Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Any suggestions for US or Soviet rank II or III vehicles I should grab while they are cheap to ease the grind a bit once I come around to actually grinding them? Or maybe British or Japanese if they are worth it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Okay I stopped being bad and had a look at Bo Time Gaming's premium buying guide myself.
I bought the British A13 MK1 (3rd R.T.R.) and Crusader "The Saint" as well as the Japanese Ha.Go Commander and Chi-He (5th Regiment) and the Italian M14/41 (47/40).

They were all quite cheap on sale so I thought gently caress it, if I ever try out these nations I'll have something to start with at under 15€...

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Haven't played AirRB since they uptiers the G55s.

Load into a game, get bomber sniped from a mile away.

edit: did they change the plane models at some point? i'm just instantly starting on fire.

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 28, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Acebuckeye13 posted:

T-29 is great. Good mobility, nigh-impenetrable turret, large crew, and a fantastic gun all make for an extremely strong tank that's very fun to play.

Good ! The T-29 was the one bright spot in the morass that was high-tier WoT gameplay. A tank that was fun to drive and you could use it in clan matches ? Unheard of !

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
https://warthunder.com/en/news/6910-development-t-72av-turms-t-syrian-guard-en

Russia is getting a fourth T72, this time as a premium. This on top of getting the T90 this patch. I'm actually in awe of the sheer gall of Gaijin.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

If anything it'll dumpster USSR high tier win rates like any new premium when the inevitable wallet warriors buy it up, die once, and quit the match.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If that slots in below 10.0 there's a good chance I'm buying it to finish the USSR tree I've neglected for like 2 years :v:

No ATGM, Kontakt-1, good chance its 9.7 or so IMO.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

If that slots in below 10.0 there's a good chance I'm buying it to finish the USSR tree I've neglected for like 2 years :v:

No ATGM, Kontakt-1, good chance its 9.7 or so IMO.

Yeah it'd put money on it being 9.7.

It would be blatantly OP compared to the vanilla T-72 at 9.3 and with less armor, mobility, and no ATGM it's not an equal of the 10.0 T-80B either.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah it'd put money on it being 9.7.

It would be blatantly OP compared to the vanilla T-72 at 9.3 and with less armor, mobility, and no ATGM it's not an equal of the 10.0 T-80B either.

Hopefully with the new wave of US/GR 9.0/9.3 premiums after the sale it sees more downtiers than ups for the first little bit too, although I'm sure it will see a good number of 2A5s working 2A6s as well.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
Is the rooikat 105 worth it if it's half off on sale?

Any reason to look at the premium t72 at full price?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

don't know what the dude was mad about

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I went 13/0 with the Crusader III in RB A bit ago.

Felt pretty loving good to dunk on nerds.

Next match was back to my usual three deaths and out.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

The one aspect thats really, really, making me angry right now is how loving easy it is to knock out guns in tanks. They need to either make them harder to hit, more tanky, or make repairing them much easier or something.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DurosKlav posted:

The one aspect thats really, really, making me angry right now is how loving easy it is to knock out guns in tanks. They need to either make them harder to hit, more tanky, or make repairing them much easier or something.

veto

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Seconded

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

gently caress the R3

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

punishedkissinger posted:

gently caress the R3

Pasta wagon is the greatest trolling vehicle ever! How could you hate such a... Ohhhhh.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

DurosKlav posted:

I've been getting rather mad about this in high tiers were it seems to happen every goddamn engagement and the only thing that can save you are teammates and positioning. It's also extra frustrating because with my 260 ping to the NA server from Australia, it makes it functionally impossible to win reaction races, which I used to win quite often when I was living in Russia.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If i drop my German tanks around BR 2.x can I still earn Xp towards the higher tier vehicles? I figure the easiest way to make money is to drop down to lower tiers were restock and repair costs are lower so I can earn more silver lions.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

twistedmentat posted:

If i drop my German tanks around BR 2.x can I still earn Xp towards the higher tier vehicles? I figure the easiest way to make money is to drop down to lower tiers were restock and repair costs are lower so I can earn more silver lions.

If you're patient sure. German 2.3 is pretty fun and if you have a terrible game it's a cheap loss.

I take the mightiest plane of all as my 2.3 realistic ground battle pick. The awe inspiring and magnificent Wellington premium. Which may struggle to stay aloft in level flight without its engines overheating but I assure you that it's worth it for that 9x 250 bombs in a capture zone. Sometimes it even kills things.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Yes, you'll still earn XP, but the amount will be much lower. Vehicles earn max RP when researching a vehicle that's within one rank of it, e.g. a rank 3 vehicle is best at researching rank 2 to rank 4. (Premium vehicles are able to efficiently research all ranks below theirs, so a rank 3 premium can efficiently research ranks 1 to 4.) If you're researching a vehicle that's outside this max RP range, only like a quarter of the RP will apply.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

is there any trick to levelling up crews? my russian tree is in good shape, but I wanted to try out American and realize I need all new crews. Should I just spend $20 or whatever to get them somewhere reasonable?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

DurosKlav posted:

I think this is also in part due to people realizing the meta of shooting gun barrels.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

is there any trick to levelling up crews? my russian tree is in good shape, but I wanted to try out American and realize I need all new crews. Should I just spend $20 or whatever to get them somewhere reasonable?

Find a BR that you're good at and just keep seal-clubbing in it until your crew gets reasonably decent.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Crew XP is a small percentage of the RP you earn during a match. Blistex has the right idea, and you can get more XP faster by using a premium or talisman'd vehicle.

I've heard but have not confirmed that crew XP is locked to the crew slot, but not the mode it was earned in. So you could earn the XP in air RB but spend it on your tank crews. Additionally, you earn 3x crew XP in arcade mode, so air arcade is a viable option.

Either way, more RP = more XP.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Don't spend money on crew xp, aside from targetting (which you can skill up early) the benefits are all marginal and something you just accumulate through the lifetime of you playing the game.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Also early on, don't dump all skill points on one skill. You get a larger bump from aceing (?) your crew for specific vehicles which requires your crew to be at a certain level. Easiest way to do that is to spread the skill points amongst all the skills while it's still cheap.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Also it's a game not a mortgage. Don't worry about how fast you're going to finish it. Some people have spreadsheets and formulas that they use to try and max their crew the fastest*. Just play it and have fun.

*"If I dump another 500 points into repair and reloading, and another 967 into gunner vitality, that will make me 5.72% more effective and 3.4% more survivable, which will allow me to accrue RP at an increased rate of +0.71% which will compound bi-weekly (assuming an average of 32.88 hours of playtime per week) @;0.55%, thus increasing my ability to boost my repair time by..."

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Crew XP is one of the biggest gently caress-yous in this game, to be honest. For example, the gunner's targeting skill doesn't do smooth diagonal aiming until you get more than 5 levels invested in it, i.e. you've experted the crew for that tank.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What’s the best French cas plane to go with a 4.7 lineup?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I like the F6F-5N, since it has Tiny Tims and 1000 lb bombs. The Yak-9T and the SB2C-5 are also good choices.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Solumin posted:

Crew XP is a small percentage of the RP you earn during a match. Blistex has the right idea, and you can get more XP faster by using a premium or talisman'd vehicle.

I've heard but have not confirmed that crew XP is locked to the crew slot, but not the mode it was earned in. So you could earn the XP in air RB but spend it on your tank crews. Additionally, you earn 3x crew XP in arcade mode, so air arcade is a viable option.

Either way, more RP = more XP.

Nothing to confirm, you can grind crew points in whatever easier mode you want (Air AB, Tank RB, Boats[lol] - whatever is best for you) before spending them in another crew type.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
New update and trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGtZoCKiDwQ

Big news is that the Naval research tree is getting completely reworked, with torpedo boats and subchasers becoming their own tree apart from destroyers and cruisers. There's also an Alaska class that shows up in the background which I personally am very excited about.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

I'm excited about the engine updates and better looking clouds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Solumin posted:

I like the F6F-5N, since it has Tiny Tims and 1000 lb bombs. The Yak-9T and the SB2C-5 are also good choices.

I didn’t learn till like a week ago that the Bearcat can carry Tiny Tims. Plural.

Which is amazing.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

New update and trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGtZoCKiDwQ

Big news is that the Naval research tree is getting completely reworked, with torpedo boats and subchasers becoming their own tree apart from destroyers and cruisers. There's also an Alaska class that shows up in the background which I personally am very excited about.

My BTD-1 is ready. :getin:

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Alchenar posted:

Don't spend money on crew xp, aside from targetting (which you can skill up early) the benefits are all marginal and something you just accumulate through the lifetime of you playing the game.

I'm going to hard disagree with this as it's one of the biggest pay-to-win aspects of the game. Yeah, you don't have to spend money on it but the difference between level 1 and level 5 crew training is insane, on the order of multiple seconds off of a reload, accelerating and keeping speed much more effectively, and in the air being able to pull hard maneuvers for several seconds longer before blacking out.

poo poo, I never spent money on my Soviet tank crews and have been playing them for four years now and have only recently maxed out any of my crew skills. I've done it on most of the newer trees on at least one crew and it's one of the few things I feel zero regret on doing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Got 4 maxed (ground/air/naval) crews in the German tree. Only took 4 years and not a cent spent on the game. Got lucky with some GE wagers which really sped things up.

If you play a lot in your sweet spot it adds up fast. Also put your most effective vehicle with the crew you want to level up. A lot of people do the exact opposite and it doesn't pay off very well.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've been playing about as long as you, apparently, and I have no maxed crews at all. And I've spent money on them! My highest in one German crew thanks to the Ru 251, that's around level 90. My most complete crew is my French Air RB crew that's maxed out everything but the gunner skills.

It really is a terrible system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
I normally put a few hundred gold into a new crew which should let you expert most low tier vehicles. Cheap and worth it. I have several maxed out american plane crews thanks to premiums but no tank crews.

that new engine update looks nice and should bring me back to the game for awhile. the teaser video has some new carriers which would also be great for planes with hooks