Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"

It begins.

Music: Opal Ward

Okay what the hell is this?

It's a bad pokemon fangame, similar to Pokemon Uranium as LP'd by Orange Fluffy Sheep yet different. It too is made using RPG Maker XP and the Pokemon Essentials script package.

How long has this game been in development?

For around 5-6 years, according to a quick chat on the website's Discord server.

Apparently this is based on an real-life Pokemon League conceived by a teenage girl around a decade ago. Said Pokemon League involves you battling members of the community in whatever Pokemon battle simulators were available at a time prior to Pokemon Showdown.

Note: None of this is officially covered in the actual website for some reason. There's no History page in http://rebornevo.com that covers the above paragragh in any detail.

Did the great Pokemon Uranium C&D of 2016 affect it in any way?
Apparently not enough (if at all) to prevent development. There's an update back in December, right after the C&D.

They're working on a new major update right now. In fact, they've already implemented the Pokemon and mechanics from Gen VII into the engine and are probably contemplating how the hell they're going to shoehorn it all into the base game right now.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say they're using feature creep and never possibly finishing the game in full as an attempt to keep on working on it without ending up like Pokemon Uranium.

After all, Nintendo only goes after games that are finished, right?

So you're saying this game is unfinished, then?
Yes.

However, once we're done with Reborn, we'll cover an even worse unfinished fangame inspired by this one: Pokemon Rejuventation.

It's Pokemon Reborn but worse. It's a game where the Mary Sue that can make shiny Pokemon appear out of thin air is more tolerable than 90% of the cast.

How is this any different from Pokemon Uranium? Seems like yet another bad fangame to me.

Well, it is a bad fangame. In some cases it is better than Uranium, but in most other cases it is worse.

Usually people who would read this thread are also reading the one for OFS's LP of Pokemon Uranium.

Pokemon Uranium is a fangame that tries to be Pokemon but not only lets its grimderp get in the way, but also isn't competent to capture the feeling in the first place.

Pokemon Reborn doesn't even try at all. It derails itself off the tracks from the get-go and does whatever it drat well pleases with only the Pokemon formula of "Solve issues with Pokemon battling" and "Collect badges to progress" tying it to the source material.

How would this LP go?
I do remember some of the more notable poo poo from an offsite LP of this game, but other than that this is mostly blind.

This LP is intended for those familiar enough with Pokemon mechanics, specifically those reading the (as of this post) ongoing Uranium LP thread. Thus, I won't be spending time explaining the basic mechanics.

There will be NO UNMARKED SPOILERS for this game in this thread, and even then keep the marked spoilers in small doses. Otherwise, this thread will be locked for either a day or until the next update depending on how bad the offense is.

Same goes for derailing this thread far from the beaten path.

Table of Contents:

Bydoless fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Right off the bat we start some good news and bad news. Good news is of course that "Fast Forward" feature. Bad news is that if you're not playing this on a computer worthy of the PC Master Race it will not work well, if at all, on large maps. :gbsmith:

My name is Ame. I'm the manager of the Reborn League.

Who the hell names their region Reborn? Just because it's the name of the community doesn't mean you're obligated to use it for your lovely fangame based on said community.

Reborn City is... Well, I'll let you see for yourself, but it's not an ideal place for many Pokemon to live.

I don't know what they're going with this. Reborn City, being huge and spanning multiple 'wards', has a vast ecosystem of Pokemon to catch in a vareity of ways compared to your average city or town in a Pokemon game.

Amethyst gives us a choice of male, female, or neutral genders, and...

I see that grimderp is the fashion of choice in Reborn.

*Screen fades to black*

...Run!

*Pretend you heard a loud (but loud enough) explosion to signify the void train exploding here*

Music: Peridot Ward

Only in Pokemon Reborn can you have a train bombing during the intro sequence while you're talking with someone in the grey void.

???: Hihi!

Julia is Reborn's first gym leader to throw at us and she doesn't leave a good impression of what is to come.

I was at the gym-gym and then suddenly BOOOOM, so I came running! Cuz you know if things are exploding, I gotta be there to see it. It's so cool!!!

So you're DONGS? I'm Julia, captain of cheer and pep, and all things bubbly and bright!

Her idea of 'bubbly and bright' apparently includes overly cute-sounding jargon and a fetish for explosions. Apparently said fetish for explosions so potentially dangerous that she gets accused of committing a terrorist attack.

She has an official job potentially dealing with little kids.

Lovely.

No, I'm not going to participate in something where my first major opponent could potentially blow up the 'gym-gym' over losing.

Whaaaaaaat? That's no fun! You simply must! I'll be looking forward to your challenge, so go on, get down to the Grand hall already!

Now that we have control, let's compare my chosen avatar as shown in the intro with the same avatar as shown in the game.

According to the intro portrait, the overworld sprites, especially the ones looking to the left and right, should look more symmetrical and less messy than what we got here.

So was my fiancee.

We now have at least one confirmed death from that train bombing. The same train bombing that our first gym leader is accused of committing as soon as she came on screen.

Music: Opal Ward

What? I know it doesn't work on humans, but just take it, okay?

Somebody gives us a Potion for no reason because we don't get to access the obligatory potion in the PC before we fight our obligatory rival battles.

Filthy.

Absolutely horrid.

...What are you lookin' at?

If you haven't noticed already, this is supposed to be grimderp dark.

Music: Pokemon Center

Consistent walking speeds are hard here in Pokemon Reborn.

Looks like the terrorist subplot has already been resolved, without our input, in the span of the minute it took to get here.

Here's our starter pool for this game. Every single starter from the official games up to Gen VI is a possible choice here.

It would be a good time to mention that in this game, hidden Abilities are treated as normal Abilities that a Pokemon can have when you get him/her/it through any means, whether you get it from here, from the wild, or whatever.

There no special chance for a 'mon to have a hidden ability here. It's a plain 50/50 or 33/33/33 between each ability.

Shinies are more common in the region of Reborn. Reborn's shinies are also more grimdark.

Usually a shiny Snivy looks like this.

So here's this guy. Regardless of what character you pick he says the same lines here. Make of that what you will.

Music: Rival Battle

loving SPRITES

Seriously, the Gen III art style is not meant for overly detailed sprites like this.

Mr. "Not a phase, MOM!" shafted with a male Nidoran regardless of what we pick. Here's some proof:

With that getup, Cain either splurged all his money on something stupid or he's just a stingy little poo poo.

To clarify a bit a dialogue later, here's some lines for if you lose...

1. That one word shouldn't be alone by itself.
2. The script is missing a button pause. It skips to the third line without letting you see the first line of that dialogue without screenshot abuse or slowing down text. What is this, a bad GBA Fire Emblem rom hack?
3. Just what.

"Had some fun"? I didn't know you were like that, DONGS...

Not exactly sure what you're implying, Victoria. It's a simple Pokemon battle, not a...

Ooh, yes, master~

"Master"?

...Forgive me, Victoria, for insinuating that we're dealing with sane people here in Reborn.

MORE SPRITES HOW DO THEY WORK

Boy my avatar turned out real well huh.

Similar to Cain, she always picks Tepig regardless of whatever you have.

In fact, there's some extra dialogue if you picked a Tepig yourself, stating that the Reborn League managed to have multiples of each possible starter somehow.

Before we continue on, I would like to show you the move list for the 'mons we just fought:

Yes, these two pokemon have duplicates of the same attacking move.
I'm guessing it's to make them use the attacking move more often without having to program more advanced AI, though it doesn't give me high hopes if they couldn't be assed to program AI favoring attacking moves.

I'm not sure what possessed them to give Cain's Nidoran the Hustle ability, which sacrifices accuracy for more power, which leads to a more luck-based matchup for the first two battles of the game.

This will not be the last time a trainer's pokemon has a baffling setup.

After battling these two twerps, we fully register for the league, and we get our Pokedex, some Pokeballs, a pair of toggleable running shoes...

...and a PokeGear. Features include...

...playing any music track in the game...

..Looking at the map if you like to scream at the size of this stupid region...

...and trading and battling in the online servers that are suprisingly fast and popular. I got this Larvesta from a "Gensai/Noob" about as fast as I could confirm my selection for the Wonder Trade.

However, it seems like there's an accidental catch against people trying to trade with themselves. RPG Maker XP's system doesn't allow the game to run while the window is unfocused. You can copy the game folder and change the name in the Game.ini file to have two game windows with different saves, but only one will actually run. The trading system does not like unfocused windows, and will usually break by making one of the cursors not set to a certain pokemon, causing a null error when you try to trade. It can also be more oldschool and cause a duplication/overwrite glitch, where one windows gets the trade process off while the other window freezes until you exit it.

To trade with yourself, you'll basically need two computers that can run this game.

We can butt in and see what the hell passes for cable in Reborn. However, none of the channels have anything relevant right now...

Watching the news gives us a plot dump from the future, but it's noting we couldn't figure out once we reach the location of note. To add to that, earlier Victoria gave a similar backstory dump that won't be relevant for a bit, so I'm leaving it out until we get to when it becomes important.

Let's check the Interview option for shits and giggles.

Hello! Gossip Gardevoir here in Interview Intermission, bringing YOU the inside scoop on Reborn's celebrity figures! Today, we've got a special report with Bennett Voclain, a studious, slightly annoying, especially awkward, up and coming Bug Type Trainer! Hello, Bennett! Tell us, what--

Gardevoir, what are you doing in my room?

It's an interview, just go with it!

That's-- wait, is this live?

Sure is! Bennett, tell us how--

Okay, no, please get out of my room; I am trying to study here!

Oh, studying! And what--

Go, go go go. I'll tell Mom on you, Gardevoir.

Insolent! How dare you threaten me, the great Gossip--

*SLAM*

Did you just slam that in MY face? Bennett?!Bennett!!! Ooooooh... When I get off air, I'm going to-- In fact... That's all on today's Interview Intermission. Until next time!

...Suddenly I don't even feel safe with my Pokemon anymore. Remind me not to get a Ralts or anything that evolves from it anywhere here, especially not one that talks.

In addition to buying beginner-level stuff, we can also buy candy from a stranger. Reducing levels seems counter-intuitive, but keep this in mind later.

dragons for centuries!
For you, I'll make a special discount, bringing the price down to only $500!

...Well, I got my money. That's your problem now!

A defining trait of Reborn is that it really loves to gently caress with the player.

In another episode of Good News/Bad News, the good news is that we'll encounter this thief again. The bad news is that you'll wish this was a one-off trap once you figure out the game's deal with him.

As we leave the Grand Hall, we get a cutscene... I'll just leave the whole dialogue here for everyone:

Music: Atmosphere - Flux (Note, IIRC all the music here were composed by GlitchxCity, and all the remixes here apparently got changed to names like this for some reason.)

So where were we... Ah, right. You were just about to tell me about your little friends?

I'm not gonna talk. I ain't gonna say a word.

Mm... About that. Let me introduce you to my friend, Torkoal.

*Torkoal walks up to and faces the culprit*

Now, my buddy Torkoal here... He isn't the most patient fella. And when people keep him waiting, he tends to blow a bit of hot air, so to speak. Which brings me to my second point. You know what kind of chair you're strapped in, right?
Uh, metal?

You're not completely dumb. Good. So, Torkoal here gets a little fired up, right? When people don't answer. And I think even you can figure out what happens to metal when it gets heated up. So really the choice is yours, friend. Tell us about your teammates, or you'll be in the hot seat, literally. I'll ask again. Who are you working with?

I'm not gonna talk... I swore!

Mm... Torkoal? How do you feel about that, buddy?

*Fades to black*

...Aaaaghh!!

Our allies, everyone!

Torkoal? More like Torturekoal, amirite?

Seriously though, the problem that is explicit to you is that this art style is not only inappropriate for what this game is going for, but it's too limited.

Gen III Pokemon games aren't known for their expressive and/or intensive animation outside battles or special cutscenes. We aren't talking about Metal Slug here.

Unlike those games, this game attempts to do serious cutscenes with action in them with the limited engine we got here. It's a similar case with Pokemon Uranium, sure, but it's more explicit in Pokemon Reborn.

And this discrepancy between the grimderp and the art style is only going to get worse from here on out.

Meanwhile, back with DONGS...

Shnub.

*Snubbull gets the hell out of this crazy thing*

Snubbull! Oh, not again! *Faces us* Oh, excuse me! I didn't mean to get in your way! It's just my Snubbull... It won't listen to me at all! Ever since it became Level 20, it's been totally out of control, even though I raised it from an egg. I guess I shouldn't have underestimated when I heard that Pokemon in Reborn only listen to trainers they really respect. Pokemon will always respect you up to a certain level if you have a gym badge, and you can see that level on your trainer card-- it's the first visible one. But, what if I can't win a gym badge? Is there some other way? Oh! I need to hurry up and find Snubbull! Good bye!

what

:what:

...And so DONGS decided to get the hell out of dodge. Since there's no operating train at the moment, DONGS decided that two human feet were an acceptable alternative.

DONGS was never seen again.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Unfortunately, we have to continue on without DONGS, so we'll have to conjure up a replacement by voting.

Vote an avatar and a 12-character name for our next victimchallenger.

In a separate vote, pick a starter Pokemon from Gen I-VI as well as his/her 12-character name.

Avatar and name combination with the most votes wins.

Same goes for the combination of our starter Pokemon and its name.

Here are the avatar choices again:

The pair with DONGS's avatar is the Gender Neutral pair. No points for guessing the genders of the other two pairs.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

dancingbears posted:

That list ends at 95. I'm desperately hoping that clearing some sort of endgame means you go above that, because the alternative sounds horrific.

Also, yes, voting for Enoby.

Good news there. The current Level cap seems to be the level cap specified in the upcoming badge slot to be filled (The Lv 20 one in this case). Right now my 'mons can be up to Level 20 without loving around in battle. I've proven this by hacking in Lv 19, 20, and 21 'mons to test this theory.

Which probably means that the Level 95 level cap only applies when there's only that one badge left to collect and that the Level Cap would be lifted normally after collecting all the badges like in the normal games.

Of course, this doesn't really matter right now since the game is unfinished and the current state of Reborn would probably end before we reached that point anyways.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

To make deciding easier for those who aren't as familiar with Pokemon, here's a link to all the potential starters here:

Includes both normal and shiny varieties of each pokemon. If the thread agrees on a shiny version over the normal version of the voted Pokemon, I'll see if I can't hack the shiny version in.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147691

Bydoless fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 29, 2017

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

NOTE: Right now the voting is set to end at 6:00 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 30, 2017, and votes beyond that point will not be counted.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Onmi posted:

You think a game that lets you be gender neutral that features a long scene in a later episode where one high ranking character talks all about pronouns in a 100% serious manner is going to use "LOLGAY" as an insult?

I don't know about you, but I think that's a spoiler. Either contest me or tag/hide it. I'm going to go easy this time since we're doing voting, but remember:

Bydoless posted:

There will be NO UNMARKED SPOILERS for this game in this thread, and even then keep the marked spoilers in small doses. Otherwise, this thread will be locked for either a day or until the next update depending on how bad the offense is.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Voting is officially over, and unless I've miscounted or the thread starts changing its mind, it looks like Enoby and her shiny gothic contrary Snivy named Dementia are going to avenge their fallen comrade in the sinful region of Reborn.

Since voting is over, we are now OFFICIALLY IN ZERO-TOLERANCE MODE REGARDING UNMARKED SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POST. If I catch something incriminating, I will not slack this time and LOCK THE THREAD FOR AT LEAST A DAY, IF NOT UNTIL THE NEXT UPDATE.

If you think something you were going to post is too spoilerific, please try to post a Private Message to me about it first.

Bydoless posted:

I'm going to spend the rest of the week working on the next update, with the intention of covering up to and including the first gym battle. Regardless of whether I've made it through Michelle BayJulia or not, expect an update at the latest Sunday afternoon unless something goes wrong.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Leraika posted:

Good thing Reborn forces encourages you to use a bunch of pokemon with its level caps!

Funny thing about that.

In the official games, at least up to Gen VI, there's a similar level cap, but it's limited to only traded Pokemon, to discourage your from trading in Level 100 whatevers to steamroll the game but allow you to powerlevel Pokemon you got yourself without issue.

On the other hand, both the official games as well as Reborn has traded Pokemon get 1.5x more EXP than normal Pokemon.

Making the level cap global... Well, if you know enough about Pokemon, you can probably guess what Reborn encourages you to do.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

This is quite a big update, so I've decided to put everything in two separate SSLP Test Posts.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147836

Bydoless fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 10, 2017

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Edit: I do like to apologize again for having such a large update.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147835

Misc:

Map for both Opal and Peridot Wards

All items in this chapter.

All trainers fought in this chapter. (excluding Julia)

All pokemon obtainable in this chapter.

Sometimes when starting a new game, the Pachirisu may be replaced with a less worthwhile Zigzagoon.

Sometimes, when reloading a save in some building, there may be no music until you go back outside.

Music:

Most of the music here are GlithxCity remixes.

Unfortunately, GlitchxCity thinks this game is worth working with because a few of these are original to this game and not a remix taken from their site and shoved somewhere semi-relevant.

Normal Victory (Gym Leader Victory Remix) + Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions

Major Victory (Mystery Dungeon Primal Dialga Remix)

Catch your Dreams (Black and White Entralink Remix)*

Opal Ward

Peridot Ward

Pokemon Center (Pokemon Center Arrangement)

Evolution

Wild Pokemon (X and Y Super Training Remix)

Trainer Battle (Hoenn Trainer Battle remix?)

Meteor Grunt Battle (Johto Legendary Remix v.III)

Gym Leader Battle (X and Y Legendary Battle Remix)

Rival Battle (Black 2 and White 2 Champion Iris Remix)

To Greater Heights (Mystery Dungeon Sky Tower Remix)

Atmospheric - Flux (Rocket Hideout Remix)**

Atmospheric - Explore (Mystery Dungeon Primal Diala Remix v.II)***

Sinister Uprising (???)

* Used in the New Game intro.

** The Mosswater Factory uses this track, but at around half pitch and speed.

*** The portion of the Underground Railnet we can access here uses this song, but at around half pitch and speed.

Bydoless fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 10, 2017

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

FPzero posted:

A few general LP presentation notes I had in mind. For future updates, please consider making them smaller. I know you apologized for this but there were a number of place I could've seen you cutting off the updates. There was just so much information and text and extras included in the posts that I was partially skimming by the end of it all. Like, good effort getting it all, but maybe too much effort? I'm not sure it's necessary to have big lists of the trainers you can fight with their dialogue and all that added to the updates Also, while I appreciate you paraphrasing the text, I clicked on one to see what I was missing and saw that the full dialogue also includes things like characters showing up or moving into new areas. When paraphrasing, don't forget to actually describe the movements and characters because I know I got confused until I realized I was missing half the context.

Yeah, I underestimated the game and thought writing a single update up to the Julia wouldn't have been as big as it got. Turns out I was wrong.

I'm thinking of doing the following approach:

For each section of the game, specifically sections between gym leaders or other similarly noteworthy trainers, I will do a few updates focused on plot-related content, only stopping for whatever is needed to advance the plot up to the actual gym leader battle.

If I didn't manage to cover all Pokemon catchable by then, I'll do another update on them prior to the actual gym leader. Maybe I'll cover other stuff like notable items we can get or whatever at the same time.

Then to make things more interesting, and to not have cases like with Julia where we have this whole rant describing how bullshit she is only for the video to show otherwise, I'll ask for votes for the team to use against the gym leader using the Pokemon we obtained earlier, and the top voted teams are first to try their luck against the problematic trainer in question, with the winning team covered in the following update.

Finally, to make things more interesting, and not just me wrecking the poo poo out of the gym leaders like with Julia, I'll take votes that will determine the team to use for the problematic opponent. Y'all will choose from the Pokemon we accumulated to make up my team, and I'll try and make it through with the top votes, and failing that, just use whatever to wreck poo poo as much as possible.

This will allow us to get more of a feel for how bullshit the later gym leaders and other poo poo will get in the actual battle (that will be shown in both video and screenshot format for now on).

Edit: To put it another way, the LP process from now on would be something like:

Go through plot poo poo up until gym leader or anything as noteworthy -> Go through obtainable Pokemon and other side poo poo -> Vote for team to fight gym leader with -> The actual Gym Leader battle -> repeat

RyuHimora posted:

Gen 3 did it first with Zigzagoon. Literally the grass outside the starting town.

It's one thing to have Pokemon with stuff like Pickup on the first patches of grass.

It's another to do that and then tout your game as the ultimate challenge for real gamers who want more bullshit than what the official games can provide.

Not that I'm complaining, of course. Quite the opposite, really.

It makes me think that those Pokemon were added on later versions to make things less terrible.

I probably forgot to make that clarification in the update since it was so big and cumbersome that I just honestly just wanted it finished.

Bydoless fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 11, 2017

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

I'd imagine that if any of the Reborn devs are reading this LP, they'd say, "Oh crap, we left in Pokemon with Lightning Rod, let's axe those guys so they can't ignore our intended slog". Either that or Lightning Rod is the intended way to combat that Gym, and they removed the Ground and Ghost types to keep players from wandering off their specifically marked path. I don't know how you get Hidden Abilities without cheating in this game, but relying on that gamble seems to be going down a dark road.

*Disclaimer: I've never personally played DS, nor have I seen much of it played; I'm just going off what I've heard from others, including friends who have played and beaten the games.

Hidden abilities in Reborn are literally just normal abilites that a Pokemon encountered in a wild or obtained otherwise can have alongside their other abilities.

I think the devs might've intended you to use Pokemon with Lightningrod and such for Julia. I'd mentioned before in the update about Ame speaking through the gym entrance's intercom taking the role of the 'Champ in the making' guy in the official games. She does mention either using Pokemon immune to Electric attacks (despite the lack of Ground-types) or sucking it up and powerleveling through her, which ticks me off as them intending you to use Pokemon with Lightningrod (as well as Motor Drive in Blitzle's case).

Problem is, two of the three Pokemon with such abilities (Blitzle and Pachirisu) are one-offs at best at this point, and the Pachirisu may in fact be unobtainable if you're unlucky to have a Zigzagoon spawn in its place. If you've already caught them without the intended abilities, you're stuck catching and grinding some Goldeen with Lightningrod so the devs can act all :smug: and act like Julia is the best designed boss ever because of irony because you're relying on Water-type Pokemon against an Electric-type gym leader.

EDIT: Anyway I'm taking what you guys said and I'm not gonna depend on a vote to determine a team for battling each gym leader. I could do both a cheese run using my own team meant to counter bullshit as well as a voted-in team in separate battles as a compare&contrast (using hacked-in Rare Candies for the voted-in team for sanity reasons), but I'd expect everybody here to want me to just use the cheese tactics anyway.

Bydoless fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 11, 2017

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Asator posted:

One of the things the developers of Pokemon Reborn love doing is changing what Pokemon appear in these earlier areas in later updates. Almost all of these have been from good Pokemon to worse Pokemon, to make the early game harder. Why they do this after giving you the option to pick up a Froakie or Torchic (still with the ability to start with their HAs) as a starter, I do not know. For instance, the Espurr that Bydo picked up? Used to be a Ralts. It was changed to a Gothita at a later point before being changed again to an Espurr.

Another common theme we'll see is Pokemon that may be really useful later on, but evolve very late and are a pain in the rear end until then. Like Tynamo, and Noibat. Noibat is another new encounter - the Underground Railnet originally had Zubats, but the devs didn't want players to get actual good Pokemon like Crobat too early, so they replaced it with one that doesn't evolve until level 48.

The worst case of this (so far) though, is the pair of scammers. Originally, you could, in fact, get a Magikarp here, although the guy asked for $5000 instead of another $500. Before it was changed to this...endless quest, the devs actually at one point changed this Pokemon too...to Ducklett. Presumably it is now a Magikarp again, but as stated, the quest has still not ended.

This sort of thing is what I mean by retroactively making the game more frustrating.

Terrain effects are also new, although I recall this gym still using the standard Electric Terrain before they were fully implemented. They get even more absurd from here on.

Regarding changes between versions, was Julia's team nerfed in some way at any point in development? Her Emolga having Acrobatics but for some reason also holding a Potion that it can never use and never get rid of by itself does ask some questions.

Also, have those Lightningrod-capable Pokemon found before Julia always existed or were they added at some point?

Were you able to catch any Ground-type or Ghost-type Pokemon before Julia at any point prior to this version?

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

At some point when the game starts before you leave the Grand Hall with your starter, a bunch of variables are randomized. One of them decides whether a Pachirisu or a Zigzagoon is bullied here.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Another one of those variables determines whether a Wingull or a Panpour is coasting around this building.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

You can actually fish on the polluted waters. All you get here is Grimer, though.

Ledybas appear in this garden in the morning only.

Right after you beat Julia, the game finally gives you the opportunity to grab a Ground-type Pokemon.

For the Pokemon in question to appear, we'd have to go back to the ruined train station when it is raining. I don't know if anything in the game hints at this.

And by raining I mean mildly raining where the rain lines are angled toward the bottom of the screen.

This Numel doesn't appear when it's thunderstorming or otherwise have the rain lines angled towards the left side of the screen.

Guess it only seeks shelter when there's thunder about, even though it's a Ground-type.

It looks like it doesn't quite know what to do with itself. Do you want to give Numel Pokesnax? (Yes/No)

Upon obtaining it, it randomly learns one of four special moves picked at random.

One of those moves is Stockpile.

It can also have Growth, Iron Head, or Body Slam.

All are actually decent moves, if at varying degrees of usefulness.

If you doubt me regarding Stockpile, it's been modified in recent generations to also boost Defense and Special Defense by one stage, giving it a general use rather than having to be paired with other moves to be useful like in Gen III.

While we have a Pokemon with Magnitude, let's reduce our Numel's level and take it on a test drive on the Underground Railnet.

You may have noticed that Ground-type Magnitude did in fact hit that flying Pokemon just now. If we use Magnitude again...

:what:

The ceiling collapses and OHKOs both Pokemon on the field.

Yeah, they have a unique cave terrain that OHKOs all Pokemon on the field when Magnitude is used twice. :v:

This Igglybuff you get from the paranoid lady also has a randomized special move not unlike the Numel.

Okay, this one is not particularly special.

Perish Song, on the other hand, is more useful. For one, gym leaders usually leave their bullshit ace Pokemon for last, which means that they'll have no other Pokemon to switch to and thus are vulnerable to this move.
There are also a bunch of trainer battles later on that pit you against one assholish and/or overleveled Pokemon, which are also vulnerable.

Misty Terrain is very noteworthy indeed. This terrain effect, much like Electric Terrain, has also gotten a massive 'overhaul' for Pokemon Reborn. You thought Electric Terrain got a bunch of unneeded poo poo effects associated with it? It got nothing on Misty Terrain!

It can technically be used against Julia to override her Electric Terrain for 5 turns, but it comes back after the Misty Terrain wears off.

Here's Misty Terrain's Bulbapedia page for comparison.

This GIF is a link to a test page with the individual frames describing this terrain, but you'll be better off reading my version below.

Here are all the effects for this incarnation of Misty Terrain, with the new effects bolded:

Pokemon are immune to status.

Created by Misty Terrain for 5 turns.

Also created by Mist for 3 turns if the user doesn't hold an Everstone.

The power of Dragon-type attacks are halved.

Fairy-type Pokemon has their Special Defense boosted by 50%.

The Marvel Scale ability is activated, which boosts the Defense of the Pokemon with it by 50%.

Pokemon with the Dry Skin ability slowly regain HP.

The Pixilate ability's power boost becomes 1.5x.

The following moves have their power boosted by 1.5x: Aura Sphere, Clear Smog, Dazzling Gleam, Doom Desire, Fairy Wind, Icy Wind, Magical Leaf, Moonb;ast, Mist Ball, Mystical Fire, Silver Wind, Smog, Steam Eruption

The following moves have their power reduced by half: Dark Pulse, Night Daze, Shadow Ball

Sweet Kiss's accuracy becomes 100%

Aromatic Mist and Cosmic Power are upgraded under this terrain.

Sweet Scent lowers Defense & Special Defense.

Wish's HP recovery is increased to 75% of Max HP.

Aqua Ring's HP recovery is increased to 1/8 of Max HP.

Destroyed by Defog, Gust, Hurricane, Razor Wind, Tailwind, Twister, or Whirlwind

Becomes the new terrain "Corrosive Mist" when one of the following moves is used twice: Clear Smog, Poison Gas, Smog

Selfdestruct and Explosion cannot be used.

Nature Power becomes Mist Ball instead of Moonblast like in the official games.

Secret Power reduces the target's Special Attack when it hits.

Camouflage causes the user to become Fairy-type.

:suicide:

Good news is that the next gym leader doesn't use this terrain.

Bad news is that I don't want to see the gym leader that actually does use this terrain.

While we shouldn't be able to look at the exact information for this terrain yet, we will find said information in the update after next, so I'm covering it right now while we're here.

Not only can you get Meowths with Pickup, you can also get Quick Claws from them. One is all we need, and it'll see use later on.

Regarding the question asked earlier in the thread regarding stealing Julia's Emolga's Potion, yes, you can steal it with Covet or a Pokemon with Magician hitting it (Which Fennekin, a starter you can obtain, can have as its ability). I wouldn't recommend it, not only because of 110 BP Acrobatics, but also because it's useless to do so:

Items stolen via Covet or Magician become held items. If they were stolen during a trainer battle, they are returned at the end of said battle. Which means we can't actually steal the Potion for ourselves.

For my convenience in finding items in later updates, I've also hacked myself an Dowsing MachineItemfinder. There are a lot of items that are in the middle of the floor and not on some non-floor tile like rocks and poo poo, that you will not be able to find outside of the Itemfinder, pressing a button a lot everywhere, or looking their locations up somewhere.

A really bad example of such a hidden item is this Super Potion here:

Yeah, this was in the factory that got destroyed by Julia. It's in the middle of the floor you can stand on, and there's no indication that it may be there.

It seems I was technically wrong about there being no Revives back when I was talking about the Julia battle.

Problem is that you wouldn't be able to find this without the Itemfinder or some other way of finding this item, so you'll most likely not get this Revive in time for the Julia battle.

Okay, now that we're done with the Peridot Ward for the time being, we can hightail it to the Obsidia Ward next time.

Coming this week:

Vines! Vines everywhere!

Also trees.

Slums with very bleak music!

Scraggies in boxes!

Scraggies who don't need no trainer, at that!

Cain singing lyrics taken from Pokemon anime movies!

And this thing.

Bydoless fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 19, 2017

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

BlazeEmblem posted:

:psyduck: Why? Why wouldn't it work if you are holding an everstone?

I think their reasoning went like this:

:thunk: If it's called Mist why doesn't it cause Misty Terrain?

:v: Because it's a move from Gen I while Misty Terrain originated in Gen VI?

:thunk: That reasoning frightens and confuses me. That won't do. Let's make it also add Misty Terrain for 3 turns on top of that original effect.

:v: Isn't that a bit much?

:thunk: Okay, if peons want the original effect unchanged then we can make it so that holding... say... an Everstone... prevents our new addition to the move?

:v: Wouldn't it be better if you make it so that the extra effect procs if you're holding an Everstone rather than otherwise?

:thunk: Nonsense! Everybody needs to experience our new wonderful game mechanic!

Bydoless fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 19, 2017

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

azren posted:

So, I was telling a friend about this monstrosity, and he had a question: what happens if you try to use the level loss candy at level 1? Can you make its level wrap around?

No.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Raitzeno posted:

Speaking of which, can you pull a Gym Leader and de-level an evolved pokemon to lower than its minimum evo level?

Yes.

EDIT: However you don't learn moves upon leveling down, only leveling up.

Bydoless fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 20, 2017

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Last time, we embarassed our first gym leader and gotten our first badge. We got the TM for Charge Beam (TM57) and the Volt Badge, which raises our obedience cap from Level 20 to Level 25. :woop:

Also we can use Cut outside of battle, but we don't have the HMTMX for it yet.

Enoby! Did you just win your first badge? That's great! I was just thinking about challenging Julia, but I heard something awful! Apparently something weird is happening in the Obsidia Ward. The plants are coming to life and attacking people. As soon as I heard, I knew I had to go over there and see if I can help! I'd stay and talk more, but I need to hurry! Bye!
* runs off*

The Obsidia Ward, just to the right of the Opal Ward, is our next destination.

There are some new trainers here in the Opal Bridge that have spawned after beaten Julia, but they are unimportant to us. We only have to beat this one to progress with the plot.

Here's my version of the following scene without Florinia talking like a robot.

No time to talk. I have to go and deal with the issue at Obsidia. See you later. Oh, looking to enter Obsidia yourself? Since you were a big help back at the factory, I'll let you in with me to help me with the current situation. *turns to cops* Can you guards let my friend in to help stop the bad plants?
Sure. *Moves out of the way*
There we go. Basically, something is causing the local flora to run amuck in Obsidia, terrorizing people and destroying poo poo. Meet me at the park ASAP. We'll find and destroy the source there

And here's the actual in-game version of this scene:

Enoby, Greetings. However, my immediate departure is necessitated. Obsidia remains in a volatile state condition. My attendance is mandatory. Farewell.
*Upper moves out of the way*
Reconsidering... Enoby, are you attempting to access the Obsidia Ward? The area remains currently restricted for all outside civilians in reaction to the damage currently being inflicted. However, given the previous assistance granted at the factory, an exception may be possible. This person may be able to assist the present situation in Obsidia. Is passage permissable?
Uhh, sure thing, Miss Florinia. *Lower moves out of the way*
Very well. Access granted. Situation briefing: An unknown force has recently begun continual engagement in the over-stimulation and manipulation of malignant flora life. Cause remains unknown, howver previous incidences of this behavior have resulted in large-scale destruction. Objective: Isolate and eliminate the source of the extraneous growth immediately. The target area has been narrowed to the Obsidia Park, housing the majority of floral species in the ward. Operation assets will assemble there. Do attend shortly. Farewell.

* leaves towards Obsidia*

Map of the Obsidia Ward

Music: Obsidia Ward

As Florinia and Victoria mentioned before, the Obsidia Ward is infested with these vines. And according to the map above they've really done a number on the place.

It is also infested with these trees, one of which is conveniently blocking the only tile we could've passed through to reach the park.

A bunch of people keep passing through here. Since the main street is blocked off, they're probably going the only other way: through the Slums.

Well that was an awkward intro to a trainer battle.

Also nice to see that everybody else has a phobia of going around cuttable trees as the average Pokemon player avatar.

Enoby! I'm not sure what to do. The main road is blocked off thanks to the plants destroying the city... The only other way is through the Obsidia Slums, down this way. I went in there, too, but it's dangerous! All these men kept trying to attack me, and it was like the debris in there was moving on its own! Enoby, are you going to go through the Slums? (Yes/No) I was worried you would say that. Isn't there anything I can say to stop you? It's really not safe. If you think you're strong enough, then prove it to me!

Victoria's team is just her evolved Pignite, a Makuhita from the Slums and a Ralts that Victoria must've gotten by importing from an earlier version. No guesses for what the Ralts will become later on.

Fine... Just promise me you'll be careful, okay? Keep a sharp eye. And, good luck.
* leaves to the north*

Here we are at the slums.

Music: Atmosphere - Dark Crystal (GlitchxCity's Mt. Coronet Remix v.II)
(Slowed-down version actually used here) (Original version)

...The very bleak and depressing slums, according to the music that necessitated slowing down a GlitchxCity remix of Mt. Coronet for that maximun bleakness factor.

Map of the Obsidia Slums with letters indicating which exit leads where

*Both of the 'G' exits take you outside on the top of the slums building where you'll enter the other exit.

It has Light Shards! They act as one-use Pokemon Centers and heal your party to full.

It has jumping mazes! Everybody loves those! You can jump through a 1-tile gap between one of these tiles. The perspective and the foreground obstructing your view make this annoying.

It has Scraggiesliving boxes!

The trainers here also has a lot to say about them:

Overcome the box... Be faster, smarter, stronger than the box.

I could've sworn I saw a box walk through here. Fourth one this week.

Sometimes I talk to this box. Sometimes it talks back.

Did a box just give birth to a Pokemon?

Following that box takes us here. Every time you try to 'talk' to the box after this one time, it moves as if it's a Strength boulder only without the requirement. It also resets its position when we reenter the room.

We push it out of the way, go through a bigger jumping maze in a room filled with more Japanese graffiti, and we'll reach a secret.

You can't take this egg (and send it to the PC) if you're already carrying 6 Pokemon at hand.

If you can (and do) take the egg, it can hatch into a Ducklett or a Drowzee based on a variable randomized at the start of the game (as with the Pachirisu/Zigzagoon and the Wingull/Panpour from before) so you can't savescum for one of the two.

Music: Evolution

In this case, it's a Ducklett egg. One nice thing I'll say about Pokemon Reborn is that each hatchable species of Pokemon has its own egg sprite.

These Pokemon hatching from this specific egg also have an extra move like with the Igglybuff and the Numel from before.

The Ducklett starts with Mirror Move, which is useless.

The Drowzee starts with Nasty Plot, which is much less useless.

Music: Wild Pokemon (GlitchxCity's X and Y Super Training Remix)

Speaking of Pokemon found here, we mainly run into Fighting-type Pokemon as random encounters, as well as Pidoves and Trubbishes.

List of all Pokemon found in the Obsidia Slums, as well as their shiny forms for anyone who cares.

This TM is here, I guess.

This Scraggy blocks our path. Perhaps the best way to resolve this conflict of interest is to talk to it:

In fact, it probably isn't.

Scr...

Boxes don't usually growl.

Or move for that matter.

...aggy!

This is definitely not a normal box.

All of that text is in the game itself, yes.

Before we chase the box, we have to take our attention to the kid standing in the corner.

That inverted No/Yes option is there to trick you for some reason. Saying 'No' triggers the battle, while saying 'Yes' cancels it.

Youngster Kai's team is not really notable except for the fact that his three Pokemon are Level 18-19, higher than the average level for the trainers here.

Awwwh, poo poo. I shouldn'ta said anything to begin with. I recognized you as the one that got gypped that rare Pokemon back in the Grand Hall. I figured, it ain't stealing if it's already stolen, so I spun a trick and made off with that rare Pokemon myself. Bought a week's worth of food from sellin' it to some gang member up in North Obsidia though. Gangs up there pay good cuz they take from Lapis. Anyway, Pokemon's not on me anymore, sorry mate!

Assuming it's a Magikarp, people could just get one of those from any other region that isn't surrounded by polluted waters. Yeah, the train is busted, but that shouldn't make Magikarp suddenly valuable overnight.

Moving on, there is this locked door on this room. We'll be coming for it later.

Let's just get this dungeon over with.

So here we are at one of the many instances of battles where the Pokemon are their own trainers.

As such, you can't capture these.

Here's their 'team', by the way. They can be a problem unless you've brought Flying-types or caught some of the slum's other resident Fighting-types for them.

Good news is that we're out of the Slums.

yourself south until the situation is resolved.

Bad news is that cops are making like trees and are randomly blocking this way to the park.

Unfortunately we'll have to listen to them and go trip some event flags in the Coral Ward before they'll let us into the park.

Ever since the lake became toxic, the pier shut down, and now it's more like a ghost town.

Map of the Coral Ward

Music: Coral Ward

He's not kidding, there's barely much about Coral Ward aside from the long cutscene regarding this girl that is mandatory to make the bad cops back in Obsidia disappear.

The folllowing italisized text is a paraphrased version of the following cutscene which is quite long for a scene where the only new development is "Cain gets a Oshawott": https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147939

I know I should be going to save Obsidia, but there's a random Oshawott trapped in that area over there, surrounded by water too toxic for Water-types to swim in!

*Cain appears*

Hey, Enoby! What are you doing with Amaria? She's our high-ranking Water-type Gym Leader don't you know?

I'm freaking out about that poor Oshawott.

Oh? That reminds me of a song~

* sings lyrics from this song from "Pokemon the Movie 2000" (https://youtu.be/eMwuE2hNg78) while he sends his Grimer for the Oshawott to ride safely to our side*

No, I'm not joking, in the actual dialogue linked above he does sing random lyrics from that.

why

Thank you, I guess. Say, that Oshawott wants to join you as thanks for saving it.

Okay. I usually work with Poison-types but I'm willing to make an exception here.

It also wants to go fight something. Can you battle Enoby with it?

okay

Cain's Team is just 3 low-tier Poison-type Pokemon plus one Level 15 Oshawott. Needless to say, EspurrRaven deals with them quite handily.

It also means that two of our rivals are mainly weak to Psychic-types.

The Misty Terrain comes to effect during battles in the Coral Ward. Fortunately it doesn't affect much of anything this battle.

Well that outcome was highly improbable, despite Enoby helping us with Team Meteor and beating a bullshit gym leader.

I'll be heading back to the Wasteland to meet with my sis. See you later.

Well this was a stupid diversion in retrospect. I'll be heading to the Obsidia Park to meet up with Flobot Florina Florinia Rini now. Join us ASAP.

Now that we've gotten Amaria back on track, the cops are gone and we can rush towards the park!

Yes. Greetings again.

We were waiting for you. Now that you're here, let's get started! These trees are blocking the way into the Park, but fortunately, they can be Cut down!

That should do the trick! Mind leading the way?

Sorry lady. Gonna show something off first regarding the trees here.

The map connection system refreshes trees when you enter a new map, even when they're out of reach of said map.

Will Amaria and Florinia be able to save Obsidia Ward from the machinations of-

No, no, stop! Ah--!

Well that question's been conveniently solved!

:what: isn't that mega evolution

Will Enoby be able to save Obsidia Ward from the machinations of Team Meteor?

Also next time:

What happens if we sequence break and cut this tree by hacking in Cut without going through the Slums or pretty much everything else in this update? Don't think I missed this opportunity, game.

New Music:

Obsidia Ward

Atmosphere - Dark Crystal (GlitchxCity's Mt. Coronet Remix v.II)
(Slowed-down version used in Obsidia Slums) (Original version)

Coral Ward

Old Music:

Wild Pokemon (GlitchxCity's X and Y Super Training Remix)

Trainer Battle (Original Hoenn Gym Leader Battle remix)

Rival Battle (GlitchxCity's Black 2 and White 2 Champion Iris Remix)

Normal Victory (GlitchxCity's Gym Leader Victory Remix) + Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions

Major Victory (GlitchxCity's Mystery Dungeon Primal Dialga Remix)

Evolution (Original remix)

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Bydoless, when you were showing the sprites for the Pokemon you could catch in the slums, you put two base Primeape sprites instead of the shiny Mankey sprite.

That should be fixed now. Thanks.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Given that both Wonder Trading and normal trading exists in this game, we can theoretically get a Pokemon with Cut before we've even fought Victoria back in the last update. And Julia's badge permits us to use Cut right now.

Okay, where did Florinia go to get to the park entrance?

If she got here through that tree, why didn't she cut the tree down for us? Yeah, tecnically it can be implied that Amaria was the one who gave me the Cut HM, but she is the Grass-type gym leader and thus should have a copy of the Cut HM herself.

If she got here through the slums, why were those cops on the other side of the slums blocking me from entering the park? She allowed the cops from the Opal Ward to permit me access to Obsidia in the first place, why didn't she do the same to the cops blocking access to the park?

:psyduck:

Speaking of the cops, if we ignore the two gym leaders and tried to go back here, the cops are blocking the way.

If we cut down that tree directly blocking the park entrance or talk to the gym leaders and get the Cut HM, the main storyline variable advances.

In fact, in advances so far as to completely nullify a lot of the story poo poo from the previous update up to here. This spans from Victoria blocking the entry to the slums, to the Scraggy gang stuff, to the cutscene with Cain and that Oshawott, to those cops blocking the way.

Oh and we can make Pokemon forget HM moves normally here, which is probably why they're renamed TMXs now.

This can be a problem if we used Cut to get rid of that tree guarding the park without talking to those gym leaders to get the HM for Cut in the first place.

Cutting that tree initiates the event where they run off and get caught by the Tangrowth, which means you can screw yourself out of that HM (possibly permanently).

Up to the "Episode 14" release of the game, the Tangrowth actually turned the Obsidia Park into a whole dungeon.

Here's the full-sized map for the now-unused overgrown Obsidia Park.

Here you would have encountered a couple Meteor Grunts and some of the Pokemon normally found in the Obsidia Park on your way to the Tangrowth.

It also made use of the Forest terrain during battles.

Said Forest terrain background actually looked like a background with trees prior to now. Not sure why it got 'overhauled' into an awful-looking bunch of rectangular gradients it is now.

I'll be covering the Forest terrain at the end of this update. The Tangrowth in this version of the game has no special terrain to screw you over, but the Tangrowth you fight in this unused dungeon has the Forest terrain assisting it, and we'll need context to see how bad the fight was before.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Music: Sinister Uprising

The following italicized text is a paraphrased version of the linked cutscene: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147994

Eve, make the Tangrowth work faster before more of those twerps come and jeopardize our plans! It's a miracle those two gym leaders' idea of stopping us were 'run in and hope for the best'.

No can do, it's Level 22. I'm a scientist, not a miracle worker.

Well, while this young lady's here, let's introduce... um... 'ourselves' I guess.

I'm Zero. I'm the big brain leading this operation.

I'm Eve. I'm the nerd brain who made this PULSE Machine. You put a Pokemon in it and its destructive potential increases a hundredfold! It also gets uglier due to mutation, but what the hey.

I'm Lumi and I'm a lamebrain, I think!

Yes, we are 3 different people in one body. Why, we dunno. Just call us ZEL.

Sorry but your quest will be over here. Take our PULSE Tangrowth and farewell!!

Okay ZEL's VS portrait is owtheedge.png.

Music: Meteor Admin Battle (Original remix of the GSC Champion Battle theme)

And that battle music manages to be even edgier somehow holy poo poo.

The trainer sprite looks nothing like the VS sprite what even is this what the holy gently caress is wrong with everything.

With all of this poo poo coming at us surely the star of this update would follow suit.

Holy gently caress it's the most stupid looking thing I've ever seen this is so stupid and I hate everything and fangames make me want to be dead and so on and so fourth and now it's dead. :geno:

If you're expecting a big showdown between me and this thing, then I'm glad to disappoint you.**

Music: Major Victory (GlitchxCity's Mystery Dungeon Primal Dialga Remix)

Eve: Okay, who had the bright idea not to fight this twerp with our own Pokemon?

Lumi: It was me. Sorry about that Miss Tangrowth.

Zero: Eve, you said this Tangrowth would be stronger in battle as well!

Eve: Actually, its defensive stats have more than doubled thanks to this machine... at the cost of its offensive stats and its speed. And apparently this squirrel's attack ignores defense, so...

Zero: :what: We're taking the machine and getting the hell out of dodge. Enjoy your victory while you can, twerp.

Good thing Enoby defeated that thing so quickly. I was actually getting strangled by that vine. I'm gonna try and forget that when I report to Ame.

* leaves through the south exit.*

Well that was embarassing. I'll just go and wait for you at the Onyx Ward's gym. Bye.

* leaves through the east exit.*

Before we continue on, I really must rant about this thing.

That is seriously Mega Evolution except done with a stupid machine acting as a Mega Stone.

Isn't it already transformed in the overworld map? Couldn't they do something like Giratina with the Griseous Orb and make it so that the PULSE item makes it start the battle already transformed?

You may be wondering how bad it can get if you're fighting it normally without Bide or inflated stats due to trade experience bonuses.

This bad. Don't fight enemies like this normally. You will cry.

As it's Grass/Poison in this form, it takes somewhat decent damage from a STAB Psybeam.

This may be skewed as we have a Level 23 Espurr with Psybeam which is most likely not a thing in a normal blind playthrough at this point.

Speaking of which, the game seems to favor Psychic-types in this part of the game. From 2 of our three rivals' main types being weak to Psychic, the third rival's ace also being weak to Psychic, and now this.

As the Tangrowth went through what is clearly Mega Evolution, its stats are also changed.

Here's Tangrowth's base stats before and after the PULSE mutation:

pre:
Type:            Grass->Grass/Poison
Ability:         ???->Filter (Reduces Super-Effective damage by 3/4)
HP:              100->100
Attack:          100-> 70
Defense:         125->200
Speed:            50-> 10
Special Attack:  110-> 70
Special Defense:  50->160
Total:           535->610
The good news is that its attacking stats are lower than that of a normal Tangrowth, thank god.

The bad news is that in return, its defense stats are raised to ridiculous levels, and with Filter it reduces non-STAB super-effective attacks to the same effectiveness as normal STAB attacks because gently caress you.

I'm pretty sure the main reason its Speed is dropped to 10, slower than a Snorlax's, is to make sure its base stat total is less than 100 more than a normal Tangrowth's stat total, and thus not Mega Evolution. :smug:

The Tangrowth has for each stat 33 EVs and 7 IVs. The 33 EVs are generated from the Pokemon's level times x1.5.

The Tangrowth also has the Calm Nature which boosts Special Defense but lowers Attack.

Take all of that together and the result is this monstrosity:***

For comparison, here's the stats of everybody I've been seriously leveling up to this point:****

ZEL's strategy is have Tangrowth power itself up with Growth and reduce your Sepcial Defense with Acid Spray. This allows it to eventually do massive damage and massive healing with Mega Drain.

This fight's not only a battle of attrition but also a battle where you have to beat the opponent as quickly as possible before the Tangrowth can power itself up enough to wipe you.

(Un)fortunately PULSE Tangrowth is nowhere near as bad as the many other examples like it, since at least you'll probably have either Espurr or Woobat to fill the role of the Psychic-type at this point, so you have something that can deal some damage normally before it can set itself up to kill you.

The usual intended way to beat it and anything else like it, though, is to lower its stats. Here we can lower its Special Defense with Trubbish's Acid Spray and then kill it before it wipes you.

Later on, we'll encounter Pokemon like this that can also sweep you from the start, where that option becomes less viable. Bide also doesn't work against such foes like it does here since, you have to survive two turns.

Thankfully, if we're smart enough, we can beat them via less painful methods.

For example, we have Perish Song. Okay, you may not even known that the Igglybuff can start with Perish Song, but it's there.

Igglybuff evolves by friendship, which means it can evolve at a reasonable level if you know what you're doing.

And it turns out we can find a Moon Stone in the slums to evolve it again into something tanky (at least for this part of the game).

Also we have Quick Claw, so if worse comes to worst and even surviving to pull off Perish Song becomes impossible, savescumming until Quick Claw procs is your best bet, and is probably still less painful than trying to beat one of these things legit.

There are other ways to cheese these kinds of fights or problematic Pokemon in general, but we'll cover them later.

Now that we've covered the current version of the Tangrowth fight, let's cover the Forest terrain that we would've been forced to fight it in had we've been playing the 'Episode 14' release.

I'll just cover here what was relevant to the fight before it was nerfed while putting all the details of the Forest terrain behind this gif link:

The Forest terrain boosts 3 out of Tangrowth's 4 moves. It makes its Growth move boost Attack and Special Attack by 2 stages each, and it boosts its Mega Drain and Vine Whip attacks by x1.5.

This means that even more so than the current version of the fight, you'll have to cheese it to prevent it from quickly overpowering you.

The only upside to fighting the Tangrowth in the Forest terrain is that you can create the Burning Field terrain using certain Fire-type moves.

It won't cover the Burning Field here, but it basically wrecks the Tangrowth.

Problem is, you won't know that you can do this, especially since you won't even learn that there even is a Burning Field terrain in the first place.

Worse, out of the Pokmeon we can get right now, only Numel and Pansear can learn such moves.

The former has Flame Burst upon getting it, but there's no indication that it can even be obtained at this point, and the latter learns Flame Burst at level 22.

To conclude:

Credit to Panzer Skank's LP of OFF which you should play or read if you haven't yet.

Now that we got that hurdle out of the way, we are going to be collecting some more Pokemans before we challenge Florinia. Should be more relaxing than what we had to go through.

Um...

I hate jinxing myself.

**I had to reduce Ceodore's level from level 20 because otherwise it would have to be hit during both charging turns with critical hits in order to lose 40+ HP needed to deal more than the Tangrowth's 79 HP in the final blow, and that would take a lot of savescumming.

***I created this screenshot by generating a new Pokemon entry via Debug stuff with the PULSE Tangrowth's battle sprite and stats and the normal Tangrowth's menu icon and details.

****The levels for the menu Ebony/Blitzle and Raven/Espurr are lower than the ones shown actually fighting the Tangrowth because those were from an earlier test playthrough.

New Music:

Meteor Admin Battle (Original remix of the GSC Champion Battle theme)

Old Music:

Major Victory (GlitchxCity's Mystery Dungeon Primal Dialga Remix)

Sinister Uprising

Bydoless fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 26, 2017

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

MiracleFlare posted:

Actually pretty nice, for something I slammed my face into by accident. I forgot to do any testing on how it worked, though, particularly with any three-ability Pokemon. (If I missed this part in the LP anywhere, sorry for bringing up old news.)

Yeah I covered most of the item locations from the Opal and Peridot Wards in the first major update of the LP, and that was one of them.

In this fangame where hidden abilities are considered normal abilities, that Ability Capsule runs into an issue with Pokemon with three abilities. Instead of giving you a choice between the two abilities your Pokemon doesn't have, it goes to the next Ability in the cycle.

Which means if you want say a Blitzle with Lightningrod to have Sap Sipper, you'd have to use two Ability Capsules, because the first one will shift it to Motor Drive without giving you a choice.

GirlCalledBob posted:

The worst part is, as far as I can tell, there's no reason for that tree to be there? It's not blocking anything, there's no doorway or area exit behind it, it doesn't look like there's even anywhere for a hidden item to be. It's a completely pointless cut tree, in the worst possible place.
Someone please correct me and say there's at least a reason for this stupidity.

The PULSE Tangrowth is apparently so dastardly that it not only spawns vines, but also those cut trees as well.

Beating it makes those cut trees disappear, as well as the rest of the cut trees in the Obsidia Ward, including the one that made us go through the Slums in the first place.

And while we're on the subject of MegaPULSE Tangrowth, there's apparently a hard mode mod for this game mentioned on this game's TV Tropes page:

quote:

On June 16, 2015, a Pokémon Reborn forum user named Solarance created a mod for the game called Pokémon Reborn Hardcore (although he later passed control of the project to Commander, another Pokémon Reborn forum user). The mod seeks to make the already Nintendo Hard base game even harder; for example, it gives Gym Leaders from the fourth Gym on (as well as certain other bosses) Mega Evolutions...

Giving "Gym leaders from the foruth gym on Mega Evolutions" doesn't actually sound so extreme when we're fighting what are basically Mega Evolved Pokemon with minmaxed stats between the first and second gyms, does it.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Music: Obsidia Ward

Now that we've beaten the PULSE Tangrowth, all the vines and cut trees disappear from the Obsidia Ward.

First, let's go to this alleyway. The entrance was blocked by a cut tree earlier, which means we could've technically gone here right before fighting the PULSE Tangrowth, or if we've did some trading trickery, right after beating Julia and one or more trainers at the Opal Bridge.

There are some trainers here, but screw them, we got more important things, like finding Pokemans.

Lot's of different Pokemon come and hang out in this alley. Like, did you know there's a family of Plusle and Minun living right behind me? They're really shy so it's hard to coax them out unless you have food...

Stepping on this tile randomly spawns a Plusle or Minun we can obtain by giving them a Pokesnax. This event resets when you exit the alley. So you can get as many of these as you want.

At night there's these two alpha dogs picking on a beta.

Music: Trainer Battle (Original Hoenn Gym Leader Battle remix)

Meet the doggos from hell. Since I didn't pick up any Fighting-types at this point, we'll have to do things the hard way.

Beating those two grants us an electric dog. If you want to savescum for a good dog, please bring some Fighting-types from the slums or just cheese them with Perish Song.

If you come here while it's not nighttime, you can find this fella instead.

*munch munch munch* ...Leo--? Litleo!?

Litleo got spooked and ran off!

You will find the Litleo in this house. Attempting to talk to it makes it run down those stairs into another part of the Underground Railnet.

Chasing it down here forces us into a battle with this rear end in a top hat.

This is the MECHANIGHTMARE.

This is the MECHANIGHTMARE's stats. Thanks to its unreasonably high level, it's not only more powerful initially than the PULSE Tangrowth, it's also more durable.

This was from a single Mirror Shot while Light Screen was active.

On top of that, this thing is immune to both poison and stat changes, which means we'll have to cheese this thing in order to beat it at this point.

It can attack with either Mirror Shot or two attacking moves. One way of beating it without something like Bide, or Perish Song is to drain its 10 PP for Mirror Shot, and still have one Electric-immune Pokemon left over, at which point it will be unable to damage you and you can kill it slowly but surely.

You can also do this.

Music: Normal Victory (GlitchxCity's Gym Leader Victory Remix)

This Litleo only has a natural Level 18 moveset, not worth fighting this thing for.

In an earlier version the reward was more worthy of such bullshit. IIRC it was a Vulpix that could've had the Drought ability.

The Obsidia Park has random encounters, as indicated by the telltale patches of grass.

We can find a seemingly empty building here in the Park. This will be important later for the wrong reasons.

The park houses Sentrets. We'll need to catch and evolve one of those for a thing.

We can trade it for this Castform here. Meh.

We can also find Sunflora in the Obsidia Park, but not its pre-evo.

Which reminds me. There's this Daycare Center over here. Maybe we can breed up a Sunkern for shits and gigg-

...or not. :smith:

You're supposed to pester these obvious fakes by alternating between talking to the old lady and the old man.

Eventually they'll give up pretending and try to beat us up, to no avail.

It's no use anyway, we hid those useful idiots very far away, and hid the key to their holding place farther away. You'd best give up on them now! We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

Exposing the fake daycare couple silently spawns a key here in this previous empty building in the Obsidia Park. Like the Meteor Grunts planning to steal the Igglybuff earlier, this is another case where a building is absolutely empty until you trip some flags.

There's also this Spoink. It only appears here from 6 PM to 8 PM, and is actually somewhat relevant to our Daycare sidequest.

Music: Coral Ward

Back in the Coral Ward, we can use our newfound key on these warehouses. The bad news is that it doesn't work on this warehouse.

The good news is that it works on the rest of these warehouses.

Even better is that the Daycare Couple are saved and the Daycare is now available! :unsmith:

Nothing left there on that warehouse, so let's move on to this warehouse.

Nothing here, since this grunt already transferred all the stolen Pokemon (including a Ditto hint hint) somewhere else.

I guess that's it for that. Let's see what's in here.

Nothing here but a Sea Incense and the Spoink. From the grunt's dialogue earlier I suppose this was the Pokemon that escaped from those stolen by the fake couple, which implies that this was somebody else's Spoink, but here it's considered wild and thus officially ours once we obtain it. :thunk:

In the Coral Ward, we can find this Ultra Potion. It heals 120 HP because a Hyper Potion's 200 HP is too OP for us.

And even then it's so OP we're supposed to give it to this kid in exchange for a Skitty because the kid is too stubborn to take it to the Pokemon Center, which is right beside their house. Really.

Said Skitty also has a quirk. If you accept the grandma's initial request to take the Skitty, it starts at Level 20 with Wish, Zen Headbutt, or Sucker Punch.

You can decline the initial request to take the Skitty, and then take it later. If you do, it reverts to Level 15 with an all-natural moveset.

Scripting!

There's this blind girl who, to say the least, is really insecure about her disability and will constantly berate us for thinking we're better than her even though we can't say anything, being Pokemon protagonists.

She gives us three questions based on where we've been up to this point, the third of which basically requires you to have dev knowledge of what constitutes an 'individual' machine in the Peridot Gym's front area and thus figure out that there are 23 of them there.

She also berates us and thinks we're the blind one if we miss any of them, even though it's not a matter of seeing them, miss, it's keeping them in my head.

Here's the whole dialogue tree, if you want to see how much :smug: she can exert.

She gives us the Misty Terrain information if we fully pass the test. I've already covered the Misty Terrain earlier, so I'll just put everything in this gif link.

When it's mildly raining (not heavy rain or thunderstorming) and you have a ScoobyPokeSnax, you can give a snack to this Lotad. It has nothing special move-wise, though.

We're done with the Coral Ward for right now. Our next goal is to reunite this boy with his mom back in the Obsidia Ward. Just talking to this kid is enough to convince his mom you've found him.

She gives you an Ability Capsule. While hidden abilities are considered normal abilities, they don't give you a choice for Pokemon with 3 potential abilities. They instead just 'rotate' the current ability. So a Blitzle with Motor Drive will need 2 Ability Capsules to rotate to Lightningrod.

:effort:

Now it's time to visit this salon right by where we found the kid. Normally we can pay up $2000 to raise a Pokemon's happiness via grooming it. However...

We can interfere in the capitalist system and help this salon get its customers back from the dastardly Central Salon.

The event flag that allows you to tell the Glamazonia owner(?) about the lower ($1500) price doesn't trigger here unless you've already been told to come here, and in fact if you've already gotten somebody groomed here recently, you'll be unable to set that flag until the game allows you to use the Central Salon again.

Scripting! Again!

There's also this woman that measures your Pokemon's happiness.

These two messages I'm showing are for Pokemon with 220 happiness or greater, which is relevant because...

Apparently Reborn is so terrible (big shocker, right) that this woman can't think of a single instance of anybody giving a poo poo about their Pokemon.

We need to break her cynicism with a Pokemon with 220 happiness or greater in order to get a Soothe Bell from her.

We get a Glameow for contributing to the capitalist system.

Whichever one you pick will always have the natural Level 20 moves, so blah.

True to RPG form they reduced the grooming price literally as soon as we did that sidequest. :capitalism:

Music: Atmosphere - High Energy (Sinnoh Game Corner Remix)

Here's our next stop.

chance at a fantastic prize? (Yes/No) Excellent! All you have to do is arrange the tiles to form the proper picture. Rotate the tiles using Shift, and move them with the selection key.

It's a Ruins of Alph puzzle.

There's a difference between the unfinished picture on the left (with the cursor) and the finished picture on the right (without the cursor). Guess what it is.

If you guessed right, a Swirlix is your reward. You can also get an unlimited number of these by exiting the store, which resets this flag and you can then do the puzzle again (which you already know the answer to) to get another Swirlix.

Scripting! Again!

Surprisingly enough, Rare Candies can be bought here. They can also be sold for $10000 because of their high price due to how selling works in Pokemon.

The cheaper candies in that list are all expensive status heal items that apparently boost friendship when used.

any money... ...Hey... Is that Chocolate Ice Cream you have there? Hey... Could I have it? Pretty please? (Yes/No) Yayyy! Thank you, thank you tons! Imma go eat it outside, 'kay? Bye-bye!

If you're wondering where I got that Chocolate Ice Cream, I got it the only way possible at this point:

I got it from Pickup. :v:

Ice cream are this fangame's version of the drinks from the official games.

Vanilla Ice Cream heals for 30 HP.

Chocolate Ice Cream heals for 70 HP.

StrawBerry Ice Cream heals for 90 HP.

Why does the 'Vanilla Ice Cream' cost so much for so little gain?

Still not worth the $1000.

That's more appropriate.

Next up, the Department Store. So soon, yes, but there's a stupid catch. Basically to access each and every floor beyond the second, we need to collect stickers from staff members and random strangers.

Presumably this is to preserve their 'limited stock' to their 'most loyal customers'. Problem is, their system basically encourage you to steal from other 'loyal' members and not actually shop at their store at all. That seems the opposite of 'loyal' to me.

:capitalism:

When its heavily raining (but not thunderstorming), you can find these Hoppip flying around the left entrance to the slums.

They can have the Grassy Terrain move, which generates another canon terrain that got 'improved' for Pokemon Reborn. I'll just pit in the details in this gif link:

While we're nearby the slums, we can demonstrate a demonstrate a glitch in said slums. Remember this movable box?

The diagonal stairs used in Reborn don't function normally. The function as normal tiles unless you're pushing against the edges, in which the edges' event tiles push you diagonally.

Well, in this pic, I'm actually stuck. I can pull up the menu, but I can't move since I'm in the event attempting to push me diagonally but can't because the box is in the way.

If you've saved here and didn't have an Escape Rope or anything to get out of here, you're stuck here.

Oh, and if you've went in from the left entrance here, than nothing can save you at this point. Even when you escape with the Escape Rope, the game still attempts to do the 'diagonal walk' event but can't because the wall is in the way.

:suicide:

Thankfully this game has a backup system or there will be hell to pay.

On the topic of glitches, here's another one.

The South and Mid sections of the Obsidia Ward share a section of the map with each other. Turns out the 'Potion' the Itemfinder is seeking is in both maps, but only reachable in the upper map. Therefore, when we collect it there, the copy in the south map still exists, just unreachable and disappears when we load the upper map.

Let's go into this building by the slums.

So we need to chase this pupper.

It hides in five places, all throughout the places we've been up to this point, from the Coral Ward all the way back to the North Peridot Ward.

We need to find it in two of these five places, of which it picks at random, in order for it to run to the Onyx Ward for the last part of the sidequest.

Music: Onyx Ward
Map of the Onyx Ward

There we can find the pup and its owner pooped out on the side here.

Bleh.

For exposing the fake Daycare Couple, we get an egg that either hatches to a Cacnea or a Seel. Perish Song is nice, but Seel/Dewgong isn't quite as tanky as Wigglytuff.

To the right of that is the Move Tutor's house. Too bad it's locked.

Oh, dear, oh, dear... I lost the key to my home. I must've dropped it somewhere, but where? I'll keep looking... I have to find it.

It's also bad that the Move Tutor standing next to us can't help us for some reason.

Music: Atmosphere - High Energy (Sinnoh Game Corner Remix)

To the right of that is the Game Corner Onyx Arcade. We don't have a Coin Case yet, but since we're getting that next update, and that the ever exploitable Voltorb Flip game is here too...

Let's scam them with a bunch of fake coins. The TMs are okay, but the Pokemon are meh to useless.

I see the developers' egos are starting to show.

Next time: The gym. Compared to the overleveled MECHANIGHTMARE and the PULSE Tangrowth, how bad can it be?

Music: To Greater Heights (Slowed Down)

Apparently really bad, according to that music.

Misc:

List of all Pokemon we can find right now.

Map of the Obsidia/Onyx/Coral area

Map of all the Wards we've encoutnered at this point

New Music:

Atmosphere - High Energy (Sinnoh Game Corner Remix)

Onyx Ward

To Greater Heights (GlitchxCity's Mystery Dungeon Sky Tower Remix)
Slowed down version used in the Onyx Gym Trainer's School / Version used in Julia's gym

Old Music:

Trainer Battle (Original Hoenn Gym Leader Battle remix)

Normal Victory (GlitchxCity's Gym Leader Victory Remix)

Obsidia Ward

Coral Ward

Atmosphere - Dark Crystal (GlitchxCity's Mt. Coronet Remix v.II)
(Slowed-down version used in Obsidia Slums) (Original version)

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

shroomich posted:

There actually is a pokemon in here:

It's partially hidden behind the foreground.

Ah, so it is.

Waffleman_ posted:

I hate that this is all set in one city so we don't loving know where we're going, what our goal is, or how close we are. Just loving doing random poo poo.

I guess the bright side is that we can technically go to the Onyx Ward and its gym right after beating the PULSE Tangrowth.

The bad news is that you'd be looking for better Pokemon everywhere and the game just won't give them to you.

Problem is that this game prioritizes collecting as many Pokemon as possible through side quests, and yet attempts to up the difficulty by limiting the ones you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

:rimshot:

Music: To Greater Heights (Slowed Down)

But see, I know you, Enoby. You don't deserve to challenge her. You're not good enough. And I'm not going to let you. Trey, go tell the other kids not to let Enoby in. Skye, go hit the switch for the gate.

*The other kids leave to the right*

Maybe you don't understand why I'm doing this, Enoby. It's not like I'm trying to stick up for the Flobot. But it's a matter of our family, and our school's pride.

*Fern leaves to the left*

Ooooooh boy. We are off to a roaring start.

Once, there were four girls- all roommates- who graduated from here to be gym leaders. Every one of them! Wouldn't it be neat to do something like that with just your friends?

Obviously Julia is the best! She's so hyper and fun! Kaaaaaaaa--

No way. Titania is wicked cool. She doesn't take poo poo from anyone.

How can you guys say Florinia isn't the kindest? She's the one who stayed behind and to take over this school and teach us!

The best has gotta be Amy. She's so nice, and yet really strong, and cute, and... I'm so jealous.

At this point we've met all of these mentioned gym leaders but Titania. The game doesn't make it clear, but 'Amy' is actually Amaria, the Water Gym Leader we've met earlier.

Whatever. I never saw you.

You know how Julia's gym was two rooms long, one of which just has Julia and her arena?

Florinia's school is a bit different.

Here's a map of the whole thing, where trainers are marked with rectangles.

That's amazing, considering the current acting principal is only a graduate of two years.

Well that doesn't sound sueish at all.

Music: Trainer Battle (Original Hoenn Gym Leader Remix)

Fern apparently told the student body to keep you away from Florinia at all costs. However, most of their dialogue is this:

:hehe: Hey, you're that foreigner. Fern told me to give you a bad ti-

*loses*

:geno: Nevermind. gently caress Fern anyway.

Stupid, stupid! I finally just earned the points I needed and then the Onyx Arcade's system goes down! Stupid, stupid, stupid! I quit! I'm done! I can't do this anymore! Hey. Hey you, you know what? Take this! I won't need it anymore. I'm moving on.

Stupid...

So we get a Coin Case. Since Voltorb Flip is a thing that exists, there's no reason not to just spawn a bunch of coins like in last update since the only thing separating you from those 'wonderful' prizes otherwise is a bunch of flipping and looking up solutions.

This room.

It's apparently the room where the gym leaders mentioned before shared while they were studying here.

They also left their diaries behind. They are terrible, so I'll just summarize to ease the pain.

Florinia/Rini

I decided that having emotions and thus keeping archives interferes with 'work efficiency' for some reason. So I'll just stop with those inferior qualities. Goodbye.

Amaria/Amy

HELP! I have everything I could ever want, including a lesbian partner in Tania, but I still feel sad! My cheerfulness and happiness are fake! I must have depression or something! HELP!

Julia/Michelle Bay

Good news is that I'm Cheerleading Captain now! Bad news is that Amy gave it up for some reason. She won't celebrate with me since she's too busy with Tania, and Rini is too busy not having emotions to celebrate as well! I'll just go to sleep, then.

Titania/Tania

STOP! READING! OTHER! PEOPLE'S! DIARIES! I don't like you, and I don't talk to people like you.

Hey! Samson! You're the strongman for the Agate Circus and the 'reserve' gym leader for the Fighting-type gym, right? Do you have any 'facts' for me?

Oh god please it better not be what I think it is...

...And last time that Gardevoir was 'interviewing' a kid...

Give me a second.

:fuckoff: Pokemon Reborn, everyone! :suicide:

And I was just, uhm, wondering if you wanted to maybe... grab out sometime-- I mean, grab a bite! Go out! drat it! Okay, okay, calm down. I got this...

Here's this kid. If we 'talk' to him by his left...

And I was just, uhm, wondering if you wanted to maybe...

Well then.

I think you can portray a locked door from the side better than that.

:effort:

Item balls are color-coded according to what type of thing they contain. There's that yellow ball with the Quash TM back in the slums...

...and there's this green ball with the Desert Terrain information. This is conveniently Florinia's terrain of choice for this update's gym battle.

The same Florinia that gave us the data on Julia's Electric Terrain. The game is having fun with irony here.

Here's a shortcut I guess.

Unlike Julia's gym, this has actual puzzles. We have infinite tries to answer each question, and there are no reprecussions for failing. We need solve these questions to open the door to Florinia.

The only types of questions are true/false questions and "input a number questions".

Earl's Pokemon Academy this is not.

The answers are mostly based on these books scattered throughout the school. As you can see, the devs love to show off their Smogon know-how and throw a bunch of competitive lingo which will not be relevant for a long time, if ever.

Thankfully, Smogon University Onyx Trainer's School's students aren't quite as Smoon-tier as those books. So I don't even know.

This question seems normal enough.

Looking at the Gen VI level learn list for Starmie indicates it's level 1, intended to be learned via the Move Relearner.

Nope!

According to this school it's Level 0. Small difference, I'm sure.

Hold on.

Either this school isn't very smart or this universe is more screwed-up than usual.

Music: Normal Victory (Gym Leader Victory Remix) + Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions

:confused: Gate Key? Such a key never comes up here. All the gates here open without such things.

And now...

Sigh. Those dumb kids can't do anything right, can they? Look, Enoby, really, don't take it personally, you're just a loser. Plain and simple.

Said by the guy with only 3 Grass-types. You try and take on one of those PULSE Tangrowths. Spoilers there's more than one. I'd like to see you try.

So really, by not letting you embarass yourself in our gym, I'm doing YOU a favor. And you won't even thank me!

Why are you concerned about me losing to Florinia? Is is because you don't want me outmatching your precious shithole of a school? Your shithole of a region?

Or is it the devs channeling their hatred of the player onto you?

But it's fine. I got ya. Now, just turn around, go home, and give up.

Do I even live here? If I don't, than no can do, Fern. Train's busted.

...Yeah, I didn't really think you'd be smart enough to listen to me. Fine, have it your way, man.

Music: Rival Battle (Black 2 and White 2 Champion Iris Remix)

Oh boy 1 vs 3 will Fern get his revenge against the monster rampaging throughout his blessed region?

Swag Jockey Fern

Level 23 Lombre

Level 24 Servine

Level 25 Roselia

What am I even saying to piss off everybody? I though Pokemon protagonists were mute (and incapable of emotion, according to Pokemon Sun and Moon).

First the blind girl, now Fern?

Music: Major Victory (Mystery Dungeon Primal Dialga Remix)

Looks like ya got dunked on, kid.

You're infuriating, really. You think you're SO cool, just because you're doing the whole Gym League thing, huh? No, you know what? Two can play at that game, Enoby. If a second rate trainer like you can do it, then I won't have any problem sweeping the Reborn League. I should thank you, Enoby. But I'm not going to. I've got things to do. Later, loser!

I'm not completely sure if the game wants us to be on Fern's side here, but I think this is another example of how much the game doesn't want us to have fun.

I also think this is the game pulling a "LOL UR THE RIVAL" in protest to all those 'rivals' in recent Pokemon games that aren't really rivals so much as friends you fight once in a while.

I got something you can't get else around here, I think it might help you out. Wanna take a look?

After beating Fern, we can buy Super Potions by the right entrance of the school. Unfortunately he disappears when we beat Florinia.

Ame's telecom is back again, basically telling us to cheese Florinia either with brute force or Sand Attack. We'll be doing the former here.

Why did Fern lock that other gate from the beginning of the update (that's mysteriously unlocked now) if we can't even get through this gate to Florinia's arena without answering those question terminals?

Music: To Greater Heights (GlitchxCity's Mystery Dungeon Sky Tower Remix)

Your assistance in Meteor-related affairs is appreciated, however, that alone fails to merit the appropriation of a badge. In order to determine eligibility for badge-ownership, further testing is required. Do not mistake the impartial application of these tests as unthankfulness. It is simply procedure. Accordingly, let us begin.

The demonstration will commence. Hypothesis: Subject possesses insufficient data for conclusive results. Expected outcome: Failure.

Original Music: Gym Leader Battle (X and Y Legendary Battle Remix)

Music used in the video: Academy Battle (Pokemon Stadium 2)

Video of a Hariyama wrecking poo poo/Screenshot demonstration of the battle

Again is the time for :spergin:. Get comfy.

Meet Sumomus. Florinia depends on setup to do real damage, which doesn't work when Belly Drum allows Sumomus to oneshot everything she has with +6 Force Palms.

He also starts at Level 24 because he'll gain a level during the fight, and going above the level cap, even during a battle, will trigger the disobedience penalty.

Here's stuff about the Desert terrain.

There's absolutely no way to permanently get rid of the terrain for this battle. I've tried. I've turned it into the Grassy Terrain via Hoppip and set it aflame using Numel's Flame Burst and had Castform doused it with Rain Dance and still it reverted into the desert terrain.

Unlike Julia, who powers herself up with Charge Beam to sweep your team and blows you up with overpowered Explosions, Florinia in theory is more tame.

Florinia's main strategy is to spam grass-based and sand-based residual damage, from Sand Tomb to Leech Seed to Sandstorm. On that front, she doesn't have anything like Toxic or Stealth Rock, so she's not as dastardly as she could've been.

Aside from the Cradily, she would've made a better first gym leader than Julia, especially since her Grass-type team is more vulnerable to supereffective hits than Julia's Electric-types.

That doesn't mean we can curbstomp her with a team like this like we did Julia. This team managed to win, but not without sacrificing both Pokemon and items.

Below is Florinia's team as of Episode 16. Click here to get more information if you want:

As we can see her team is much closer to the current obedience cap than Julia's was, so we can't win via overlevelling.

I tried to give Ebony Sap Sipper via those Ability Capsules to neuter her offense. Problem is, out of all her Pokemon's movesets, she only has 2 directly damaging Grass-type moves: Her Maractus' Needle Arm and her Breloom's Mega Drain.

Her Cradily is a bastard of a staller. It just has Smack Down and Sandstorm for damage, but its loving Recover will guarantee it'll last too long for comfort unless you've prepared beforehand.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Music: Major Victory (Mystery Dungeon Primal Dialga Remix)

* Received the Canopy Badge!*
The Canopy Badge encourages proper behavior among Pokemon up to Level 35. Additionally, as per custom, accept this TM.
* Obtained the TM96 containing Nature Power!*
Nature Power varies based on the terrain and Field Effects in which it is used. To use it effectively, one must exercise proper knowledge and understanding-- a staple of an effective trainer. Use it wisely. Where do you intend to go now? If you do not have other intentions, I have one final request for you. Because of my status as Leader and faculty at this school, I cannot stray far from it right now. However, there is still a crisis in this city. As you no doubt know, the Jasper and Beryl Wards have been ransacked by the same machination as Obsidia. However, whereas we caught Obsidia in a budding state, we were not so fortunate with those wards. Being that you alone have had the successful experience of terminating the previously active project, I ask you venture to the Jasper Ward. Discover if there is not a similar plot behind the destruction there. If you will acquiesce, I have created another application that may be of service to you.
* Received the PULSE Dex!*
This will install to your Pokegear, and will read data output from the PULSE Machine we encountered before. I have already entered the data obtained regarding the Tangrowth you engaged, but any future subjects must be added separately. It may be possible to find print-outs for each machine in an area near their application, so remain watchful. I might wish you good luck, however, luck is merely an illusory essentialization of statistics, and is neither inherently good or bad. Regardless, farewell.

TL,DR:

A win is a win. I'll just stay here while you go to the Jasper Ward and take care of more vines. To assist, I'll give you the Canopy Badge to raise the level cap to 35, the TM for Nature Power, and this PULSE Dex. You should be able to find data for any future PULSE Pokemon you'll face. Farewell.

That 10 level increase from our previous level cap seems nice compared to the 5 level increments for most other badges, but there's actually a very terrible reason behind it that we'll find out soon.

In other bad news...

Not only are we not done with PULSE Pokemon, but we're going to fight another PULSE Tangrowth soon.

Guess the beatdown was too much for the camera that it forgot to recenter after the battle.

The "Control weather" command is from an unofficial mod. It allows us to control the weather.

Credit goes to Waynolt from the Pokemon Reborn forums for this mod.

Unfortunately, the only good link to it is in the modder's signature, which is only accessible to forum members.

After beating Florinia, this Petilil appears in the park during harsh sunlight.

Give it a Pokesnax and you get a boring thing.

Also only appearing under the harsh sun is this ice cream stand. The prices are cheaper than those of the ice cream vending machine in the candy shop, but the 'harsh sun' overworld weather is so rare that it's not worth triggering it outside of the aforementioned mod.

Misc:

The contents of each book in the Onyx Trainer's School. Prepare to see a bunch of text errors here.

The questions and answers to each of the terminals.

Old Music:

Trainer Battle (Hoenn Gym Leader remix)

Rival Battle (Black 2 and White 2 Champion Iris Remix)

Normal Victory (Gym Leader Victory Remix) + Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions

Major Victory (Mystery Dungeon Primal Dialga Remix)

To Greater Heights (GlitchxCity's Mystery Dungeon Sky Tower Remix)
Slowed down version used in the Onyx Gym Trainer's School / Version used in Florinia's Arena

Gym Leader Battle (X and Y Legendary Battle Remix)

• Locked thread