Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Federer is old and can't win on clay so he's skipping the event.
Sharapova is a doping doper and wasn't even given a wildcard for qualifying.
Serena got knocked up by the co-founder of Reddit.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/index.html
The second slam of the year begins Sunday, May 28 and ends Sunday, June 11. Local time in Paris is 6 hours ahead of U.S. Eastern Time.
TV coverage generally starts at 5 a.m. ET every day on Tennis Channel with NBC coverage on the weekend aka we'll all be streaming.

Draws

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
Rafael Nadal 5/6
Novak Djokovic 4/1
Dominic Thiem 10/1
Alexander Zverev 11/1
Andy Murray 11/1
Stan Wawrinka 11/1
Juan Martin Del Potro 33/1
Kei Nishikori 33/1

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
Simona Halep 5/1
Elina Svitolina 7/1
Garbine Muguruza 10/1
Kristina Mladenovic 11/1
Svetlana Kuznetsova 11/1
Karolina Pliskova 16/1
Angelique Kerber 18/1
Johanna Konta 25/1
Kiki Bertens 25/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Kinda wish Halep hadn't rolled her ankle in the Rome final, bit of a question mark now how that'll affect her chances and she was the closest to a favorite on the women's side.

I hope Kvitova will do okay.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
Simona Halep 5/1
Elina Svitolina 7/1
Garbine Muguruza 10/1
Kristina Mladenovic 11/1
Svetlana Kuznetsova 11/1
Karolina Pliskova 16/1
Angelique Kerber 18/1
Johanna Konta 25/1
Kiki Bertens 25/1
Jesus Christ.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Kvitova out on court now :woop: :sparkles:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fancyclown posted:

Kvitova out on court now :woop: :sparkles:
Managed to catch the last game of this. Petra's hand seems to be okay?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Bah, Eurosport Player removed the monthly subscription option and now it's just a daily pass or a yearly subscription. I ponied up but that kind of blows since I only use it for tennis and they don't actually cover a lot of tennis outside the slams. On the plus side they added split screen view so now I'm watching three courts at once.

Anyway, Petra looked pretty good. I didn't notice any problems with her hand.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

Bah, Eurosport Player removed the monthly subscription option and now it's just a daily pass or a yearly subscription. I ponied up but that kind of blows since I only use it for tennis and they don't actually cover a lot of tennis outside the slams. On the plus side they added split screen view so now I'm watching three courts at once.

Anyway, Petra looked pretty good. I didn't notice any problems with her hand.
Good on ya. I'm stuck on streams, but they've been reliable... for now.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Kerber's getting trounced. Not really surprising considering her form and the opponent, since Makarova is very good and a known giant killer. But still would be nice if she's able to turn her season around some time. :\

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
https://twitter.com/stu_fraser/status/868800886793003008

poo poo.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Not surprising Kerber lost, the woman she played isn't a complete mug. Kerber (and Murray) have been poo poo since getting to #1.

Great seeing Petra back and winning.

Betting websites are streaming matches so I don't have to suffer with ITV or Eurosport. Yay.

e: Warm up the tank engine Tomic is coming. Choo chooo!

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 28, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

At least she's in good company there.

I feel like there's a good chance Muguruza, aka the defending champion, will be bounced tomorrow as well. Schiavone won a tournament and was runner-up at another in the past month and it's her last year on tour. Primed for an upset.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Disband the WTA. Throw all WTA players into the garbage bin.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is 10 a lot? It seems like a lot

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Can we please mention Tomic's turd of a match again? What the hell?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have zero interest in watching any of today's matches. What a waste of a holiday.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Zverev/Verdasco could be good. If you had the choice of court I'd say pick an outer one just to see some of the lesser-known players, but if you're stuck with streams that only show the big courts then yeah, it's not a great lineup today. There's a chance Paire could trouble Rafa if he shows up but he tends to tank matches even more often than Tomic so probably not. I'll mostly watch specific players today - Goffin now, Gulbis and Mladenovic later, etc.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
wtf why is this not in the tennis thread oh well

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
In lieu of federer I want everyone else to lose, except for djokovic, I want him to die

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Slams get their own thread.

French players are down like flies and the first round isn't over yet.

e: oh Mladenovic might escape with the help the help of the crowd.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 29, 2017

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Brady vs Kiki though. Jebus christ. :nexus:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dustin Brown/Gael Monfils is last up on Lenglen. Should be a cracker.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
COME ON KOHLI!!!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The Korean kid Chung beat Querrey and it looks like Zverev is about to be shown the door by old fart Verdasco (good job backing up that Rome win).

People are saying Konta going out is a shock but how can that be when she's done that three years in a row now. She's crap on clay.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Yeah Konta out is not even remotely a shock.

Disappointing to see Zverev out in the first round, he's not my favorite of the youngsters but considering how comfortably he beat Djokovic in the Rome final just a week ago you'd have expected him to go deep here. Oh well.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Dustin Brown/Gael Monfils is last up on Lenglen. Should be a cracker.

This has started now. I think Monfils is kind of overrated to be honest but Brown is always worth watching.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I think Zverev made a huge mistake last night. There was 20 minutes of light left and he wanted to stop even though he was playing the better tennis at that moment. Instead he came out today and got rolled in two sets.

Murray making a meal of out this as expected.

Brown is only worth watching on grass.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I know it's still the 1st round but this is shaping up to be the worst RG in our lifetimes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tennis is dying.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Tennis is dying.
Much like golf, much like these gay forums.

RIP everything good in life.

Fake edit: Bouchard about to get bageled.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

Brown is only worth watching on grass.

He's only actually good on grass but to me he's entertaining even when losing on clay.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

They can barely see out there.

It has to stop soon. Murray/Monfils was the latest finish at RG but Monfils tanked the last set.

e: actually another Monfils match went on for a little longer.

e: still loving going!

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 30, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually yes not going anymore

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

If it wasn't for Nadal teetering on an insane 10 of a single slam I'd have no interest in either the men's or women's bracket this year, aside from hoping for Djokovic to lose.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Ugh, the French crowd seems incapable of not olé-ing every two minutes. Is there a way in which RG is not the worst major?

Puckish Rogue posted:

If it wasn't for Nadal teetering on an insane 10 of a single slam I'd have no interest in either the men's or women's bracket this year, aside from hoping for Djokovic to lose.

It's the opposite for me, a lot of promising players had a great clay court season and it would've been interesting to see if someone can snag a first major. With Nadal playing well again though it's basically just seeing who can go the furthest before losing to him, again. I mean he's more prone to an upset than at his peak, so it's not hopeless, and I wouldn't mind him winning a 10th, but the setup for the tournament is just less interesting for me this way (on the men's side at least).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

Ugh, the French crowd seems incapable of not olé-ing every two minutes. Is there a way in which RG is not the worst major?
The only good thing is the cool hats that everyone wears on the show courts deep into the tournament.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
did you guys see that

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/30/french-open-maxime-hamou-banned-groping-reporter

:whitewater:

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Glare Seethe posted:

It's the opposite for me, a lot of promising players had a great clay court season and it would've been interesting to see if someone can snag a first major. With Nadal playing well again though it's basically just seeing who can go the furthest before losing to him, again. I mean he's more prone to an upset than at his peak, so it's not hopeless, and I wouldn't mind him winning a 10th, but the setup for the tournament is just less interesting for me this way (on the men's side at least).

I guess I'm getting old and none of the new crowd have caught my eye yet.

The women's side is dire and it makes you kind of miss watching Serena crush failed Soviet Bloc doping experiments and then be said to be the best tennis player of either gender in the world until....unintelligible yelling about the WTA

People, tell me which young guns other than that mental Aussie I should keep an eye out for so that when Federer goes away i can pick the most handsome one with kind eyes.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I grew up playing on clay so I like RG. If you don't like it, well idgaf. Anyway, I hope djokovic dies.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Puckish Rogue posted:

People, tell me which young guns other than that mental Aussie I should keep an eye out for so that when Federer goes away i can pick the most handsome one with kind eyes.

It's mostly Kyrgios, Thiem and Zverev really (with a bunch of others following, like Coric or Chung), but personally I still hope someone older (i.e. 26) like Goffin or Dimitrov will win something big. Can't blame you for not getting excited considering those guys have been around for a good 4-5 years now and still haven't done much but since tennis as a sport is getting older they still have some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

oliwan posted:

I grew up playing on clay so I like RG. If you don't like it, well idgaf. Anyway, I hope djokovic dies.

I like clay, I'm just ambivalent to the talent playing on it.

Except Djokovic who I want to lose. Maybe not die, that means he can't lose further in the future.

Glare Seethe posted:

It's mostly Kyrgios, Thiem and Zverev really (with a bunch of others following, like Coric or Chung), but personally I still hope someone older (i.e. 26) like Goffin or Dimitrov will win something big. Can't blame you for not getting excited considering those guys have been around for a good 4-5 years now and still haven't done much but since tennis as a sport is getting older they still have some time.

Yeah, that;'s a good point about the sport getting older. You usually think of the next Bjorg/Sampras/Federer as being a teenage upstart who starts making waves and then in their early 20's goes all out. Except these days, as Nadal and Fed are showing, tennis doesn't end at 30. It's just hard to be excited for a 'breakout' season when they've been middling or just good for 5 years and most people have written them off. Plus we're all cynical enough to just say "wow he must go to Djokovic's dealer now."

I must admit Kyrgios has had an exciting beginning to the year but I just expect him to snap and have an 18 month binge of doing nothing before having a bizarrely dominant 3 tournaments and the cycle repeats. I'd be fine with him taking over in the new (sort of) crowd though.

• Locked thread