Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nub question: If you already have say, two BR4 and a BR4.7 aircraft for a country, as well as a BR2.3 and a pair of BR1.7 tanks, is there any way to queue for arcade tank battles that doesn’t put you in matches with BR 4 tanks?

I’m just getting facestomped, and there doesn’t seem to be anything to do for it except play a different countries’ tanks. (That I don’t have any high level aircraft in.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Speaking of which, is there a hot key to override the instructor? Landing a tail dragger in arcade is rough when the instructor is trying to keep the airplane from touching the ground.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Thief posted:

waiting on them to add swing wing planes tia gaijin

Ta 283 for maximum SWOTL flavor.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I think it’s the G.50s that have twin Breda .50s (they have low muzzle velocity and inferior RoF to M2s,) in tier one, which certainly isn’t overpowered, but is out of the ordinary for the tier. They’re fun.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Unoriginality posted:

'bout a week, maybe two, after they made that change they edited some patch notes to include it. So, uh, congratulations! Assists aren't really a thing anymore. You're supposed to get one if you crit the guy, but even that is buggy, and fires don't count as crits. Have fun!

Meanwhile, I’ve gotten a couple assists recently tagging already-destroyed planes.

:downsgun:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Learn deflection shooting and blow up your opponents when they turn to maneuver rather than ramming them up the rear end. It's the ideal way to hunt bombers.

Deflection shooting works really well with .50cals because you have a death beam and thousands of rounds of ammunition so it's easy to adjust and rip a plane.

F-82 with the gunpod still makes me giggle maniacally. I take tracers too, just because it’s so ridiculous.

I’m also real bad at this game.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone have any recommendations on buying premium time? Do ya’ll buy a day at a time, or big blocks?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blistex posted:

Still, idiots who just strafe enemy tanks over and over with .303s are in most cases actively hurting a team's chances.

I had a pair of Dicker Maxs kindly line up hull-down behind a ridgeline the other day as I dove in with my gunpod F-82.

All the dakka.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m quite enjoying 7.3 AirAB/RB, but the queue times are waaaaaay worse than anything underneath it.

Just unlocked my first 76mm Sherman, as well. I don’t know if I’m even going to slot the 75mm Jumbo. Maybe just skip it and grind directly to the 76.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kidkissinger posted:

Finally ground my way up to 4.3 in the Soviet ground tree. I see a lot of people talking about purchasing a premium tank to grind with. What's the best way to grind the rest of the tree?

The Soviet tree has some real standouts in the T-34 line that might be worth a Talisman instead of a premium. (Talismans basically turn a tech-tree vehicle into a premium, for the purposes of RP and SL generation.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I generally run like, 15-20 APwhatever, 0-2 HE, 2-3 smoke, and 2-3 APCR, if I carry it at all. No more than 25 rounds overall if I can help it. On a lot of vehicles, emptying specific ammo racks makes the vehicle dramatically more survivable, particularly against anyone firing KE ammo of any flavor. On my M18 as an example, I only take APCR if I’m uptiered, and only carry 15rds overall.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blistex posted:

Every event interface that WT has is the worst interface ever. Tugging on the random ligaments of 32 mangled chickens hooked up to a USB port would be better than what Gaijin comes up with.

I have absolutely no loving idea what’s going on in the current event, or what the goals or rewards are. It’s absolutely incomprehensible.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Any tips on grinding through air 7.3? The queue times for AB and RB are terrible.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ArchRanger posted:

What nation? I've never had too much trouble with the queue times for that BR in RB but it's been a bit since I last went through it.

:911:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ArchRanger posted:

Gaijin has never once attempted a small change to balance, it's always like, nerf a tank's reload and ammo penetration, raise the battle rating, and triple the repair cost, all at once.

This is something I actually feel like most developers do to most multiplayer games. Unit X outperforming unit Y by 15%? 50% buff to unit Y, 50% nerf to unit X.

It’s baffling. No one ever tweaks things slowly to observe the result.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ArchRanger posted:

Yeah, anymore I just grind high-tier tanks with Tank Assault but if I'm playing for fun I rarely go above tier 4. Planes I still find fun at every tier but that might be just because my highest jet is 9.3 and I don't see uptiers into 10.3 very often where it looks like things get dumb.

Low tiers really are the best.

I went 12 and 0 in the Crusader Mk II the other day. I think the next guy on my team had 3 kills.

Next round was 6.0 in my American tanks (coincidentally, 5.7-6.0 are lovely BRs for :911:), and I went 0 and 3, and it cost me like 15k SL for the privilege of dying to turbo-nerds.

Low tiers all day.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

F-104 when?

This is important.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Honestly not sure if I want an early-model USAF F-104 interceptor or a West German F-104G more.

Think of all the lawn darts.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blistex posted:

The rest of my lineup is a lot easier to play at this BR because they have very effective guns that can reliably pen tanks a few BRs above them (Pz IV F2, Marder III, etc.)

The F2 is loving fantastic, even when it gets uptiered. When it’s top tier it’s borderline unfair.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Why in the name of gently caress is the P-80A 7.3 and the P-80C 7.7?

They’re mediocre when top tier, and absolutely hilariously outmatched when uptiered, which being an American plane is literally every match.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Russia stronk.

:ussr:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

3.7 is when when range and firepower starts outclassing armour in a big way.

Unless you're the US. 3.7 is where the US tank guns seemed to suck hardest. The 3in in the M10 is awesome, and the 76mm in the M18 is superb at top tier, but decidedly mediocre once you get an actual tank with it. The 76mm Jumbo may as well have a loving tshirt cannon on it, for all the good it does at 6-7.0. The T25 is the first US tank I feel actually has a reasonable gun in relation to what you're fighting.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blistex posted:

Can't think of anything. They simulated Zero-G and Newtonian Physics. . . still nothing.

It's great for brushing up leading with airplane turrets and ships.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Madurai posted:

In a perfect world, the space pods would make for a diverting couple of games, everyone would have a good laugh, and we'd move on. Instead, I have to grind this poo poo for a week and a half, because they've dangled the Obj.279 as bait and I'm not gonna walk away from that.

You get the rocket materials from regular games too I think. Unless there’s specific materials that only come from Space Pods.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The lead markers are where your shells need to go to hit the target, taking the targets motion into account. You need to add compensation for YOUR motion, not necessarily aim at the lead marker.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The 75mm Jumbo to 5.3 is a real :wtc: for me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Loomer posted:

Popgun Jumbo is still viable at 5.0 if you play aggressively on a maxed crew. At 5.3, I'm not so sure.

At 5.3, when facing the inevitable American max uptier, you’ll be up against Tiger IIs, Jagdpanthers, T-44s, and IS-2 1944s. Good luck even covering your repair bill in that match. The 75mm Jumbo was always viable when top tier, but it’s gun and trash mobility are just totally uncompetitive above that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Madurai posted:

I don't really like being stuck on the bumper-cars maps just because I'm at low tier, either. OTOH, it'd be nice if the wreck objects in the maps that have them had tier-appropriate replacements.

The first time I played Fulda was a 4.7 RB match, and the static T-55s and stuff scared the gently caress out of me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I still done understand how anyone had managed to grind to the top tier of a new tree in a month even with premium, other than spending an ungodly amount of eagles on research boosting.

Like are these people playing 8 hours a day every day?

I'm not going to get a single rocket off, while people are complaining about grinding out their sixth one. And I feel like I play a decent amount. Poopsocking is STRONGLY rewarded.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blistex posted:

Don't touch your MG unless you actually need to use it (ranging shots or hitting soft targets). I don't know how many times I have killed someone who just couldn't stop firing their MG for no reason every ten seconds.

Conversely, the roof .50 on American tanks makes an excellent field expedient smokescreen. If they already know where you are, you can at least keep them from lining up a shot on your weak points.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Orv posted:

You'll need to keybind your rangefinder mechanic, then you point at terrain, hit the key and depending on a few things it'll take a moment or several and pop out a range number. Crew skills and tank modules both effect range finding speed though you don't need to worry about actual module rangefinders for a bit yet. Then use your scope marks to line up the shot.

It's worth noting that you can also bind "sight distance control," its an axis, but can be bound to keys. It lets you set your gunsight to a specific range. If you're in a TD or otherwise sniping, its useful, since you can put the crosshairs right on them, and if you have the range right, you'll get first-shot hits.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Orv posted:

You loving what

It’s best for American tanks, with their 1.00001x zoom optics.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

eggyolk posted:

When will USA get a functional SPAA at 3.7?

The M15A1 is a perfectly servicable tank for- BWAHAHAHHAHAHA

Sorry I couldn’t finish that sentence.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Alchenar posted:

The m15 and m16 are both great and only second to german AAA in their tier.

The M16 is fantastic, and is if anything, undertiered. It absolutely shreds any airborne target it encounters, even when uptiered.

The M15A1 is trash. It’s slower, has inferior mobility, the turret can’t fire at the horizon pointed forwards, the turret is loving ENORMOUS, and it has garbage turret traverse. I actually find that driving it in reverse to be more effective than in forwards gears for basically all operations except the initial drive out of spawn. Not to mention that actually hitting an airplane with the 37mm is an exercise in futility. The extra pair of M2s is way more useful than the 37mm.

Also, it looks like a trash can.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:stare:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The P47m apparently has one extra pair of 50 cals over the real life variant. They removed some to save weight and make it go fast to catch V-1 rockets.

Ya, it still has all eight. Basically the M is the P-47D-25 but with the R-2800-57 from the P-47N. Fights just like the D, but can actually climb. Basically a couple hundred extra horsepower.

ITS A LOT OF FUN

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RE: P-51 energy retention; If you’re getting into a turn fight, you are loving up, bub. Boom and zoom your way to greatness. The P-51 has great high-speed maneuverability to allow you to put guns on target, but DO NOT follow the other guy through the turn. Roll out, and use the speed to climb. Conserve your energy advantage at all times.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blistex posted:

I don't understand why people still attempt to head on me when they are playing against the Germans.

"Hmm, the enemy is in a twin engine fighter/bomber. . . Can either be a 110, 410 129. . . those are all lightly armed aircraft. Better attempt to try taking it head on."

I love using the F-89D to teach doofuses in ME262s that they are not king poo poo in headons.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Solumin posted:

They do announce all the BR changes well in advance, but the announcements don't often show up in this thread.

By announce, he means they quietly publish a totally unreadable google spreadsheet with the changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

loving cowards should have put the Mirage IV in first and watched the fireworks.