Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Italy is the best nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Azran posted:

Can anyone confirm that the D520 is currently not available in-game? I bought it a long time ago but a pubbie just asked how the hell did I get it and I'm confused.

It's no longer available to purchase, but like I have a Dewo

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

So I've been playing Italy for a while now (even pre-patch) so here are some of my thoughts and musings regarding the planes.

Fighters
Basically the main event for the nation, I think its a weird mix of going fast and actually being able to turn. Turning is a fair strategy for the earliest planes (or at least until the Spitfires become more common), although you need to be really close before opening fire. It can be an adjustment if you are used to having buckets of ammo. I find that everything after the G.50 is basically an energy fighter which can can out-turn things it can't outclimb (Spitfire caveat here), but still relies on good positioning (altitude is life). I used to use Stealth when the guns were bad but I use Air Targets belts now on the .50s because it actually works.

Avoid being shot at, you basically never have armour on your plane. You will die a lot flying Italians. Never head on.

The Cr.32 and Cr.42s are able to basically outtturn everything bar Chaikas and probably Gladiators. The Falcos have a distinct advantage in s p e e d relative to every other biplane in the game, and it dives fairly quickly so its down to how good your pilot is. The G.50s are basically like slightly turnier Hurricanes without the guns, so while you can turn with some planes, you wont with others and therefore will just die. Sorry.

The C.200s are okay I guess, I usually think of them as (((slightly))) better G.50s with more ammo, but the serie 7 is at 2.0 so I'd rather take a C.202 at this tier because you will really want that extra horsepower and guns.

The C.202 is probably one of the best Italian fighters at this point and exemplifies what the Italians are all about (agile, fast, poor guns). It can turn pretty well and has a pretty powerful engine so you can fight in the horizontal and vertical if you need to, and you'll probably do both in the same game. You will normally be running this plane on the edge of overheating but you gotta push it to the limit. I am not a big fan of the cannon 202 because you get fat and thats a big loss for the .202. The .202 has changed a bit as now it doesnt have the same elevator authority that it used to, so be mindful of this, although its not as bad in the Folgore

I've only been flying the Serie 1 Veltro, but I think the C.205 is an extremely good fighter that trades some of the agility/horizontal ability for power and weight. This allows you to do more vertical maneuvers (like a high yo-yo) and dunk Spitfires who don't expect you to be so fast/retain as much energy. This thing dives like a freight train so you can really hit that loss of elevator authority thing fairly quickly, but you wont be outdiving Typhoons or Thunderbolts. I guess the Serie 3 Veltro with the cannons would be good, but it just makes the thing heavier so again you wont be as agile.

I haven't flown the regular G.55, but the G.55S is a cool plane which is like a faster again Veltro with less compression problems, although I haven't used vertical loops as much (as most planes at this tier are pretty powerful. The 3x cannons are fine and honestly its basically comparable to every other plane at it's level. It overheats faster than a pot of pasta on the boil but it performs pretty great normally.

I haven't flown the 205N or anything else, so :shrug:

Attackers

I guess the Ba.65 is good because it's reserve, but the Ba.88 is pretty situational (slow and undergunned) and neither plane has any armour. I like the Ba.88 as a comedy plane, it looks sweet as gently caress but don't be fooled, its very vulnerable.

Bombers

The Br.20 is good, but the Sm.79s suffer from extremely high br relative to their performance/bombload. As a joke, you can get 3.0 Sm.79s which are not as well armed as the 1.7 one. The Z.1007s are actually okay but the lack of armour sucks, the .50s don't have the same hit as the US ones so you will constantly find yourself outshot and all your gunners dead. The P.108s might be better but probably not.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Azran posted:

The 205 serie 3 doesn't feel like a brick, unlike the 202EC. I liked it so much that I ended up putting a talisman on it.

Thats excellent. I figured that the 3 series wouldn't be so bad because the better engine, but the 202EC really loses out in my opinion.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I know that the SM.79 is a carry-over from the good ol' days of when 50kg bombs weren't flaming garbage but loving hell can we please have 100kg bombs like the Z.1007??? Having only 50kg bombs to start with is so unimaginable poo poo.

Imagine hitting 12 targets but killing none.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Feindfeuer posted:

So, what do you think is the best support fighter of the Italian tech tree?

Veltros unless you have a pilot which doesn't black out all the time.

I crash all the loving time because my pilot blacks out for 10 minutes after doing a loop

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Seriously if you want to compare, the 205 Serie 3 is at 3.7, whereas at 4.0 you have the preseries G.55 which can actually pull up from a dive AND has 4x .50s and 1x cannon.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

All the armour that would normally shield your pilot from bullets has been repurposed to forge gigantic steel pots testicles moustaches

Recoome fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 29, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Jesus god, I only have the first 205 but this thing is amazing. It's like it's everything I dreamed the 205 would be (except it needs cannons). I'm stuck at 4.3 all the time because of the huge swarms of G55s, but I never feel like anything's outflying it.

Honestly the first Veltro is the one I'm having the most fun with, purely because it's fairly bonkers and low enough to be able to not have to rely on diving on everyone all the time.

I'm really enjoying the Sottoserie 0 though, the armament 100% in the nose is brilliant for deflection shooting. It's basically a perfect mix between a Spitfire, Bf109, and Fw190.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Tanks are bad though

Imagine having to research the propeller or something for planes likebyou have to research FPE and Parts

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Jesus christ those changes are horrible

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The P.108B Serie 1 is a good bomber and people are really averse to attacking it for me reason.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The P-36/P-40s are really bonkers right now and are probably the thing I hate fighting against when I fly italians.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The G.50 used to be good when it was a rarely seen aircraft but I guess everyone is way more clued into Italians these days.

Also there's no real point to the C.200s when the C.202 is at 2.3

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think the G.50 Serie 7 is actually good but you should be extremely close before opening fire

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It was ok way back in the day but I haven't used it in ages

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The C.200 is still not bad if flown correctly

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I really want to know what dude in the Soviet Union was like 'Our jets? We should equip them with as little ammunition as possible and also make the 23mms really low velocity.'

They were bomber interceptors initially, so I guess it makes sense kinda (much like the MK103s on the 262).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think that the Italian Bf109G is a very distinct side-grade compared to the comparable Fiats. I guess I wasn't really a 109 tru-believer, even when I played Germans so losing the performance of the Fiats and having to unlock bolt-on guns is just eh.

Maybe I do Messerschmitts wrong, but the Centauros are pretty much better in every way that counts

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

BBJoey posted:

if you're using gun pods you're flying 109s insanely wrong and should have a long hard think about what you've done

I haven't got gun pods for it yet, but :agreed:

GrossMurpel posted:

So how are Italian planes overall? This is probably just confirmation bias from me being terrible at the game, but I feel like those drat G55Ss outperform everything they fight in every way.

A Spitfire will still outturn the G.55, and a the P-47/51 still has better high-alt performance, but the G.55 is still extremely good and I don't think the allied teams are quite used to fighting them

The other italian planes are extremely solid, although I tend not to rate the C.202 EC cause the extra guns make you fat

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Psycho Society posted:

I almost use the gun pods on the 109 since they turn 2 or 3 passes into just 1. I assume if you're a cyberace you don't need this because you have terminator aim anyway

Way back when I used to use gunpods on the 109 because i was pretty used to the 190 and I would open fire from ages away. Since I developed my love of Italians, I open fire a lot closer now so the lack of gunpods doesnt really impact me anymore. I also usually prefer having better performance over fuckloads of guns.

Sard posted:

In most situations it'll outrun it too. The amount of whining about the G.55S is astonishing considering the Spitfire F IX stomps it so hard.

The first G.55 is actually also quite good and doesn't seem to cop so much heat. I also believe the Serie 1 is 4.3 and it has the same cannon set up but with extra MGs, so its all pretty equivalent.

I really wonder about the 205N2, all it does is seem to not compress at higher speeds and also have the same gun layout as the Serie 1 G.55.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I am surprised anyone could hop into a 109 and be like "mmm yess THIS aircraft was meant to go fast in a dive"

I don't think the later ones are really that agile either. It's imho a second-tier choice when you can use the 205 which is basically what the 109 wishes it could be

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Psycho Society posted:

Don't energy fighters use bnz? Either way the only 190s I've used have terrible climb rate and bnz isn't much use if you're always below the person you want to attack

Sorry but 190s are extremely cool and good and the ultimate support fighter

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Nose spirals are insanely cool

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah wow looks like it doesn't compress as much now

205s are now extremely good

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I really feel like the Germans are the US of the bad dudes, as they seem to be taking an unusual flavour of trying to turnfight in 109s/190s or just dying really rapidly in a dogfight

also apparently the 202 was able to outturn spitfires, but I guess we'll never see that?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I kinda feel like, in general, if you're one on one with a spit at equal altitude and the spit pilot isn't a drooling idiot (big if) you're in serious poo poo.

Yeah planes which are "die if you meet in equal situations" generally include Spits and P-36s, which are amazing stuntplanes

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

yeah wow poor Germany looks like they'll just have to be more careful (like every other tank nation)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

So I've learnt that P-40s also can outturn basically everything it faces bar biplanes.

I was in the C.202 and probably victim to the most brutal reversal I've ever experienced, where a P-40 dumps landing flaps at high speed and does what the Corsair used to do, which is just turn like crazy. Like the P-40 was at a complete disadvantage and one turn and he's behind me.

I'm adding the P-40 to the shitlist of "will not engage unless pilot is already tied up" because that was hosed

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Its probably the first time I've ever looked at a replay to see what happened

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Nah it's the regular 202. The approach wasn't that much faster, it was just that he was pretty in front of me, and then he was behind.

Honestly the 202 isn't an extremely turny fighter anyway, things like P-400s and poo poo will basically outturn it anyway (in my experience just now)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Maybe P-40s changed recently because it looks like everyone who flies them got the memo about the turning thing, there is no way in hell you are outturning a P-40E in an C.202

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Rorac posted:

You wern't in Jingles' latest video by any chance, were you?

It was basically a P-40 clowning the gently caress out of everything.

Nah I wasn't

I also flew the P-40 and got 5 kills in RB and it's the first time I've flown it in ages. It's insanely good and easy to kill everyone so I wonder if it'll stay 2.3

Psycho Society posted:

Most of the energy fighters I've played can adjust their point of aim quickly, so the 202 feels very awkward. Compared to a 109 it seems like it's very easy to lose a shot on a target because they veered just a few degrees off angle.

I thought I was crazy, but I found this aswell. The 205 seems to be a more stable shooting platform so I don't have the same problem as I do in the 202

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm getting the distinct impression that tanks are poo poo

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Your pennant is backwards NERD

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

DOn't play tanks

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

If you are overdosing on Italians, the US planes are extremely good at the moment and the P-47 is basically the undisputed king of whatever tiers they sit at.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It doesn't really matter either way because 99% of max tier tank games are just die in one hit or something. You should fly planes instead.

If I had to think about it, my brother really enjoys his Sheridan because it doesn't matter what armour you have because everything can basically penetrate every other tank so its about mobility + accuracy. I have the M60 and it's like a high tier Sherman with a good gun, but it suffers from lack of stabilizers + its very large. Avoid the Heavy line because it sucks, lmao.

The Starship looks like it'd be good if you had to play tanks, but it's going to be a slower, fatter Sheridan so :shrug:

Fly planes, honestly.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The Brit armoured cars are great right now as you can murder Pumas with the AC Mk II. The T17E2 has always been an amazingly fun vehicle and I don't think Armoured Cars get enough rap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Aircraft I've been wrong about: C.205N2

It's actually a great plane and feels pretty competitive at 4.7. I'd rate it better than the 109 that follows it, which is a positively sluggish fighter which doesn't do anything particularly well AND has the stock 2x MGs 1x MG151. In contrast, the Orione has 2x MGs AND 3x 20mm with regular performance, whereas the 109 has degraded performance when you add the gunpods.

I really am trying to make the italian 109 work but I'm probably garbane at 109s AND its just not amazing at 5.0