Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I've picked this game up after a 4 year absence and it's been very challenging breaking the bad habits instilled by WoT. That said , what the hell are you supposed to do if you spawn on the south side of Kursk? I just watched my team get its poo poo pushed in and I honestly don't even know what they could have done differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The H.35 and FCM 36 and one of the Japanese tanks (the Go Ko, I think) are being removed.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The APHE round for the French 37mm has a 25mm fuse, the round has 13mm of penetration.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

You might be able to address that with map redesigns, but aren't there huge swaths of BR where there aren't any Infantry vehicles at all?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Teal posted:

IS-3, 4 and 8 (aka T-10, the modernization of which we have in the game) have all been mass produced with hundreds to thousands of pieces each. The first two were not very popular or successful and it was part of the reason why Soviets eventually decided the whole heavy tank concept is wack when their T-54s were just about as good at anything when bit of effort was put into the ammo, at fraction of the cost and weight.

The IS-4 is very much a different beast from the 3/8 (T-10) and is in all actuality just an upgraded IS-2.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

PinheadSlim posted:

Not Ground RB, I was talking about air RB, which as far as I'm aware doesn't allow any respawns.

As I recall you get 1 respawn in the same plane.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

AB for planes, sure. But Ground Forces AB is terrible.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

If you convert a 3 inch naval gun to metric, it's 76.2mm. That's part of why 75/76 was such a popular caliber. Often when you saw a certain caliber get really widespread adoption it would be due to a specific gun being licensed out. I think that was the case with 37mm, a lot of people licensed an, I believe, French 37mm gun.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

It's actually more than 2.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

You can grab 180 days for $20 right now, if anyone's looking to do that.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I tried Air RB, I'm really loving bad at planes. No matter what I do, I just kind of wallow around helplessly and then die. Which is confusing because I used to play flight sims all the time and I was never this bad. I do a bit better in RB with my A-36 than my XP-38G though, so maybe the P-38 just doesn't suit me.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I've been having an issue in Sim mode where my M36 keeps blinking in and out of existence

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

No Sherman on the Swedish tree last I checked, otherwise everyone else has them.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Solumin posted:

The StuG was historically a very good tank, too, right?

It was Germany's most effective AFV of the war.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That thing's looking suspiciously like an AMX-50 except it's not as good.

It's lighter and has more armor, how is it "not as good"?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It’s supposedly only got a 105mm gun.

The 105 was one of three options considered.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The T-34 is a good tank, especially at that BR. Out of curiosity though, where do you typically try shooting them?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Madurai posted:

The 76 will do it pretty reliably from under 1000m, even with the APHE.

Yeah, the APCBC (M61, I think?) shell will go through the upper front plate of a Tiger pretty reliably at close range. So long as they're not too angled. (A rare problem) The trick is to resist the urge to shoot at the MG or driver's port. Shoot the flat, smooth surface between them.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I'd almost rather have the Su-15 just because nobody ever does the Flagon.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, that's how SARH missiles (not just early ones) function. You have to lock the target and then maintain the lock for the missile to guide on. I would assume that's how they'll function in-game, otherwise how do they distinguish AMRAAMs when they add them?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

I know I complained about the R3, but the AS42 is incredible. Just went 15-0 on Eastern Europe. That thing is a monster at ambushing.

The open top AA car with 360 traverse? That thing's a beast once you unlock the HVAP belt.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Basically none. Everything is sorta tankier because of the volumetric shells though.

Volumetric shells are definitely the biggest change. Some of its knock-on effects have been interesting. APC (Armor Piercing Capped) shells feel way more effective since volumetric.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, I've been dreaming of a game that's basically Armoured Commander but using War Thunders Sim Tank mode instead of top-down ASCII graphics.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

You mean the X-ray view that shows post-pen damage? I've got that and I've never run mods.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

You don't, EC is worthless for grinding helos.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

MrYenko posted:

IIRC the F gets a power traverse turret and the others do not.

iirc the F gets an electric traverse, the D had a hand-cranked turret and the A/G the turret traverse was powered by the engine. So you had to rev the poo poo out of the engine to get it to turn quickly.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

They could fill out the rest of the Century-series. F-101, 102 and 106. Then you could get some carrier-based attack aircraft, the A-3, A-5 and A-6.

Comedy option (which would actually be cool af), B-58 Hustler.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Oh yeah, IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad. Even has this DLC. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1467120/IL2_Sturmovik_Tank_Crew__Clash_at_Prokhorovka/

Though I wouldn't buy it unless it's at least 50% off.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I still think the way to fix BR compression is to insert a new BR in middle of the current spread. So you'd be looking at something like this:

4.0 -> 4.3 -> 4.5 -> 4.7 -> 5.0

I think if you combine that with the idea somebody posted about tightening the BR spread for matches, you could really improve balance. Maybe instead of 0.7 though, make it 0.8. Then a 4.0 could see up to 4.7, a 4.5 up to 5.3 and a 4.7 up to 5.5.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Planes are the chariots of cowards, SPAA is the righteous hand of justice sweeping them from the skies. :c00lbert:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I'm pretty much the exact same way, I blame it on flying with a mouse being really loving weird. Also, 2/3 of the poo poo you need isn't even bound by default.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, you can unlock camo by hitting certain milestones or achievements.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The M36 is actually 5.3 now, somehow.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The ASU-85 is fine. Decently mobile, the HEAT-FS round is pretty effective, has scouting ability. It's not great, but it's definitely workable.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm debating giving in and paying whatever amount of money to have enough currency to buy the IS-3, BMP-1, T-54 (1949) etc for the 7.0+ BR; I just keep having games with my 6.3 to 6.7 vehicles where I just die without getting anyone while in 4.0 I can get 4-5 pretty easily. :(

This is not a good idea, btw. If you're struggling at 6.3-6.7, 7.0 is going to be worse. When I started getting up in that I found I had to learn a little patience and stop trying to lone wolf as much.

Born in Bexhill posted:

So i want to start researching tier 2 Swedish tanks but I can’t because I need to purchase one more tank at tier 1. The problem is that there is nothing left to buy except the premium tank that costs golden eagles and spending those isn’t something I want to. So am I stuck? Do I have to give gaijan money?

There's something you must have unlocked without buying, go through the research tree very carefully and double check. You shouldn't ever have to buy a premium to progress the tree like that.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 1, 2022

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Captain Stalin posted:

Any standouts for premium US ground around 8.0 for the coming sale?

T54E1, basically an M48 with a French style Oscillating turret and a drum magazine autoloader 105mm with HEAT-FS.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah in the M10s case the turret is for positioning purposes. Treat it like a casemate TD at closer ranges.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I usually don't bring nearly that many, but something I do that I think might be a good idea for others, I set Smoke as my default shell. That way I start with one loaded and I can punch 2 so that my primary damage dealing round loads after I fire it, when I don't need to keep flinging smoke that is.

On the Churchill Mk 1, once I got the smoke shell that's literally all I carry in the hull-mounted 76mm gun.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Pretty sure it's a 30 second timer before you can send another message, not a 30 second lag time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

On the F2 you should be using the default round, the PzGr 39. If you're using that round you really shouldn't have to lineup anything "perfectly". You should be one-shotting most of the stuff you face. Any chance you're getting unlucky and optics/hatches/etc are eating the rounds?