll just support by flanking.

Full uptier also makes planes cheaper so have the option to either be a CAS or bring out a K4 and smash enemy CAS.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got bored suffering through American jets so I went back to Russian planes and I'm into the tier 4 fighters. I am really enjoying the Yak-9U and I'm wondering what I should go for next. Is the Yak-3U worth it? Or the Yak-9P? I can't really get a hold of the La-7. The I-225 looks to be absurdly well armed but is it held back by performance?

What planes should i be looking at if I really enjoy the 9U?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I got bored suffering through American jets so I went back to Russian planes and I'm into the tier 4 fighters. I am really enjoying the Yak-9U and I'm wondering what I should go for next. Is the Yak-3U worth it? Or the Yak-9P? I can't really get a hold of the La-7. The I-225 looks to be absurdly well armed but is it held back by performance?

What planes should i be looking at if I really enjoy the 9U?

the yak9u variants after that one are among the most highly moddable fighters in the game so you can tweak them to perform exactly to your liking or just stack the biggest guns on there

the i225 is best used at higher altitudes but you'll be facing the best energy fighters up there at that rank so you gotta be ready to deal with that. its a lot different gameplay than what russians specialize in - which is medium/low altutude furball dogfighting

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Pretty much every Yak is great. I like the 3P the most because it's red and cheaper to repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Thief posted:

the yak9u variants after that one are among the most highly moddable fighters in the game so you can tweak them to perform exactly to your liking or just stack the biggest guns on there

the i225 is best used at higher altitudes but you'll be facing the best energy fighters up there at that rank so you gotta be ready to deal with that. its a lot different gameplay than what russians specialize in - which is medium/low altutude furball dogfighting

The i225 is a monster in a downtier. I fear nothing but P-38s, basically.