Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hegel Exercises posted:

how to the gently caress do you not waste your time in ARB with stock planes? i'm at the point where i need to do them to advance and battle mode in this garbage loving game is the loving worst. love to spend 30 minutes of my time for 200 xp. really gonna take a while to unlock the poo poo you need for the plane not to be a piece of poo poo :allears:

i hate this loving game

e: its apparently strafing poo poo :sigh:

why can't they do the same thing with air that the did with ground with spawn point?

YF-23 posted:

By far the easiest way to grind planes is to kill other players in air realistic. Nothing complicated about it.

when i have a brand new jank-rear end plane and i'm not confident i can kill another player, i'll stay at ground level and do a giant arc around to the enemy ground unit line and snipe AAA, usually worth 1-2 modifications per match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

Solumin posted:

I've also heard the new protection analysis is even more of a liar than it used to be thanks to volumetric shells. This last update, as usual, added even more bugs.

A lot of it's learning how this new plane should be flown. At the very least, you have to learn how it fits into the rhythm of a battle -- different acceleration, climb rate, rip speeds, etc. -- and getting used to new guns is a whole challenge by itself.
Not so much an issue in arcade, of course.

What plane is causing you pain?

The P-51D-25 -- which I ground until I got the P-47N and everything was groovy.

MrYenko posted:

I’m in Tier VI with nothing more than incidental ground attack. Probably no more than a few dozen destroyed. The trick to playing stock planes (and quite a few of the under-balanced airplanes) is playing conservatively, and developing a really good understanding of energy fighting, and which airplanes excel at which disciplines.

Also, be aware of what BR slot the individual battle is comprised of, and further adjust your play style. I was uptiered for probably 80%+ of matches (gently caress you, snail) from the beginning of Tier V, but those matches aren’t an automatic waste of time if you play conservatively.

This guy’s videos are also extremely worth your time if you’re trying to up your RB (or SB, for that matter) game.

Thanks!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

That oddbawz streamer guy killed my t-34 with a wirblewind! Then i spawned in a plane and got insta killed by an airspawn camper gg thanks gaijin.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Hot take: Fighters that go for attackers at the start of the game are trash. An attacker is literally no threat to a fighter. No game has ever been one by an attacker bombing ground targets. Let us grind ground targets in peace ffs. This is the air equivalent of spawn killing in the early minutes of ground rb imo.

Hell even in a game where I was the only attacker and I waited far behind my team of fighters, a few enemy fighters STILL managed to go directly for me.

Of course if we just had EC...:negative:

Subyng fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 9, 2020

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Subyng posted:

Hot take: Fighters that go for attackers at the start of the game are trash. An attacker is literally no threat to a fighter. No game has ever been one by an attacker bombing ground targets. Let us grind ground targets in peace ffs. This is the air equivalent of spawn killing in the early minutes of ground rb imo.

Hell even in a game where I was the only attacker and I waited far behind my team of fighters, a few enemy fighters STILL managed to go directly for me.

I managed to win a game once in the IL-2-37 by popping pillboxes as one of two remaining people on my team while the six people left on the other team all dogpiled my teammate. Granted I've seen that happen exactly once over years of playing this game so...

Honestly I sorta get it just because of how frustrating it can be to fly a stock plane, making it more appealing to go after the easy target. It's really frustrating though to watch half of my team dive on a single attacker and leave me alone to deal with everything at high altitude by myself.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Subyng posted:

Ideally your teammates protect y-hahahaha haha woo that’s a good one

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Squad Up

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Gonna add that I absolutely hate going against teams with the Vautour because without fail half of my team will dive for one and then at least one will die against it in a head-on.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ArchRanger posted:

Gonna add that I absolutely hate going against teams with the Vautour because without fail half of my team will dive for one and then at least one will die against it in a head-on.

I do love it when someone wins three head-ons in a row though.

Last night I flew the Mystere IIC and regularly got 1-2 kills per match, which was fantastic for my research. But then tonight every dive ended with me blacking out, except for the times an F11 or Saber appeared behind me out of nowhere. It's incredibly frustrating and I lost 50k lions.

What could I have done differently? My successes last night came from picking out bombers then waiting for slow targets in fur balls. But tonight bombers were untouchable and there never were any fur balls.

I think they changed the matchmaker for higher tier jets this patch, because I didn't get any mixed matches but I did see a lot of Germany/Britain/France vs USA. That could be the problem...

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Subyng posted:

No game has ever been one by an attacker bombing ground targets.

Greetings from Normandy.

Dr.Radical posted:

Ideally your teammates protect y-hahahaha haha woo that’s a good one

lol
You can't think attackers are completely useless to their team (cause they don't win games) while also wanting fighters to give up all their energy just to protect them at the same time.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yeah, there's maps where the ground battle happens fast and tickets bleed early enough that attackers taking out tanks and pillboxes can break a game one way or another. Normandy is one of them, Poland is another, a lot of times games on those maps end before you expect them to because attackers and bombers were allowed to go after ground units unmolested. Then every time a game winds up with the last player on a team doing tryouts for NASA the degree of ticket bleed becomes important, either because the game lasts long enough for the ground forces to finish it off or because the 20 minute mark passes and the bleed on one side is enough that clearing the soft targets that spawn is enough to finish it off.

Hell, I once had a game where I was fighting a guy in a Thunderbolt that did extremely principled high altitude passes. I couldn't touch the guy. Only won because I survived long enough for the only other guy alive on my team who was in an attacker to go back to airfield and rearm a couple of times and wipe out ground targets. If that guy had been in another fighter chances are we'd be tempted to try to bait the guy in the Thunderbolt into making a mistake and die.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

appropriatemetaphor posted:

That oddbawz streamer guy killed my t-34 with a wirblewind!

To be fair, the WW feels like it was designed to be a T-34/M-10 killer. Whenever I played a city map I loaded it up and cleaned house. The T-34 is especially vulnerable to it due to the thin armour in the turret cheeks and side lower hull.

Have not played it since volumetric shells, so I'm guessing that the KV-1 is now effectively immune to it since turret ring shots are no longer a thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's why I keep failing to take down them, I aways aim for the turret ring.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Haven't played in a few months and holy moly are my russian heavy tanks way better now.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

twistedmentat posted:

That's why I keep failing to take down them, I aways aim for the turret ring.

How are the T-34/KV-1 breeches? Still super easy to take out?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blistex posted:

I am always issued with nerf shots, so I have no idea.

*Watches another point blank shot barely scratch the paint*

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I'm playing russia at 5.3 but I've been taking a BT-7 just so i can cap and get up in a fighter. finally mapped WASD to pitch/roll so i can keep an eye on the aircraft i'm dogfighting more easily. definitely going to take some time to get used to steering that way while facing in wild directions.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Blistex posted:

I mean, like every other tank, it tends to be the most-hit internal component...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I am always issued with nerf shots, so I have no idea.

*Watches another point blank shot barely scratch the paint*

You're scratching paint?

My god, I wish I were so lucky.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nipponophile posted:

You're scratching paint?

My god, I wish I were so lucky.

I mean when I have my gun right up to the weak points yea, it will some times flake off some paint.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

tips on yak-3's? i keep getting dove in on and ripped apart by everything

e: i don't think i care for ARB... you spend 10 minutes just watching the plane climb at the start of every match and then get bounced by someone who climbs better it's kinda a poo poo meta

Hegel Exercises fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 10, 2020

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Hegel Exercises posted:

tips on yak-3's? i keep getting dove in on and ripped apart by everything

e: i don't think i care for ARB... you spend 10 minutes just watching the plane climb at the start of every match and then get bounced by someone who climbs better it's kinda a poo poo meta

I thought the same the first few times I played aiRB. Why do I have to spend 5 minutes pretty much just alt-tabbed while my plane climbs before the real battle starts? I could have gone through 5 planes in AB already!
Eventually though, the actual combat gameplay turned out to be so much more fun than in AB that I could never really go back. Performance differences actually matter, you have to engage different planes in different ways, criticals that aren't pilotsnipes actually matter, etc. If that never clicks with you that can't be helped but I'd say to stick with it a while longer.
As for people being above you: You correctly identified the meta, so play it. Sideclimb even more. If it's only a few people still above you, you can just ignore them/evade if they attack while their entire team dies.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

There's cases where that meta doesn't fully apply, especially as you add more people into the mix. It's true for 1v1s, but if you're playing Russians my #1 advice is to never break from the team and try to lone-wolf the match. If all the Russian fighters are sticking together any attack on them, even with an energy advantage, becomes a risky proposition.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

this game would be improved if there could only be 1 or 2 panthers on the map at any given time and they had a 25% chance to break down every 100 yards

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hegel Exercises posted:

this game would be improved if there could only be 1 or 2 panthers on the map at any given time and they had a 25% chance to break down every 100 yards

Neutral turning at high RPM should result in a repair period in sim for KTs as well. Also early T-34s should be prone to frequent transmission issues since they sometimes left the factory with an extra strapped to the deck.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

AirRB should just have all airspawns.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

appropriatemetaphor posted:

AirRB should just have all airspawns.

let me spawn at 30,000 feet in my B-17 cowards

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

i'm sure i'm replaying war thunder's greatest hits but how the gently caress is the R34 with a late-20th century auto cannon at the same battle tier as world war 2 poo poo?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hegel Exercises posted:

i'm sure i'm replaying war thunder's greatest hits but how the gently caress is the R34 with a late-20th century auto cannon at the same battle tier as world war 2 poo poo?

The Italy research tree is sufficiently bare that I wouldn't be surprised if they put those flying viking space longboats from the Thor movies in the aviation section.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Grinding the Merkava unlocks the last few days I realized I missed a few things about the ADATS.

The missiles are less reliable than the Tunguska and Roland when it comes to actually killing poo poo. I've put 1-2 missiles right into the face of jets diving diving straight in with zero damage to show for it a pretty disturbing number of times - seems to be mostly a coinflip whether it will deal damage. The missiles are also the least *stable*? around at the moment as they never seem to have fixed the thing where they are constantly correcting course and weaving side to side throughout their flight, sine-waving their way to the target and getting increasingly worse every time you move the point of aim. I've missed ~1000m shots where the cursor (and target) haven't moved between launch and impact because the missile's initial course correction from the launch tube makes it weave enough to fly around the target. In general the poo poo that was broken for all SAMs back when they first adjusted how the missiles flew is still somewhat broken for this thing.

It also costs more spawn points compared to the other air defenses, maybe thanks to being classified as a tank destroyer. I hadn't really realized this before, but it explains why you see so few of them up toward the end of the game whereas most nations you'd see a blob of SPAAs hanging around the spawn point.

The most enraging thing has to be fighting the Ka-50 and 52. With the ability to shoot down SAMs with their ATGMs (and dumbfire rockets) we're back to the age of one faction being able to hover at high altitude and dunk ATGMs with impunity and it's somehow even dumber this time.

The only plus sides I'm finding here is that
1) They chopped silver lion costs substantially for pretty much the entire US lineup, which is welcome but a good 4 months overdue.
2) A lot of Soviet players are Tiger II'ing it up sitting stationary on top of hills in the middle of the map or just charging straight through open areas right into my shells. I didn't notice this as much while playing as Soviets, but goddamn has the laziness and complacency set in hard on the winning team.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 12, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
omg the BT-7 F-32 is incredible. Scouting is INCREDIBLY powerful, especially when you are 20kph faster than 99% of enemies. I've just been rolling out, capping, then scouting 2-3 enemies, j--ing out and rolling in screaming in an IL-2. Flying in with a full bomb/rocket load at 600kph while your wings get shredded is a pretty viscerally satisfying experience. It's a 3.0 but it weirdly seems to do better at higher BRs? I think because closer to 5.0, the tanks generally get heavier and thus slower.

playing a light tank/scout really makes it clear how much better this game would be if it actually encouraged teamwork too.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 12, 2020

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

In a way I'm glad pubbies don't really do scouting. More XP for me -- but yeah that BT-7 owns hard.

e: Tokyo drifting into a Tiger and jamming a shell right into its side never gets old.

Hegel Exercises fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 12, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Hegel Exercises posted:

In a way I'm glad pubbies don't really do scouting. More XP for me -- but yeah that BT-7 owns hard.

e: Tokyo drifting into a Tiger and jamming a shell right into its side never gets old.

It seriously works really well up to like 6.3, completely nuts.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

jesus christ i cannot for the life of me get the yak-3 to work, i just get out turned by... everything. this is supposed to be a plane that's good? lmao

from the in-game wiki:

quote:

the Yak-3 is fast at low altitudes, can outurn the majority of its opponents, and can accelerate quickly. It is great fun to fly and will serve Soviet pilots well in anti-fighter duties

literally none of this is true lmao

Hegel Exercises fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 12, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
yeah pretty much everything on the early russian fighters seems inferior. the il-2 can outturn some of them.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

punishedkissinger posted:

yeah pretty much everything on the early russian fighters seems inferior. the il-2 can outturn some of them.

this is 4.0 plane lmao

love getting out turned by loving P-47's when i'm going 400kts and at 1000m :jerkbag:

e: sorry to just carp it's very frustrating that i feel like i'm advancing up the tank lines pretty well but i just keep bouncing off ARB

Hegel Exercises fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 12, 2020

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
400kts is way outside the ideal performance envelope for turn radius in a yak-3, while the p-47 would have full control at that speed

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Hegel Exercises posted:

this is 4.0 plane lmao

love getting out turned by loving P-47's when i'm going 400kts and at 1000m :jerkbag:

e: sorry to just carp it's very frustrating that i feel like i'm advancing up the tank lines pretty well but i just keep bouncing off ARB

You have a Yak engine. You outturn enemies because you create ridiculous amounts of energy in an extended turnfight.
A P-47 screaming in at 700kmh will still have more energy.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Also turnfighting doesn't really work for most planes above like 2.7, at least in my experience. (Zeroes and some Spitfires are the exception.) Energy fighting and BnZ are more effective. Going vertical can be much more effective than flat turning.

Wait I just converted 400 knots to kmh. You must have been locking up massively at that speed. Try going, I don't know, half that fast? I'm surprised you didn't rip, honestly, I've obliterated myself going slower than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Sweet spot for turning in a Yak is around 300-400kmh, 450 if you're pushing it. 400kts sounds way too fast for that plane. Your strategy for dealing with P-47s shouldn't be to try to match them at their strengths, it should be to get them to bleed their excess energy out so that you can fight them on yours. This runs into one slight problem: you are going to need to fly in a way as to bait a P-47 to overcommit and spend too much of its resources on you. In other words, you are going to be trying to make the enemy pilot make a mistake. A P-47 pilot that knows what they are doing and has the discipline required to not do that will likely be untouchable. At the same time, it shouldn't be too hard to dodge 700+kmh dives from a P-47 if you yourself are in your ideal energy state and have your eyes open. And I'd say of the P-47 pilots out there, there's not really many that know what they're doing.