Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asator
Oct 21, 2010

Ahh, this game. This loving game. On top of all the many, many things we'll no doubt see in this LP, it is a game that actually retroactively adds more fake difficulty with each update. I have a few stories to tell at relevant points if anyone cares (I wouldn't) but otherwise I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the unfolding disaster.

Incidentally, the blonde girl is the least awful player sprite, and I second whoever said to call her Sunshine. Go for protean Froakie because bullshit deserves equal returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Time to strap in for a wild ride
Best of luck to you

Random fact: the VS sprites are twice as large as the canon games' VS sprites, which is why they're so ludicrously detailed

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Asator posted:

Incidentally, the blonde girl is the least awful player sprite, and I second whoever said to call her Sunshine. Go for protean Froakie because bullshit deserves equal returns.

Seconded.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Had to try my own hand after seeing this;

Also I think Marsh Face is the Pacific Trash Vortex. Where everyone in the region will eventually end up.

Astronomers are split as to how catastrophic it will be when the Tetris block finally crosses the 2dimensional barrier into realspace and crashes into the mountains. A lot of it hinges on the difficulty of the Tetris game: higher difficulties imply higher speeds and therefore more damage.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

the marsh wizard knows many secrets

This is already a more promising and original start to a game than another Pokémon fan hack.

But we all knew that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well this looks interesting :suspense:

Trainer Sprite: The girl with the dark eighties hair

Trainer Name: Allison

Starter: Totodile

Starter Name: SLÄSH-DETHER

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Gonna throw my vote for black girl Enoby and her faithful shiny Snivy.

a whole lot of hulabaloo about this guy posted:

Oh hey, that's the Rainbow Shell. Now we can forge Crono's ultimate Samurott samurai sword.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Asator posted:

Ahh, this game. This loving game. On top of all the many, many things we'll no doubt see in this LP, it is a game that actually retroactively adds more fake difficulty with each update. I have a few stories to tell at relevant points if anyone cares (I wouldn't) but otherwise I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the unfolding disaster.

I, for one, would love to hear those stories. I have no doubt this game will supply plenty of fuel for the fire, but a little more never hurt anybody, right?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I don't care about the protag but I want a Rainbow Samurai.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Gotta go with the Enoby and her shiny Snivy :bandwagon:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
That map screen is mystifying. I have to see how it actually works.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Throw my vote on the pile for Enoby and shiny Snivy.

This game looks like a whole different kind of trainwreck from Uranium. I can't wait!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tired Moritz posted:

actually, it did. Did you forgot our dear friend PUSSYMASHER
I'm sorry, I forgot my BBCode there. Well, I'm too lazy to go edit it in, but you can just mentally add [sarcasm] tags to my post, right?

Gonna throw my vote in with bad fanfiction references to go with this bad fangame, but I want a Teenage Mutant Ninja Squirtle.

TheSoulian
Dec 5, 2016

Blonde Girl named Sunshine with Rainbow Oshwatt

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

I made a loose (real) guide to the map. There's so much poo poo on here though that there's just no way to make it look good.

It probably doesn't even cover half of the actual playable area, though. There are extensive underground areas that probably ultimately dwarf the overworld.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm sure glad they spent a fifth of the map space on one city and another fifth on poo poo not in the game. It might be readable otherwise.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I can't get over the laziness of this game being set in the "Reborn Region," with "Reborn City" as its major feature. I'm prepared to believe the rest of the writing is really tryhard, but wow, does that start things on an :effort: note.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Antivehicular posted:

I can't get over the laziness of this game being set in the "Reborn Region," with "Reborn City" as its major feature. I'm prepared to believe the rest of the writing is really tryhard, but wow, does that start things on an :effort: note.

It's not a terrible idea in concept. I could see a Pokemon game, most likely a spinoff, being set entirely in and around one large city.

Of course, the names the map everything we've seen so far is not inspiring confidence.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
My main issue with the map is that both the quality and perspective are all over the place. That one grey mountain and some of the forest areas are sprited fairly well, but the total flatness of many of the other areas' colors make it seem like the geometry of this planet is insane. The main city in particular looks like a top-down view, but that's at odds with literally everything around it.

The idea of operating out of one major city seems pretty cool to me, though I'm sure it won't be done very well.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Alacron posted:

It's not a terrible idea in concept. I could see a Pokemon game, most likely a spinoff, being set entirely in and around one large city.

Of course, the names the map everything we've seen so far is not inspiring confidence.

Oh, the one-major-city thing is fine. Just... not the "name the city and region after your game name, which is not a geographical term" thing. Even Uranium managed to come up with a region name that wasn't just the name of the game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, it's the name more than the concept that bugs me. It would be like if Pokemon Green was set in the Green region and the starting (and only) town was Green City. That's more what makes the game look lazy. Persona games get away with setting the game in and around one town, as do Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games; they just flesh out the town and its environs enough to make it enjoyable. Reborn... doesn't seem like it had that much effort or thought put into it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I get the impression that the designers wanted to cross Pokemon with FF7.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Asator posted:

I'd be all ears for this.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"

Voting is officially over, and unless I've miscounted or the thread starts changing its mind, it looks like Enoby and her shiny gothic contrary Snivy named Dementia are going to avenge their fallen comrade in the sinful region of Reborn.

Since voting is over, we are now OFFICIALLY IN ZERO-TOLERANCE MODE REGARDING UNMARKED SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POST. If I catch something incriminating, I will not slack this time and LOCK THE THREAD FOR AT LEAST A DAY, IF NOT UNTIL THE NEXT UPDATE.

If you think something you were going to post is too spoilerific, please try to post a Private Message to me about it first.

Bydoless posted:

There will be NO UNMARKED SPOILERS for this game in this thread, and even then keep the marked spoilers in small doses. Otherwise, this thread will be locked for either a day or until the next update depending on how bad the offense is.

Same goes for derailing this thread far from the beaten path.

I'm going to spend the rest of the week working on the next update, with the intention of covering up to and including the first gym battle. Regardless of whether I've made it through Michelle BayJulia or not, expect an update at the latest Sunday afternoon unless something goes wrong.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This game is strictly worse than Uranium. and that's saying something.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Super pumped for Enoby's gratuitously goffik adventures. :dance:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

RIP the Grimderp adventures of Sunshine and Rainbows

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Ramos posted:

Super pumped for Enoby's gratuitously goffik adventures. :dance:

Instead of a villainous gang of Poke-criminals, this time the running subplot is preparing for a My Chemical Romance concert. Speaking of, for those not familiar with the seminal work of internet literature, My Immortal (from which our heroine's name is derived), a dramatic reading can be started here. It makes a fitting soundtrack for a game such as this, but as you may expect, a "fitting soundtrack" for a game like Pokemon Reborn is nothing pleasant.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

EclecticTastes posted:

Instead of a villainous gang of Poke-criminals, this time the running subplot is preparing for a My Chemical Romance concert. Speaking of, for those not familiar with the seminal work of internet literature, My Immortal (from which our heroine's name is derived), a dramatic reading can be started here. It makes a fitting soundtrack for a game such as this, but as you may expect, a "fitting soundtrack" for a game like Pokemon Reborn is nothing pleasant.
"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING YOU MOTHERFUKERS!" It was...........Dumbledore!

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
So Contrary sounds great on paper, but how good is Serperior?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

theGrooseofLegend posted:

contrary is the only notable thing about it, its attack movepool blows so even after getting a leaf storm or two off your best non-stab options are like, hidden power fire and dragon pulse

(this might have changed with reborn though, i know jackshit about it)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Decent but not super great. It really lacks coverage moves and its attack stats are incredibly low for a starter so it can struggle ( to put it in perspective, it can't reliably KO Scizor with HP: Fire without the boost).

Still its fast and tanky and once you get some stat boosts up it'll still rip through things.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Speaking personally, I quit and restarted Black when I chose Snivy because its slower, bulkier style just isn't fun for 'typical' early-game Pokemon gameplay.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Pretty much the only thing it can really run is Contrary Leaf Storm because it only learns attacking moves of two types (normal and grass) by level up. It also suffers from being a defensively-built pokemon with a poor defensive type and no real specialization otherwise.

However, once it starts spamming Leaf Storm, it boosts very quickly.

e: this is competitive, mind you. It'll get you through a normal game of pokemon just fine, but you'll probably feel the hurt from the limited movepool a bit more.

Good thing Reborn forces encourages you to use a bunch of pokemon with its level caps!

Leraika fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 31, 2017

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Leraika posted:

Good thing Reborn forces encourages you to use a bunch of pokemon with its level caps!

Not even that, the game sells you level-down candies for cheap. It's like, why even loving bother then?

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"

Leraika posted:

Funny thing about that.

In the official games, at least up to Gen VI, there's a similar level cap, but it's limited to only traded Pokemon, to discourage your from trading in Level 100 whatevers to steamroll the game but allow you to powerlevel Pokemon you got yourself without issue.

On the other hand, both the official games as well as Reborn has traded Pokemon get 1.5x more EXP than normal Pokemon.

Making the level cap global... Well, if you know enough about Pokemon, you can probably guess what Reborn encourages you to do.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Bydoless posted:

Funny thing about that.

In the official games, at least up to Gen VI, there's a similar level cap, but it's limited to only traded Pokemon, to discourage your from trading in Level 100 whatevers to steamroll the game but allow you to powerlevel Pokemon you got yourself without issue.

That's still in there as of SuMo.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Bydoless posted:

IIRC it used to be "any pokemon" and more recently just became Pokemon you get in trades to stop you from doing that, since once upon a time I overlevelled my starter and it began disobeying me back in Blue, although RBY is infamously buggy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ace of Aces posted:

IIRC it used to be "any pokemon" and more recently just became Pokemon you get in trades to stop you from doing that, since once upon a time I overlevelled my starter and it began disobeying me back in Blue, although RBY is infamously buggy.

It's always just been traded pokemon.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I had the 'starter disobeying me' thing happen in Red/Blue, too; that was a fun thing to see in the middle of the Misty fight :shepicide:
gently caress Starmie forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I had the 'starter disobeying me' thing happen in Red/Blue, too; that was a fun thing to see in the middle of the Misty fight :shepicide:
gently caress Starmie forever

Did that happen? I thought that Pokemon only disobeyed you if the OT wasn't the same as you

• Locked thread