Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Eh, I thought their design was really plain and uninspired, in addition to their lack of viability beyond the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, the problem with Pansear is that Gen IV already had a much better fire monkey who references Journey to the West. You can't beat that with any ordinary fire monkey. And all three of them are just red monkey, blue monkey, and green broccoli-head monkey. Pansage is the most interesting of them, and that's not saying much.

They had a trio of monkeys, they could have at least referenced the whole "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" bit with them or done something.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

IIRC, their evolved forms' sprites do make that reference, yes, but it's been forever since I've played B/W.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ChrisBTY posted:

It's an outcropping of diehard fans wanting to make games more geared to 'adult' sensibilities.
I mean even if I don't agree with it, I get it. No 20-something wants to make a fangame for 10 year olds (unless they love kids I guess).
Unfortunately none of them seem to know where 'Adult' ends and 'Grimdark edgy bullshit' begins.
And I mean 'society where open dogfighting in the streets is not only allowed, but encouraged' is fertile ground for that sort of thing.

I'm nearing 30 and have always thought W40K GRIMDARK poo poo was already excessively tryhard. Gen 7 Pokemon and Witcher 3 have their share of dark elements but they did it with so much more class.

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

Onmi posted:

In case people think edgy, tryhard poo poo like Reborn is an oddity in Pokemon Fangames

No, people still don't get it.

War. War never changes.

What is it with Pokemon fangames and crossing the "visible death" line? Death is very much a fact of life in the games, but it's rare that you physically see it happen. Putting in visible death is like donning a dunce cap.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

They had a trio of monkeys, they could have at least referenced the whole "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" bit with them or done something.

You haven't seen their official art, I take it.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Miliardo posted:

War. War never changes.

What is it with Pokemon fangames and crossing the "visible death" line? Death is very much a fact of life in the games, but it's rare that you physically see it happen. Putting in visible death is like donning a dunce cap.

I came upon this realization that maybe these people all heard of or read those manga that were Pokemon but like they had a bunch of Pokemon killing people and other Pokemon and whatnot? I have no idea myself cause all I ever hear about it are things that people mention on these forums, or little snippets that show up on Bulbapedia articles occasionally.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I liked my broccoli monkey, but also it was a drat pain to keep her unevolved until level 40s just so she'd keep learning moves.

On Reborn, that blind NPC... As a slighted person I don't feel that I have much room to criticize the writing, but it does make me wonder if she's written from any kind of personal experience, or if she's just someone's idea of what a blind character should act like. Mostly I think the latter would just tie into the worries I have with ZEL, that characters from all different lives are being included, but not necessarily in a way that respects them or any players like them. (Opinion subject to change, pending on any future blind characters that give more variety in portrayal.)

Randalor posted:

Didn't the second set of Mystery Dungeon games have things like someone building up your trust the entire game, just to stab you in the back, the complete destruction of time, and someone encouraging the main character to commit suicide? I mean, just saying, if done properly, you can get dark as gently caress, and still be an entertaining story that fits in with pokemon.

Yeah, Explorers definitely reached a dark place, especially once the player character's own mortality became a topic. One good thing Explorers has for it is that it doesn't throw the audience into the deep end right at the beginning. It lets the player get familiar with the world first as the threat level gradually builds up: You start out just busting petty criminals (and one kidnapper) in between guild missions, while hearing the occasional hint of even greater criminal causing localized disasters. You aren't just crushed all at once at the start by the weight of what's at stake.

The other thing is, the game doesn't get gratuitous with its grim moments. There is definitely some angst, but there isn't, for example, a scene where your partner tries to hurt or kill themself after hearing that whole "die for the greater good" thing, something I'm almost certain would be in a fan's retelling of the same story. Similarly, the Rescue Team games have a long section where everyone thinks that the player character's existence put curse on the land, and you run away as a fugitive past the natural disasters that they blame on you. And yet even when the bounty hunters catch up to you, there's no extended scene of them talking about how terrible your death will be.

From what I can remember of the first two PMD series (I haven't played the others), you're only given as much grittiness as needed to progress the story or the character arcs, and you aren't shown much violence on-screen - the most I can think of is that one Sableye scene in Explorers. Compare to CURIE in Uranium, who just cannot shut up about death and suffering and how much they want to see other people in pain.

I can understand why the writer of a romhack or other fanwork might want to take advantage of the lack of restrictions to bend the setting a little. Say a curse word or two, or make a more explicit reference to something that'd only be vaguely implied at most in an official game. But I do think that once you get to the point where you're including train bombings, terrorism, and turtle-powered torture, you may want to reconsider if Pokemon is the best medium to tell that story. And based on contextless things I've heard about Reborn, it's... certainly going to be a ride.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 10, 2017

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think the big weakness of the grimdark story is having to watch it play out right there on screen with the original Pokemon sprites. You could probably get away with it if it was a fanfic or something where most of the gorier details are left up to your imagination, you might just about pull it off in a fancomic with a good enough drawing style, but seeing it on screen juxtaposed with the cutesy Pokemon sprites just makes it comical.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PassingPie posted:

You haven't seen their official art, I take it.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

This always seemed stretching it, especially considering Pansage is just happily having its mouth open and nothing else about the concept carries through to them

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

rannum posted:

This always seemed stretching it, especially considering Pansage is just happily having its mouth open and nothing else about the concept carries through to them

Yeah, it always felt like they started to make the reference, got as far as 'focus on eyes/mouth/ears' and then just... stopped.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MiracleFlare posted:

From what I can remember of the first two PMD series (I haven't played the others), you're only given as much grittiness as needed to progress the story or the character arcs, and you aren't shown much violence on-screen - the most I can think of is that one Sableye scene in Explorers. Compare to CURIE in Uranium, who just cannot shut up about death and suffering and how much they want to see other people in pain.
In Gates to Infinity, you get the utter crap beaten out of you by Kyurem and the beating goes on for quite a while

There's also the fact other humans were called and were hunted down and killed by the villain of the game

I have not played Super Mystery Dungeon so I don't know how dark it gets aside from petrification by Yveltal being involved

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DemonTrigger posted:

I came upon this realization that maybe these people all heard of or read those manga that were Pokemon but like they had a bunch of Pokemon killing people and other Pokemon and whatnot? I have no idea myself cause all I ever hear about it are things that people mention on these forums, or little snippets that show up on Bulbapedia articles occasionally.

Pokemon Special sounds closest and... isn't anything like that? Like it's very much still Pokemon.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

MiracleFlare posted:

Similarly, the Rescue Team games have a long section where everyone thinks that the player character's existence put curse on the land, and you run away as a fugitive past the natural disasters that they blame on you. And yet even when the bounty hunters catch up to you, there's no extended scene of them talking about how terrible your death will be.

Additionally, they don't gloat about having found you, they're apologetic about the whole thing but say that they have to carry through with their actions if it means that it will prevent suffering, and immediately back off and are pleased when you're revealed to not be the cause for all the trouble going on. They were a sympathetic enemy (much like most/all enemies in Pokemon games) which ended up being a strong theme overall in the game itself especially with the actual "villain" ending up as a secret hero.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Onmi posted:

Pokemon Special sounds closest and... isn't anything like that? Like it's very much still Pokemon.

:v: Most of these people probably only know of scenes like this, or the one where an Arbok totally gets chopped in half, man! That pokemon got MURDERED!

(That pokemon did not get murdered)

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

:v: Most of these people probably only know of scenes like this, or the one where an Arbok totally gets chopped in half, man! That pokemon got MURDERED!

From what I have seen, Pokemon Special does have its more dark moments, but they're probably more stand-out moments instead of the norm. Which might be an issue people doing 'grimdark' stuff run into, is trying to make everything grimdark, all the time, instead of just trying to dole out the moments when appropriate.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, like "Gasp! All the gym leaders have been defeated and strung up by Team Plasma!" And on the other hand.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Eh, I thought their design was really plain and uninspired, in addition to their lack of viability beyond the early game.

There's a reason that they were the least popular Pokemon when a popularity ranking was done. I believe Pansear was ranked dead last with 1 vote.

Edot: I'm wrong. It's Simisear in dead last, but unknown number of votes

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 10, 2017

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Xelkelvos posted:

There's a reason that they were the least popular Pokemon when a popularity ranking was done. I believe Pansear was ranked dead last with 1 vote.

Edot: I'm wrong. It's Simisear in dead last, but unknown number of votes

That was a biased poll though. It was Japan-only, and the Pokemon that won the whole thing was going to get a special event version released.

Most people weren't voting for their favorites, they were voting for rare and harder to obtain legendaries.

EDIT: https://www.polygon.com/2016/6/7/11878224/most-popular-pokemon-top-100-list

Granted, Greninja is still in first place. :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexie posted:

That was a biased poll though. It was Japan-only, and the Pokemon that won the whole thing was going to get a special event version released.

Most people weren't voting for their favorites, they were voting for rare and harder to obtain legendaries.

EDIT: https://www.polygon.com/2016/6/7/11878224/most-popular-pokemon-top-100-list

Granted, Greninja is still in first place. :v:

It's a web poll too so it's even more biased :v:

Chances are, most of those types of votes were isolated to the to the very high spots and even then, there wasn't enough to push perennial favorites down like Pikachu, Charizard, Eevee and Magnemite (of all things?). Then there's the fact that some of the legendaries are genuinely likable outside of their stats like the robot bug with a canon on its back, the green serpent dragon, the OG psychic legendary.

If there was US voting, I'd imagine there'd be a lot more strategic voting since I assume the competitive scene is larger here, but it might also be offset by the existence of non-competitive/non-collector fans assuming the ratio between the two groups is different.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Magnemite is there because of his use in Black 2/White 2. He's became sort of a Japanese meme based on that.

quote:

In Generation V, Magnemite was the most traded Pokémon on the GTS. This is probably due to what is known as the Magnemite chain/coil: a scheme by which players could increase the number of visitors to their Join Avenue in Black 2 and White 2 by trading Magnemite on the GTS. The scheme originated with Japanese players and became popular worldwide.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexie posted:

Magnemite is there because of his use in Black 2/White 2. He's became sort of a Japanese meme based on that.

It's always memes isn't it? If this was held in the US, I'm sure Bidoof, Mudkip and whatever 4chan picks as its meme rep would score far higher than they should.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's always memes isn't it? If this was held in the US, I'm sure Bidoof, Mudkip and whatever 4chan picks as its meme rep would score far higher than they should.

Finally, Tentaquil gets its moment in the spotlight.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Xelkelvos posted:

Magnemite (of all things?)

Hey, don't be dissing my adorable orb magnet child

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vinylshadow posted:

I have not played Super Mystery Dungeon so I don't know how dark it gets aside from petrification by Yveltal being involved
It's not super dark, especially since the 'deaths' involved are the turned-to-stone type and get reversed by the end.

It's also kind of a rehash of Gates to Infinity's plot, but it was so much more fun to play that I didn't really mind

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Palladium posted:

I'm nearing 30 and have always thought W40K GRIMDARK poo poo was already excessively tryhard. Gen 7 Pokemon and Witcher 3 have their share of dark elements but they did it with so much more class.

40K style GRIMDARK WAR is great because 40K itself is so over the top and ridiculous (see: everything about the Orks, and the Eldar literally partying so hard that they birthed a god of hedonism). Every fangame trying to copy it plays that poo poo completely seriously and is terrible.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Schubalts posted:

40K style GRIMDARK WAR is great because 40K itself is so over the top and ridiculous (see: everything about the Orks, and the Eldar literally partying so hard that they birthed a god of hedonism). Every fangame trying to copy it plays that poo poo completely seriously and is terrible.

See also Judge Dredd being satire.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schubalts posted:

And even 40K sometimes realizes that it needs to turn things down if it wants people to treat the drama seriously.

(See: The Gaunt's Ghosts novels, following the adventures of a Commissar who doesn't like murdering his men, a guard regiment with only one total murderous psychopath, and an Imperial Guard that mostly doesn't murder civilians for the crime of happening to live on a planet when Chaos visits.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

And even 40K sometimes realizes that it needs to turn things down if it wants people to treat the drama seriously.

(See: The Gaunt's Ghosts novels, following the adventures of a Commissar who doesn't like murdering his men, a guard regiment with only one total murderous psychopath, and an Imperial Guard that mostly doesn't murder civilians for the crime of happening to live on a planet when Chaos visits.)

And on the other end of the Spectrum Ciaphas Cain, the story of a cowardly commissar who straddles the line between self-serving manipulation and genuine heroism in his attempt to survive the 41st millennium. Ignoring that 40k was initially made as a parody, after people complained about the dark setting of WHFB

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Onmi posted:

And on the other end of the Spectrum Ciaphas Cain, the story of a cowardly commissar who straddles the line between self-serving manipulation and genuine heroism in his attempt to survive the 41st millennium. Ignoring that 40k was initially made as a parody, after people complained about the dark setting of WHFB

It's almost like if a parody isn't explicitly funny you have to point out that it's a parody.
I mean you'd think that the Orks being.... Orks that it should have been obvious but nope Poe's law in effect.

edit: That comes out dumb, basically people don't get that someone is a parody unless it's explicitly funny. People just have a tendency to approach entertainment in shallow ways.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 11, 2017

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

A member of Reborn's forums made a game called Pokemon Rejuvenation . While some (Including myself) consider it better than Reborn, it kind of has some of the same problems. (Trying to be Pokemon The Grandmaster, for example). I'm thinking it might be a "fun" side LP.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

The man called M posted:

A member of Reborn's forums made a game called Pokemon Rejuvenation . While some (Including myself) consider it better than Reborn, it kind of has some of the same problems. (Trying to be Pokemon The Grandmaster, for example). I'm thinking it might be a "fun" side LP.

Which problems? I see it's got the terrain system and the storyline doesn't look super promising.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The man called M posted:

Bydoless posted:

So you're saying this game is unfinished, then?
Yes.

However, once we're done with Reborn, we'll cover an even worse unfinished fangame inspired by this one: Pokemon Rejuventation.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I don't know whether to dread or to look forward to that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Reborn is already quite a bit worse than Uranium in every way, so by the time this is finished and I can appreciate the full gravity of how awful this is, I'll probably be hungry for more.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Kurui Reiten posted:

I've been trying to think of how you could possibly make a "darker" Pokemon game, without going super grimdark.

The closest to an actual darker Pokemon game that isn't fan made edgy trash made by unaware people is Pokemon Colosseum and it's sorta-sequel Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness.
You know the game with SHADOW LUGIA and the core mechanic was stealing Pokemon from the villains, which said pokemon the villains themselves stole and brainwashed, and making them good again.
You might also remember that Coliseum's protagonist looked like a Yugioh character thus cementing the whole "Darker and edgier" thing, which is ruined by the protagonist in XD looking like a digimon character with a dumb thing on his arm, but hey despite that the ideas were still present and executed way better than what fans keep churning out.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If you want a darker pokemon game, play Explorers of Sky

Ya know, where you're encouraged to kill yourself, children are kidnapped and fall into endless nightmares where their own friends attack them, see a world paralyzed in infinite darkness, time itself is being destroyed, you're captured and sentenced to be executed and a myriad of other fantastic ideas for a pokemon game

For kids!

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"

:rimshot:

Music: To Greater Heights (Slowed Down)

But see, I know you, Enoby. You don't deserve to challenge her. You're not good enough. And I'm not going to let you. Trey, go tell the other kids not to let Enoby in. Skye, go hit the switch for the gate.

*The other kids leave to the right*

Maybe you don't understand why I'm doing this, Enoby. It's not like I'm trying to stick up for the Flobot. But it's a matter of our family, and our school's pride.

*Fern leaves to the left*

Ooooooh boy. We are off to a roaring start.

Once, there were four girls- all roommates- who graduated from here to be gym leaders. Every one of them! Wouldn't it be neat to do something like that with just your friends?

Obviously Julia is the best! She's so hyper and fun! Kaaaaaaaa--

No way. Titania is wicked cool. She doesn't take poo poo from anyone.

How can you guys say Florinia isn't the kindest? She's the one who stayed behind and to take over this school and teach us!

The best has gotta be Amy. She's so nice, and yet really strong, and cute, and... I'm so jealous.

At this point we've met all of these mentioned gym leaders but Titania. The game doesn't make it clear, but 'Amy' is actually Amaria, the Water Gym Leader we've met earlier.

Whatever. I never saw you.

You know how Julia's gym was two rooms long, one of which just has Julia and her arena?

Florinia's school is a bit different.

Here's a map of the whole thing, where trainers are marked with rectangles.

That's amazing, considering the current acting principal is only a graduate of two years.

Well that doesn't sound sueish at all.

Music: Trainer Battle (Original Hoenn Gym Leader Remix)

Fern apparently told the student body to keep you away from Florinia at all costs. However, most of their dialogue is this:

:hehe: Hey, you're that foreigner. Fern told me to give you a bad ti-

*loses*

:geno: Nevermind. gently caress Fern anyway.

Stupid, stupid! I finally just earned the points I needed and then the Onyx Arcade's system goes down! Stupid, stupid, stupid! I quit! I'm done! I can't do this anymore! Hey. Hey you, you know what? Take this! I won't need it anymore. I'm moving on.

Stupid...

So we get a Coin Case. Since Voltorb Flip is a thing that exists, there's no reason not to just spawn a bunch of coins like in last update since the only thing separating you from those 'wonderful' prizes otherwise is a bunch of flipping and looking up solutions.

This room.

It's apparently the room where the gym leaders mentioned before shared while they were studying here.

They also left their diaries behind. They are terrible, so I'll just summarize to ease the pain.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Florinia/Rini

I decided that having emotions and thus keeping archives interferes with 'work efficiency' for some reason. So I'll just stop with those inferior qualities. Goodbye.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Amaria/Amy

HELP! I have everything I could ever want, including a lesbian partner in Tania, but I still feel sad! My cheerfulness and happiness are fake! I must have depression or something! HELP!

Julia/Michelle Bay

Good news is that I'm Cheerleading Captain now! Bad news is that Amy gave it up for some reason. She won't celebrate with me since she's too busy with Tania, and Rini is too busy not having emotions to celebrate as well! I'll just go to sleep, then.

Titania/Tania

STOP! READING! OTHER! PEOPLE'S! DIARIES! I don't like you, and I don't talk to people like you.

Hey! Samson! You're the strongman for the Agate Circus and the 'reserve' gym leader for the Fighting-type gym, right? Do you have any 'facts' for me?

Oh god please it better not be what I think it is...

...And last time that Gardevoir was 'interviewing' a kid...

Give me a second.

:fuckoff: Pokemon Reborn, everyone! :suicide:

And I was just, uhm, wondering if you wanted to maybe... grab out sometime-- I mean, grab a bite! Go out! drat it! Okay, okay, calm down. I got this...

Here's this kid. If we 'talk' to him by his left...

And I was just, uhm, wondering if you wanted to maybe...

Well then.

I think you can portray a locked door from the side better than that.

:effort:

Item balls are color-coded according to what type of thing they contain. There's that yellow ball with the Quash TM back in the slums...

...and there's this green ball with the Desert Terrain information. This is conveniently Florinia's terrain of choice for this update's gym battle.

The same Florinia that gave us the data on Julia's Electric Terrain. The game is having fun with irony here.

Here's a shortcut I guess.

Unlike Julia's gym, this has actual puzzles. We have infinite tries to answer each question, and there are no reprecussions for failing. We need solve these questions to open the door to Florinia.

The only types of questions are true/false questions and "input a number questions".

Earl's Pokemon Academy this is not.

The answers are mostly based on these books scattered throughout the school. As you can see, the devs love to show off their Smogon know-how and throw a bunch of competitive lingo which will not be relevant for a long time, if ever.

Thankfully, Smogon University Onyx Trainer's School's students aren't quite as Smoon-tier as those books. So I don't even know.

This question seems normal enough.

Looking at the Gen VI level learn list for Starmie indicates it's level 1, intended to be learned via the Move Relearner.

Nope!

According to this school it's Level 0. Small difference, I'm sure.

Hold on.

Either this school isn't very smart or this universe is more screwed-up than usual.

Music: Normal Victory (Gym Leader Victory Remix) + Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions

:confused: Gate Key? Such a key never comes up here. All the gates here open without such things.

And now...

Sigh. Those dumb kids can't do anything right, can they? Look, Enoby, really, don't take it personally, you're just a loser. Plain and simple.

Said by the guy with only 3 Grass-types. You try and take on one of those PULSE Tangrowths. Spoilers there's more than one. I'd like to see you try.

So really, by not letting you embarass yourself in our gym, I'm doing YOU a favor. And you won't even thank me!

Why are you concerned about me losing to Florinia? Is is because you don't want me outmatching your precious shithole of a school? Your shithole of a region?

Or is it the devs channeling their hatred of the player onto you?

But it's fine. I got ya. Now, just turn around, go home, and give up.

Do I even live here? If I don't, than no can do, Fern. Train's busted.

...Yeah, I didn't really think you'd be smart enough to listen to me. Fine, have it your way, man.

Music: Rival Battle (Black 2 and White 2 Champion Iris Remix)

Oh boy 1 vs 3 will Fern get his revenge against the monster rampaging throughout his blessed region?

Swag Jockey Fern

Level 23 Lombre

Level 24 Servine

Level 25 Roselia

What am I even saying to piss off everybody? I though Pokemon protagonists were mute (and incapable of emotion, according to Pokemon Sun and Moon).

First the blind girl, now Fern?

Music: Major Victory (Mystery Dungeon Primal Dialga Remix)

Looks like ya got dunked on, kid.

You're infuriating, really. You think you're SO cool, just because you're doing the whole Gym League thing, huh? No, you know what? Two can play at that game, Enoby. If a second rate trainer like you can do it, then I won't have any problem sweeping the Reborn League. I should thank you, Enoby. But I'm not going to. I've got things to do. Later, loser!

I'm not completely sure if the game wants us to be on Fern's side here, but I think this is another example of how much the game doesn't want us to have fun.

I also think this is the game pulling a "LOL UR THE RIVAL" in protest to all those 'rivals' in recent Pokemon games that aren't really rivals so much as friends you fight once in a while.

I got something you can't get else around here, I think it might help you out. Wanna take a look?

After beating Fern, we can buy Super Potions by the right entrance of the school. Unfortunately he disappears when we beat Florinia.

Ame's telecom is back again, basically telling us to cheese Florinia either with brute force or Sand Attack. We'll be doing the former here.

Why did Fern lock that other gate from the beginning of the update (that's mysteriously unlocked now) if we can't even get through this gate to Florinia's arena without answering those question terminals?

Music: To Greater Heights (GlitchxCity's Mystery Dungeon Sky Tower Remix)

Your assistance in Meteor-related affairs is appreciated, however, that alone fails to merit the appropriation of a badge. In order to determine eligibility for badge-ownership, further testing is required. Do not mistake the impartial application of these tests as unthankfulness. It is simply procedure. Accordingly, let us begin.

The demonstration will commence. Hypothesis: Subject possesses insufficient data for conclusive results. Expected outcome: Failure.

Original Music: Gym Leader Battle (X and Y Legendary Battle Remix)

Music used in the video: Academy Battle (Pokemon Stadium 2)

Video of a Hariyama wrecking poo poo/Screenshot demonstration of the battle

Again is the time for :spergin:. Get comfy.

Meet Sumomus. Florinia depends on setup to do real damage, which doesn't work when Belly Drum allows Sumomus to oneshot everything she has with +6 Force Palms.

He also starts at Level 24 because he'll gain a level during the fight, and going above the level cap, even during a battle, will trigger the disobedience penalty.

Here's stuff about the Desert terrain.

There's absolutely no way to permanently get rid of the terrain for this battle. I've tried. I've turned it into the Grassy Terrain via Hoppip and set it aflame using Numel's Flame Burst and had Castform doused it with Rain Dance and still it reverted into the desert terrain.

Unlike Julia, who powers herself up with Charge Beam to sweep your team and blows you up with overpowered Explosions, Florinia in theory is more tame.

Florinia's main strategy is to spam grass-based and sand-based residual damage, from Sand Tomb to Leech Seed to Sandstorm. On that front, she doesn't have anything like Toxic or Stealth Rock, so she's not as dastardly as she could've been.

Aside from the Cradily, she would've made a better first gym leader than Julia, especially since her Grass-type team is more vulnerable to supereffective hits than Julia's Electric-types.

That doesn't mean we can curbstomp her with a team like this like we did Julia. This team managed to win, but not without sacrificing both Pokemon and items.

Below is Florinia's team as of Episode 16. Click here to get more information if you want:

As we can see her team is much closer to the current obedience cap than Julia's was, so we can't win via overlevelling.

I tried to give Ebony Sap Sipper via those Ability Capsules to neuter her offense. Problem is, out of all her Pokemon's movesets, she only has 2 directly damaging Grass-type moves: Her Maractus' Needle Arm and her Breloom's Mega Drain.

Her Cradily is a bastard of a staller. It just has Smack Down and Sandstorm for damage, but its loving Recover will guarantee it'll last too long for comfort unless you've prepared beforehand.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Music: Major Victory (Mystery Dungeon Primal Dialga Remix)

* Received the Canopy Badge!*
The Canopy Badge encourages proper behavior among Pokemon up to Level 35. Additionally, as per custom, accept this TM.
* Obtained the TM96 containing Nature Power!*
Nature Power varies based on the terrain and Field Effects in which it is used. To use it effectively, one must exercise proper knowledge and understanding-- a staple of an effective trainer. Use it wisely. Where do you intend to go now? If you do not have other intentions, I have one final request for you. Because of my status as Leader and faculty at this school, I cannot stray far from it right now. However, there is still a crisis in this city. As you no doubt know, the Jasper and Beryl Wards have been ransacked by the same machination as Obsidia. However, whereas we caught Obsidia in a budding state, we were not so fortunate with those wards. Being that you alone have had the successful experience of terminating the previously active project, I ask you venture to the Jasper Ward. Discover if there is not a similar plot behind the destruction there. If you will acquiesce, I have created another application that may be of service to you.
* Received the PULSE Dex!*
This will install to your Pokegear, and will read data output from the PULSE Machine we encountered before. I have already entered the data obtained regarding the Tangrowth you engaged, but any future subjects must be added separately. It may be possible to find print-outs for each machine in an area near their application, so remain watchful. I might wish you good luck, however, luck is merely an illusory essentialization of statistics, and is neither inherently good or bad. Regardless, farewell.

TL,DR:

A win is a win. I'll just stay here while you go to the Jasper Ward and take care of more vines. To assist, I'll give you the Canopy Badge to raise the level cap to 35, the TM for Nature Power, and this PULSE Dex. You should be able to find data for any future PULSE Pokemon you'll face. Farewell.

That 10 level increase from our previous level cap seems nice compared to the 5 level increments for most other badges, but there's actually a very terrible reason behind it that we'll find out soon.

In other bad news...

Not only are we not done with PULSE Pokemon, but we're going to fight another PULSE Tangrowth soon.

Guess the beatdown was too much for the camera that it forgot to recenter after the battle.

The "Control weather" command is from an unofficial mod. It allows us to control the weather.

Credit goes to Waynolt from the Pokemon Reborn forums for this mod.

Unfortunately, the only good link to it is in the modder's signature, which is only accessible to forum members.

After beating Florinia, this Petilil appears in the park during harsh sunlight.

Give it a Pokesnax and you get a boring thing.

Also only appearing under the harsh sun is this ice cream stand. The prices are cheaper than those of the ice cream vending machine in the candy shop, but the 'harsh sun' overworld weather is so rare that it's not worth triggering it outside of the aforementioned mod.

Misc:

The contents of each book in the Onyx Trainer's School. Prepare to see a bunch of text errors here.

The questions and answers to each of the terminals.

Old Music:

Trainer Battle (Hoenn Gym Leader remix)

Rival Battle (Black 2 and White 2 Champion Iris Remix)

Normal Victory (Gym Leader Victory Remix) + Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions

Major Victory (Mystery Dungeon Primal Dialga Remix)

To Greater Heights (GlitchxCity's Mystery Dungeon Sky Tower Remix)
Slowed down version used in the Onyx Gym Trainer's School / Version used in Florinia's Arena

Gym Leader Battle (X and Y Legendary Battle Remix)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I can appreciate wanting to make a gym an actual dungeon, not just a short puzzle with fights.

But that was SO rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Was Fern always this assholish? Feels like it kinda came out of nowhere...

• Locked thread