Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

By design, there's a pretty low cap on the number of players in any adventure zone map. So you'd only run into lots of players in the hub zones anyway. I wouldn't worry about it unless you really want to do high-end dungeon content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
And if grinding up to the highest elite tiers is your thing, get on the official discord and make some friends - I haven't been on in a while but there's always been a group of die hard fans doing that stuff and I'd imagine they're still playing :v:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
ugh, i need the abandoned lore 2, but you can only get it by someone giving it to you.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Last Train to Cairo in TSW classic wasn't terrible for me, only fell/got knocked off the train twice.
The really terrible part in TSW classic Issue #06 for me was the aggravating instant death floor-puzzle in The City Before Us, tier 2. I eventually bum-rushed it with maxed out health & a bunch of barrier potions.

e: Cost of Magic, tier 4. yeah no. I'm ok with never finishing this mission because jumping puzzles & platforming puzzles are universally terrible, no matter the game genre.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 27, 2021

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Eeked out the last dregs of TSW classic last week, and downloaded Secret World Legends over the weekend.
Despite being 4 years past the cutoff date, was still able to import all of my unlocked/purchased vanity items and pets from TSW Classic into SWL.

Mostly like the changes that Legends has made, especially in Agartha. Took me maybe a day to get used to the new ALT key UI change, the subtle map revisions in Solomon Island seem good.

Only issue I've had in Secret World Legends is that the tutorial constantly crashed out, especially in the Transylvania bunker section, under Linux/Wine.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Wow, I played the first game a bit and had forgotten about it until I stumbled across this thread. Think I'll download Legends and give it a whirl, the first one was pretty fun.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

a mysterious cloak posted:

Wow, I played the first game a bit and had forgotten about it until I stumbled across this thread. Think I'll download Legends and give it a whirl, the first one was pretty fun.

I'm actually doing an LP!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967102

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007

Smooth operation

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
are there any other MMOs you guys would recommend if I liked this one?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I think the closest you could get with MMOs would be another story-rich game like LOTRO or SWTOR.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Xenaul posted:

Smooth operation

Aka, the one intern left has no idea how any of this poo poo works and none of it is well commented.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Huh

I wrote the code they're probably still using for the event handling, sorry y'all

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Samhain 2021 on SWL has been pretty stable (once they actually got the login-award stuff working).

Least crowded the hourly Jack raid was 15 people at the deadest of hours (4am) on a monday morning last week for me, otherwise the Jack raid has consistently had 35 or so people in it/or waiting for the next raid event timer. And the Jack rid waiting zone is a perfect place to surprise deploy the "share a story with a fellow Secret Worlder" to multiple? people for The Abandoned investigation mission.

Tokyo isn't bad, as a first time player of the Tokyo zone (I don't count my reaching Tokyo in TSW classic because I had zero AEGIS buffs/didn't own issues 09 or 10 or 11, etc, in SWL Classic); I just had to level up all my gear & weapons to at least blue status to not get insta-killed by evolved filth enemies.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Is this a game worth playing if you play mostly solo and want to experience the story?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GoGoGadget posted:

Is this a game worth playing if you play mostly solo and want to experience the story?

yeah

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

That's pretty much the only way it's worth playing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GoGoGadget posted:

Definitely. If you like modern Lovecraftian horror it's great. Do the dungeons once to get the lore because they're all great

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Is there a recommended build/class for soloing

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

GoGoGadget posted:

https://forums.funcom.com/t/how-to-build-all-weapons/881

That link is pretty much the definitive guide on how to pair any two weapon types. He recommends not pairing two "healer" weapons (fists, rifle, and blood) together. Three of the starter classes do exactly that.

Personally, I think either of the starter classes with pistol (chaos/pistol or pistol/shotgun) work especially well.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

GoGoGadget posted:

The story is fantastic imo

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

Unless you absolutely want to play elemental as main hand, take elemental as offhand, it is incredibly strong for solo now due to them adding a combat tanking pet to it (living flame)

For main hand, each weapon has its own gimmick, some are ignorable like pistols some you have to deal with like assault rifle (AR). AR has longest range.
There are no classes really, There are 9 weapon types in game, starting "class" just unlocks 2 of them for free, you can unlock the rest as you play, though unlocks become progressively more expensive.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
They're making a tabletop rpg.
https://massivelyop.com/2021/09/21/funcom-gave-a-player-group-its-blessing-to-build-a-secret-world-ttrpg/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's going to be based off dnd 5e isn't it

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Len posted:

Given the "5E compatible" on the mockup cover art, unfortunately yes.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Sweet

Len posted:

Oh, nevermind

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kalman posted:

Given the "5E compatible" on the mockup cover art, unfortunately yes.

Of course it is

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://twitter.com/AnvilStar/status/1460304742693982215?s=20

https://twitter.com/AnvilStar/status/1459722128681586693?s=20

https://twitter.com/AnvilStar/status/1459346039568310277?s=20

They understandably went with 5e since that's what's popular but there's hope it'll get converted to a good system like PBTA

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I import the Filth and/or Sleepers into my Dungeon World games all the time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

:rip:

https://twitter.com/AnvilStar/status/1460962488506359810?s=20

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
How have you had the same twitter account since 2009? I go through about four a year :v:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Bumping this dead thread to say I finally went through Tokyo and South Africa and they were great and this game still loving owns after all these years and it is very depressing that there will almost certainly be no more story content ever, and it also sucks rear end that they won't ever port the Tokyo Dungeons and the missing raids over to SWL. :smith:

I hope the TTRPG will inspire Funcom to add some new content or at least finish converting all the old content, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'm just thankful that the game still exists for whenever i finally get the time and energy to go through it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

I still dabble in TSW once every now and then. I think the way forwards won't be more MMO style presentation but more in the veins of Moons of Madness.

I really liked Moons of Madness even though I'm not a fan of chase sequences.
(the Samuel Chandra recordings you can stumble across later in the game were a pleasant surprise)

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I bought Moons of Madness but, along with like 90 other Steam games, haven't gotten around to playing it. I ought to.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So I joined a random pubbie Cabal cuz I want to do dungeons and stuff and I am now seeing what a staggering grind the end game is lmao, holy loving poo poo :eyepop:

Started inspecting random people and while item level 1700(!) is sufficient to enter the hardest stuff in the game, I saw someone who had item level 5000(!!!!!) weapons.

I am currently item level 153.

Oh well, not like I have to rush so I'm ready for the next content update :smith:

I did have someone run me through baby elite mode Ankh which is my favorite dungeon, though, so that was cool.

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

So I joined a random pubbie Cabal cuz I want to do dungeons and stuff and I am now seeing what a staggering grind the end game is lmao, holy loving poo poo :eyepop:

Started inspecting random people and while item level 1700(!) is sufficient to enter the hardest stuff in the game, I saw someone who had item level 5000(!!!!!) weapons.

I am currently item level 153.

Oh well, not like I have to rush so I'm ready for the next content update :smith:

I did have someone run me through baby elite mode Ankh which is my favorite dungeon, though, so that was cool.

You are confusing weapon power with item level. I think 1756 or so maximum one can have currently in game. Technically, I think DPS can effectively max out at 1699 since accuracy glyphs don't need to be fully maxed for you to never mess at highest difficulty mobs in game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Oh, you're right. That's... significantly less terrifying. Still seems like a bit of a grind but, well, MMORPG.

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

Oh, you're right. That's... significantly less terrifying. Still seems like a bit of a grind but, well, MMORPG.

If see someone advertising for "regionals" always joins up, it will help a lot quickly, just try to have an empty bag. Also always join lairs. Do not worry about doing damage.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
so something might be happening?

https://twitter.com/SecretWorldLgds/status/1503880072037642243

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Xenaul posted:

If see someone advertising for "regionals" always joins up, it will help a lot quickly, just try to have an empty bag. Also always join lairs. Do not worry about doing damage.

Just did a lair, actually! Embarrassed myself by dying like four times lol. What are "regionals" in this context?

I assume that teaser is for a Spring Event.