Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Lots of black Friday laptops with video cards. Got the HP on the Walmart deal earlier this month for $450 and works like a charm for WT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Blistex posted:

Why not a desktop for 1/2 the price and 2x the power?

If I wasn’t married and lived alone or we had a house with a dedicated office room I would. For now it’s best to just have a laptop I can take around my apartment.

I’ll take a look and see if any deals are coming up. I’m in Japan so a lot of the US shopping sales don’t apply unless I get it shipped to me from overseas.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
This update is my first time playing the blue water ships in this game, and I feel like I'm missing something (other than the enemy ships), because I can't hit poo poo. I've played a ton of World of Warships over the years, but getting your firing angles with the big guns in WT seems to be about 3 times as complex. Your relative lateral speed to the target seems extremely important, and is super hard to judge. I feel like even if I slow down, it still takes me 3-4 volleys to get dialed in, and there are other factors that just go right over my head. I just played a round with the Mutsuki, and somehow I had to angle all of my shots about 20 degrees lower than I had in other matches; anything else would drastically overshoot, even when I and the target were standing still. I seriously had to aim so low that my target was barely visible. Meanwhile, everyone else seems like they have no problems at all.

Is there some hotkey or something that gives more information (beyond the range) that I'm missing? Or am I working beyond a good engagement range (I have fewer issues within like 4k, but even then it's not a sure thing)and should just be closing to short range and slowing way down? Regardless, I feel like I'm missing something super obvious. How the hell do I hit other ships with my destroyer guns?

I'm having this issue in RB, but even when I've tried arcade I don't have any more success.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 20, 2020

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Word, compared to WoWS, aiming and hitting anything at first is crazy difficult. I still need tons more practice, but at least I'm starting to get some sorta common hits at the 10k range every map seems to happen at. Sub 6k really seems like where things finally start get easy. This dude's video helped me out with the basics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfEvRE1hrMI. The tip for manual gun elevation on the mouse wheel alone has helped dramatically for most battles being me and another DD closing range at angles. You're not wrong with how important relative velocities are. I've had a couple shots where we were going opposite directions at speed and the horizontal deflection almost had the ship out of sight on zoom.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yeah, you need to set the mouse wheel to manual distance control. Adjust horizontally based on relative horizontal movement between you and the enemy ship, adjust aiming distance based on whether you and the enemy ship are approaching each other or not. Watch your shots' splashes and make corrections based on them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Air battles are about energy, ground battles are about reading terrain, naval battles are about zeroing in shots.

It is difficult, but learning how to do it is 90% of the complexity of the naval game, it's what it's all about.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, if you're in a shootout the most skilled player is that one that is able to guide his shots the most accurately. Landing shots on target is the basic thing, landing shots accurately enough to disable the target's guns is the next step.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
You just get a feel for windage eventually, I'm to the point where I can usually make first shot hits without walking the rounds in.

I play this a bit though.

NickBlasta fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 20, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Yeah, there's a few things you can do towards improving your naval gunnery (Using the scroll wheel to constantly adjust range, closely observing shells to see where they land, etc), but honestly it's mostly just practice and getting a feel for it. More you play, the more you learn how to adjust your shots or how to anticipate where your shots should be going, the more accurate and deadly you'll get.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Avynte posted:

Word, compared to WoWS, aiming and hitting anything at first is crazy difficult. I still need tons more practice, but at least I'm starting to get some sorta common hits at the 10k range every map seems to happen at. Sub 6k really seems like where things finally start get easy. This dude's video helped me out with the basics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfEvRE1hrMI. The tip for manual gun elevation on the mouse wheel alone has helped dramatically for most battles being me and another DD closing range at angles. You're not wrong with how important relative velocities are. I've had a couple shots where we were going opposite directions at speed and the horizontal deflection almost had the ship out of sight on zoom.

That video was super helpful, thanks! I'm glad there there were things, like using the mousewheel to adjust range, that I was missing. But also I think I've been simultaneously over and underthinking this. There are a number of factors that you have to consider, but they're fairly straightforward, like if you can remember whether you're traveling in the same or opposite direction as your target, you're halfway there.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there a setting that makes naval tracers easier to see? Most of the time I see it when it initially fires but then it becomes almost invisible at range.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

It's nice being able to play destroyer without grinding through 10,000 hours of tugboats with guns welded on, but the one thing I'm not really sold on with this update is the 'intense' electronic hangar music. The nation-specific classical was nice, and this feels too dang modern.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is there a setting that makes naval tracers easier to see? Most of the time I see it when it initially fires but then it becomes almost invisible at range.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nice! I didn't notice that setting and had been having some difficulties as well during some of the confusing match-start salvos.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

hmm, i've turned it on but don't see a difference? what's it supposed to look like?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Avynte posted:

They should have your speed and angle to target be dialed into the fire control automatically then let you auto-calculate then dial in the range, target heading and target speed. At least for RB, it would add more thinking to the long range battles.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*

I can aim reasonably well in RB, but trying AB briefly I have absolutely no clue how it's working. My instinct is to try the same stuff as RB (Leading shots based on relative speed/distance and re-ranging) but it seems like where I'm aiming has absolutely no bearing on where the shells land in AB so I assume it's doing SOME part of the process "for me" but is completely unclear what parts those are.
Not that there's any reason to play AB ships.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
AB and RB naval used to give the same experience gain and AB planes have unlimited ammo.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Flannelette posted:

They should have your speed and angle to target be dialed into the fire control automatically then let you auto-calculate then dial in the range, target heading and target speed. At least for RB, it would add more thinking to the long range battles.

War Thunder: Dreyer Table Simulator

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*

iv46vi posted:

AB and RB naval used to give the same experience gain and AB planes have unlimited ammo.

Yeah I play AB air all the time because it's just a lot quicker and more fun to play than climbing for 5+ straight minutes and then getting sniped some some poo poo in a better plane. If I want more realism I just go straight to Sim.
Ground AB is alright occasionally depending on rank/mood.
Ships? AB is just the same as RB but with slightly closer spawnpoints and the aiming is an arbitrary mystery.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah i just don't get how people suddenly zero in on you in naval? Like I get that splash in front of target means adjust aim out a bit etc..but I find it basically impossible to tell which infinitely tiny pixel is my shell and not some rando ally's shot. Or which of the million splashes is mine.

Also I seem to die almost instantly upon getting hit while I'll pound an enemy for days and nothing happens. I assume I'm getting hit in weak spots or something?

Are there some in game contrast settings that'll make the shell tracers sorta visible?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

When you shoot a shell you'll get a timer until impact. You can use that timer to tell which of the splashes are yours. Granted, you'll be able to put out a lot more volleys while that timer goes down at longer ranges, but it's hardly a difficult task.

Basically, there's two things you have to worry about: aiming along the horizontal axis, and aiming along the vertical axis. For the horizontal axis you've got to take into account relative movement between yours and the enemy's ship along the horizontal axis. Don't forget that your own ship's momentum is inherited by your shots: if you're moving at 60kmh westwards and fire directly north, your shells are going to keep moving westwards with you, they won't land directly north from the point where you launched them. Separately and similarly for the vertical axis. Then once you've gotten a feel for where you should be aiming to make up for relative movement between you and the enemy, use your splashes and compensate accordingly. Once you start getting hits, look at the hitcam to see exactly what you did; you can get hits for close shots that just splashed near the vessel, and by adjusting a bit more based off that you can start zeroing in to hit the hull or the deck.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

appropriatemetaphor posted:

hmm, i've turned it on but don't see a difference? what's it supposed to look like?

Hmm, I don't think it does anything.

edit: it only works in arcade. Your shells when falling show up as green lines. I suppose if you want to get a good feel for the shell behavior with the visible feedback, play arcade?

Cerebulon posted:

Ships? AB is just the same as RB but with slightly closer spawnpoints and the aiming is an arbitrary mystery.

The gun ballistics in the two modes are identical as far as I can tell. As for the aiming, it basically works like this, you target an enemy and the guns auto range, more or less like RB without the margin of error that the player is supposed to use the mousewheel to correct for. You can't mousewheel in arcade, rather (and the game doesn't tell you this) you range in with the gunsight itself, that is, your crews range in 95% based on the actual distance to your target, and 5% more biased towards the spot under your crosshair.

So how this works in practice is, if you are moving perfectly in parallel with your target, you would simply put your crosshair roughly in their path to correct for windage and the shells will hit. But if your distance from target is increasing (say you or they are moving away), your shells would fall just short every time. You would correct for this by holding over them and you will find the shells travel slightly farther. Similarly if your distance to target is decreasing and your shells are going long, you would bring the crosshair low in a hold under and you will find the shells fall shorter.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ok i'm getting a little better. Shooting at targets that no one else is going for is helping at the ~10km ranges, so at least I can tell which splashes are mine.

And turned on the HONK HONK or whatever when your splashes splash is handy as well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Madurai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZ7wdnRLsE

Go nuts in the recommended videos, mechanical fire control computers are amazing.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Madurai posted:

That would be cool for naval RB, a lite version of that. It's still less things than you have to think about for Air RB anyway.
Lock onto the target then change 3 dials/gui things, get your crew skill auto compute to put you near the right settings and dial them in, fire, count down to the splash, adjust for where the shells landed repeat. Would give the half sim half arcade feel that RB is supposed to be.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I did it i'm the ship commander

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Is there an organized group of goons playing this? In my experience, fighter pilot games are better with someone watching your back, but I'd rather not gamble that the someone ends up being a Nazi.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Discord server is the first thing in the OP. You need that to join [LAME], the most active remaining goon squadron. It's most definitely better to be playing in a squad. Having said that, these days LAME tends to be more of a place for talking about the game than playing together (although that definitely still happens). Organised activity is generally way down.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Generally the voice channels get heavily populated during an event and then we all burn out and go our separate ways for a while.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Warmachine posted:

Is there an organized group of goons playing this? In my experience, fighter pilot games are better with someone watching your back, but I'd rather not gamble that the someone ends up being a Nazi.

Usernames are usually a good indicator if someone is a Nazi. They just can't help themselves. I've been invited to join like 100+ times since GB became a thing, and about 1/4 of them were pretty obviously Nazis just from their names,

<Message from: 2SSPzrDiv>
<Message from: 188920tanker>
<Message from: NotSeePride>

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
One of my last games I noticed a guy with 1488 in his name so I shot him down as he was taking off, he got really pissed about how he was just trolling or whatever and hung out in the lobby being angry at me until the round ended. He showed up in the next game, tried to shoot me down while I was taking off and crashed.

Also I haven't played in half a year, how is Air RB right now?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shanakin posted:

Discord server is the first thing in the OP. You need that to join [LAME], the most active remaining goon squadron. It's most definitely better to be playing in a squad. Having said that, these days LAME tends to be more of a place for talking about the game than playing together (although that definitely still happens). Organised activity is generally way down.

:psyduck: How the gently caress did I miss that after reading the OP three times?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A friend and I racked up some wins last night and I got the warning about "if you had premium you'd get this many lions!" so after seven years I finally bit the bullet and bought a month of premium, thinking I'd get the rewards for that day. Was this a bait-and-switch? My lions didn't go up at all.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

i say swears online posted:

A friend and I racked up some wins last night and I got the warning about "if you had premium you'd get this many lions!" so after seven years I finally bit the bullet and bought a month of premium, thinking I'd get the rewards for that day. Was this a bait-and-switch? My lions didn't go up at all.

It's a multiplier per match. It's not retroactive.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've reached a point where there's nothing I really want to grind, so I'm trying to just play this game for fun. It leaves me in analysis paralysis as I try to figure out what country and BR I'll actually enjoy.

So basically I've just been playing a lot of Russia 3.7.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

i say swears online posted:

You have to buy the premium from that prompt to get it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Warmachine posted:

:psyduck: How the gently caress did I miss that after reading the OP three times?

Because it's above the big fat logo, basically making it fine print.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

GrossMurpel posted:

Because it's above the big fat logo, basically making it fine print.

Added a few more sirens to it, I'm afraid putting it in the main body of the post will make it even harder to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Just move it under the title you big dummy, people are never going to look there.