Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Enoby. Assemble the most goth team possible. Make sure that Snivy is a black shiny. Find a Murkrow asap. Name at least one team member after Draco Malfoy. Etc etc.

We cannot take this seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Cathode Raymond posted:

I did my best for you:

I don't know what the perspective is or whether that river/waterfall is a river or a waterfall. I also don't know why the map is sometimes a 4bit maze render and sometimes a 16bit side scroller background. It's a very ambitious genre-blending map I guess.

Had to try my own hand after seeing this;

Also I think Marsh Face is the Pacific Trash Vortex. Where everyone in the region will eventually end up.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

raisamike3 posted:

I only want to know one thing. Does the X in TMX stand for Extreme cause if it does then this game can :fuckoff: right now

If you want, we can pretend it does, but I think it's a Megaman-style "Year 200X" thing.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of good hacks, this discussion has been made, but, theoretically, what would be a good hack for you?

This made me think. And my answer is, pretty much "an existing Pokemon game, but with new mechanics".

No new types, no new pokemon -- gawping at hideous monstrosities is fun, but it doesn't make a good game. Have a new region maybe, but with existing Pokemon only. Tune the availabilities and gym leaders such that they provide a challenge. Not a Reborn-style "there is one strategy to counter this and anything else will lose" but have them set up with a coherent strategy and improve their AI. I like some of the overworld pokemon and event-dependent spawns from this hack, like certain ones appearing in rain, that can stay, but they should maybe refresh upon leaving the area instead of being one time. Bring back the things people like that got missed out of recent games -- walking with partners, the Vs Seeker -- and add in things people really want, like overwriteable HMs or HM items like in Uranium, or the ability to field-swap your team without having to be at a PC.

On a personal level I'd like a game that almost completely does away with plot and HM gating the world. HM gating is sort of fine if I don't need to follow the plot to get the HMs. I should be able to wander into a high level area after leaving the starter town and get my rear end kicked. Have those "Route Whatever" signs also provide a level indicator of the area if you like. The Gym Leaders and the E4 and Champion should be the 13 most powerful trainers in the game and most of the journeying should be done either purely for the sake of exploration and curiosity, or to try and power up enough to take them on. Obviously there'd still be a plot but I should be free to ignore it if I wish, and it should be fixed level and not scale with the player. No more team rocket trying to take over the world with level 12 zubats. Gate the legendary behind it, that's fine and makes sense, but stop with the random dancing men barriers is all I'm saying. It sounds a bit grindy but adding in smaller, lower level "local plots" with decent rewards like TMs, the bike, whatever, would help stop it feeling so backloaded. The more I type the more this sounds like a single-player MMO.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Omnicrom posted:

I'm sure there were some other gimmicks.

People tried coordinating 18 Scholars to cast Modus Veritas at the same time to kill it in one hit. MV doubled the tick damage of a Scholar's DoT spell, but halved the duration. The strategy relied upon trying to time it with server ticks such that even the halved-many-times duration would tick once and only once and deal its entire HP in one shot.

The strategy was never given a chance to be tried, sadly. Alexander came out soon after and that's what allowed players to weather the immense storm of damage and kill the loving thing.

It's also worth nothing that AV, for every kill after the first, had at least one 100% drop rate item, so that first kill with no drops, that was somehow intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Dr. Fetus posted:

It wasn't a cutscene boss. Absolute Virtue had a random chance of spawning after killing another specific boss. (Nowadays it's guaranteed to spawn, but not when it was first released.) Absolute Virtue didn't have a grand entrance indicating that it was meant to be unkillable.

Furthermore, it has defeat speech text and a title granted for killing it in the game from day one.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

E: Was this C-Team of devs who hosed up AV and then the first iteration of FF14 fired from Final Fantasy games or from Square-Enix entirely when they got sacked? I hope the latter.

Project lead Tanaka left later on for "health reasons", which a lot of people at the time assumed was a euphemism.

• Locked thread