Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I did play XY and Caleb/Serena do seem to be pretty bummed about how easily you own them, but I don't recall them giving up particularly.

I actually felt bad enough about crushing them that I went back and lost on purpose, just to see if there was any alternate dialogue.

There wasn't, of course. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

get that OUT of my face posted:

Is that actually the rationale behind Bug > Dark? I know that there's a reason for every type strength and weakness, and some are less obvious than others. That's awesome if that's the case.

Justice always triumphs over evil -> Kamen Rider is justice -> Bugs defeat dark. It's really not a difficult chain of logic.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I did play XY and Caleb/Serena do seem to be pretty bummed about how easily you own them, but I don't recall them giving up particularly.

They don't quit but they're increasingly unhappy. When you talk to them in the ace trainer village they sound straight-up depressed, moreso after you whomp them yet again (you can do it once a day if you want!).

get that OUT of my face posted:

Is that actually the rationale behind Bug > Dark? I know that there's a reason for every type strength and weakness, and some are less obvious than others. That's awesome if that's the case.

Yeah that's literally the reason, Bug is Kamen Rider: The Type. I remember it a different way that I picked up before discovering tokusatsu though... mosquitos kick the poo poo out of Ethiopia.

Onmi posted:

the other interpretations are your fighting with Wally inspired him to better himself as a trainer and pushed him to go out and see the world, not just living in a safe bubble.

While that's a valid interpretation it's kind of injured by two things: his personality shift towards the end of his mini-arc on the ace trainer island, and he breaks the unwritten rules of the setting by competitively breeding for good mons - the human player is encouraged to do so, but in-universe people who treat their Pokemon like that tend to be seriously looked down on, and it's a pretty huge thing in a game that is all about loving Pokemon (Aqua/Magma's entire plan is centered on being misguided about this, discarded constructions were repurposed as Pokemon habitats, and so on).

Onmi posted:

Also Cheren is one of your childhood friends, he's absolutely NOT antagonistic towards the protagonist.

He's pretty antagonistic, albeit in a different way than Blue is - Blue is loudly arrogant, Cheren is quiet but tends to look down his nose a bit (or a lot, where Bianca is concerned). Similarly to Silver, it takes a high-ranking trainer throwing poo poo back in his face to make him realise that maybe the reason he's been getting wrecked is because his attitude is the problem, rather than his skill. Cheren is more like that friend everybody had who absolutely had to be the best at whatever it was, and when he takes an objective loss he clearly doesn't like it. As you say, though, that's less important to him than backing up his friends, so he works with you on and off throughout the game - his personality is antagonistic (as in, he antagonizes the protagonist repeatedly... and about 80% of what he says to Bianca is passive-aggressive at best), but once he pulls his head out of his rear end he's a great guy. In broad strokes, he's actually pretty similar to Silver, and you see similar characters crop up periodically in the anime as well.
Mind you I never got around to playing BW2 so I don't know what he's like as a Gym Leader but I imagine he's Norman Mark II.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ace of Aces posted:

He's pretty antagonistic, albeit in a different way than Blue is - Blue is loudly arrogant, Cheren is quiet but tends to look down his nose a bit (or a lot, where Bianca is concerned). Similarly to Silver, it takes a high-ranking trainer throwing poo poo back in his face to make him realise that maybe the reason he's been getting wrecked is because his attitude is the problem, rather than his skill. Cheren is more like that friend everybody had who absolutely had to be the best at whatever it was, and when he takes an objective loss he clearly doesn't like it. As you say, though, that's less important to him than backing up his friends, so he works with you on and off throughout the game - his personality is antagonistic (as in, he antagonizes the protagonist repeatedly... and about 80% of what he says to Bianca is passive-aggressive at best), but once he pulls his head out of his rear end he's a great guy. In broad strokes, he's actually pretty similar to Silver, and you see similar characters crop up periodically in the anime as well.
Mind you I never got around to playing BW2 so I don't know what he's like as a Gym Leader but I imagine he's Norman Mark II.

My view of Cheren in BW2 is that he's basically trying to pay forward the good advice he got. He teaches at a trainer school, and the way he talks about being a Gym Leader suggests he sees it as a job where he can spur on new trainers. While he tries to be motivating and inspirational what's interesting is that he's still a bit prickly. For instance when you call him out to the world tournament he gripes a little bit about being interrupted and called out, but decides he wants to enter anways. Similarly if you take him on the Ferris Wheel he comes across as kind of stodgy but lightens up a little bit while riding it. Nonetheless he seems really enthusiastic about battles win or lose, and does seem generally more positive about his role. He fully embraces the fact that his job as a Gym Leader is to lose to worthy challengers, and I think that's a pretty big step.

From where I'm sitting Cheren is trying to fake it till he makes it. He really wants to be for others what Alder was for him, but he's not quite there yet. I think if Cheren randomly popped up in Ultra SuMo he'd have probably gotten to where he was trying to go, but it's kind of interesting that Pokemon showed Cheren struggling to really put the life lesson into action.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Ace of Aces posted:

mosquitos kick the poo poo out of Ethiopia

:yikes:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

:stare:

Sounds like a Trainer Tip you'd find in Pokemon Clover.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:yikes:

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I don't know where the gently caress I read it but it's so wrong on so many levels that it stuck in my head.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That doesn't mean you had to share it.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Jesus, I was about to comment about the update, but...jesus man. There are some lines we don't cross. Doesn't mean I don't toe the line from time to time...but yeesh.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I want to know why Ethiopia specifically and not just Africa

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

GeneX posted:

I want to know why Ethiopia specifically and not just Africa

I don't know, I just read it and it stuck because it's so insane.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
More accurate = more edgy I guess. World is a gently caress after all.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Ace of Aces posted:

I don't know, I just read it and it stuck because it's so insane.

Probably wasn't necessary to share it

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If there's anyplace to share edgelord hot takes on Pokemon, it's here.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think y'all might be overreacting to an unfunny joke about malaria in Africa

Maybe just a bit

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Let them get it out of their systems, it's either here or in D&D

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Let them get it out of their systems, it's either here or in CSPAM

ftfy

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"

Music: Obsidia Ward

Now that we've beaten the PULSE Tangrowth, all the vines and cut trees disappear from the Obsidia Ward.

First, let's go to this alleyway. The entrance was blocked by a cut tree earlier, which means we could've technically gone here right before fighting the PULSE Tangrowth, or if we've did some trading trickery, right after beating Julia and one or more trainers at the Opal Bridge.

There are some trainers here, but screw them, we got more important things, like finding Pokemans.

Lot's of different Pokemon come and hang out in this alley. Like, did you know there's a family of Plusle and Minun living right behind me? They're really shy so it's hard to coax them out unless you have food...

Stepping on this tile randomly spawns a Plusle or Minun we can obtain by giving them a Pokesnax. This event resets when you exit the alley. So you can get as many of these as you want.

At night there's these two alpha dogs picking on a beta.

Music: Trainer Battle (Original Hoenn Gym Leader Battle remix)

Meet the doggos from hell. Since I didn't pick up any Fighting-types at this point, we'll have to do things the hard way.

Beating those two grants us an electric dog. If you want to savescum for a good dog, please bring some Fighting-types from the slums or just cheese them with Perish Song.

If you come here while it's not nighttime, you can find this fella instead.

*munch munch munch* ...Leo--? Litleo!?

Litleo got spooked and ran off!

You will find the Litleo in this house. Attempting to talk to it makes it run down those stairs into another part of the Underground Railnet.

Chasing it down here forces us into a battle with this rear end in a top hat.

This is the MECHANIGHTMARE.

This is the MECHANIGHTMARE's stats. Thanks to its unreasonably high level, it's not only more powerful initially than the PULSE Tangrowth, it's also more durable.

This was from a single Mirror Shot while Light Screen was active.

On top of that, this thing is immune to both poison and stat changes, which means we'll have to cheese this thing in order to beat it at this point.

It can attack with either Mirror Shot or two attacking moves. One way of beating it without something like Bide, or Perish Song is to drain its 10 PP for Mirror Shot, and still have one Electric-immune Pokemon left over, at which point it will be unable to damage you and you can kill it slowly but surely.

You can also do this.

Music: Normal Victory (GlitchxCity's Gym Leader Victory Remix)

This Litleo only has a natural Level 18 moveset, not worth fighting this thing for.

In an earlier version the reward was more worthy of such bullshit. IIRC it was a Vulpix that could've had the Drought ability.

The Obsidia Park has random encounters, as indicated by the telltale patches of grass.

We can find a seemingly empty building here in the Park. This will be important later for the wrong reasons.

The park houses Sentrets. We'll need to catch and evolve one of those for a thing.

We can trade it for this Castform here. Meh.

We can also find Sunflora in the Obsidia Park, but not its pre-evo.

Which reminds me. There's this Daycare Center over here. Maybe we can breed up a Sunkern for shits and gigg-

...or not. :smith:

You're supposed to pester these obvious fakes by alternating between talking to the old lady and the old man.

Eventually they'll give up pretending and try to beat us up, to no avail.

It's no use anyway, we hid those useful idiots very far away, and hid the key to their holding place farther away. You'd best give up on them now! We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Exposing the fake daycare couple silently spawns a key here in this previous empty building in the Obsidia Park. Like the Meteor Grunts planning to steal the Igglybuff earlier, this is another case where a building is absolutely empty until you trip some flags.

There's also this Spoink. It only appears here from 6 PM to 8 PM, and is actually somewhat relevant to our Daycare sidequest.

Music: Coral Ward

Back in the Coral Ward, we can use our newfound key on these warehouses. The bad news is that it doesn't work on this warehouse.

The good news is that it works on the rest of these warehouses.

Even better is that the Daycare Couple are saved and the Daycare is now available! :unsmith:

Nothing left there on that warehouse, so let's move on to this warehouse.

Nothing here, since this grunt already transferred all the stolen Pokemon (including a Ditto hint hint) somewhere else.

I guess that's it for that. Let's see what's in here.

Nothing here but a Sea Incense and the Spoink. From the grunt's dialogue earlier I suppose this was the Pokemon that escaped from those stolen by the fake couple, which implies that this was somebody else's Spoink, but here it's considered wild and thus officially ours once we obtain it. :thunk:

In the Coral Ward, we can find this Ultra Potion. It heals 120 HP because a Hyper Potion's 200 HP is too OP for us.

And even then it's so OP we're supposed to give it to this kid in exchange for a Skitty because the kid is too stubborn to take it to the Pokemon Center, which is right beside their house. Really.

Said Skitty also has a quirk. If you accept the grandma's initial request to take the Skitty, it starts at Level 20 with Wish, Zen Headbutt, or Sucker Punch.

You can decline the initial request to take the Skitty, and then take it later. If you do, it reverts to Level 15 with an all-natural moveset.

Scripting!

There's this blind girl who, to say the least, is really insecure about her disability and will constantly berate us for thinking we're better than her even though we can't say anything, being Pokemon protagonists.

She gives us three questions based on where we've been up to this point, the third of which basically requires you to have dev knowledge of what constitutes an 'individual' machine in the Peridot Gym's front area and thus figure out that there are 23 of them there.

She also berates us and thinks we're the blind one if we miss any of them, even though it's not a matter of seeing them, miss, it's keeping them in my head.

Here's the whole dialogue tree, if you want to see how much :smug: she can exert.

She gives us the Misty Terrain information if we fully pass the test. I've already covered the Misty Terrain earlier, so I'll just put everything in this gif link.

When it's mildly raining (not heavy rain or thunderstorming) and you have a ScoobyPokeSnax, you can give a snack to this Lotad. It has nothing special move-wise, though.

We're done with the Coral Ward for right now. Our next goal is to reunite this boy with his mom back in the Obsidia Ward. Just talking to this kid is enough to convince his mom you've found him.

She gives you an Ability Capsule. While hidden abilities are considered normal abilities, they don't give you a choice for Pokemon with 3 potential abilities. They instead just 'rotate' the current ability. So a Blitzle with Motor Drive will need 2 Ability Capsules to rotate to Lightningrod.

:effort:

Now it's time to visit this salon right by where we found the kid. Normally we can pay up $2000 to raise a Pokemon's happiness via grooming it. However...

We can interfere in the capitalist system and help this salon get its customers back from the dastardly Central Salon.

The event flag that allows you to tell the Glamazonia owner(?) about the lower ($1500) price doesn't trigger here unless you've already been told to come here, and in fact if you've already gotten somebody groomed here recently, you'll be unable to set that flag until the game allows you to use the Central Salon again.

Scripting! Again!

There's also this woman that measures your Pokemon's happiness.

These two messages I'm showing are for Pokemon with 220 happiness or greater, which is relevant because...

Apparently Reborn is so terrible (big shocker, right) that this woman can't think of a single instance of anybody giving a poo poo about their Pokemon.

We need to break her cynicism with a Pokemon with 220 happiness or greater in order to get a Soothe Bell from her.

We get a Glameow for contributing to the capitalist system.

Whichever one you pick will always have the natural Level 20 moves, so blah.

True to RPG form they reduced the grooming price literally as soon as we did that sidequest. :capitalism:

Music: Atmosphere - High Energy (Sinnoh Game Corner Remix)

Here's our next stop.

chance at a fantastic prize? (Yes/No) Excellent! All you have to do is arrange the tiles to form the proper picture. Rotate the tiles using Shift, and move them with the selection key.

It's a Ruins of Alph puzzle.

There's a difference between the unfinished picture on the left (with the cursor) and the finished picture on the right (without the cursor). Guess what it is.

If you guessed right, a Swirlix is your reward. You can also get an unlimited number of these by exiting the store, which resets this flag and you can then do the puzzle again (which you already know the answer to) to get another Swirlix.

Scripting! Again!

Surprisingly enough, Rare Candies can be bought here. They can also be sold for $10000 because of their high price due to how selling works in Pokemon.

The cheaper candies in that list are all expensive status heal items that apparently boost friendship when used.

any money... ...Hey... Is that Chocolate Ice Cream you have there? Hey... Could I have it? Pretty please? (Yes/No) Yayyy! Thank you, thank you tons! Imma go eat it outside, 'kay? Bye-bye!

If you're wondering where I got that Chocolate Ice Cream, I got it the only way possible at this point:

I got it from Pickup. :v:

Ice cream are this fangame's version of the drinks from the official games.

Vanilla Ice Cream heals for 30 HP.

Chocolate Ice Cream heals for 70 HP.

StrawBerry Ice Cream heals for 90 HP.

Why does the 'Vanilla Ice Cream' cost so much for so little gain?

Still not worth the $1000.

That's more appropriate.

Next up, the Department Store. So soon, yes, but there's a stupid catch. Basically to access each and every floor beyond the second, we need to collect stickers from staff members and random strangers.

Presumably this is to preserve their 'limited stock' to their 'most loyal customers'. Problem is, their system basically encourage you to steal from other 'loyal' members and not actually shop at their store at all. That seems the opposite of 'loyal' to me.

:capitalism:

When its heavily raining (but not thunderstorming), you can find these Hoppip flying around the left entrance to the slums.

They can have the Grassy Terrain move, which generates another canon terrain that got 'improved' for Pokemon Reborn. I'll just pit in the details in this gif link:

While we're nearby the slums, we can demonstrate a demonstrate a glitch in said slums. Remember this movable box?

The diagonal stairs used in Reborn don't function normally. The function as normal tiles unless you're pushing against the edges, in which the edges' event tiles push you diagonally.

Well, in this pic, I'm actually stuck. I can pull up the menu, but I can't move since I'm in the event attempting to push me diagonally but can't because the box is in the way.

If you've saved here and didn't have an Escape Rope or anything to get out of here, you're stuck here.

Oh, and if you've went in from the left entrance here, than nothing can save you at this point. Even when you escape with the Escape Rope, the game still attempts to do the 'diagonal walk' event but can't because the wall is in the way.

:suicide:

Thankfully this game has a backup system or there will be hell to pay.

On the topic of glitches, here's another one.

The South and Mid sections of the Obsidia Ward share a section of the map with each other. Turns out the 'Potion' the Itemfinder is seeking is in both maps, but only reachable in the upper map. Therefore, when we collect it there, the copy in the south map still exists, just unreachable and disappears when we load the upper map.

Let's go into this building by the slums.

So we need to chase this pupper.

It hides in five places, all throughout the places we've been up to this point, from the Coral Ward all the way back to the North Peridot Ward.

We need to find it in two of these five places, of which it picks at random, in order for it to run to the Onyx Ward for the last part of the sidequest.

Music: Onyx Ward
Map of the Onyx Ward

There we can find the pup and its owner pooped out on the side here.

Bleh.

For exposing the fake Daycare Couple, we get an egg that either hatches to a Cacnea or a Seel. Perish Song is nice, but Seel/Dewgong isn't quite as tanky as Wigglytuff.

To the right of that is the Move Tutor's house. Too bad it's locked.

Oh, dear, oh, dear... I lost the key to my home. I must've dropped it somewhere, but where? I'll keep looking... I have to find it.

It's also bad that the Move Tutor standing next to us can't help us for some reason.

Music: Atmosphere - High Energy (Sinnoh Game Corner Remix)

To the right of that is the Game Corner Onyx Arcade. We don't have a Coin Case yet, but since we're getting that next update, and that the ever exploitable Voltorb Flip game is here too...

Let's scam them with a bunch of fake coins. The TMs are okay, but the Pokemon are meh to useless.

I see the developers' egos are starting to show.

Next time: The gym. Compared to the overleveled MECHANIGHTMARE and the PULSE Tangrowth, how bad can it be?

Music: To Greater Heights (Slowed Down)

Apparently really bad, according to that music.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Misc:

List of all Pokemon we can find right now.

Map of the Obsidia/Onyx/Coral area

Map of all the Wards we've encoutnered at this point

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

New Music:

Atmosphere - High Energy (Sinnoh Game Corner Remix)

Onyx Ward

To Greater Heights (GlitchxCity's Mystery Dungeon Sky Tower Remix)
Slowed down version used in the Onyx Gym Trainer's School / Version used in Julia's gym

Old Music:

Trainer Battle (Original Hoenn Gym Leader Battle remix)

Normal Victory (GlitchxCity's Gym Leader Victory Remix)

Obsidia Ward

Coral Ward

Atmosphere - Dark Crystal (GlitchxCity's Mt. Coronet Remix v.II)
(Slowed-down version used in Obsidia Slums) (Original version)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I still have no idea what they were thinking with POKEMON MECHANIGHTMARE. Beyond being dumb, that's a completely unique Klingklang sprite for the "trainer", a weird amount of effort considering every other Pokemon-trainer just used their normal sprite.

Also, can you put the text people say as something other than gifs? It makes reading them rather hard, at least for me. Either multiple images or just having it written would be easier than having to read at the gif's speed.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I am somehow unsurprised that they almost immediately throw something even harder than the completely overpowered PULSE Tangrowth at you, nor that the prize for killing it was *once* worth it but now just a waste of time.

Or that the game corner is a pale shell of the usual rewards (Substitute and Facade are good and worth the effort, but nothing else).

This game doesn't want the player to have fun, doesn't it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also, can you put the text people say as something other than gifs? It makes reading them rather hard, at least for me. Either multiple images or just having it written would be easier than having to read at the gif's speed.

This. There were multiple times I had to go through the entire gif loop two or three times because I wasn't reading fast enough.

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012

the Orb of Zot posted:

I am somehow unsurprised that they almost immediately throw something even harder than the completely overpowered PULSE Tangrowth at you, nor that the prize for killing it was *once* worth it but now just a waste of time.

Or that the game corner is a pale shell of the usual rewards (Substitute and Facade are good and worth the effort, but nothing else).

I think the dev's had a strange idea of what fun is. They had an interesting idea in the various terrains and events, but didn't put enough thought in how the game felt when compared to any Pokemon game really.
They were so busy seeing if it could be done,If they could make it challenging enough, that they didn't put enough time into whether it should be done. As a result we get this mess, a Pokemon game that feels less and less like one as you play it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

the Orb of Zot posted:

Fun is for children and scrubs. Pokemon Reborn is for true Pokemon fans :smug:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's telling that each plot beat is separated by tons of sidequests. The real games have a lot more restraint, and as a result you don't get this feeling of "what should I be doing now, anyway?".

Where are we even supposed to go now that we've beaten PULSE Tangrowth? Hell if I know. The game might have hinted at it once but it got immediately buried under :words: and new sidequests. Being stuck in this huge-yet-samey city isn't helping, either.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
God I'm super down for the idea of a Pokemon game full of sidequests to get more Pokemon. Though I guess that was kind of a Colosseum idea first. It's too bad that nothing else about this seems remotely good or fun. Nothing sucks more than wasted talent.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Considering this has the standard hipster dialogue attached to it I'm fairly sure this is intended to be self-effacing.

Not that the rest of the update isn't why, especially the tree glitches, but I'm pretty sure that one is actually a joke.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think I'm getting old, because I actually had to look up Swirlix to see if it wasn't a Pokemon the game made up.

shroomich
Apr 2, 2014

Bydoless posted:

Nothing here, since this grunt already transferred all the stolen Pokemon (including a Ditto hint hint) somewhere else.

There actually is a pokemon in here:

It's partially hidden behind the foreground.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The developers of Reborn sure are proud of their pain-in-the-rear end "chase the Pokemon" events. Is that Litleo available if you come back with properly-leveled Pokemon, or is it only available at this point in the game?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I hate that this is all set in one city so we don't loving know where we're going, what our goal is, or how close we are. Just loving doing random poo poo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Waffleman_ posted:

I hate that this is all set in one city so we don't loving know where we're going, what our goal is, or how close we are. Just loving doing random poo poo.

It didn't even occur to me that we haven't even gotten out of the first city yet. This game's pacing already seems like a mess. :psyduck:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

EDIT: Nevermind, I can't read words. :v:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It really looks like they don't know how to lead the player with natural game design.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"

shroomich posted:

There actually is a pokemon in here:

It's partially hidden behind the foreground.

Ah, so it is.

Waffleman_ posted:

I guess the bright side is that we can technically go to the Onyx Ward and its gym right after beating the PULSE Tangrowth.

The bad news is that you'd be looking for better Pokemon everywhere and the game just won't give them to you.

Problem is that this game prioritizes collecting as many Pokemon as possible through side quests, and yet attempts to up the difficulty by limiting the ones you can get.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
You know, the idea of getting most of your Pokemon via side quests or something isn't an inherently awful idea, I think? It's kind of neat or different but... given Reborn's awful balancing and all...
I mean, I guess so far, at least I can say Reborn wasn't stupid enough to lock Berries behind the postgame at least? Smallest of silver linings!

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Waffleman_ posted:

I think I'm getting old, because I actually had to look up Swirlix to see if it wasn't a Pokemon the game made up.

Same but Litleo. Though both are too cute to have been made up by the people who made Pokemon Reborn.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It didn't even occur to me that we haven't even gotten out of the first city yet. This game's pacing already seems like a mess. :psyduck:

I thought the entire game was different districts of this one city?

Aithon fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 3, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's mostly the Gen 6 Pokemon I'm fuzzy on, since I barely touched XY.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

krisslanza posted:

You know, the idea of getting most of your Pokemon via side quests or something isn't an inherently awful idea, I think? It's kind of neat or different but... given Reborn's awful balancing and all...
I mean, I guess so far, at least I can say Reborn wasn't stupid enough to lock Berries behind the postgame at least? Smallest of silver linings!

I feel like it's a great way to flesh out the roster without having to bloat wild zones. Like let's face it you probably aren't gonna be grinding a grass patch for a perfect IV Skitty in the near future, so it's nice to just get a freebie with maybe a cool attack instead of having to wade through 50 of them when you're maybe trying to find a Machop or something. POINT IS in a more balanced game it'd actually be really good and also it doesn't bog the game down too much unless you're trying to get literally all of them.

Of couse, in this game there's a lot of 'you only get one' situations so not only is the get them all a moot point here, but in addition to that you have to specialize your team so much that the variety is also worthless because without certain strategies you just will not win the game. It's unfortunate that in a game with such a razor-thin margin for error in major encounters, so many quest mons just bloat the game in a way that does little for the player (and I know I said POINT IS already then started another tangent but here we are).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

They did actually nerf hyper potions in sun/moon, didn't they?

• Locked thread