Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Germany was (rightfully) super paranoid of aircraft in WWII, weren't they? At least this new AAA is open-top so I can strafe them with ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

MrYenko posted:

“Guys, we had to move the Kugelblitz to loving seven point oh to keep it from murdering entire teams. What if we added another pair of Mk103s?”

:catdrugs:

It's also got full HVAP belts. Preeetty good chance this goes even higher.

Gaijin adding an autocannon vehicle that doesn't immediately get uptiered challenge (impossible)

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Punished Ape posted:

It's also got full HVAP belts. Preeetty good chance this goes even higher.

Gaijin adding an autocannon vehicle that doesn't immediately get uptiered challenge (impossible)

Except for the 2.7 Swedish ANTI with SAPHEI which can get kills at 8.0 when armour goes away.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
I just got accused of aim botting.

In air arcade.

With a missile.

:psyduck:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Except for the 2.7 Swedish ANTI with SAPHEI which can get kills at 8.0 when armour goes away.
Balanced by its glacial turret traverse speed. :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

I just got accused of aim botting.

In air arcade.

With a missile.

:psyduck:

Why were you cheating

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Who the gently caress is cheating in air arcade for real though??

That's my go to for slacking off at work mode. I point my lovely biplane at the enemy circle, I click, GOTTEM, sometimes someone else gets me by flying through my plane and chopping my wings off, who cares, good move, lol!

Whoever is cheating in air arcade, gently caress you, stop that!

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Great Beer posted:

Why were you cheating

I can't help it! My last two brain cells keep telling me to put the seeker reticule on the red name and missile goes whoosh. I'm so ashamed of myself. I'm gonna keep doing it though.

But on a serious note, are hacks for missiles even a thing/possible? I'd assume they're handled 100% by the server.

soviet elsa posted:

Who the gently caress is cheating in air arcade for real though??

That's my go to for slacking off at work mode. I point my lovely biplane at the enemy circle, I click, GOTTEM, sometimes someone else gets me by flying through my plane and chopping my wings off, who cares, good move, lol!

Whoever is cheating in air arcade, gently caress you, stop that!

And the longer I think about it how tf would someone even cheat in air arcade!? What possible cheat could make the mode even easier than it already is? How bad/sweaty would someone have to be to want some sort of cheat?

I've already put more thought into this than the rando that accused me put into their whole game, but someone says something that extra stupid to you and I'm so bemused my brain just can't put it down.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Managed to bag my first jet in a Spitfire.

https://i.imgur.com/DZGYD5f.mp4

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Managed to bag my first jet in a Spitfire.

https://i.imgur.com/DZGYD5f.mp4

You must learn the ways of MEC, that you may have your radiators open and throttle in the firewall, forever.

Especially in Spitfires.

nightonthesun
Apr 23, 2002
I’ve only got about 1.4m SL right now. I just unlocked the SKR squad ship. Should I wait until they (hopefully) unfuck the naval battles? I’ve read that the SKR is a money printer etc

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The SKR is pretty hilarious in the right situation. It’ll melt the gently caress out of basically anything it can face up-close.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

nightonthesun posted:

I’ve only got about 1.4m SL right now. I just unlocked the SKR squad ship. Should I wait until they (hopefully) unfuck the naval battles? I’ve read that the SKR is a money printer etc

As a ship it's powerful, as an SL printer it's mediocre. Unless you specifically don't want to spend any money, I'd say go with a mid-tier premium destroyer since you'll be matched with them anyway.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Did they buff Hispanos in the last few months? I've been flying my Spitfire LF Mk IX again recently and they're feeling far more destructive than they were late last year. I could swear I used to have to land a ton of hits to do just about anything but now wings and tails are being blown off with a single burst.

https://i.imgur.com/IoHyaMn.mp4

I've been spending most of my time flying the F4U-4B Corsair and the Bf 109-K4 with the 30mm Mk108 motorcannon, so I don't think its a perception thing as both of those planes pack some hefty firepower. In any case I'm all for it, playing British ground is miserable so its easier to just play as the US and pretend to be British.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

nightonthesun posted:

The prime SKR time has sadly passed with saner matchmaking, but it is still an important tool in a lineup.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I dunno, I tried the SKR and I just can't get back to pure HE ammo where you have to slowly cut off a few % of the enemy crew at a time, instead of using SAP that blows up entire components with chunks of crew

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GrossMurpel posted:

I dunno, I tried the SKR and I just can't get back to pure HE ammo where you have to slowly cut off a few % of the enemy crew at a time, instead of using SAP that blows up entire components with chunks of crew

The trick to the SKR is to put yourself in places with no destroyers, and punch down on all the unarmored PT boats and the like. The thing loving shreds just about anything short of a destroyer.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
Is the shillelagh missile any good?

I was eyeing an 8.3 US line up of the M901, M60A2 and the M551 and remember the shillelagh fluctuating between being very good and very poo poo.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Not really, but that's mostly due to the platforms it's on.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
As I am getting killed by it all the time I'm gonna say yes! :colbert:

Editor's note: Tarquinn is killed by everything all the time.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The bradley somehow reloads both its missiles in 2/3 the time it takes to shove one shillelagh into the breech. Makes u think

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Shillelagh can be fired on the move, which is pretty cool. Shame about literally everything else though.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

MrYenko posted:

The Shillelagh can be fired on the move, which is pretty cool. Shame about literally everything else though.

It used to be really good IMO up until a year ago or so when they added rocket motors/tail flares to it. The Shillelagh used to basically be a stealth missile because it used to only render the projectile and it was hard to spot at a distance compared to almost every other missile.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I like Shillelagh better than TOW by virtue of the fact it's much faster, but it does feel lately that it struggles to reliably kill things like it used to.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone noticed a possible bug with the flak 38? If you're parked in a cap zone (so that you are reloading) you can fire off (in a steady stream) like 300 rounds without reloading? Then when it finally stops, it takes that amount of time to reload as it would take to reload all of those 20mm mags you burned through. I managed to kill one tank and three aircraft with sustained pull of the trigger. It was like I was painting the sky with tracers.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Oh dang I’m gonna have to grind that ASAP before they patch that (if they even bother)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nine of Eight posted:

Oh dang I’m gonna have to grind that ASAP before they patch that (if they even bother)

The Flak 38 is freaking awesome and fun when it's working correctly.*

They've nerfed the Flak 38 like three times already. First they reduced the reload time TO 3.0 seconds (it used to be something like 1.5), then they added 25% to the turret traverse times, and then they cut the 20mm AP rounds penetration by something like 25mm. I used to one-shot T-34 gunners from the front of the turret, as my rounds would slice through it like butter.

*I honestly think that the devs have done something to the 20mm round to mess it up, as it acts very inconsistently. Sometimes scoring pens against tough tanks halfway across the map, and even something as thin as a BT taking tons of hits without penetration. If you go to protection analysis, it shows that the round cannot penetrates lots of tanks frontally at its br that it should, but when the "analysis round" is fired, it simulates a penetration and even killing crewmembers, against areas it says should be a "0% chance" to pen. What happens in the game is usually a pen and kill.

How to play the Flak 38: (many points applicable to other SPAA)

The chassis itself turns wickedly fast, so when rapidly traversing the turret, use the whole tank to assist.
It's fast, tiny and climbs well enough to get into some pretty unexpected and tight spaces.
It's got 1080 rounds of ammo, so don't be afraid to clear the path of debris to get where you want faster or to see better.
Since you are not likely to run out of ammo, every time you kill an enemy, empty the mag so you start off fresh for the next one.
Firing on the go is easy, and with some practice you can never stop moving.
Always reverse around a corner you expect to see enemies around. One stray round will knock you out, so don't let them hit your driver before you get a bead on them.
Let distant tanks and aircraft drive/fly into your rounds.
Get the HVAP as soon as you can. Research only what you need to get there.
Use your teammates as spaced armour. As they get hit you duck out and finish off whoever damaged/killed them while they are reloading.
Stay away from artillery. It's open topped, and always seems to catch a round.
Stay in the shadows and use brush whenever possible. It's silhouette is really distinctive, and easy to pick out in the open.

Paint enemy tanks:
When squaring off against a tank from the front, move the target reticle up and down slightly to take out all the crewmembers asap.
When engaging from the side, paint it side to side for the same reason. Make sure to pause slightly under the turret.
When engaging Russian T-28s, paint it side to side and up and down. Take out the all of the turrets, then the engine. Reload then reapply in the same fashion.
When engaging LVTs, paint under the turret from the front, and then the drivers. From the side or the back, make sure you get the gunners in the rear.
When engaging Sweedish tanks, paint in an oval around the front centre of mass, you have to his a thin strip in the middle to take out the gunner and MG gunner.
French tanks are a bitch, and if you can't take out the gun barrel or breech, you're dead. Engage from the side.

If you're not looking for an aggressive "20 kill match", pretend you are playing hide and seek. It's easy to hide, and fun to play that way. There are a few cap points that you can hide inside non-accessible-ish buildings that will confound most players. And every map has at least two spots where you really are not expecting tanks to be hiding.

Here's an old screencap from when I used to play it more often. When it was playing Arcade before I moved to RB, it could end a match with 25 kills or more since everyone was learning, and didn't know how to use their (as of then) new tanks.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBqBmXquTOs

It's time for yet another 'why couldnt' this just be the game' april fools.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It was a game back on the PS4, Crossout. It sucked and died.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Crossout is still around. It's still an awful grindfest from what I hear.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Collateral Damage posted:

Crossout is still around. It's still an awful grindfest from what I hear.

Now War Thunder on the other hand...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm sort of curious what future mechanic is being stealthily tested.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Madurai posted:

Given the big dust storm at the end of the trailer my guess is weather conditions that actually affect gameplay.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That, and/or map objectives that aren't kill people/capture zones.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Sound on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6B_RseOtd8

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Madurai posted:

You can shoot wheels off which seems like a good candidate.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

You can shoot wheels off which seems like a good candidate.

Time for the Tiger 1 and its 48 road wheels to truly shine.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's hard to be sure, but isn't this map much bigger than any of the ones currently in rotation for ground combat? Maybe that's the test.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I thought it was the changing weather from clear to duststorm that they were testing, which is such a great touch to the map. I love seeing the haboob just roll in like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i just like saying "haboob"