Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

protip: they don't give any sort of warning or message when issuing an ip ban on the discord
lol, you doing your number one superfan bit again? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

lol, you doing your number one superfan bit again? :v:

i asked if there was a way to skip the tutorial this morning, because it's way better than the original game but a bit unneeded after you've done it once

and it devolved from there

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
so did you bump the thread literally to just do your 'god it owns so much that the devs of this game hate me' bit again

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

flatluigi posted:

so did you bump the thread literally to just do your 'god it owns so much that the devs of this game hate me' bit again

no, i dusted it off because dungeons are still really fun and i'd like to get the gang back together and run some

but also make sure you go into windows defender and get the game removed from the quarantine because somehow they got it flagged as a trojan

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Remember running 18s and the boss that bugged out if you did too much DPS so you had to stand around scratching your rear end for a phase change, but the devs crack team never managed to do enough DPS to trigger the bug? I think it was the Something-rather Mother. Good times.

And the time I was in a goon Slaughterhouse NM and had to go to the hospital because I dislocated my knee, but at least we finished the run.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They made her invincible during that phase lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein what's the go to healer build?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
AR Actives: Vital Shot, Leeching Ray, Anima Cannister, Anima Suffusion
Fist Actives: Wild Surge, Feral Regrowth
AR Passives: Bolstering Shot, Synergy, Permeate, Anima Stasis, Anima Dispersal

That plus the Purification Drone gadget works for me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I always forget how much I hate the Egypt zones

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Really? In vanilla TSW I loved the first zone in Egypt because the bottom half is somewhat normal with the town and civilians, and then the northern desert parts have various mysteries that got elaborated on in the DLC missions. And the 2nd zone is pretty cool with hidden secrets and ancient evils, mechanically it had a ton of annoying missions/enemies/areas though.

Did they meaningfully change them for the TSL relaunch?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

A lot of folks just don't like the look of the deserts or the mazelike aspects of the zones. Personally, I quite like the ancient Egyptian motif, so I enjoy the Egypt areas (in spite of the mazes).

IIRC, the big change from TSW to TSL was to incorporate the Last Train to Cairo content into the main storyline mission and make it so the individual missions of LTtC could be replayed by themselves. So no more having to redo the entire mission chain to get the achievement for not getting knocked on your rear end during the train fights.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The first zone is passable and has Ankh but CotSG is just bad. The fact they added the jump pads in to make it more fun to navigate is the devs admitting it

Solomon Island is still the high point imo but since the rewards don't scale it isn't worth the time revisiting which is unfortunate

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I think Tokyo was the only zone that was close to the first 2 levels of the Solomon islands in terms of interesting setting, stories and lore. The desert with Ankh was pretty close. Transylvania was pretty much a let down, I think the only one I enjoyed was the one with the castle and grave yard.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I kind of hate that they put the Last Train content in the middle of main story instead of at the end of Egypt as it was originally. Instead of a sense of finality with whatshisname the Atenist leader he just reappears in the pyramid with a bandaged head.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TracerM17 posted:

I think Tokyo was the only zone that was close to the first 2 levels of the Solomon islands in terms of interesting setting, stories and lore. The desert with Ankh was pretty close. Transylvania was pretty much a let down, I think the only one I enjoyed was the one with the castle and grave yard.

it always felt to me like Transylvania got his real hard by budget problems. it's just kind of there and overall it's firmly okay at best

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Len posted:

it always felt to me like Transylvania got his real hard by budget problems. it's just kind of there and overall it's firmly okay at best

Less budge and more crunch development. The game was implemented mostly in the same order you progress the zones (except city of the sun god, that was a hot mess in beta). Transylvania only had the first zone for the longest time. The second zone was implemented only a few months out from live and was missing a lot of the live content. When the final zone dropped in beta is was a buggy mess and missing quite a bit of the final content. The final zone was dropped so late in beta that I don't remember how much of it I even tested before launch. Probably just the story quest and the dungeon.

Like all MMOs, it could have used another 6 months in the oven. I think the game would have a lot more longevity with that.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

They should have just kept it in Maine or wherever that is and kept expanding on that region. Everywhere else sucks.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

jabro posted:

They should have just kept it in Maine or wherever that is and kept expanding on that region. Everywhere else sucks.
"It's just a zombie apocalypse" is a completely different and much less interesting game tbh

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I like Solomon Island and it's a great tip of the iceberg. There's parts I love about the other zones but if it was just a zombie apocalypse I wouldn't keep going back to this game

I really wish they would just write some books or something because I want to know how the story ends but I get the feeling they don't know how the story ends

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

I like Solomon Island and it's a great tip of the iceberg. There's parts I love about the other zones but if it was just a zombie apocalypse I wouldn't keep going back to this game

I really wish they would just write some books or something because I want to know how the story ends but I get the feeling they don't know how the story ends

My understanding is that before Ragnar Tornquist left he wrote a story bible for Secret World that gave its future direction, so I think they know. Whether it’s ever implemented is another matter.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Pilchenstein posted:

"It's just a zombie apocalypse" is a completely different and much less interesting game tbh

I wish the game had a greater diversity of settings for the first 30 levels. They could add an extra low-level zone taking place before the first one. The zombie apocalypse areas take up a much greater proportion of the game than the way it is marketed

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The first zones have zombies yeah but also: sasquatches, haunted magic school, Legally Not Cthulhu, a Manson spree killer flashback mansion, horrible bug creatures, toxic swamps, a junkyard full of lovely robots, etc.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

macnbc posted:

My understanding is that before Ragnar Tornquist left he wrote a story bible for Secret World that gave its future direction, so I think they know. Whether it’s ever implemented is another matter.

Used to work on it, I've seen snippets, there's lots of ideas but it's not like there's a complete start to finish story with everything written out.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Hey, is anyone getting crashes randomly? It keeps crashing me to desktop with no warning.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Hey, is anyone getting crashes randomly? It keeps crashing me to desktop with no warning.

What directx are you using? If I don't run on the older option it doesn't work

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967102

Doing an LP of this game.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Seeing the LP start, I thought it might be a good time to reinstall the game and see what was updated in the last two years and maybe run through it on a new character.

Fortunately I was saved by this by the game crashing on launch every time I tried it with existing and new characters no matter the Direct X or visual setting.

Thanks for saving me from myself Funcom.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Good luck, I haven't come back for Legends yet so I'll be checking out the LP. Please reconsider doing the dungeons, raids and lairs. A lot of people (me) for whatever reason (bad at the game) don't get around to doing them. An LP could be a good venue to show them off. Judging by other MMO LPs you might even get volunteers to carry or help talk about them if needed.

During the original release, I did the three New England dungeons which were a lot of fun. I think I left off at the Ankh which I keep hearing good things about. For the main story, I finished everything up to the part in Tokyo where you had to grind, after the first large chunk of story. Then I quit for a bit and they flushed everything to restart as Legends.

Hopefully Funcom gets the crashing worked out.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
The dungeons are really easy to solo in story mode, for what it's worth.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lawlicaust posted:

Seeing the LP start, I thought it might be a good time to reinstall the game and see what was updated in the last two years and maybe run through it on a new character.

Fortunately I was saved by this by the game crashing on launch every time I tried it with existing and new characters no matter the Direct X or visual setting.

Thanks for saving me from myself Funcom.

They recently managed to get the installer flagged as a Trojan. Not sure if they got that sorted out yet

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Changing back to DX9, turning off borderless, and not using the maximum possible resolution finally let me launch the game as a small square in the center of my screen.

I think this is the first time I've played it on this computer and monitor. It's still a pretty good looking game in many places.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Is the game like super buggy now?

im trying to play and i crash constantly

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

...now?

I get a crash and the chance to send a bug report every time I try to log out.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I finished 1 quest last night

It took 3 loads before my character even got in the game.

Then i made some sort of portal. Which crashed me.

Then crashed me a 2nd time when i went through it.

Then crashed me a 3rd once i got inside.

It also crashed twice where had to sign out of windows just to get my mouse back.

It was really really bad

I dont remember the game being anywhere near as bad as this

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
That was my experience when trying to play again as well. Changing my DirectX setting helped but I still got some crashes.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The Filth has made it into the game's servers. Obviously, you must infect your computer with a bunch of malware to get the game to work.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hello Sailor posted:

The Filth has made it into the game's servers. Obviously, you must infect your computer with a bunch of malware to get the game to work.

That tracks with the launcher getting flagged as a Trojan

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive downloaded the steam version.

It cant be worse right?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
man, Tokyo is kicking my rear end. I'm a Shotgun/Hammer build with equipment that is at least blue and a purple weapon and I'm struggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
What's your build look like? I cleared Tokyo with shotgun/hammer in tank gear but that was back at launch and they've done the big rebalance since then. You just struggling to kill things quickly enough?