Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

spectralent posted:

Tank assault is a real fuckin' bad mode and you shouldn't play it.

So just like air assault then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Thief posted:

just dont do what i did and send in like 5 replays of you crashing the most expensive premium planes in the game on take off by pointing the cursor at the ground and kicking the rudder left/right for comical results then telling them the flight model is broken then demand a refund and eventually send them a ramming montage of that same because they refused

I don't use the word 'hero' often.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Exioce posted:

I'm within sneezing distance of Ace-ing the Halifax for free

This is what madness looks like.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Do any of you have any advice on which stick to use for cyber-acing? My 17 year old Cyborg 3D finally kicked the bucket so it's about time I moved on.

I'm eyeing up the x52 if it's actually good but would also be happy with a cheaper thrustmaster if it 'does the job just fine'.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
https://warthunder.com/en/news/4919-gamescom-new-e-r-a-in-war-thunder-1-71-major-update-announcement-en

Looks like we're getting the rank 6 tanks that were hinted at in that event a while back. Tanks are bad but if this leads to an expanded plane tree then colour me interested.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Thrustmaster T16000M was the go-to, iirc

I'd rather something with an off-hand throttle if possible.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Well I guess that settles it then. Thanks guys!

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Ragtime All The Time posted:

It does mention new aircraft in the same sentence as the t6 tanks tho...?

"We will post more information as we go along chaps. Watch the news. 1.71 will have our usual addition to the existing game, ground vehicles, planes and maps, but primarily, it will introduce Level 6 Ground vehicles using the new mechanics, this will be the focus on this occasion. There will be no rank 6 aircraft in this update."

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

But that is a big ol' 'THIS update, wink wink' so I wouldn't be surprised if that's a direction the game goes in in general.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

The Russian forces must have missed this memo.

Nothing that can't be overcome with a bit of grit and a few hundred thousand casualties.

EDIT: Wiki lists Russian ground attacker losses at 23,600.

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 29, 2017

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

McSpanky posted:

THE PENIS IS EVIL

Sean Connery in a thong is exactly what I needed to be thinking about right now so thanks for this.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

How would simtanks and sim planes fare when enemy can have all the units?

Sim Tanks already had to work around its Warcrime/lendlease potential by doing that 'can only bring very specific tanks on the event list' thing which tends to be my favourite way to play tanks anyway.

EDIT: So the answer is that it would be a confused mess of blue on blue and probably beautiful as a result.

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 22, 2017

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

e. uhh, they just got some AV stars on stage for... reasons

e3. and now they're taking their clothes off

What the hell Japan.

Thief posted:

mixed battles was already a thing in sb planes when there wasnt a playerbase large enough to do axis vs allies

the way friendly spotting worked in sim was you had to be within like 1-2.5km of each other. this meant a LOT of players ended up killing the loving poo poo out of each other in high speed attacks if they weren't using the scoreboard to cross reference which planes were potentially friendly

So you literally had to set up a run on everyone you saw only to be told at the last second if you should actually pull the trigger? Hahahahaha :(

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I've played this game for literally years and I never realised there was a custom battle server browser thing that people actually use. Neat!

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
In fairness the guy making the vehicle models is doing a pretty great job which says to me that he's chained in the basement and is going to make 15 more Sherman variants if he ever wants to see his family again.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Azran posted:

One correction to that post that people noted in the comments: you spend the stars to buy the items/camouflage. So a vehicle costs 12 stars, for example.

Basically, it's better for casual players.

Yeah, it seems like casual playing will now let you access mid tier rewards without too much effort vs the old system of 'not worth even looking at unless you're grinding erryday'.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
ffs Gaijin.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

If you have the original bushes

I own no bushes. Are bushes no longer worth owning?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
CARB can be more interesting and involved in the active CAS role but then you do run the risk of just being bounced by the cyber-ace above.

MrLonghair posted:

The originals were large and thick enough to give 1970's flashbacks to some people, the replacements were smaller. Bushes are okay in their book but they won't let us stretch decals to their original size..

I'm casually grinding towards them on the new warbond system unless I get bored before then so was wondering if the reward already wasn't worth the effort.

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 2, 2017

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

The satisfaction when you spike tank crews in a straight down dive and escape unharmed is so good.

Doing this off the bat was amazing in the early CARB tests, and nailing Tigers with Yak-9s literally never got old.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

DumbparameciuM posted:

I'm mostly playing with German planes/tanks. I do have a good amount of American planes unlocked but I don't fly them that often, although I do find them pretty enjoyable. With Ze Chermans my experience in rb is either:

Fly straight to the fight and get bounced by American/Russian fighters which are at higher altitudes

Or

Climb to around 5km, engage a straggler/lone plane and then get bounced by a fighter who was at higher altitude

It's weird to me that you're finding US/Soviet planes at higher alt in a 109. This could either be stock syndrome or else you're climbing at the wrong angle because by first engagement the only things that should be able to match you in alt, to my mind, are late era Spits.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

DumbparameciuM posted:

I usually climb them at between 8 and 10 degrees to maintain a decent amount of speed.

This seems too shallow and could be the source of your problem but I'm sure one of the cyber-aces in here can give a perfect breakdown of climb angle and speed at differing altitudes.

My personal general rule of thumb is to climb at about 250-300kph which seems to give decent results in 109s but I'm not exactly using scientific method here.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Baller Time posted:

Coming back to this after a few years, I am glad to find that the H6K4 is still this ridiculous, undying idiot magnet.

While amazing it's no longer king-poo poo idiot magnet as that title now goes to the german premium BV-238 aka 'that loving boss from Ace Combat' so check that out if you want a laugh.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
That Narval looks awesome-rad futurepast and I want it.

EDIT: Having said that, where the gently caress are the boats already?!

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 11, 2017

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Azran posted:

I'd say end of November - beginning of December. Definitely this year.

It's pretty much the exact same thing except you can save your warbonds from month to month (but you have to grind 22 daily missions + 12 stars if you want to buy premium vehicles so)

40 missions, so you're still having to play every day but the individual missions are much easier than they used to be.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Yeah it really mystifies me that people don't do this by default and it's bad enough that I feel like the local points should just start pre-captured to stop one lone M-18 giving his entire team a disadvantage.

Azran posted:

Right, 40, I don't know why I said 22 :psyduck:

It's 22 for the bushes which are the only thing on there I'd really consider worth it on an effort vs reward scale.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Ambaire posted:

I don't get it. What's going on in this video?

People are waiting for most of the team to catch up before capturing the close point so that they all get 500 respawn credits. Normally you'll have 2-3 people rush ahead in faster vehicles, thus denying an extra life to all the other players.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Thief posted:

i actually told him this after he bought it and he used to turn mid game all chat into a flameware practically every round

The hero we deserve ect

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I'm stuck in the 4.7 British hellzone where I have a line of decent vehicles that are constantly being upranked into fighting Tigers, Panthers and IS-2s so maybe I'll just skip this bit or arcade it out.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
What in the christ is that thing?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

Bundles that give a load of GE for a good price when half off, I suggest.

Anyone got a goontips(tm) on which ones are most worth looking at (value of the vehicle included that is)?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
It's one of those ugly shaved ones that leaves pucker-marks everywhere.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Not to reign on the troll-parade but aren't Chinese players isolated to their own special government approved server for exactly this reason?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
lol indeed.

What gives though, when I see 190s out in the wild I feel like they're basically free kills as far as single-engine aircraft go. Are people just terrible at them?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

How does the Allison engine P-51 with the hispanos fare in RB? It was painful to level up in Arcade but once the engine injection finally unlocked its speed it became a murder machine. Since most RB combat tends to take place around or below 5km, I'm wondering if the Allison engine's poor high altitude performance might be mostly ignored.

That thing is better as an arcade plane than it is as an RB one but it's certainly workable.

chairface posted:

Pubbies default to flying everything like it's a loving biplane

I feel like this is the key issue, yeah, because even when the pubbie isn't being dumb in the ways listed above they normally seem to have either bled their energy already or will happily do so with elevator maneuvers once engaged.

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 9, 2017

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I got involved the other day because a goon in a group invited anyone sitting in the 'Goons' chat channel in game, so that's also something we should collectively take advantage of.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Artless Meat posted:

Planes should have an accuracy penalty if they try to shoot pointing up or down, unless they're a "Boom and Zoom" class plane, where their accuracy will be buffed.

Thanks for reminding me that World of Warplanes is a thing that we can mock.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Wait, what? Is that a real thing in that game?

Yup, and that's literally the most innovative thing about what is otherwise 'World of Tanks but now the tanks have wings'.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Alkydere posted:

What does that even simulate or anything?

And as someone who isn't that great at planes in the first place, all I've seen of WoP has everything moving surprisingly slow and more like some sort of plane-shaped balloon than what WT has gotten me used to. And it's just bags of HP against each other instead of component damage. So, blech.

It's meant to encourage players to gain an alt advantage over other players and they have to mechanically encourage that because there's literally nothing in the game that would do that naturally like it would in any other flight game ever.

Mazz posted:

It was good for what it was back in the day.

We're talking about World of Warplanes specifically (EDIT: Except that one guy you were replying to, right). World of Tanks fully works nicely until you stick propellers on the tanks and try to call it a new game.

As an added lol I just checked the WoWP tech tree and the P-47 isn't even on it even though that's the closest thing you could call a tank with a propeller.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Das Butterbrot posted:

That's a strange way to spell IL-2. That one was nicknamed Betonflugzeug (concrete plane) by the germans for a reason.

Okay this is true and fair. Good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Are we just going to ignore that guys name being Goatse?