Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

air dominance mode in arcade owns and i don't care what y'all think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

had my first twenty-kill game in AB, double the score of the other team's #1

cleaning up with the 1.7 mig and zhukovsky is all i really want out of this game. i can't get a hang of anything beyond the 3.7 german 109 and i've researched all six factions into the 3's and 4's

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

What about RB? While I love my low-BR fighter games, in RB I prefer long bomber games. In anything beyond 2.3BR, it's hard to get a bomber to live through one payload run, and I always seem to get scoped if I climb in circles instead of heading immediately toward a target.

Also bombing units in RB sucks, how do I get more accurate with things that are moving?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I love the 20mm on that plane. It's hilarious. Blow off a bomber's wing, who cares

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

boats are way more fun than expected, but leveling the brits is a slog, even through the 1.7's. when do they get good? i HATE small-caliber machine guns, they don't do anything

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gently caress. thank you. legitimately, thank you for saving me time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Getting past the fairmile a's potato gin is the hard part. I can't even improve it!

I do prefer manning the big guns and letting the ai swat away planes. American 2.0 and 2.3 are great and I'm loving the German boot-130 that's rated at 1.7, it's extremely op

edit gun, but it's an extremely british typo so I'm leaving it

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 8, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Unoriginality posted:

The Brits may get better, but they never get good enough to justify the investment. They've solidly got the third best lineup for almost every BR/type.

This doesn't sound so bad until you remember only four countries have ships.

empire of the sea my rear end. who's considered worst? my least researched faction has been the ussr and i cannot wait to get the BMO. i've snuck up on several and they just slowly turn around and blast me to bits.

since i'm researching all the tiers i'll likely never go beyond 4.0 in any of them

edit oh yeah, early-game russian boats may seem overpowered to me because of my crew level 31 zhukovsky. i can clear the whole sky in a few minutes in that thing, and then have open waters for my boats and others to win the match

zipping around in the g5 is hilarious, i've even gotten a couple ram kills

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 8, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Danann posted:

Germany has battle barges and s-boats but only the battle barges are durable enough to withstand medium caliber autocannon fire.

i got my first kill on an aa barge this morning. they've killed me nine times out of ten even if i surprise and unload on them

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

should i bother with the warbond shop? i guess i have a few thousand gaijinbucks that have been piling up for five years but the shop tiers i have access to don't have anything good

thank y'all for the disassembly event youtube btw

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i guess i can buy backups. i'm certainly not going to go after trophies. lol at the prices of the boosters, that's robbery

getting this stupid red plane is gonna take a long time, hachi machi

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Assembling the plane isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be as if a section isn't damaged you don't have to disassemble it, and you can get random drops of undamaged sections. I just got a random drop of an undamaged weapon system which is 1/5 or so of an entire plane.

i've never been a lootbox person and this is the first time in my life having to give a poo poo about what's in there. i was surprised at the first place extra lootbox since it seemed really good (in my mind i was giving all the options an equal chance to be true) but nope lol. i think seven lootboxes total, 8 mechanic parts.

last night i broke down and actually tried to put money on my account. instead of a credit card, they want me to go to a seven-eleven and show my phone to the clerk. cleared that delusion up super fast

edit my lootbox grind right now is the lowest i possibly can, 1.7BR with my mig-3-15 and my zhukovsky, maybe a bb1 if i need it. if i play at higher tiers i most likely wouldn't get first place very often at all, but do the lootbox drop rates get better since the games last longer?

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 14, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the mig-3-15 is a low-BR tier II plane. i'm getting boxes, but after now 9 boxes open i have 10 parts, all 1x and one 2x drop.

so if i did some giant 30 minute RB game i'd get three boxes at least?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

so if i did some giant 30 minute RB game i'd get three boxes at least?

it's true! that helps, at least. i don't feel as rushed in a game, but at 1.7 i always gotta throw myself into the ball

edit: vv cool, thanks. what constitutes battle activity? it can be pretty low if i'm in a bomber in RB and need to get up and around people

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 14, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nickiepoo posted:

I mean, 'game-as-service' runs event designed to get users to interface with its monetization systems isn't exactly a spicy-hot take so much as 'loving expected duh'.

yeah it's blindingly obvious what's going on, which makes it worse. trying to earn the red plane isn't even fun, and actually makes me want to play less because i'll be pressured to shoot for first place. at least immerse me in the experience, idiots. they'd probably earn more money that way

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god i did it

i have a red plane

never again

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

oh my god i did it

i have a red plane

never again

i bought the boat instead lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TIME TO YAMAMOTO SOME YANKEE DOGS

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

50,000 golden lion mecha

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

been playing this game for six years and finally got the 500 realistic battle kills achievement

still an entire tier of planes to chew through across four factions until i get a jet. maybe i should finally pick one

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

started a new bf109 4.7 plane, popped a huge boost and just did wide, low arcs around the fringes of the map. ended up with sixteen ai kills and finished out the whole mod set in one game except for rockets and upgraded 7mm

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dialhforhero posted:

What BR? If it is on sim that is pretty normal. Sim, and especially sim with research boosts, is basically spade making mode imo. Even if you aren’t that good.

For me in the air I can’t go back to anything but sim mode, but that’s also probably because I use a whole flight stick/pedal setup with trackIR.

I would like to try tank sim once I unlock the necessary tanks.

i'm so bad at sim. it'd be cool to learn but the controls in biplanes just seem so sensitive

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nah i'm on a pretty twitchy mouse. i play arcade in my zhukovsky i153 and have a 50/50 shot of high score. it's like skeet shooting

i'm splitting my time between mid-tier RB planes and mid-tier AB boats. yay italy!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mllaneza posted:

The Italian boats are in ! Their Reserve boat has useful firepower ! It can actually sink boats ! Its 20mm is a little more accurate than the IJN Reserve boat, and does real damage when you get hits. It has a tiny clip though, but at least the reload is quick.

it's fun and real fast, like a little beefier g5. great start to the tree. my win rate on italy is super high and that's how i'm funding my research; instead of direct kills i'll use the reserve boat to cap the far points. i can cap point A or C on an end of a map and tie up 2-3 boats, popping smoke and using my conveniently rear-mounted gun to warn people off. this and the special g5 with the 20mm are the only good 1.0 boats

i got up to the boats that start to have double those 20mm guns and they actually wreck, even at ~1.6km. excited to see more

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dialhforhero posted:

The T.16000m combo setup is often like $160.

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no no y'all it just takes two days' pay to effectively contest this section of the pay-to-win game

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I suck at airplanes in War Thunder, but also USSR planes just seem to be the worst of the nations? I get completely wiped out against American, British, and German planes especially, these three nations seem to have planes that are just far and away superior in every single way to USSR. I am already very deep into the USSR plane tree, tier 5 and 6 for the fighters. Did I make a bad choice?

ussr seems to be for people with really good aim. small guns but center-mounted, boom and zoom 100kmph faster than your opponent

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just lost a realistic battle 4.7 by climbing. by the time i got to 4k meters, most of my team was dead and an a36 ended up with 30 ground kills

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 15, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's a disadvantage in rb but sniping in ab is so fun in russian speeders. that 1.7 interceptor is maybe my favorite plane in the game for ab

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

4.0 BR, 1.0 shvak

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gently caress the scoring system btw, caps should be worth 5x what they are now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

was in a ~2.7 naval arcade match when i noticed the last spawn point was far out so i just dove into my italian 1.0 to speed out to it, but i spawned right behind an SF40 Leichte as my squadmate and rammed its rear end. i noticed we maintained 49kmph so i stuck with him. i could never aim my gun or fire my torpedoes but we went past the midpoint of the map and he cleaned up. a bomber took us both out once we were at the opposing spawn but lmfao by then it's too late

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i wish i had been on voice comms because that match was the most fun i've had in awhile

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've got the whole assault map halfway cleared, am i halfway to the 1.0 tank? how far am i from the 4.7 boat? i've never tried to actually go after an event like this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hegel Exercises posted:

how to the gently caress do you not waste your time in ARB with stock planes? i'm at the point where i need to do them to advance and battle mode in this garbage loving game is the loving worst. love to spend 30 minutes of my time for 200 xp. really gonna take a while to unlock the poo poo you need for the plane not to be a piece of poo poo :allears:

i hate this loving game

e: its apparently strafing poo poo :sigh:

why can't they do the same thing with air that the did with ground with spawn point?

YF-23 posted:

By far the easiest way to grind planes is to kill other players in air realistic. Nothing complicated about it.

when i have a brand new jank-rear end plane and i'm not confident i can kill another player, i'll stay at ground level and do a giant arc around to the enemy ground unit line and snipe AAA, usually worth 1-2 modifications per match

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uninstalling war thunder for falconeer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i got my friend into the game last week and he loves it. last night i explained BR and we then spent the next three hours in arcade 2.0 just annihilating poo poo with downtiered spitfires. i feel like i've committed a war crime

edit lol i didn't notice but i got the air-to-air achievement in that time (get "hero of the sky" ten times)

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 14, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bob Mundon posted:

After a long hiatus finally got a new computer, the new trees are pretty overwhelming. Coming from the era where tanks and ships were pretty much brand new.

I don't have a ton of time to out into it so not gonna be grinding any trees seriously, what are some fun early/mid routes to take for tanks and ships? Helos any fun?

Also, is the F80 any better than it used to be? The thought of getting to the F86 is fun, but I seriously don't miss getting shredded by meteors nonstop.

i had a blast leveling up the italian ships from the beginning, but it really depends on style. the russian 1.0 boat is loving hilarious and you'll see it through 3.7 matches

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A friend and I racked up some wins last night and I got the warning about "if you had premium you'd get this many lions!" so after seven years I finally bit the bullet and bought a month of premium, thinking I'd get the rewards for that day. Was this a bait-and-switch? My lions didn't go up at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what happened with boats why are boats different

can i get all blue-water matches and vice-versa?

Xerxes17 posted:

You have to buy the premium from that prompt to get it.

i knew it! ugh