Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

prefect posted:

I fell out of actively playing between Tokyo expansions, so I never got to do that one. :(

I understand you also get angel wings at some point? :sigh:

Angel wings are great. The wings you get are based off the decisions you made in the story. If you sided with the filth, remained neutral, or listened to Gaia

Getting them is even cooler. Pretty much you are after Lillith who is camped up in the impenetrable orochi tower. So what do you do? You Team up with everyone in tokyo, including JOHN avatar of the filth. You do some things outside the tower and then John brings the towers power out, lighting up the windows to spell out "COME ON IN CHUCK". Then you , demons, samurai and yakuza storm the tower and face lilith. Then you fight lilith and John distracts her by talking and then David Camerons Deus Ex Machina comes down and imprisions her

Say what you will about the game, but the story certainly has some great moments.. Surrounded by the shity Aegis system.

Also if they don't keep the call back to the tutorial I will be angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
There's now a 3 person story-mode for dungeons that doesn't really require a trinity. It's basically face roll to see the story.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Exmond posted:

Angel wings are great. The wings you get are based off the decisions you made in the story. If you sided with the filth, remained neutral, or listened to Gaia

Getting them is even cooler. Pretty much you are after Lillith who is camped up in the impenetrable orochi tower. So what do you do? You Team up with everyone in tokyo, including JOHN avatar of the filth. You do some things outside the tower and then John brings the towers power out, lighting up the windows to spell out "COME ON IN CHUCK". Then you , demons, samurai and yakuza storm the tower and face lilith. Then you fight lilith and John distracts her by talking and then David Camerons Deus Ex Machina comes down and imprisions her

Say what you will about the game, but the story certainly has some great moments.. Surrounded by the shity Aegis system.

Also if they don't keep the call back to the tutorial I will be angry.

drat, I wish there were more time before the relaunch.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Lawlicaust posted:

There's now a 3 person story-mode for dungeons that doesn't really require a trinity. It's basically face roll to see the story.

That's exactly my thing then, glad to hear. I had some fun with the dungeons in gw2 (no trinity either) before most of runs became zerk only speed runs too.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

prefect posted:

drat, I wish there were more time before the relaunch.

They're keeping the old game open, to the best of my knowledge. It'll be a ghost town as far as other players, but the Tokyo storyline you quoted is soloable.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I did the dungeons up through darkness war because they were underleveled and I had transylvania gear. Never did get around to Ankh+, doing the gatekeeper (which prevented me from finishing some Agartha lore I wanted), or finishing tokyo once I hit part 2 and had to grind aegis. I love the game but not enough to repeat content to farm up AP/SP/Aegis or to figure out a better build than the lovely hammer/chaos build I moved into during savage coast years ago.

What I like about the game: the static sound and music when you load it up. The quest intro cutscenes, even with some of the weird faces and characters. The music. The lore. The quest hubs feeling like part of the world enough to not feel like standard mmo quest hubs (the lady's porch, the lighthouse, romani camp, the hotel, etc). The little tinkle and icon when you get an achievement or lore update (triggers my skinner box instinct or whatever you want to call it, much like the old everquest DING and quest trumpets). The halloween quest with the radios around the graveyards. The world of darkness meets lovecraft feel of the game. The city of the sun god (I was one of the few who liked that area, it reminded me of the original tomb raider games and was a nice change of pace from the first egypt zone with all the cultists.) Figuring out how to do Last Dance of the Padurii with my hammer/chaos build and the crappy skills I had access to.

Didn't like: the awkward engine with rubber banding and bugs, having to look up many investigation quest answers because I'm dumb and lazy and don't have a smartphone to interpret morse code or to know the limits of the game engine. The sabotage missions where messing up an awkward jump with barely visible red laser lines causes you to explode and start over. The time it takes to get around Agartha to the portal you need. The extremely long load times on my old computer. Shoehorning weird stuff into the game like the snowmobile race. Platforming puzzles with the bad engine. Trying to lose aggro after sprinting around a zone to get to where I want to go while dragging behind me a horde of undead, akaab, vampires, and ghouls. The combat system being basically twister as you try to stand where you can dole out your best damage while not being in any of the geometric shapes being drawn for the various monster attacks.

I'll be giving the remake a chance to see if they kept the fun of the game while getting rid of some of the bullshit but it sounds like maybe they just replaced it with different bullshit. I haven't checked youtube but are there any decent Let's Plays out there? Two years ago I tried to find videos of the dungeons I hadn't seen yet but it was mostly 5 people sprinting through demolishing everything and skipping the plot. At this point I think I'd rather watch a full let's play from someone who appreciates the story, even if they wear a gimpsuit and horse head while doing it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Nicholas Cage asks you to get him orange juice to make homemade napalm.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Maybe this time Tokyo won't come out something like three years behind schedule.

In sections.

With the first being a barebones release and having you need to buy a second content pack to flush it out.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

angerbeet posted:

Or at all, ever, for any reason.

That asylum one was cool though.

The garage wasn't great but I had a great time listening to Dame Julia constantly rambling about how things were better in her day and how terrible every other faction is.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The dungeons are great, it was a bit of genius to have them all narrated. Ankh in particular would have been way less fun without Klein's voice actor chewing the scenery. :allears:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Lawlicaust posted:

Came here to ask about this very thing. Thanks for sharing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So are there still a bunch of standard MMO fetch/kill quests mixed in with all the really good stuff?

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

Game "sounds" amazing. Never played the first one, but if this one is F2P I may as well. Not a lot of MMOs in a modern setting.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Breidr posted:

Game "sounds" amazing. Never played the first one, but if this one is F2P I may as well. Not a lot of MMOs in a modern setting.

It has a better plot and voice acting than single player adventure games too, which is pretty special for an MMO.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I've been playing the beta for a couple of weeks now and I've really enjoyed it as much as I did when I played in the original beta all those years ago.

The changes to the game aren't really mind blowing but they aren't the worst. I can't imagine people sticking around after they finish the main story quest just for more game play though (combat is still bad) but the things that made the Secret World good, the story, the atmosphere, the NPCs haven't changed.

The new hub in Agartha feels a bit weird since I thought the lore talks about how non bees/special people can't enter because they get stun to death by literal bees but I guess it's better than just people standing around on a slope.

Aside from the combat, the main problems I have is that this game isn't too newbie friendly. I wish you could dick around with the weapons before settling on a class or have the game force you to talk through an NPC's conversation tree since I don't think many new players are going to know they can click on a topic more then once for more info from the NPC but everything seems to be set in stone and the game just floods you with info that you're easily going to forget or click over. There's a thread about this on the beta forums but I can't say I've seen anything that suggests the Devs aren't just going to rush ahead and launch the game anyway.

On that note I think they hosed up setting a June release. There is still a number of bugs and a general lack of polish that will throw people off whereas people are more accepting of this in an open beta even if these issues never do get fixed.

Overall I think it's worth coming back in on a casual basis. The story and the characters are still head and shoulders above most games and its not a bad way to kill a couple of hours.

Lawlicaust posted:

This has been my favourite part so far. You can basically bring any combination in and as long as your not actively trying to kill yourself, you can get to the end without a problem although the loot sucks.

I haven't done the harder dungeons but I think the lack of a target lock is going to make some of the Nightmares next to impossible.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

The dungeons are great, it was a bit of genius to have them all narrated. Ankh in particular would have been way less fun without Klein's voice actor chewing the scenery. :allears:

Ze Ankh, symbol of rebirth, and you will be reborn... in a fashion

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the new faces are good enough that I can make a TSW version of Zoe or Kian from Dreamfall Chapters.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kegslayer posted:

The new hub in Agartha feels a bit weird since I thought the lore talks about how non bees/special people can't enter because they get stun to death by literal bees but I guess it's better than just people standing around on a slope.

I thought that normal people would just explode by being overloaded with the Agartha Force if they entered. But it's been a long time, so I could be imagining anything. :shrug:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Brain In A Jar posted:

You PEOPLE!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

DancingShade posted:

I hope the new faces are good enough that I can make a TSW version of Zoe or Kian from Dreamfall Chapters.

They've been steadily adding more each phase do the are a decent number of faces now. Females have some good ones. Males not as much especially with how bad beards currently look.

Arivia posted:

So are there still a bunch of standard MMO fetch/kill quests mixed in with all the really good stuff?

There are. Though most of them still have some sort of story. Kingsmouth is probably the place with the most traditional quests like get some supplies, find survivors, and kill a bunch of zombies.

One of the unfortunate results of the new level system is that you have to do most quests in each zone to stay ahead of the level gate on the story missions. Doing all of Kingsouth puts you about 1 level ahead of the starting level requirements in Savage Coast. All of Coast is 2-3 ahead of Blue Mountain. This means you'll probably end up dking some quests you hate. If you do almost everything from Kingsmouth to Sun God, you'll hit 50 and can do Transylvania as endgame. If you go to Trans before 50 (I think 45 is the requirement for Besieged), it can be a little rough.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 31, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arivia posted:

They also force you to do a bunch of the unfun ones before the fun ones open up

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lawlicaust posted:

They've been steadily adding more each phase do the are a decent number of faces now. Females have some good ones. Males not as much especially with how bad beards currently look.

There are. Though most of them still have some sort of story. Kingsmouth is probably the place with the most traditional quests like get some supplies, find survivors, and kill a bunch of zombies.

Well guess I'm making a Zoe then. Probably wouldn't get Kian's face tattoos right anyway.

Kingsmouth and the rest of the island were my favorite zones in the original game with perhaps the exception of the Orochi Tower itself. Loved that place.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DancingShade posted:

Well guess I'm making a Zoe then. Probably wouldn't get Kian's face tattoos right anyway.

Kingsmouth and the rest of the island were my favorite zones in the original game with perhaps the exception of the Orochi Tower itself. Loved that place.

Kingsmouth has some fantastic Illuminati historical stuff, and they did a great job of making it look like a coastal New England town. The fences are just right.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Brain In A Jar posted:

Remarkable regenerative capabilities, but there appears to be something wrong with your short term memory.

Here is a good mission opening for an example on why most people like the voice acting and the writing for the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWvkz7gpGEo

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 31, 2017

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry
Don't forget some of the finest bugs out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRGlolYT_VY

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ugh I'm going to end up playing this, how large is the client download clocking in at?

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

thwoompa posted:

That definitely qualifies as a feature.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

angerbeet posted:

Ugh I'm going to end up playing this, how large is the client download clocking in at?

43 GB. That might just be because beta though.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

angerbeet posted:

You can do a minimal install and download new zones as needed if you're in a shithole with bandwidth caps or something.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

thwoompa posted:

this is the one where you could just keep going with the emote and end up with two gigantic angular pieces sticking out of your face, right?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kessel posted:

this is the one where you could just keep going with the emote and end up with two gigantic angular pieces sticking out of your face, right?

Yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLue6h3RI9U

a good soundtrack to the above

TSW has had some really fun glitches, I think my favorite was being able to cartwheel into opposite faction HQs because the emote moved your character.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Kessel posted:

Also yes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

flatluigi posted:

Yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLue6h3RI9U

a good soundtrack to the above

TSW has had some really fun glitches, I think my favorite was being able to cartwheel into opposite faction HQs because the emote moved your character.

You could get out of anima Wells that way too

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.

Len posted:

You could get out of anima Wells that way too

One of the newer Tokyo quests have a sabotage mission where you need to do crap like cartwheeling through a laser field and moonwalking past pressure plates. Guessing it's glitches and exploits like those that inspired them :allears:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just patiently waiting for the re-launch now.

Will buy a sub so I can get that 3rd age power armor costume to wear in the story missions.

(assuming that's still in the sub rewards anyway)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Prygelknabe posted:

One of the newer Tokyo quests have a sabotage mission where you need to do crap like cartwheeling through a laser field and moonwalking past pressure plates. Guessing it's glitches and exploits like those that inspired them :allears:

And that mission is poo poo. EvilBillMurray has fought angels, demons, and possibly gods yet Orochi robots have to be carefully avoided.

Also you can rocketjump past the pressure plates to make it faster.

Ah god Fac 5/6 without rocket jump. :suicide:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

And that mission is poo poo. EvilBillMurray has fought angels, demons, and possibly gods yet Orochi robots have to be carefully avoided.

Also you can rocketjump past the pressure plates to make it faster.

I pity the fool who didn't have someone cheat the second half of the mission for them for the achievement.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man they are so bad and lazy the menu still says "Skill Wheel" on it, kill any hope this isn't going to be a gigantic shitshow.
Also unlocking the first additional weapon after the free two first ones is 60,000 marks, I can see that taking a long loving time.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Richard M Nixon posted:

You can do a minimal install and download new zones as needed if you're in a shithole with bandwidth caps or something.

I have "unlimited" internet and I try not to push too far because I know there's some bullshit about "unlimited" actually being like 100gb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Dreadwroth posted:

Man they are so bad and lazy the menu still says "Skill Wheel" on it, kill any hope this isn't going to be a gigantic shitshow.
Also unlocking the first additional weapon after the free two first ones is 60,000 marks, I can see that taking a long loving time.

There menu hasn't been changed yet. They have like one guy doing the UI dev and he is rolling out a few changes each phase. There is still a lot of placeholder poo poo though.

60k is a bug that affected some characters, especially those from previous phases. The last accurate numbers i knew were 20k for 2 unlocks, 30k for 2 unlocks, 40k for 2, 60k for 2... not sure after that.

There probably isn't much point in even trying to unlock actives for more than 4 total weapons. Passives absolutely for the Stat boosts. But between weapon mastery and the upgrade system, you'd be gimping yourself pretty hard by trying to use more than 3 or 4 weapons.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 1, 2017