Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Is there an organized group of goons playing this? In my experience, fighter pilot games are better with someone watching your back, but I'd rather not gamble that the someone ends up being a Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shanakin posted:

Discord server is the first thing in the OP. You need that to join [LAME], the most active remaining goon squadron. It's most definitely better to be playing in a squad. Having said that, these days LAME tends to be more of a place for talking about the game than playing together (although that definitely still happens). Organised activity is generally way down.

:psyduck: How the gently caress did I miss that after reading the OP three times?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

i say swears online posted:

A friend and I racked up some wins last night and I got the warning about "if you had premium you'd get this many lions!" so after seven years I finally bit the bullet and bought a month of premium, thinking I'd get the rewards for that day. Was this a bait-and-switch? My lions didn't go up at all.

It's a multiplier per match. It's not retroactive.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Goast posted:

replace the entire op with that link

In 72pt font

Make a giant banner image that says "LAME rear end Discord" and link that to the Discord invite.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

In the spirit of the thread title, I just had my best game in bombers yet, flying treetop around abandoned factory ground strike in AB. I killed 4 planes, got 4 assists, 10 ground targets, and only died once. All below 500m.

Yeah, we lost. But god drat that was fun. It was the first time I ever saw all 4 of the B-25's turrets firing at the same time, and the nose cannon for good measure.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Why do I sometimes randomly end up at a score screen from an air AB before the match ends?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Am I flying a heavy rear end brick of a plane that goes real fast and retains energy well out of a dive?

Then don't try to dogfight you loving nerd. Dive fast, eat rear end, run, repeat. This gameplay loop should not be hard for me to understand, but somehow the instinct to chase is too strong.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Anyone have any tips for the early Spitfires in realistic? They seem to suck real bad up high, and their turn performance just sets you up to get blapped if you stay low.

In addition to what Solumin said, a pattern I'm finding is that as a low altitude optimized craft, you don't want to be the first pilot at the buffet, unless you're real good at making BnZ guys from 3-6km ASL eat poo poo in their dives/baiting for your own guys. You're still an energy fighter insofar as you need to manage your energy, and that means if at all possible, you want to be the one diving on someone else--while not a rule, you're probably in a higher energy state if you've been cruising at 350@3km and the fw-190 just dove into a furball and got on someone else's tail.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Somehow I didn't foresee finding a Thrustmaster throttle for not-scalper prices would be as difficult as finding a 3080 back in September, but here I am.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blistex posted:

I repeated the process and received a rude message from him.

That's the victory right there.

I get to spend today configuring my new HOTAS. The answer to my scalpers ate my throttle problem was to just return the single stick and buy the HOTAS package.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

apseudonym posted:

you can also range spots you expect tanks to show up so you already know the range.

This is one I'm particularly fond of. Even if I know a tank isn't there, preranging that cluster of rocks helps when, three seconds later, a tank rolls in.

Then I get to listen to whining in chat about hacks or something equally dumb :allears:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oh, so this is the fabled Russian bias?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Malefitz posted:

Bring a pair of spare wings and get to work fast before you spiral into the ground after one is shot off.

How hard can it be, just tether the pilot to the plane

Turret gunners wing walking on a B-17 to put a new engine on, or manually operate the flaps after the control line is severed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jesus Christ it was a joke. :stonk:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blistex posted:

**Honestly**
-Grief
-Change maps
-Boycott

Amended the list for effective options. Boycotting is basically ignoring with the added bonus that you're denying yourself something you've implied that you want.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ArchRanger posted:

I'm not gonna link across forums for drama. It's easy to find regardless

Yet here you are, being coy about it. :thunk:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

LostCosmonaut posted:

I know a guy who's made over 10x returns on the gaijin marketplace by getting multiple copies of vehicles and then selling them later, he claims there's some predictable price dynamics but I don't know. Big problem seems to be lack of a way to convert gaijin dollars into actual currency.

For a while there was an E100 on sale for $1488, which is kind of horrifying but I hope some wehraboo got fleeced out of almost $1.5k for a pixel tank.

I'm guessing the 'predictable price dynamics' are the standard "this thing is popular, but limited, and over time the price will rise as the limited supply shrinks and sshitlerboner1488 absolutely has to have that limited run Nazi tank from three years ago."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Teeter posted:

German 13mm IAI can compete with US .50s in the flamethrower war:
https://gfycat.com/excitableevergreenamericanbulldog

If you sub out a TIE fighter for your plane the visuals work the same. :colbert:

That's hardly the burning carpet of a full brace of American .50 API-T drilling away.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This April Fools trailer looks unironically fun. The visuals are vibrant and popping, classing WT flight models, rigid airship carrier, War Toonder should be a thing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Unfortunately this is enough of a warning sign to chill any desire I have to jump back into this genre. :sweatdrop: Thanks for the rundown though

Stay in mid tier and you'll generally avoid the nonsense going on with jets and modern armor and :ccp:...er I mean Gaijin. T-34s feel great to play. The game also has planes and botes too. I play more planes than tanks, and I don't play boats. If I'm ever getting too frustrated with one, I can switch to the other for a bit. If you're a particular brand of grognard, there's even full sim mode for planes and tanks. And if you like that and are worried the devs will break it--don't. I'm pretty sure Gaijin forgot sim exists.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I finally unlocked my F-82, and got the gunpod. This is the best thing ever. 14x .50 MGs on the center line more than makes up for this thing having the handling of a greased pig.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Madurai posted:

With infantry nonexistent and artillery stubbornly abstracted, the only other lever to push is airpower, and you need look no further than this thread to see how folks react to that.

Well, and mines, but that's so much anti-fun they'll never do it.

So when do you think they'll roll Enlisted and WT together?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

Bombers are fine, just loving get your bombing in and then J out on the AF instead of sitting in space for 30 minutes

Might be worth it to go gunshipping at that point...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

War Thunder is a front for an FSB op.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

DCS is like nerdier War Thunder.

Plenty of folks here should share some interest.

We'll do a Let's Play and a story driven semi-dynamic campaign in DCS starting in a few weeks with planning and after action reports and poo poo like that, check it out.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989829

If you haven't yet, go crosspost this in the Ace Combat thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819719

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Danann posted:

the true wargame cat c experience

this takes me back

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Orv posted:

With apologies to the APB goons, wherever they may be.

A few pages back but.... someone has to carry the torch.

:negative:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mazz posted:

I remember the B-25s in AB used to be absolute monsters because very little could actually outshoot them from any real direction at their BR. I remember getting like 22 air kills between them in one game, but that was years ago.

I think they nerfed turret gunners somewhere along the way. My experience with max rank but not ace gunners is that they're 'passable but won't deter a committed foe that can actually fly.'

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's honestly kinda wild how much fidelity goes into the April Fools mode every year.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I had a pretty :stare: round in my IS-3 and I kinda wish I had more rounds like this where my front armor actually *does it's drat job* and lets me survive long enough to give a good fight against peer tanks. :mad:

But yeah I somehow managed to dodge *three* missiles from some sort of AFV/IFV; and I was blocking *two* heavy tanks, looked like a King Tiger and a Jadgtiger who despite being well within 500m weren't penning me; they did take out my gun and at one point my treads but I just stayed alive and kept them from getting past me long enough that the jadgtiger got impatient, tried to flank me to get me from the side *still failed to pen* and died to my teammate who arrived like the goddamn big drat heroes cavalry to save the day, killing the jadgtiger and then the king tiger.

That's what I consider to be a fun match, not dying instantly through the frontplate to some stupid french jeep with a weird bazooka.

One of my few tank RB matches had something like this where I was BDH in a T-34. While the enemy team was trying to dislodge my ally defending a point, me and another teammate were firewalling it toward the town they were in and managed to use the maze-like streets to get around behind the enemy. So unaware they were I was able to drive up bumper to bumper and dump all the ammo I wanted straight into his engine block and turret. Not the most efficient way to kill the tank for sure, but definitely satisfying.

I need to shake off the rust and play tanks again. I'm just so air brained that whenever I do anything tank related I immediately forget how to play the game because I'm not able to move on a vertical axis.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The highlight for me is the bomb doinking off the front of the tank while the fuse starts ticking.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I LIVED MOTHERFUCKERS!

Wings are overrated.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Unless it comes with a picture of a big tiddy anime waifu I'm never grinding event rewards ever again. I'll click on the non-battle pass bp rewards occasionally for the 100,000 SL and that's it.

War Thunder needs Idolmaster skins just like Ace Combat.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

Looks like you'll finally be able to play War Thunder in VR! Finally!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk3SjEr236E

thats not candy posted:

gaijin neglects the sim modes so much but decides there's a market for a spin off console vr version? im so confused right now

My first and only question is whether or not this'll make trying to do VR in PC thunder not feel like rear end between booting up and getting in game. And since this is all "consoles woooo!" my bet is no, and gently caress you for asking.

I did VR a few times, and what ultimately turned me off was trying to navigate the UI in VR mode. Absolute nightmare for me. Once I was actually loaded in though, I loved it. Land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I never really noticed it myself, but I'm also someone who apparently has the brain-inner-ear-optical-filtering combo to just no-sell any of the nausea and disorientation effects some folks report with VR. My problems always boil down to poor UI implementations.

Honestly a lot of PCVR interfaces mess with me because if I'm doing seated stuff, I'll use a combination of controls to get to things--M+KB, gamepad, motion controls, whatever is available and seems to work. Most games don't seem to know how to handle that though. I had the issue with Project Wingman as well where even though I had the gamepad controls, the only thing that worked on the gamepad was the button inputs in the UI--I was forced to navigate by moving my head to point the viewpoint cursor at UI elements and press a button on the gamepad to select it.

:psyduck:

Elite Dangerous did a pretty good job with it to be honest. It's just too bad about everything else. :frontear: