Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Getting in on the ground floor to say, tanks are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Azran want me to write an update on tank ammo choices?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Here you go Azran.
There are a load of different ammo types in Tanks, and it can be pretty confusing for a new player. There’s loads of different shells, and they aren’t really explained super well. The most common question is “Which one is the best?” and the answer is “It depends”. However, if you are just getting started, the guns reload quickly enough that you basically can’t go wrong. If you have any doubts, just ask the thread. For a new player, I recommend the german tanks. The Panzer 4 F2 is a 3.3 battle rating tank that is a very good all-rounder with a crazy good gun, and is excellent for learning the game. I heavily recommend researching it ASAP

Shell types are split into 3 different categories by the community: Solid shot, APHE, and HE. I’ll start with what is generally considered the best, APHE.

APHE stands for Armour Piercing High Explosive. Generally, the icon for these types of shells will be a grey bullet with an orange explosion. The names a little misused by players, and typically refers to any AP shell that contains explosive filler. Basically, these shells will penetrate tanks armour; continue flying through, and explode inside. It’s always incredibly important to always shoot where crew members are, but APHE will give you a lot of leeway. It’s extremely common for an APHE shell detonating in a turret to kill the driver, up the front of the tank. You’ll use these shells the most as Russians, Germans and the Japanese. The Panzer 4 I mentioned before gets access to these shells.

Solid Shot: It’s in the name, refers to any shot that is just a solid lump of metal. There are 3 types of solid shot:
AP, APC, APCBC. These are the most common types of solid shot. They are just OK, they typically have a bit more penetration than their APHE counterparts, but they don’t explode. This means you need to be extra careful when aiming.
AP stands for Armour Piercing, C for Capped, and BC for Ballistic Cap. The capped versions of the shells have softer tips, which let them penetrate angled (relative to you) armour much more efficiently. If your tank has these shells (IE Brit tanks), use the one with the most penetration.
Some German tanks have APC shells with explosive filler. These shells are more like APHE shells in that they’ll explode inside the tank. You can tell by the orange explosion in the shell icon.

APDS: You won’t be seeing this shell type as a new player, it’s only on later tanks. It is far and away the best solid shot shell you’ll see until the very end of the tree. Not only does it have massive penetration, it also creates a huge amount of shrapnel flying around the tank. It’s very good. APDS stands for Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot. Basically, the shell is a tiny little dart with a surrounding that stops gasses just rushing past it as its shot up the barrel. These fall away when the round exits. These things are fast as gently caress.

APCR: :siren:APCR is crap.:siren: Don’t be fooled by its high penetration values. You almost never want APCR loaded, and it’s pretty much always best to avoid the tanks that force you to use it. These rounds generate almost no shrapnel inside a tank, so it’s extremely easy to miss important crew members by an inch, and then die while you reload. The only time you want to use this shell is against really thick flat armour, and only if the tank isn’t angled relative to you. If you find yourself struggling to penetrate, look for HEAT ammo, and if your tank doesn’t have it, take a 3-4 APCR as a backup. APCR stands for Armour Piercing Composite Rigid, and is like firing a rifle bullet with cannon sized cartridges. Fast, but it does no damage.

HE. HE stands for High Explosive. There are 2 main types you will run into. These shells will have yellow icons, or a big red arrow for HEAT
Pure HE: You want to take a few of these shells. Literally lobs a big ball of explosives at your enemy. It’s incredibly effective against trucks and open topped vehicles, because they have no armour to protect their crew. You will generally always 1 hit them. Generally, HE struggles to kill anything with armour

There are a few tanks in the game with monstrous cannons, capable of shooting humungous HE shells that will kill anything and everything. These are the most fun tanks in the game. The best known one is the KV2:

It might look like a clown tank, but it might as well be shooting nukes. Definitely try this tank out. Another pro choice is the Ho-Ro tank destroyer on the Japanese tree. At battle rating 1.7 you’ll have an absolute blast.

HEAT: These shells function kinda like HE. They explode, which shoots a stream of molten metal straight through armour. Because they use chemical energy, they don’t lose penetration at range. These shells work exactly like HE against lightly armoured vehicles like trucks, and are still able to penetrate tanks. You will want to aim your shots well, as the stream is pretty thin. Early vehicles like the German Stug and the Panzer 4’s before the F2 make good use of this ammo. HEAT stands for High Explosive Anti Tank

As for which one you should pick, for early tanks, try to stick to shells with explosive filler (APHE type shells, heat), and always be practicing your aim. Bind the rangefinder in the settings, and remember to use it when you can, to guarantee a first hit. Getting a good first shot is far more important than your ammo choice.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

YellerBill posted:

What about HESH, for the ammo guide?

Also, I'm back after taking a very long break and a few false starts at coming back. I've mostly kept up with with changes to the game except for one thing: What aircraft guns do and don't work well for ground attack at the moment? I know there's been some weirdness with russian 23mm not doing anything to tanks in the past. Is my Hs 129 still good at singlehandedly removing every ground target short of pillboxes and heavy tanks?

I only did lower tier ammo, theres no apfsds or heatfs either. Arguably apds is a pretty advanced shell though, I'll add something about hesh tonight.

As for apcr on the kth, are you sure it didnt set off the ammo in the back of the turret?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

MrLonghair posted:

Carrying seven suckers for a 300% SL booster.

Doesn't that take an hour? How do you not just die in 2.0s as the flakbus?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

cheese posted:

What are you supposed to do against IS-6s at range? I have no idea where to aim.

Cry

Thing is OP as gently caress at 7.0. I think at 7.3 it'd be poo poo. They needed to expand the BRs back when the KT was king, they've just made it worse now.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Warrior Princess posted:

I drive an is-6 in my Russian lineup and the only time I'm killed at range is HEATFS, ATGM, or a lucky standard round into cupola.

Lucky APHE round, sabot isn't gunna do much. You're hosed as pre HESH brits

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Mazz posted:

Yeah when I get IS-6 in my Super Hellcat games I tend to avoid them as best as possible and go kill 44s or 54s if I can. Keep track of them in the kill log and when you get to the P-47/AD-2, try to prioritize them for your team.

I did have some luck recently getting APCR through the turret, but that poo poo isn't reliable either. That cupola thing seems to be mentioned a bunch when googled, I'll try that out with M82 when I play next. Sounds touchy at best though

Its an even harder shot than the KT mantlet

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yep so they making winter camouflage even more p2w cool

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Stevefin posted:

Speaking of pay to win, Is the in game econ even worse now? I have not played since combined arms came in, and I have yet to make a profit in any tier

you arent going to make money in carb.

they lowered jet rp considerably a while ago, at the same time reducing vehicle rp and upping mod rp rewards at the end of a game. So tanks tank forever, jets a little less long.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 1, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

YF-23 posted:

Normally I'd say that you should always, universally, Get Closer, but in arcade the flight models are wonky enough that enemy movements can be hard to follow at 300m. If you're playing realistic though, 300-500m is the ideal distance for putting your guns on target.

For ammo, the general rule is that if you want to kill planes, the more HE or incendiary rounds you have in your ammo belts the better (especially early-war since planes there tend to be made of wood and fabric and can catch fires relatively easy). There's gonna be a few planes here and there that have a decent amount of armour though (such as the IL-2), and those can usually withstand explosive shells pretty well. I'm still not sure I'd recommend AP for them though. I think I've seen pilot kills more frequently with US .50 AP belts than with universal ones, but that might be confirmation bias, and if you're flying Russian you don't really have access to that kind of firerate anyway.

apparently ap on 50 cal and below is the new hotness, because it goes through the plane and doesn't lose much energy, so you tear wings super easy

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

BBJoey posted:

if you're using gun pods you're flying 109s insanely wrong and should have a long hard think about what you've done

why do all the cyberaces do it on the f4?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

chairface posted:

Roll rate's better, engine's strong, elevator authority's good. The Fw190 is a reasonably agile plane, actually. It doesn't really seem it up against Brits or Soviets, or compared to the 109 in areas other than roll rate but you can clown a lot of American planes with it. Also not to get all Wehraboo about it but this Russian-made game might not be entirely accurate or fair involving direct German-Russian comparisons *cough*.

russian bias doesn't exist anything that looks like it is pure incompetence and greed.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Hey longhair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Llc5gGumLo&t=348s

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

spectralent posted:

Germany at 6.0ish is pretty dire right now huh? Panther doesn't seem to have much of an answer to the US heavies given it's a real big, lumbering beast and can't reverse, and the Centurion is a hull-down machine.

german 6.0 players get to experience what KT hell was like

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Mazz posted:

The M46 was only seeing 7.0 anyway as the matchmaker couldn't make it work without throwing them against IS-6 and Panther II. Now it will see more Leos and T-62s which isn't even problematic given its better fighting other mediums than annoying heavies.

Repair cost reductions are a small step in the right direction I guess :v:

The m82 shot will be really good against leos right?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Just wanna say german 3.7 owns

Pz4 f2 is a mini tiger at that tier

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

spectralent posted:

How's the T-44-122? I just got 75% off on it.

its fast and fun and a kt killa

tbqh its actually better than the 34-100 at the role both tanks fill.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Well, we could probably continue getting big leaps if we were at war with anything that was a serious threat like the axis was in ww2

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ArchRanger posted:

This is a really weird support of a bad mechanic. Pretty much any game on the planet death is the penalty for dying because it means you're temporarily out of the fight. Imagine an Overwatch or Battlefield where every player got a single life and you're out of the match rather than dying just meaning you have to respawn. War Thunder is the only game I know of that has matches that can last thirty minutes that you're capable of being knocked back to the match maker in the first thirty seconds. Even worse is that it turns virtually every match into a steamroll rather than any sort of back and forth battle.

Like I play CARB pretty much exclusively but that doesn't mean it's well-designed. That system they've tested in Sim a couple times would be a huge improvement and step in the right direction. I'd love for battles to be, well, battles, rather than one short fight and then a spawn camp.

pubg is like single life bf and it's the most sold game on steam ever

3.1 mil peak players today vs dota 2 (number 2 games) 700k

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Shooting down a plane in real life is all luck. They are so far away and so big and so fast that its impossible for our monkey brains to compute. On top of that you gotta figure out your own bullet trajectories at really hard angles, and wind can change dramatically just a few hundred meters above ground.

All plane kills by tanks have got to be bullshit.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
if you shot a dive bomber that was flying right at you, how do you survive it hitting the ground?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I think the highest tier I've consistantly had fun in is 5.7 germany, the tiger 1's are just really all round good, I think they are a little OP. It's a giant box that rewards being good instead of just being invulnerable no matter what like a tiger 2 or is6 used to be.

Anything above that is entering the horrible grind zone.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You arent going to make a vehicle that doesnt get stuck in mud, tying a log to it is pretty smart and is just 1942's 30t equivalents of those plastic boards you see on 4x4s

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Nickiepoo posted:

Okay I just HESH'ed a Panther so hard that it blew up the tank next to it too so you know, swings and roundabouts.

I love it when that happens, my favourite ever kill was blowing up a kt and getting the aa next to it with an m46 heat (before it got the good one)

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Madurai posted:

If you're close enough you can aim at specific components, you're too close.

So within like 2km, if you are good? The only time its hard is if the tank is gunning it

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The ai was really basic, theyd get stuck on poo poo all the time and laser focus one person through all terrain and cover and continuously shoot at them. You also lost money on your shells killing them. They suck

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How big a dork am I if the only thing I could think about when standing in front of the reichstag was the war thunder map?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I mean the berlin map isnt perfect but its kinda close. Standing there you realise just how small the war thunder maps are, the berlin map is probably twice the scale of the real thing

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I mean like, the physical space the map represents is tiny. Instead of shrinking the city down, they took a teensy parcel of it and made it bigger. I guess they didnt want to put the fuhrerbunker in the game by expanding south of the brandenburg gate but they could have gone north of the river and maybe invent some bridges. Or west and get more of the tiergarten and palace?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 22, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Don’t pick tanks by era pick them by br

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What french tanks do i play/grind? is there a t34 or pz4 f2 equivalent?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Larry Parrish posted:

I really, really love my hellcat but holy poo poo the gun sucks. Good thing the tank is so insanely fast you can flank and spank everything and almost always score several point caps

The gun is amazing and is actually the best thing about that tank. If it was slower it would still be really good with that gun (maybe even better because it's super easy to overextend with as is). You can 1 hit tigers from the front easily by aiming at the center of the front plate. If they don't die they won't have any turret crew left. Not that you should be

Capping is the wrong use of that tank. If you cap rush in an m18, you are going to have 0 armour to defend yourself and your slow rear end team mates get 0sp. It's best used on the flanks.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
you are in the wrong place we only play tanks

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
jesus christ just dont loving call them nips or japs or gooks or chinks its not a hard rule to follow.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Bushes are incredibly op on certain tanks, they are very pay to win.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The t95 is basically frontally invulnerable with bushes to most of the stuff it fights. Anything that relies on you hitting tiny weakspots is.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

DonkeyHotay posted:

I would be perfectly willing to have a good faith discussion with you about how language policing is a business-friendly red herring that serves no purpose further than allowing self satisfied liberals to feel smug about something and does nothing at all to correct the deep structural issues that actually contribute to the immiseration of the global south, *if* you think this is the correct thread for that. but I'm guessing your good faith in no way extends that far.

gently caress off idiot. Ostracising racist assholes for their racism is very effective you shitheel. It might not convince you but it sure does show everyone else around you that its unacceptable and its not like anyones curing you of your bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You're calling people out for telling a racist to stop being racist. That either makes you a racist or an idiot trying to argue some dumb poorly thought out point. Either way you are defending peoples right to be racist.