Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
THE OPEN CHEST DIALOGUE IS BACK! :flashfap:

That being said, I too like the bond-ness of this opening. It (re)-introduces Kevin and lets you get your toes dipped in the combat and spell casting system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

I suppose it's too much to hope for that Dorothy is the new recruit....

'Wait, why'd you hire a reporter?'
'It was either that or the Grallsritter would be published the next day.'
'Wow, usually you just kill people like that.'
'I tried.'
'Haha sure you did.'
'Really hard.'
'Oh.'
'PLEASE DON'T LET US BE PUBLISHED!'
'Oh wow. Now I'm scared.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Erpy posted:

And Ouroboros already introduced the practice of cybercrime to the world. And already employs several weapon-grade trolls. Whenever the Orbal Net goes mainstream, it'll only be a matter of days before it completely turns to poo poo.

Kevin's Priestbook will continually be bombed by Estelle and Dorothy because he won't change his status to 'Onion.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

A lot of Erika's problems as a character would disappear if Tita would just say that her and Agate aren't an item but...she never does.

Because of course they're not an item. What does that even mean? My cannons and his sword are items and we're not like that.

what do you mean it has connotations

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Albert was going to say that but then she went into another tirade and he knows her well enough that the words and sentiment won't register when she's like that.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 6, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Josette put her growths into what really mattered: hats.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There's luck and then there's the realization that a sufficiently motivated person with a sufficiently sturdy (also big) enough stick solves a whole lot more problems than you'd think they'd be able too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Erpy posted:

I'm still kinda puzzled why Falcom ended up creating an entirely new set of dialogue portraits for Schera while Olivier, who also changed his suit and hairdo, simply got slightly modified versions of his FC and SC expressions. Not that those could get any better. It's just weird to see Schera with a whole new set of facial features.

Usually what happens after what Schera went through is them 'letting their hair down' as a reflection of them becoming unburdened.
However since she's always had her hair down she had to go with the 'cut your hair to try a radical new look as a metaphor for your new outlook on life.'

That's a pretty big change compared to Olivier's 'wearing a proper fancy coat' bit.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Erpy posted:

Someone in Japan doesn't seem to know that "mustard gas" isn't some harmless sneezing powder and that using it is a friggin' war crime. Makes you wonder what other violations of the Geneva Convention Aina's carrying along in that suitcase. Of course she's immune herself.

Considering she has pepper ones and one full of Laughing Shrooms I'm thinking that it's literally mustard seeds in there. Which is a lot more humane than the typical specimen :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

If it had the incoherent yelling then Really Pants would have game over'd at that dragon dive and the entire fight would have been based around him not getting a turn to do exactly that.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 7, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Whenever you have a big machine gun with a lot of bullets to burn you just have to keep the trigger pressed and go 'ahhhhhhhh' when firing it.

It's like, a sublaw of nature.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Yeah, Agate seems to see Tita as a surrogate little sister, and it's everyone else who keeps harping on about "the aesthetic beauty of age gaps in a relationship" or whatever the hell. I honestly can't blame him for reacting as defensively as he does when someone brings it up.

There's certain romantic elements there but as it is everyone's regressing to highschool drama levels of 'oh my goodness there's a THING there they totally have a thing eeeeeeeeee it's so cute eeeeeeee'

Which is ok in small doses but this is what, the second full game where it's been brought up repeatedly? The only thing that would make it funny is if Agate started full-on ignoring everyone who brought it up and Tita started being all defensive about it (switching their current reactions to keep it fresh.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh no! Kevin OD'd on protagonist now that Estelle's here! Now he has to sit out and we get to know more about him by association with Ries!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Congratulations Estelle, you are now a certifiable Breath of Fire protagonist.

Go fish up your end-game armor now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Sieg... FROM THE FUTURE!

Where he's a giant bird-man-bird who combo crafts with Khloe to execute EXTREME BIRD WRESTLING MOVES!

Or we get Cassius. Yawn.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Lynkericious posted:

A little of Column A, a little of Column B. Take my advice and just ignore 90% of what I say, it's stupid most of the time.

Wait... Then that means... I'M ONTO YOUR GAME! Time to go to church to wipe the imaginary internet stigma from my internet body to escape a grasp you may or may not have on me now that I have read your trigger phrases!

(Also hooray for an intelligent person to actually figure out what's going on with this whole labyrinth and who made it before Kevin wakes up to say 'oh you guys figured that out, I was gonna tell you but boy is that a load off my shoulders wait what do you mean it requires a virgin sacrifice to leave')

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The main strategy in Black Jack against an AI opponent is 'know when to stop taking cards you greedy idiot.' A 16/17 on an opening hand sucks but if you land there after taking up a card or two... Assuming you're taking turns on drawing which doesn't seem to be the case here.
18+ though you're pretty safe on holding off and letting the opponent test their luck against the 16/17 doldrums. That's usually how I win: not so much by having great numbers but by the dealer going bust.

The poker however is really set up in your favor being a 3 card river and a 3 card hand. I usually try going for full houses in normal 5-card draw but pairs are typically your breadwinners in stud and river setups, two pair is pretty easy to get and rather strong to boot.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Finally jeez. Took you long enough to show up Cass- DANGIT CASSIUS YOU MANAGED TO SLIP OUT OF OUR PARTY YET AGAIN! :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Kinda-sorta. FFTA's wish fulfillment problem is more about personal acceptance and escapism.

Here the wish fulfillment is more in the vein of 'what is life if everything you want is just given to you leaving nothing left to strive for?'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

FrantzX posted:

So, what are the odds that everyone here, except for Kevin, and maybe Ries, (and Gilbert?) are just as illusionary as the rest of Phantasma?

50/50 odds between 'oh Kevin what do you mean we all got stuck in some weird garden who's your cute friend oh hello Ries' IT WAS ALL A DREAM and 'man Kevin I don't know whether I should be honored or afraid that I got mind-ported into your personal counseling hell there' if they do remember it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's the huge snoz. It's drawn in a different style than pretty much everyone else which makes him sort of stick out.

More than he already does, I mean.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dunno why you'd have to trade in a bunch of Sepith for that door considering that you get 40k mira just from chests around the schoolhouse.

Unless funds are that tight in this game that you won't have 10k kicking around from getting this far.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

That chest knew what's what.

Phillip did Rend Renne almost to her End.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Baby Dragon is also pretty minor in the scale of things.

The fact that Ragnard exists, period, fulfills the 'even with all of our understanding there's just some things we plain don't know about like how the hell did that dragon fly so fast i mean what the gently caress 2x terminal velocity what kind of nos is that dude on?' part of a science-heavy fantasy setting.

It's why the Salt Pale story is so great too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

You mean Amorous Prince W. Who they couldn't print in the article for fear of libel :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

And the thing is, even with Renne's three doctorate's Estelle's still right.

Only she'd be a student at the school of SUNSHINE AND LOLLIPOPS taught by one Estelle Bright with PH.D's in 'stopping being evil,' 'stopping being an emo' and 'carrying a big stick.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

IT.

IS.

TIME.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

UNPARALLELED YELLING

Gotta love the boss battles where you're fighting a simple dude that just wrecks your butt. It's a nice touch that in comparison to most of the other guardian fights, the party is the one kneeling while Cassius is all 'yep you beat me. good job' standing there no-selling his defeat.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

Man, the games really do not like Josette, at least from a mechanical perspective. Potentially holding off her S-Craft until now is a doozy of a dick move, since it could be possible for the player to not do the Sun Doors and just blitz through the plot. On the other hand, I do like the awareness the doppelganger versions of the boss fight characters have. They know they're fakes being used by someone else, but they have a job to do, so they're going to follow through despite their reservations. It's a nice little touch.

It is very refreshing for them to go 'don't even start with the sob story because we're not freakin' real and you're not getting past us without a fight so let's just get this over with!'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

My first guess was either Super Zombie Weissman or Bleublanc's Older Eviller Brother.

Then plot happened and I added in Rufina or another member of the church.

Then more plot happened and cemented someone from the Church, either Rufina in some form or another Dominion (or a Fallen Dominion or something like that.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Glazius posted:

I do like that this is keeping with the general sweep of Trails games having characters smarter than the player, or at least able to think of things the player is not.

Or finally, finally, having characters that can keep up with some players.

Cassius's Genre Savvy-ness has rubbed off on lots of characters by now :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

I guessed it a while back not based on any hints or clues, but because Rufina is the only character who it would make narrative sense for the Lord of Phantasma to be.

This and what Some Number's said were how I arrived at my guess (95% chance of Rufina, 5% an ouroboros person.)

Then they introduced some people from the church and modified my numbers (87% Rufina, 13% someone else from the Church.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Cryohazard posted:

It's okay, I'm sure it doesn't get any darker than this. That would be crazy.

Jokes on you, he was salt when he got here.

Now he's turned to pepper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hooray for completed LP's of neato games!

• Locked thread