Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I think I met the most persistent player in the entire game. Payed off for him in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Alchenar posted:

Go back in time and play the T34 back when the most dangerous thing it could face was a PZIVe or Stug III.

FUUUUUUCKKKK! I remember bouncing heat rounds (WTF) off the front of them at a decent range so that the arc pretty much meant they were hitting square against the front hull. Also bouncing the PZF2's APHE rounds off the front was pretty much 50-50 before the change. Now I consider them an easy foe as anything that pens the front usually kills the entire crew. My new nemesis is the KV-1's tracks, which seem to be 4 times thicker than they are rendered and have a really nasty tendency of stopping 1/2 of my side shots.

Was just looking over the German tank tree, and I am legit surprised that they have still not added the Elephant as a second option to the Ferdinand or as a pay-to-win vehicle. Slap a hull MG, a cupola (possibly another MG on it), some zimmerit and call it a day. One of the devs could have probably done that in an afternoon. Seems strange that the German tree has two "blueprint" tigers and a Panther II, but are still missing a few vehicles that actually existed.

Sturmtiger :getin:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ I find the Stugs are really good at bouncing/absorbing frontal shots as well. All of those juts and right angles can be frustrating at times.

Jack Forge posted:

I bounced a T25 90 mm shot round off the front of a 34-85 at 800m he was also on a lower hill. Hit him nearly square. Second round one shot him but he counter shot as well. :argh:

I got curious about the KV-1's tracks, and went into test drive with the Gepard (the WWII one) and the T-34's tracks are dead on, but I think since the KV-1's tracks have more slack and hang lower, they rendered them 2-3 times thicker, so they're more likely to block shots that you're trying to drive into the hull.

Personally, my biggest gripe with the T-34 now (Not the 80) is that shots that should be passing clear through the turret front (Pz IV F2) just get absorbed, and rounds that should be breaking the breech do nothing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'm just glad that I made it up the German tank tree before the onslaught of T-44/54s. and the IS-3/4s. It was hard enough when the worst thing you had to fight in a Panther/Tiger I was an IS-2, but those two tanks seem to be nearly impervious from the front, given their awesome hulls and turrets made out of bouncium. Then again the soviets pretty much went from IS-2 -> "Not penning this from the front" so it's not really War Thunder's fault.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mazz posted:

The T-44 was never much of a problem, you can pen the turret much like any of the 34s before it if you hit the flat-ish middle part of the mantlet, just like shooting at Panthers. A good shot there kills all 3 dudes in the turret too so they just died a lot.

It never seems to work out that way in RB for me. I'm pretty good at hitting weak spots (usually going for lower hulls, barrels or cupolas) but I swear the T-44 is my Achilles heel. I'll practice at a bunch of different ranges and positions in Test Drive and do great, but even a stationary (maybe even oblivious) T-44 in battle seems to always cheat me with weird "shell absorptions".

I absolutely hated slogging up through the late PZ IV's and running into IS-1 and IS-2s, on a regular basis, and nearly quit the game when I hopped in my first Panther (and anticipating being able to finally pen those pesky monsters) and instantly everything turned into IS-3's. (never got my chance to seal club)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
If your APHE option (assuming you have it) can reliably pen most of your opponents, go with it. I don't know how many times I've taken an APCR round and still managed to one-shot their tank because they only killed the one crewmember unlucky enough to be directly in its path.

Also I was just reported for cheating because I did a one in a million shot where I hit a Hurricane in RB at ~400m with a heat round from my Pz IV E. He was not amused and told me I was as good as banned.

It's pretty funny how many players think people are using hacks.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

hakimashou posted:

I quit playing 10.0 tanks altogether and you should too

I've tried to like it, but it just doesn't seem fun. Even 10.0 RB feels more like CS than a tank sim. I've been having the most fun sub-4.0, as I find that offers the biggest variety of potential enemies to face. 10.0 feels like the same 4 tanks forever locked in a twitchy-reflex speed-run match.

(also I absolutely suck at facing the Abrams, and 9 times out of 10 it will kill me even if I get the first shot)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just played the slimiest round of Kursk at 4.0. My strategy throughout the entire match was, "use teammates as spaced armour". Would recommend.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So apparently Novorossisk has some cheese window in the north spawn that lets you trap the other team in their spawn. Fun stuff.

It's (I think) that point of land that juts out into the bay. If you go out there you're pretty exposed yourself, but you can hit some people who spawn there. Happened when I was playing once and he got 2 guys before getting nailed himself. Italy has a point in the Northeast where you can hit the southwest spawn, but your shells probably have about 8 seconds travel time, so if you can hit someone from there, congrats!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Teal posted:

The aircraft models are currently pretty universally "if you get as much as glanced by someone's guns you're done for" but yeah that does make heavy fighters ever less viable than they used to be.

Sometimes it feels like you're taking points off of someone's "health bar" when shooting US or Russian planes. The Jug seems to be able to take ungodly amounts of 20mm stealth rounds to no effect.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Can you still "mail slot" tigers? That used to be my go-to move when facing them. I'd put a round through the driver's viewport, and that would put them out of commission long enough for me to get a side shot and finish them off. I have not been able to replicate that move for the longest time, it it used to work for me 8/10 times a year ago when I was playing against them fairly often.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mazz posted:

What are you driving? Almost everything at 5.3 or up can go through the flat front hull of a Tiger with no problems, in fact the way the drivers port is designed it is by far the worst part of the hull to shoot.

The first Jumbo with stock ammo.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Yup. I forget if it has 9mm extra penetration to get through the front hull or if its 1mm short.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Shanakin posted:

If you have to engage a tiger 1 with a US 75mm, then go for a side shot if at all possible.

A year or two ago this was the go-to option, but I find that players at this BR are a log more savvy and tigers almost never meet me head on, but angle a little, and are smart enough to stay back far enough that They get me with a tread or APCR shot which will easily pen me before I can get their flanks. My go-to move is to try and take out the driver or at least the transmission with a lower hull shot, but even then angling and players smart enough to get behind low cover are a lot more common. Another problem is that I find there is a 50-50 chance that I end up getting side-shot by one of the his teammates when trying to flank a tiger.

Mazz posted:

The tried-and-true method of killing German heavy tanks in something that can’t normally: Shoot the muzzle brake and then advance. If they try to back up shoot one track face (and then the other if needed).

This is another thing that I try to mixed results, but it still results in the same problem. I have to usually go around him to try and get a kill, resulting in me possibly getting side-shot. I guess there really isn't any "reliable" way to kill a tiger with the stock ammo from the front, so I'll just have to avoid them until I get APRC.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Alchenar posted:

Yeah the purpose of the 75mm jumbo is to go medium hunting. Stay away from heavy tanks.

Half the reason that I asked is that I'll find myself going somewhere, finding a tiger blocking the path, and then having to make the decision. . . "do I try and fight this tiger head on, or do I turn around and spend the next 10 minutes getting to the action?"

I find that Finland and White Rock Fortress are the worst maps to have this happen in, as one tiger can cost you upwards of 5 minutes of travel. I've had matches where I've turned around, and have never caught up with my front lines again and ended the game having seen one tiger and never having fired my gun.

Anyway, I just clubbed some Panzer IV's with a 300% RP bonus and am a glancing blow away from getting better ammo.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

spectralent posted:

The game seems to love Kursk lately. I feel like it was at least like 2/3 of my games for the last week.

Kursk used to be my, "I just got sniped by a bush 3km away map" but I've sort of got the hang of it and usually end the match with a 5:1 kdr. Also camo, cover, shade, and not using your MG or moving a lot (exhaust plumes) really helps to not advertise your position.

Fulda is still my Achilles heel.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Can you land a plane in RB and cap a point? I was really tempted during my last match in Kursk.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I've been getting a bunch of kills in the BF-110 with stealth belts and picking my moment to join in, but most of my "kills" have been non-counted assists. I find the 110's are really underrated in that enemy planes will follow you, knowing that they can eventually catch you, but they get so target fixated that one of your teammates jumps them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

YF-23 posted:

Gunners have a lovely range for auto-fire, something like 600m. If the enemy stays farther away from that they'll never fire, you have to switch to them and use them manually. Also, because gunners are usually on the back of your plane, they tend to experience negative G-forces when you turn which also disables them. As for your tail flying off, from what I've seen people say this is because the helicopters update affected plane damage models as well making plane fuselages a lot more fragile. So most of the time people won't even have to get within range of your autogunners to kill you; even when I fly what should be pretty rugged aircraft like the A-26 I usually have my tail blown off before I can get an accurate shot in. It sucks.

If true, this explains a lot. I took a year long hiatus from any type of flying (sticking mainly to ground forces) and when I started up again a few months ago it seemed like aircraft were made of glass.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Really like how they emphasize how loud non-penetrating hits are and the spalling was a nice touch.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Minenfeld! posted:

Does this mean I'll no longer have to slam my plane into the ground trying to land with the instructor on?

A guy whose entire lineup was a Marder, Marder, and Sturmpanzer made a point of messaging me personally in-game to tell me to pick on someone else. Seems he got pissed after I strafed all three of his vehicles to death (2-3 passes average). I told him that I didn't know it was him all three times, and that I know it's frustrating as I have had something similar happen to me. He replied with a "NP". I'm actually surprised how reasonable people are in this game if you don't just spam "get gud".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

chairface posted:

Sometimes the spark of anger is quickly extinguished... Sometimes we get chatlogs for the ages

Killed a guy 4 times in a row with the Flak 38 one time and he messaged me that I was hacking. We chatted back and forth a few times and I told him that he tried to rush me in (in a hull down position, in a stationary vehicle, with an insane rate of fire and penetration) in various Russian cardboard tanks (BT-series) and that he needs to at the very least try and get me with artillery, or just take a different route. I asked him what he would do if I kept rushing him and getting killed, and he admitted that he'd kill me and probably laugh at me doing the same thing every time and expecting a different result.

Whenever I can't reason with someone and they are positive I am hacking, I ask them to look at the replay and determine how I was cheating. Never got a reply after that.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hipster Occultist posted:

I'm bit behind the times, what where these changes to the penetration mechanics? There's a lot of bitching out there, but nobody is really saying what about the changes is bad and why.

I think there was a big change a while ago where they started to switch from Wartime/Post War penetration data to a strictly mathematical formula (since some of the pen data was either really optimistic, or outright proven wrong). And before (?) that they redid the bounce mechanics to get them working more in line with how they are now. For a while there you could APCR to pen armour at pretty extreme angles, and now you're more likely to bounce.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ They're probably going to need a few weeks of gameplay before they even think about adjusting tanks that are curb-stomping at their BR or being stomped.

I must have mistaken people talking about it with another patch.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Teal posted:

We don't have non-penetration spalling, which knocked out many a vehicle IRL.

This is the kind of mechanic that would absolutely hit Germany the hardest considering their poo poo metal throughout the war. Apparently the Stugs and early Tiger I's were the only German AFVs that were even approaching what everyone else considered "good armour (metallurgical) characteristics". Some people think it was just a late war thing, but Soviet testers pre-war and during the early stages of Barbarossa (when they did manage to capture some German tanks) were absolutely shocked to find out how brittle and lovely the armour was on most tanks.

Late/Post war testing proved that the KT's front hull was nearly impenetrable by almost everything they used during the war, but it didn't matter that much when non-penning hits created massive amounts of internal spalling that would obliterate the driver/radioman, and remove the lower half of the gunner and loader, and take off the commander's legs below the knees (in reference to the types of guns it's facing in WT, not based on historical accounts).

Here is a picture showing how lovely the metal in the KT's armour was.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

wilderthanmild posted:

Know what sucks? Burning a big research booster and then getting put into an battle that's over half done.

Edit: apparently there is a setting to prevent this, but man, that wasted my daily reward :(

I wasted a Golden Eagle wager before I made an effort to find out how to disable that setting. I was playing RB with an Elefant, and started the game at a point where my team had already started the "spawn rape" portion of the game, and I didn't even get a chance to see an enemy unit until the game was over because the enemy ran out of vehicles.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mazz posted:

I lost interest in those skinner box style collecting games some time ago; for a while I would've agreed with you but frankly that's not at all why I still play War Thunder. I actually really enjoy the semi-realistic style of vehicle gameplay, and have since games as far back as realism mods for BF1942 like Forgotten Hope.

Forgotten Hope was my jam in the early 2000's.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Azran posted:

Added, thanks! I now need Tank info.

Sticking to Tier rather than BR because it's easier

German Tier I

+ Pz II/Flak Panzers have 20mm cannons that tear everything at this tier apart in seconds.
+ Vehicles generally have decent enough armour when angled
+ Most opponents can be taken out with a single heat shot (or 2-3 20mm) because the crew are packed together
+ Most of your tanks crew are spread out enough to survive being one-shotted
+ Pz IV E is a one-shot machine with its heat round, and can bounce a lot of rounds when angled.
+ AA line make excellent anti-tank platforms
+ Sturmpanzer's 150mm round can one-shot Abrams, and a near miss can kill most enemy vehicles
- Most tank's mobility is lacking against Russian/US peers

German Tier II

+ Mobility starts to catch up with other nations (they've slowed down)
+ Heat rounds are still very effective at this level
+ Long 75mm (Marder/Pz F2) is fast reloading, high velocity, decent explosive filler, and excellent pen
+ 88mm Truck can one-shot anything from any direction, and is surprisingly difficult to take out (big crew, spaced out, no armour)
+ Puma scout car can be lethal in the right hands
- Armour is woefully inadequate at this tier, and everything will pen it easily
- PZ III line is past its prime in every possible way, have to really pick frontal shots to take out most US/Russian tanks
- Smoke shells open up other opportunities on the battlefield
- AA truck is easy prey for tank and aircraft MG's
- Stug line have to be played very carefully as they are easily one-shotted

German Tier III

+ Tiger, Panther, and Jagdpanzer line enjoy excellent armour protection if used properly
+ Tiger, Panther, and Panzer IV/70 can one-shot most enemies
+ Nashorn/Emil/Dicker Max can one-shot nearly anything from any direction
+ Some of the best AA vehicles in the game, but ineffective against most tanks
+ Crew are still spaced out enough to survive many first-shots
- Pz IV line is past its prime, and needs to be played very smart to still be effective
- Open-topped AT guns are vulnerable to aircraft and have poor mobility
- German turrets feel like they are working in slow-motion at this point
- Enemy tank guns have caught up, and their range and penetration can be a real shock
- Enemy tank mobility is generally better, expect enemies to be ambushing closer to your spawns

German Tier IV

+ Long 88's (Tiger II, Panther II, Waffentrager, Elephant, and Jagdpather are still very effective against most enemies
+ Tiger II (H) is very good at bouncing rounds if used properly
+ - Waffentrager while slow and vulnerable to everything is lethal in a hull-down or camouflaged position
- Panther and Tiger II (P)'s mantlets are huge, easy to hit weakpoints
- Enemy guns now have enough explosive filler to one-shot you very regularly
- Tank killers (Elefant/Jagdpather) are easily disabled from the front
- Panther II is the only tank with decent mobility, everything else is considerably slower than most enemy equivalents
- Panther A/G/F are past their prime, generally have to think more about flanking than head on encounters

German Tier V

- Don't bother playing anything above Tier IV as it's turning into a first-shot twitch-fest. (IMO)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Another thing to remember for tanks (regardless of BR) is to be thinking about your next piece of cover. Be it a rock, ditch, building, destroyed hull, or a depression in the ground, you need to know the fastest way to get there so you spend the least amount of time exposed. Whenever you fire your gun you should be backing behind some manner of cover and not admiring your shot or waiting to reload. You've just alerted everyone nearby to your position, so their rounds will be arriving shortly.

Speaking of reloading, don't advance and expose yourself until you're finished reloading. If your tank is a high-caliber assault gun that needs 30 seconds or more, getting behind cover isn't enough. Get 30 seconds travel time behind cover so an observant enemy doesn't make a mad dash to get you before your next round is ready.

When going around corners have your turret pointed in anticipation. Don't wait for it to catch up after you've already exposed yourself. In some vehicles its better to have it facing forward and quickly whip your hull around a corner (like in city streets) so your gun is already pointing where you want it.

On some vehicles, gun elevation and depression is painfully slow. Make sure your barrel isn't pointed in the dirt or sky when you might need it. If you're about to crest a hill, have it pointed down ahead of time. Approaching a ridge? Have it pointed up before you find an enemy tank cresting it. Have limited depression? Avoid terrain that will prevent you from engaging enemies.

Most of all, know what is ahead of you. Look at the map for enemy contacts and to make sure your team is covering your flanks and rear. Peek around corners, look over obstacles, use those binoculars, they have a better zoom, a wider view, traverse faster, and won't give away your position like a spinning turret, exhaust smoke, or a revving engine. (Use headphones so you can better hear approaching enemies and better judge their position and range)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone notice a slight stutter or hiccup in the first 10 seconds of tank battles? I'm usually running ~150+ FPS, but in the last day I have noticed it. It's usually a 1 second pause and then my PC catches up. I'm on a really decent 300mbps connection, so I don't think that's it, and it's not unusual for me to have a web browser open with youtube paused while gaming.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just disintegrated a P-38 with my Me-410 and we were the only two people in the air, but I didn't get any credit. Bug or did he likely "J" out at the last second?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

mmkay posted:

Everyone knows one in a million shots work out 9 times out of 10, though.

I love the guys who put a fuel can or a sign over the MG port, but they put the decoration as close to the center of the hull as possible, while still covering the MG port. Players versing it always shoot for the middle of the decoration, and miss the MG port entirely. It's not until they see the hit camera that they realize they need to aim more to the left, but by that time it's usually too late. I love playing the tiger e with the APCR round. The jumbos assume that they can just waltz up to me and make their shots count, but you can almost see the panic when that first round takes out their gunner and commander.

Also, when do you think they are going to fix this little mistake? I saw an R3 scoot up there and thought, maybe my Panzer IV can do it (it can). You can dominate ~75% of the map from the safety of cover and kill people coming out of both spawns, trying to take B point, A point, and even guys who think they'll try sniping from that crack in the rocks just below the round pillbox that overlooks A.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

As awesome as that is, I think the horizontal deception is more effective, as people usually get that dead on, and it's the vertical that they are more likely to mess up.

This is the ultimate piss take.

I think this guy is going for performance anxiety to do the work.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 21, 2019

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

wilderthanmild posted:

Which is kinda ridiculous when you see the kind of damage b17's would routinely make it back home with.

It was pretty WTF the first time I knocked the entire back end off a Wellington with a 2 second burst of 20mm AP rounds. I assumed that there was another plane who had emptied some stealth rounds into it or possibly AA, but upon replay I was the only person who shot at the Wellington.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The French 7.0 lineup remains a lot of fun but it's horribly punishing if you have a bad game and lose 30 or 40k just like that

Wait! People actually worry/care about Lions? Is it weird to be sitting on +50 million? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I should be using them for besides training crew, buying vehicles, and changing daily tasks?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Ah probably the wonky layer. I could see the top of his cupola when he shot.

I have this happen quite a bit on maps with lots of hills and wide open spaces. Mozdok is a good example where you can have a 800m distance between you and the enemy, you can just barely see his cupola above a rise that is right between you (400m from you and him). I usually range his cupola, drop my aim a few pixels, and then fire. Even with a really flat round there is significant drop, and that seemingly straight shot slams into the front of his hull.

Also, shooting cupolas with larger rounds that have lots of HE in them is always a good strategy. When fighting tigers or IS-1s or 2s up close, I always hit the cupola and that's usually enough to kill them outright or at the very least kill everyone in the turret and allow me a chance to flank or go for a lower hull shot.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Thief posted:

sherman players always think they're that guy in BoB that just casually stands there holding the trigger down

Nothing I love more than sneaking up on a Sherman who is so target fixated on whatever he is firing his MG at that he doesn't notice me. I don't know how many times a Sherman has totally given up his position because he can't lay off his MG for more than 30 seconds, which is doubly stupid given they come standard with the best colour for blending in to bushes and trees.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Feindfeuer posted:

I tried that, but it somehow also removed the navigational tracers that showed me where I was going. Bad advice.

:perfect:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone noticing the increased probability of "one-shotting" enemy tanks through the front of the turret with the PZ IV's long 75? Seems a month ago I would just kill the turret crew, but now the entire crew seems to be getting killed in T-34s, KV-1x, Shermans, Cromwells, even the occasional Churchill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just got called out for my flagrant cheating. Apparently the Puma can't pen the front of a KV-1, and certainly not one-shot it through the vertical frontal hull plate.