Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The blonde girl has the least stupid looking sprite, and Protean Froakie, name Lucifinia for the edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Gyra_Solune posted:

I do think there's no problem with the principle of changing shiny sprites, if only because half of the actual ones are barely even different colors. It's not even a gen 1 thing (though that does have prime examples like how I'm pretty sure Persian and Dewgong are completely unchanged), I remember getting a shiny Beartic and I don't think that one's any different.

And I mean if you're doing that, why not have fun and make Teenage Mutant Ninja Squirtles, I do genuinely like that one.

And lot of the shinies are an awful puke-green color, I get some of it was GSC palette limitations, but come on.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the Tepig's look bad and Squirtle's too jokey, but other than the over-reliance of black, the shinies actually do look not bad.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SirPhoebos posted:

How much would Gamefreaks have had to take out to put those safeguards in?

it's extremely hard to say, as it depends on what Game Freak would consider priority and what actually takes up space.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The power plant and the game corner would also be up on the chopping block, or they'd have to reduce the amount of pokemon

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Solumin posted:

But then there's things like Focus Energy cutting your crit chance instead of increasing it. That's just oversight.

I know development standards were different 20 years ago, but seriously, that should have been noticed.

no different from the infamous Saw Glitch from FFL

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I gave up Berserk anime way before that point - where they made everything Guts' sword hit have the sound of a man slamming a skillet against a metal pipe - other swords, trees, bisecting human bodies - CLANG CLANG CLANG

Susumu Hirasawa's music deserves better than 2016/2017 Berserk Anime

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

To add, the store right before Matador has a force-nulling magatama and at level 18, you can fuse Megami Uzume who nulls force and has Media to vastly increase your action economy. If you're having trouble fighting him you can grind your way into an easier win.

For the most part, Reborn doesn't give you adequate tools to handle Julia's tactics. It's like Uranium, where you have one Chesto Berry and two steel-types to cope with Yawn+Scratch, except if you didn't have anything that resisted Normal. And no access to Mankey either.

as mentioned by Matador, not only do you learn the press turn is important, but stat-changing moves are key to the MegaTen gameplan - in most JRPGs, if you're not doing direct damage or healing, you're wasting a turn, but in MegaTen, it's the difference between taking 100 damage an taking 23 damage

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 15, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that Megaten games do have early spikes, then the chill out for a bit afterwards. Shadow Yukiko in Persona 4 was really hard, and she's only the third dungeon, and the first complete one.

Says something in Golden they actually reduced Shadow Yukiko's difficulty by giving her a weakness to ice, taking away a few buff/debuff spells (Matarunda and Mind Charge are kind of nuts for how early in the game she has it) and gives a warning for Burn to Ashes, but in turn they bump up her HP.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Also usually the hit rates are atrocious.

Take for example Garland in FF9. He's open to Silence which will prevent Flare and Stop. Dagger at level 40 with 40 magic has a ~35% chance of hitting him with Silence. With the same stats a 99-aquamarine Leviathan with a water boost will deal over 6,000 with the short animation and probably hit the damage cap with the long one.

Status vulnerability is almost seemingly random, too. Silver Dragon is open to sleep, but Garland and Kuja are not. Kuja is immune to silence entirely. Taharka is vulnerable to Heat when nearly no other boss is.

pretty much - with the exception of MP-draining, and bio/poison, status moves in FF just do not hit consistently enough to make it worth the attempt when you can blow the Boss' HP down by 20% or more in the same turn.

Granted, Kuja's immunity to silence makes sense from a gameplay standpoint - he's a Mage, if you shut down his ability to cast spells, you essentially completely nullified him as a threat until you either beat him, or he hits his 'I cast Flare Star and win this fight' cap depending on what point of the game you're fighting him.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Mist Terrain is a mess, way too many variables and fiddly bits, and the 'two magnitudes and double KO' is a hilarious idea, but there's a reason why Gamefreak ever did anything like that.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I like the bit of depth to him added in HGSS where if you tried to sneak in using a Rocket costume, he gets mad - calling the protag weak for using an underhand tactic and rip the costume off.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, the X and Y friends were pretty much there, and despite your main rival being the serious competitor, even without using the hilariously OP EXP Share, he was little more than a speedbump and barely has any role in the storyline.

Like Hau doesn't have the plot importance Lillie has, but he still somewhat keeps up, and one of the first that twigs onto the fact that Lillie's mom is kind of messed up before we fully see how much of a narcissistic headcase she is.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Speaking of Red and Blue, it was good to see them in SuMo. I hope they do stuff like that in future games, whether it's Silver trying to talk/beat some sense into young evil team members or Giovanni chilling in a remote area hermit-style or whatever.

I agree - actually, lot the Team Skull grunts would've been perfect for a more mature Silver to talk out of a criminal life given how many are pretty much despondent teenagers/young adults that felt like they hit a wall and gave up.

Lillie would be cute for running a Pokemon daycare or accessory/grooming shop.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the Orb of Zot posted:

There's also the contrast with Lusamine, who goes too far in the other direction and shows what happens when you prioritize Pokemon over everything else.

Lusamine is interesting in that she prioritize pokemon only as an extension of herself, she has zero qualms freezing pokemon that no longer serve her purpose to keep them in their most beautiful state - and she has pokemon generally considered pretty, this also extends to how she treats her children, once they stopped acting according to how she wants them to, she rejects them. She really has the hallmarks of a narcissistic parent - honestly, Lillie and her brother have behaviors of emotionally abused children, and I wouldn't be surprised until her brother ran away that Lillie was the golden child and her brother the unfavorite so Lusamine can torment to feed her ego.

tl;dr Lusamine is basically Mother Gothel in a Pokemon game

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Commander Keene posted:

I've never played FF11 (I don't play MMOs, and especially not ones that I'm required to pay a subscription fee for), so I don't know who or what Absolute Virtue is.

Basically Absolute Virtue was a superboss that's bullshit hard and anytime someone figured out a way to beat it, Square bans the players and change the boss's code to make that method no longer applicable. Granted, one method was using stack overflow errors, but more or less it's a boss Square would not allow anyone to beat.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

though the third could go on strict healing duty - honestly as flawed as .hack's MMO premise is, it's still miles better than SAO's "Monsters don't respawn when killed" and hell everything is miles better than SAO

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Reminds me of some fantasy MMO that was being shilled on Imgur for a while - considers a 10+ year development cycle to be positive point, and include features such as in-game aging - including death from old age, characters persisting even when players logged off, maps only being available after someone goes out ad survey - and the most hilarious - that all 'law enforcement' in game will not be done by admins or employees but players.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ratoslov posted:

That sounds like it'd go Lord of the Flies in literally seconds.

Yeah, that's something everyone who isn't literally shilling the game or apparently are the same dumbasses who backed Star Citizen had pointed out: You cannot trust an online community of any size to self-regulate without it going to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Onmi posted:

I mean 11 year old me didn't struggle with the game, there are some tough fights, but I never struggled and I never used the card-code system. Sounds like Tie's just bad.

I'm going to have to agree, it sounds like Tie's just really bad, because while I remember some fights being rough as I never had the cards, but yeah - the only way the game would seem completely unfair is if he never read the manual or go through the tutorial, because I admit if you just go in the game blind and expect it to play like a normal YGO game, it will be rough.

Like compare to some of the other YGO games, it's really not that unfair.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 31, 2017

• Locked thread