Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

The Nova posted:

Hero Name: Stardust
Look: Woman, White, Normal Skin, Casual Clothing, Fantastical Costume

Ability: Cosmic Energies — "What can I say? I'm flinging around the raw energies of the cosmos! You've got your proto-cosmic radiation, stellar winds, dark matter, and, heck, I'm just scratching the surface! I'm going to be honest, I don't know much of the what or why of this all, but I can sure as heck tell you it does the job! Haven't met a problem the ol' proto-photon collider couldn't fix! I don't feel too bad about not knowing how it works, though, cause neither does anyone else! I've been putting on a smile for the scientific community and playing along with their experiments ever since I first put on the mask and, uh, I have never seen more old people argue harder than the time I pulled the ol' sun-outta-nowhere trick."

Weakness: The Wreckage of Talos VI — "Alright, yeah, it's not all sunshine and puppies. When Talos VI blew and I got tossed into the cosmic rift, some of the wreckage got sucked in with me and went through a similar process. The good news? There's not a lot of it. It was a small enough science vessel. The bad news? While there isn't much, it got shot pretty much everywhere. Time, space, pretty much anywhere on this plane of existence. More than a few that aren't. So, yeah, that kinda sucks. When I get near a large enough concentration of it, my powers totally fizzle. It's like it's at the exact opposite polarity of my stuff and everything just cancels out."

Labels:
Freak +2
Danger +1
Savior +0
Superior +0
Mundane +0

Burn and Flares:
When you charge up your powers, roll + conditions you currently have marked. On a hit, hold 3 burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, hold 2 burn and mark three conditions.

Spend your burn on your flares. You lose all burn at the end of the scene.

Shielding: You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling + Freak instead of + Savior.

Move: Spend 1 burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way. Spend a second burn to move to any place you’ve previously been.

Boost: Spend 1 burn to supercharge a teammate’s efforts with your powers, giving them a +1 bonus to their roll as if you had spent Team from the pool.

Snatch: Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.

Moment of Truth:
Your mind’s eye opens, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if there is any fear in their eyes when they look at you. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition.

When our team first came together...
We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

Relationships:
You hang out all the time with __________________ to blow off steam.
You once hurt ________________ when you lost control of your powers.

Influence:
If you choose happy facade, give Influence to three teammates.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

When we first came together...

Camp Crisis #0 posted:

We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

Our first foray with the campers was, as far as I can tell, never actually supposed to happen. Horizon³ was en route to some uncharted horizon full of wonders and scientific secrets. We didn't quite make it. Nobody bothered to tell us what was going on, but it must have been important because I heard them using that code phrase that means 'shut the Odyssey Engine down right now.' Perks of hanging out with Dr. Sullivan trying to figure out this Rift business, right? I know a few things about the weirdo inner workings of the place. Not enough to know why it happened, but at least I had a leg up on the rest of 'em! Honestly, it reminds me a lot of the way my parents used to talk about problems around me when we were searching for the rift. Well, I guess that was more 'they're using highly technical galvanic science terms' than any intentional artifice, but hey! Same gist.

So, anyways, our original field trip was canceled. Horizon³ popped back into existence in the middle of some sort of crazy nightmare hotel. A lot of things just... didn't work like you'd think they would. It was like your senses were going nuts trying to process something they couldn't possibly hope to. Witchcraft and I were in the middle of getting the Rigel campers mustered when one of them looked out the nearest view screen, doubled over, and just blew chunks everywhere! It was so gross, but luckily the janitor bots were around to deal with that situation. They have those cleaning beams and, boy oh boy, they are pure magic. How else are you even supposed to deal with vomit that's doing its level best to eat its way through the fabric of space?

I figured they were going to signal us to get the kids locked down for the duration of the emergency, maybe put on a movie or something, but... Well. Challenger hit the comms and said, swear to God, "Welcome to a place beyond time and space! This hotel, the Cosmic House of Mysteries, hosts peoples from countless times, spaces, and other sundry dimensions. It is one of the most significant locations in terms of multiversal relations. What better locale could we find for this session's first field excursion? Counselors, prepare your campers to depart within the hour!" I'm... pretty sure he signed off with an 'Excelsior!' or something like that, too.

Well, there we were. A bunch of campers who were not ready to follow directions, a bunch of counselors who didn't know each other or where we were, and a bunch of responsible adults who were completely and utterly busy with their own pressing emergencies. If you ask me, it's no surprise we ended up losing one of the hotel's wings. I mean, seriously, it's just gone. Not even that weirdo space wizard who manages the place knows what happened to it. But can you blame us? It's not our fault that campers are some sort of forbidden delicacy in transdimensional space. We just did what we had to do to get them back onto Horizon³ in one piece.

Relationships

quote:

You hang out all the time with Pointgirl to blow off steam.

You know, Pointgirl is really something. I mean, don't get me wrong, we all are. The counselors all have something special. But to see her going so hard when she's, you know, just a girl with some really cool gadgets? Heh. Bet you don't need two guesses to know what that reminds me of. Way back, when I still had... All this stuff with the Rift can really weigh on me. I try not to show how much I need to actively keep it in check, but I do. It takes a lot out of me. Talking with Pulsar, Green Myrmidon, and Black Beetle helps, too, but sometimes it kind of feels like we're running the oppression olympics. Who has it the worst? Who's lost the most? Who can crack the most insensitive joke about the things that are secretly really bugging them? It never feels like that with Pointgirl.

Even when I mess up, she's there for me. Like that thing with Kid Hyperion? Man, I was a wreck when I finally got permission to unmask and unwind. No lectures about how close I came to blasting him into a million pieces, just... Asking how I'm doing. What she can do to help. It means a lot. It may just be girl time to her when we hang out, but I wouldn't give it up for anything.

quote:

You once hurt Kid Hyperion when you lost control of your powers.

Yeah... I still feel really bad about it. Really, really bad. I mean, I messed up real bad. Not going to dodge things. I can't blame anyone else for what happens with the Rift. It was the day after that mess with the Cosmic House of Mysteries. It's no secret that things are tense with me and his roommate. We actually got into a bit of a scrap when it happened. Technically it was sanctioned sparring under the umbrella of a counselor self-defense demonstration, but both I and Stopmotion had a bit too much riding on winning. He started going hard, then so did I. The problem is that when I go hard, I can... Well, the Rift can get away from me.

Witchcraft had stepped out to run one of the campers to the nurse, so Kid Hyperion was the only other counselor present. I'm not going to bore you with a bunch of technical mumbo-jumbo, but he tried to control the cosmic energy that was about to blast Stopmotion back to his own awful timeline with his light-control powers. It worked, about as well as anyone could have hoped, and Stopmotion is sadly still hanging out here being horrible. The real problem was Kid Hyperion got all torn up by it. Witchcraft got back just in time to run him to the nurse, too. She's a gem like that.

Once everyone got dismissed and I got my first real dressing down of the summer out of the way, which was actually way more relaxed than I would have thought it would be, I was asked to take an hour or two to regain my cool before resuming my duties. Good thing Pointgirl was on break, because I definitely needed to talk!

I should really do something for him to make up for that...

quote:

You are roommates with Witchcraft attached to Cabin Rigel. Now White Rabbit lives with you too!

Witchcraft is so cool! I mean, sure, she gets super shy whenever she doesn't have her mask on and she always is a little cagey when we get to talking about what all we were up to before becoming counselors, but I figure that's just the usual getting-to-know-you wrinkles. She knows a lot about science, though! I may not be anywhere near the same level of genius galvanic scientist that my parents are, but, well, I still know enough of the lingo to talk some shop! And have you seen her robots? Man, that's awesome! We must have the cleanest cabin around. Definitely reminds me of life at the Laplace Building.

White Rabbit is really interesting, too! Her existence may defy anything I thought I knew about science, but she seems to be settling in. The cabin's been getting a little weird with some of the stuff she leaves around. Like that black circle that turns into a hole? White Rabbit can pick it up, but the rest of us need to be worried about slipping into who-knows-where! And her closet! Which used to be a drawer, by the way, but now it opens up into a limitless expanse... of a zillion copies of White Rabbit's dress. How does it take her so long to choose what to wear in the morning?

You know, for all that the cabin wasn't designed for three, I've been really enjoying it so far! It's just like the close quarters on the Talos VI. It's kind of funny, really. I took everything that happened to me as pretty normal, you know? Living in a house of the future... Exploring uncharted space... Well, the Rift was definitely not normal. But everything else? It's just how things were. I guess I never thought of how weird it might come off to someone else. I'm just glad Witchcraft seems to find it relaxing when I start telling her stories from my childhood. Like the time when the Anatarian Space Envoys were at the Laplace Building for some sort of peace talks and I snuck out with their Space Princess to show her around the city. Haha, that was an adventure and a half! I wonder what things were like for White Rabbit? I should ask her.

Influence

quote:

With a happy facade demeanor, give Influence to three teammates.

My thoughts are Pointgirl because her boundless pluck and never-say-die attitude inspire Stardust. Witchcraft because of the ineffable power and inescapable presence of a roommate. Finally, Kid Hyperion because Stardust is still shook about that whole scene.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 30, 2017

• Locked thread