Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem is that at BR 6.3 up everyone is loaded with high velocity guns and can shoot everyone else the moment they come into line of sight and get a hit (if not a pen or kill at certain angles). Everything is also starting to become an MBT.

3.0-5.0 is a wonderful realm (in hindsight) of asymmetry; boxy German tanks with big guns but no slopes, speedy Brit tanks with no APHE but rapid firing APCR, US tanks that can reverse, and a million variations of T34.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The deal with Brits is to be very, very patient and accept that despite your speed you exist to snipe at extreme ranges.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Check the OP for discord information. When you are playing, get into a voice channel on discord. There may be people playing already, jump in their channel if so, else chat with people playing other games or move to an unoccupied channel.

Echoing this. If you just sit in a voice channel most evenings someone will pop in to see what you are up to. Lots of people will only play if someone else is playing so there's a bit of a collective action problem to get over.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Playing some low tier tanks with goons yesterday reminded me of something: Playing a lineup of baby US planes and Stuart tanks is really loving fun. I'd smashed by face into high-tier tanks so long that I'd forgotten how rockin' it is to dart around in Stuarts

Low tier tanks are just a lot of fun. There's nothing between 1.0 and 3.0 that's unfair or unfun to fight.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There is also no armour.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm genuinely happy not having the blast of my engine drown out all other noise.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

For tanks everyone has their high and low points. Except the Russians, they just have their high and average points. Discord has been quiet lately (I've been contributing to that as well), but get in the tanks channel and ping people and they'll show up and shoot tanks with you.

One of the best things about War Thunder is that it's fun at all tiers so people won't hesitate to load up a deck at whatever BR you are at.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There is no way that crew rangefinding will help you if you are trying to sight in on a spotted enemy, you just have to eyeball it and adjust.

Rangefinding is great if you are doing the overwatch sniping thing where you set yourself up and then check the range to all the spots where you expect the enemy to appear.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

Arty's a bit weird - I can phone it in and see it drop instantly. Thought you had to wait according to your radio guy's level.

That said, if you're working with an open top and there's arty inbound, fuckin' book.

It starts spotting instantly but the time between spotting and battery is effected by your crew skill.

If it actually works.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rules for buying premium vehicles:

1) Does it have a ridiculous gun for the BR?
2) Does it have ridiculous armour for the BR?

If either answer is yes, buy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My main point is that while some premium planes are fun, lots are much of a muchness or just don't offer something that you can't just get to as a regular vehicle.

On the other hand there are quite a few premium vehicles that are crazy fun because they either do something extremely different or push the speed>armour>firepower triangle alllll the way out in one direction (ie. the T-35, SU-100Y, Super Hellcat).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

NickBlasta posted:

Tanks with good (or highly angled) armor, high caliber, medium reload guns are generally good brawlers. The Russian heavy line (KV thru IS4), Jumbos, T29/T34 etc, are great. I like the Tiger II for it but you have to be really quick with your snap reflexes because it's a lot less resistant to being shot first.

Mediums with decent guns and quick reloads are also not bad though they're more like a knife fighter since if they get hit they're out, tho highly angled fronts can help them survive. Shermans, T-34s and the like.

Other Criteria for brawling: fast turret rotation and good after-pen ammo effect. Those are the two reasons why US and Russians are the kings of brawling, whereas Germans are slow snipers and UK is all about dashing about from one unexpected sniping location to the next.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay but if your tank was made after 1945 there's a 90% chance it can brawl well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dr.Radical posted:

Did they nerf bombs and rockets in arcade? I’m doing one of those ground attack wagers and I recall it being a lot easier to kill multiple targets with a 1000lbs bomb and rockets.

Depends from when you mean. All bombs have a... 5 second? timer now so there's actually a reasonable chance to drive off.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nuramor posted:

The best way to shoot down a plane in RB is to shoot roughly in its direction, then stop. The pubbie will unfailingly go "An unaware AA!", turn in on you and fly straight at you. Then you shoot him.

I'm known for being good at AA but honestly it's just a mix of this and practice.
It's just like leading a plane in Air RB, except you are static and can afford to blaze ammo while he can't. Also the more rapid fire the platform the better: Wirblewinds>Ostwinds.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I hate the Tiger because sometimes I shoot it square centre on the upper hull and it explodes and sometimes I bounce and do nothing, and honest to god I can't work out what changes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Time travelling French railguns are indeed problematic for balance.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm going 4.0 German CARB in the evenings right now to grind my golden wagers out. Someone come join me and play Russians so we get the dream guaranteed win team.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

People do disgusting things with the Yak 9K.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

America 6.3 is amazing right now. I can't recall the last time I lost a game.

e:

War Thunder 1.81 posted:

In RB ground battles, the cost of respawning ground vehicles has been reduced by half, and for reserve vehicles, has been removed altogether.

I'm also really digging this change. You are still rewarded for doing well, but CARB games no longer mostly involve one team disintegrating at first contact and then getting spawn camped in. There's always at least a second wave of actual tanks to feed into the fight.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 23, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The hilarious counter to the massive BMP-2 usage right now is hilarous numbers of M2A4s running around blapping them because they are tiny and fast and cheap as chips and their gun works just fine.

e: also german teams have a terrible time now because while before the SP changes they could wait for the enemy team to advance from the cap points, blap them all, then roll forward, now if they try that there's always a second or even third wave of Allied tanks coming up against them and German teams can't deal with that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tomorrow I'm going to smash out some golden wagers and would like buddies. You need a 3.0 arcade air lineup - the best is to go US and get all the P47s and things with guns and bombs. You dump bombs on things, head on to get your kills, then come back again and repeat until the match is won.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you are getting spawn camped in Air- Arcade then the solution is to immediately dive right for the deck. If the spawn camper has to choose between following you all the way down and losing his advantage, or picking off the next three people one after the other then he'll pick the second.

efb

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Exioce posted:

Logistics skills are more noticeable higher up the tree, but even t2 botes can take next to a full day to repair. It's a nice thing to have for the last game of the day where you can log off without paying the SL repair cost and come back to a repaired bote

What is this post

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If anyone else is doing Christmas toys for Tankers I've settled on Arcade Tigers and Panthers as the optimal way of doing it. You get your captures, the other side will obligingly throw Shermans at you to rack up the kills, and wins are easy. All you need to do is adjust the fact that everything is a drag racer and hiding is not a thing and the shame is forever.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Just to chime in with what everyone else said, War Thunder is not World of Tanks, there is no endgame you are unlocking by getting to higher tiers. I pay for premium every year at sale time because it reduces the grind and means I literally never have to worry about 'repair costs' or 'cheap ammo' or other horrifying things you sometimes see the peasantry raving about. Also because I get many hours of enjoyment out of this game and so have very little resistance to bunging Gaijin some cash every now and again.

I am also firmly on team 'tier 1 is the most fun (if not the most interesting)'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Azran posted:

We have a Discord, in case you don't mind Discord

https://discordapp.com/invite/NxkKM8r

For the avoidance of doubt, you often won't see people playing, but set yourself up in a channel and people will often start to appear.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Go back in time and play the T34 back when the most dangerous thing it could face was a PZIVe or Stug III.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Good speed, turret traverse speed, and you can walk your shots onto weak spots rather than be forced to wait after your first shell falls short/bounces. Oh and all that is emphasised by having an experienced crew.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Balance is pretty good until you get till about 7.0 now. There are no more devastating periods to be in unless your nation's tanks are fundamentally flawed (ie. the UK early-mid tiers).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Everything up to 6.0 is fun and relatively even these days. From that point on you swing first into the Russian bias bullshit zone before emerging into the historically-accurate-but-that's-unfortunate US Freedom own zone.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I would also like this but I suspect that there's modelling that the extra wait time that constricting matchups this way causes player populations to nosedive. Maybe.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

I don't want all versus all but I do think they should remove the restrictions on who can team up with who. It's silly that France can never be on the same team as Japan or that the US can never fight against the UK. Gimme a UK/Russia/Germany versus France/US/Japan and other weird matchups like that. Might also force them to balance the vehicles that are over/underperforming thanks to who they get matched with and against.

Yeah this. Now that we're deep into cold/contemporary territory lining up nations by WW2 alliance doesn't make sense anyway.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shanakin posted:

Honestly a 75mm jumbo just doesn't have the firepower to do much in a frontal engagement, regardless of the ammo. Even with APCR, if the tiger 500m down the street is like 15° offset then there isn't much you can do. Damaging the gun is a good choice if you can for obvious reasons. You can also try for a maillot shot but it's just as likely to gently caress you as it is to go through (but at least it might go through). At any kind of range head on then you can only really attempt to disable or distract/smoke them so you can get close enough or flank enough to actually kill them.

Tigers in that situation are basically a hard counter to jumbos and with a bit of experience you can get unnaturally good at hitting the weak machine-gun port on the jumbos and insta-kill them. It's in these situations that playing a tiger 1 in game feels like playing a tiger 1 in a movie.

Yeah the purpose of the 75mm jumbo is to go medium hunting. Stay away from heavy tanks.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BBJoey posted:

Plane review:

+Not tanks
+Not boats
+Planes

The perfect snipe

Plane review:
- 0mm steel plate armour on most models
- most models have only 20mm cannon
- optimal range for engagement often less than 200m
- no reverse gear

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mmkay posted:

Sometimes my boats have negative climbrate, please advise.

It depends. Are they good at preserving energy while diving?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Madurai posted:

Not mentioned: how radar for naval units will be kind of a big deal.

Not really. The world isn't curved and naval units are not operating at ranges where radar would matter. Also War Thunder night is not dark like real night.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The answer is that you were bad before and not-bad now. Congratulations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I am glad that active people are consolidating into LAME because that is the option that involves least effort for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How do we actually use LAME. Like what's it do.

When then next patch drops there will be three vehicles that in some way I don't quite understand you research via a new thing called 'squadron rp'. Ie. there's going to be a specific in game reward for being in LAME there wasn't before.