Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Jelena Ostapenko is going to take out the trash. She has too much power for Wozniacki. If it had been a little less windy it would have been in two sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Sodium Chloride posted:

Jelena Ostapenko is going to take out the trash. She has too much power for Wozniacki. If it had been a little less windy it would have been in two sets.

Yeah, Woz got smashed. I'm pleased with this result.

I am a little disappointed for Mladenovic but Bascinzsky is great so that one was win-win to begin with.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope Thiem beats, and kills, djokovic.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat that's the set, djoko still alive though

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
djoko is a fraud and should die

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Thiem's just completely outplaying Djokovic. Maybe he can close it out in straights.

edit: Thiem looks almost embarrassed/uncomfortable to be winning so easily. Double break up.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 7, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
omg I'm cumming and it's not stopping omg omg

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Boris Becker (who does the co commentary on German Eurosport) is doing a big cry about how he has so much respect for djokovic that he can't enjoy the match lmao

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone get djokovic a bowl of gluten, he needs it

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

oliwan posted:

Someone get djokovic a bowl of gluten, he needs it

Well he did just eat a bagel.

It's impressive that Thiem managed to turn around his results against both Nadal and Djokovic over the course of this clay season. Got smashed by Rafa in Barcelona, played him close in Madrid, then beat him in Rome. Lost badly to Djokovic in Rome, then straight-setted him at RG. If he beats Nadal on Friday it will redeem this whole tournament (on the men's side; I'm pretty happy with how the women's side has panned out).

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Federer is the GOAT of GOATS

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Woke up to see Thiem owned the poo poo out of Djokovic. :eyepop:

And just in time for my girl Svitolina.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

In December I wondered when Djokovic could get #1 again (since I don't expect Murray to repeat the back half of 2016) and he's not even #2 now.

That last set was pathetic.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Svitolina on a rampage.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Svitolina going down hard in the third set. What a swing. She even had a match point in the second set tiebreak and is now down 4 games to none in the third.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Glare Seethe posted:

Thiem's just completely outplaying Djokovic. Maybe he can close it out in straights.

edit: Thiem looks almost embarrassed/uncomfortable to be winning so easily. Double break up.

7:6 6:3 6:0

:dance:

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Best French open ever.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
eat poo poo Andy Murray

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I was worried since they've both played some hot garbage but Nishikori lost the will to live in the forth set.

C'mon Andy :woop:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I forgot that the French Open was even happening until I saw a headline about Thiem owning Djokovic, I guess it's been a good tournament?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I forgot that the French Open was even happening until I saw a headline about Thiem owning Djokovic, I guess it's been a good tournament?
It depends. If Nadal wins, it's been poo poo.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

If Nadal wins it's Just Another French Open. I mean it'll be impressive for him winning his 10th title and a good story for the ATP tour, but unless you're a dedicated Nadal fan it's kind of a boring result. Thiem winning would be best for the tour but I am still rooting for Murray to win a couple more slams so that would be my preferred outcome, and if he does it by beating Rafa in the final it will also be the funniest. Sadly it's also the least likely.

In a general sense I'm struggling to think of particularly memorable matches from the tournament so I don't think it's been that great. There's still time for it to come good, though, sometimes one match can redeem a whole tournament. And I guess Mladenovic played a few entertaining nailbiters. Were there any others?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This RG sucks and the only way it can be redeemed is if Stan beats Rafa in the final.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The French Open never has good matches, because clay courts are an affront to God.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
No men's singles today? why the gently caress even open the court?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I expect Darren Cahill to commit suicide if Halep doesn't win the whole drat thing.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 8, 2017

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Sodium Chloride posted:

https://twitter.com/TheFanChild/status/872823576792973316

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm all on board the Ostapenko train :bandwagon:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I wish the Nadal/Thiem match was first so I'd know whether to root for Wawrinka (in case Nadal wins) or Murray (in case Thiem wins). I don't want Andy to lose another final. :(

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want Andy to lose right now to STAN the MAN

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

First set was pretty excellent.

edit: Also Halep is in the stands looking pretty casual and relaxed. Hopefully that's a good sign for tomorrow.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 9, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress yeah STAN, you are the MAN!!!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Stan is playing really well in the fifth :(

e: bagel incoming :aaa:

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 9, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol get hosed Andy Murray, Stan is the man

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

As much as I'm sure Murray would disagree with me, I honestly prefer him losing in the semis than in another major final, and he would have if he'd won and played Nadal. If Thiem wins it'll be a horrible missed opportunity, though.

It's been a great match, either way. I wonder if the second semi will even finish today.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
man this is endless

edit: That's how you end a match nice

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes yes YES!!!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

If this doesn't end in straights then it'll have to finish tomorrow and it doesn't help they made the two matches into two sessions and had to clear out the Murray/Wawrinka watchers first.

'90s tennis men can gently caress off, bring on la decima!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope badal loses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

oliwan posted:

lol get hosed Andy Murray, Stan is the man
This check out and I hereby mark this post as both cool and good.

• Locked thread