Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Renowned Explorers is utterly awesome and deserves all the love a game where your characters will die to being mocked by sheep can get.
Galak-Z is meh, it uses the procedurally generated thing as an excuse to not bother with level design. Generally a bad idea in a shmup-style game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Not The Robots looks like a pretty cool game. Could maybe do with some better-defined cones of vision but from what you showed it looked good, if not necessarily your style. Dramatically less silly than I'd thought from the description, but the overall concept of a stealth game where your objective is to destroy your cover is a good one.

I'm torn between voting for Renowned Explorers and FTL but since there's a clear winner here I'll throw a pity vote in for FTL to keep it real.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
FTL. Mostly because I actually wanna see somebody beat that thing.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Renowned Explorers because I haven't seen a lot of that past the trailers.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

I feel like Cryptark needed more in the story department. The backstory is straightforward enough, alien species loses their homeworld, looks for a new one from space arks, they don't make it, you're salvaging what remains (and eventually find a living specimen). It would be nice to know what was actually so special about them as to start off this shady government business. Maybe the game has more clues about them that I'm overlooking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBismcQPNY8

TLDR: that's pretty much it. Their homeworld was doomed because of a wandering sun, they put everything they had into building a fleet. Along the way, they extensively augmented themselves to deal with the strain of living in space. The fleshy bits died off long ago, but machines last for millions of years hence why you're fighting Gigeresque abominations.

There's a suggestion that the aliens developed mind control which is why the shady contractors care so much, but just as likely it's about getting into that sweet sweet alien technology.

I like the story. A game about shooting aliens that's supposed to be played through a couple times doesn't need tomes of lore. The Swindle had even less backstory but neither overstay their welcome which is what's important.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Renowned Explorers is a lot deeper than I originally thought, after seeing it played by people who actually know what they're doing.

I'd like to see it next, please.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Okay yeah, that definitely satisfies the need for more story. It's just the right amount - enough to slowly unveil the reason why you're there, but light enough to drive home that your character doesn't really care that much, and it's not an important part of the game.

Story can be a tricky thing to do right in Roguelites, and this style of slowly unveiling it over many runs can be the hardest to pull off, but Cryptark gives you just enough details to know what's going on. It's also not too dependent on playing the game over and over, since it looks like you get the basic setup of an exodus pretty early on. possibly as a compulsory part of campaign mode? Either way, it's turned around my opinion of the game's plot.
It's just a shame the mechanics don't seem to hit quite the level of depth they were hoping for. Or maybe it does, and Party Bug is just so good at the game that he didn't need to take out things like the factory systems to make the run easier, but it looks like the risks in knocking over more systems are probably not worth the reward in most cases.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I didn't expect the robots to have guns for some reason, I jumped a bit when the first one shot.

Did you try and save and quit a whole bunch of times without any progress? One of the tips said that you will face Theirry if you do.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Not the Robots could use some kind of visible cone of vision, I think.

I'm all for REIS.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Renowned Explorers is such a cool game and any more exposure on it is good. It's one of the only roguelikes I've played and there's something about it I just find addicting.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Will games without enough votes go back in the pool at some point? I can't choose because they're all good for different reasons.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Renowned Explorers is a cool fellow and I'd like to see more of it.

EDIT: Not the Robots seemed like a cool concept from the blurb we got but the implementation of it seemed mediocre? I think the idea of a stealth game where your goal is to take the things that let you stealth is sort of interesting, but this seems like it needs more variety or something to make it work.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 1, 2017

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Belatedly, Renowned Explorers will be the next game. I've played it a little bit before, this'll be a good excuse to dive back in and learn more things.

queserasera posted:

Will games without enough votes go back in the pool at some point? I can't choose because they're all good for different reasons.
Yep, all the old ones go back in the pool. We'll get to them all. Eventually.

NinetySevenA posted:

I didn't expect the robots to have guns for some reason, I jumped a bit when the first one shot.

Did you try and save and quit a whole bunch of times without any progress? One of the tips said that you will face Theirry if you do.
I've messed around with quitting a bunch of times in a row now, but no punishment yet. Maybe I'm not doing it quite right.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Spelunky

The 3 man spelunk. My guests are pretty quiet at times because they're bad people who don't understand how microphones work, sorry. There also might be some audio desynch near the end. What a poo poo show.

Also my throat is jacked up so the Renowned Explorers video will come next week.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A well-oiled machine, in perfect harmony...

Spelunky was pretty much the original roguelite, wasn't it? As in, a game that took the random generation/permadeath concepts and applied them to a game that wasn't turn-based dungeon crawling.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I'll be able to talk a bit about Renowed Explorers. I'm not 'good' like some YouTube people are, like I haven't even finished a game yet, but it's still a fun and unique roguelite.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Any chance we'll see sky rogue?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, somehow that was ever more chaotic and counterproductive than I thought it would be.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I like that the player ghosts can help just as effectively as they can hurt the living players. It wouldn't be Spelunky if friendly fire weren't just as lethal as being stupid by yourself is though!

e: Spectacles also let you see items hidden in blocks (not just treasure either, anything you could buy at a store can randomly show up in a block), much like the guaranteed item in the locked chest you kept seeing in the mine. The ability to see better in the dark levels is unique to the spectacles though. As for the 'hulk hands' they let you Spiderman up walls which makes them awesome for their price.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 8, 2017

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Renowned Explorers (1/?)

I have a good feeling about this run!

:siren: THREE GAMES ENTER ONE GAME LEAVES: :siren:

Caveblazers
Journey into a mysterious cave, fighting orcs and goblins with an abundance of weapons and magical items! Make friends along the way to aid your adventure, then watch in despair as they are crushed in to a bloody pulp under a troll's fist.

Dungeon Souls
ungeon Souls is an action-adventure roguelike dungeon crawler which draws heavy inspiration from Nuclear Throne, Risk of Rain, and Overture. Explore vast procedurally generated dungeons, collect loot, and slay hordes of challenging enemies!

Full Mojo Rampage
Full Mojo Rampage is a game that takes place within the confines of the Voodoo reality. In this realm only the most powerful rites and powers can provide a safeguard against evil. Dying is not the end, only the beginning to becoming a stronger voodoo soul!

Vote for the next one, ends on Sunday midnight MST, blah blah blah.

IAmTheRad posted:

I'll be able to talk a bit about Renowed Explorers. I'm not 'good' like some YouTube people are, like I haven't even finished a game yet, but it's still a fun and unique roguelite.
Oops this is what I get for not looking at my thread. I'm finishing the run up the current run in a few minutes, but feel free to post hot tips or things I missed.

Quicksilver6 posted:

Any chance we'll see sky rogue?
In theory I will play all of these games.

Tenebrais posted:

Spelunky was pretty much the original roguelite, wasn't it? As in, a game that took the random generation/permadeath concepts and applied them to a game that wasn't turn-based dungeon crawling.
I spent one minute googling this and it seems to be the case. Derek Yu was a good man.

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 12, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I vote Caveblazers so I can see what it's like to have friends.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Party Bug posted:

Renowned Explorers (1/?)

I have a good feeling about this run!

:siren: THREE GAMES ENTER ONE GAME LEAVES: :siren:

Caveblazers
Journey into a mysterious cave, fighting orcs and goblins with an abundance of weapons and magical items! Make friends along the way to aid your adventure, then watch in despair as they are crushed in to a bloody pulp under a troll's fist.

Dungeon Souls
ungeon Souls is an action-adventure roguelike dungeon crawler which draws heavy inspiration from Nuclear Throne, Risk of Rain, and Overture. Explore vast procedurally generated dungeons, collect loot, and slay hordes of challenging enemies!

Full Mojo Rampage
Full Mojo Rampage is a game that takes place within the confines of the Voodoo reality. In this realm only the most powerful rites and powers can provide a safeguard against evil. Dying is not the end, only the beginning to becoming a stronger voodoo soul!

Vote for the next one, ends on Sunday midnight MST, blah blah blah.

Oops this is what I get for not looking at my thread. I'm finishing the run up the current run in a few minutes, but feel free to post hot tips or things I missed.

In theory I will play all of these games.

I spent one minute googling this and it seems to be the case. Derek Yu was a good man.

Jan-Piet is a Dutch name and you mangled it up something awful. It's pronounced "Yan-Pete"

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Gonna vote for Dungeon Souls because I own it and I suck at it and I wanna see it played well.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Another vote for ungeon Souls, just because the typo tickles me.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I'm glad Renowned Explorers got shown off, because I don't think I'd seen it all before and it seems to check off a lot of my boxes. Definitely plan to pick it up next time it's on sale.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Party Bug posted:

So if you have beaten Shangri-La, let me know in the thread, because you're a madman.

'Sup.

(Actual non-Phalin-based-comedy option here.)

My advice to anyone watching at home - starve. Like a lot of the European-style board games it draws inspiration from, the game is all about snowballing efforts, so the more you can get at the beginning, the more you can get at the end. Explore every node on the first map, explore as many as you feel safe on the rest, keep an eye out for any 0-point connections (free travel as long as you're not already starving), and try your best to leave supply nodes until you need them.

I'm actually surprised to see you playing without More to Explore - I legit thought that was just bundled in at this point with how much it changes. It would certainly explain why you said Friendly's for cowards - that kind of comment can only come from someone who has not seen the wrath of Ivan the Terribly-good-at-hugging-people. Emperor's Challenge is less crucial, IMO; it does add a lot of neat stuff (including new characters), but some of it is....questionably balanced (see above highscore).

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Renowned Explorers looks really cool and I hope you do a bunch more videos.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Peachfart posted:

Renowned Explorers looks really cool and I hope you do a bunch more videos.

This. Please.

Also I've noticed an odd trend with things you do videos on getting discounted on steam the next week. Probably just coincidence, but the sale being a coincidence wouldn't save us less money on the game. :v:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Renowned Explorers is a great game. I especially like how it ties non-violent options into a very satisfying combat system. You can hug or insult enemies off the battlefield! Sublime.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This is one of those games which kinda cracks wide open once you get used to it and start discovering how things synergize. In the beginning you struggle to complete a full game at all, then you struggle to beat Shangri-La, then you struggle to get high scores, and after that it's all about the goals you set for yourself.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Personally, I feel like roguelites suffer when they run too long and you can't reasonably complete a run with one play session. The genre is all about mastery, and throwing many attempts at the wall until you start to succeed, but when a run takes several hours it can discourage that. I've played this game once and made the mistake of picking Shangri-La as my final expedition, so naturally I died - and then thought do I really want to invest the time to go through all that again and maybe do a bit better this time now I understand what all the initial character bonuses mean?

I might just do that now, but at the time it didn't seem worth it. Which is a shame, as the game's pretty fun and the combat mechanics have intricate depth to them - you've got a basic elemental triangle with the three attack types, which in aggregate create an encounter mood that grant further bonuses and penalties, with all the speech attacks also giving emotions that provide bonuses and penalties, with those emotions having their own weaknesses and resistances on top of the usual character stats, and more... there's a lot of moving parts, but the game doesn't demand mastery for you to succeed to a basic degree, which I appreciate. Especially with how much of an investment you need to master it.

I vote Full Mojo Rampage. Haven't played any of those games; it sounds like the most interesting setting.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Tenebrais posted:

Personally, I feel like roguelites suffer when they run too long and you can't reasonably complete a run with one play session...
I tend to agree. It's hard to determine a sweet spot, but generally 30 minutes to an hour for a complete run is what I think works best. Renowned Explorers goes over time, but I'm willing to forgive it because it's pretty good. And when you play it enough you can just mash through all the events because you'll know them by heart.

Felinoid posted:

Also I've noticed an odd trend with things you do videos on getting discounted on steam the next week. Probably just coincidence, but the sale being a coincidence wouldn't save us less money on the game. :v:
I'm gaben.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Full Mojo Rampage sounds neat.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd really suggest getting More to Explore; it adds an easier* final adventure (because yes, Shangri-La is bullshit, I think I've beaten it a grand total of two times) and gives you new tools in revamped treasure mechanics and campfire stories.

*Caveat explorer: may contain bar-none-the-hardest fight in the game. Not necessary to do it, though.

e: I'd like to see Dungeon Souls because the name always turned me off it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 13, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm all for Caveblazers.

I like the resource system they've got going on here, too. So many things to collect and spend.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nick Buntline posted:

'Sup.

(Actual non-Phalin-based-comedy option here.)

My advice to anyone watching at home - starve. Like a lot of the European-style board games it draws inspiration from, the game is all about snowballing efforts, so the more you can get at the beginning, the more you can get at the end. Explore every node on the first map, explore as many as you feel safe on the rest, keep an eye out for any 0-point connections (free travel as long as you're not already starving), and try your best to leave supply nodes until you need them.

I'm actually surprised to see you playing without More to Explore - I legit thought that was just bundled in at this point with how much it changes. It would certainly explain why you said Friendly's for cowards - that kind of comment can only come from someone who has not seen the wrath of Ivan the Terribly-good-at-hugging-people. Emperor's Challenge is less crucial, IMO; it does add a lot of neat stuff (including new characters), but some of it is....questionably balanced (see above highscore).

Wait, what? What's special about Phailin?

My unspeakably ridiculous playthroughs have generally been based around Anna-Earl-Dolores? because Anna and Earl have amazing toolboxes and Anna has a completely disgusting captain power.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 14, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Wait, what? What's special about Phailin?

My unspeakably ridiculous playthroughs have generally been based around Anna-Earl-Dolores? because Anna and Earl have amazing toolboxes and Anna has a completely disgusting captain power.

Her renown from treasures increases every time you get a secret. It's possible to get absurd secret generation, such that a single treasure can be worth 5000 renown

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Next one is Dungeon Souls!

Also here's another :siren: Renowned Explorers (2/3) :siren:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Wouldn't mind seeing some more renowned explorers after this Sisyphus LP that you've undertaken is over :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I reckon if you fail that wheel roll Rivaleux would save you, since he turns up there. Haven't seen it myself, though.

Since my last post I gave this game another shot, and started getting really into it! I've even bought the DLC now. Maybe this is just a difficult game to get past the first play of, since it's hard to take in all the mechanics from one tutorial at the start of your first expedition, but once it clicks, it can really grab you.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 14, 2017