Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm just skeptical everything was calculated correctly given the whole FCM 36/Ha Go fiasco.

I know it was an outdated gun but I just find it hard to believe even the French and Japanese decided to put a gun in their tank that couldn't have penetrated a Mark I from WW1 at anything but point blank, with a fuze set to detonate at a depth the shell can't reach.

Like they were bad at tank design in the 30s but not that bad. Surely the FCM or Ha Go knocked out a *single* tank during the war.

An important consideration is that shells with a penetration depth fuse don't actually have a penetration depth fuse but an impact activated delay fuse. So these guns will hit a 15mm armour plate, embed themselves in it and then explode, spalling the gently caress out of the tank's interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Yaks are supposed to use inert gas which should choke the fire, but that might be why it isn't sealing properly. I have to re-read up on their SST's though.

They use gas inerting to stop the fuel tanks from exploding, it doesn't help the fire going on outside the fuel tank after a leak.
A lot of American planes just put the fuel inside an expanding rubber bladder instead, which was lined with a self-sealing material. No air == no explosions inside the fuel tanks.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Solumin posted:

The one last point about the 40t, which applies to all of the French auto loaders, is always keep track of your auto loader!! You do not want to get stuck waiting for the whole thing to reload.

This was true IRL, of course. One of the auto loader designs required taking the tank apart in order to reload it. Thankfully they decided not to model that in game.

The AMX 13 75 has to be reloaded from outside the tank, which is always fun. The French did not consider this a problem, if you couldn't win a tank battle in 6 shots it meant you'd lost. Especially in something as dinky as the AMX 13.