Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
today i am attempting to turn my gaming pc into a hackintosh

in preparation for this, i bought a brand new 500gb samsung evo ssd. i currently have a like uh..160gb something or other on there.

gameplan:

1) turn 500gb ssd into primary windows drive. i'm going to do this by reinstalling windows from scratch because it needs it an also because my pc randomly boots for no reason and this concerns me.
2) turn current ~160gb ssd into hackintosh drive.
3) not really sure how any of this works anymore. I did this a long time ago but things have changed a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
current status: creating windows 10 installation media

this has been a PITA. the windows 10 media creation tool keeps erroring out after downloading windows. of course, restarting the tool requires that it download windows again. wtf.

i think it's a problem with my USB. windows seems to be unable to remove the GPT partition on the disk, so I did it manually and am trying again. we'll see what happens.

while this has been going on, i've also downloaded the sierra installation media on my macbook air. I can't do it on my macbook pro because my macbook pro doesnt have a usb slot. lmao

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also i'm sort of limited by the fact that I only have 2 usb drives. i think i need 3 to do this properly. i'm going to have to do something fucky to not fuckup my windows partition since i'm going to install it before doing the hackintosh stuff.

the hackintosh megapost in sh/sc is mega outdated and looks pretty useless. browsing the last few pages of the thread, everyone seems to be using something called clover which as far as i can tell is just a multiboot manager of some sort. not really sure when the hackintosh stuff happens.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/ sourceforge, ugh

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
God bless the troops

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
deleting the weird partition off my flash disk seems to have fixed the windows 10 installation media issue

current status: creating the osx boot disk.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

PyPy posted:

God bless the troops

:salkute:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
current status: windows 10 is installing onto the 500gb drive

it asked for a product license and i said i dont have one so i hope that works out ok. i thought windows 10 was free as in linux

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
btw i forgot to mention this earlier but if you're following along, you should kick back and have a beer / smoke a bowl because this is gonna be fun!!!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
:siren: windows 10 is now installed on the 500gb ssd :siren:

installing nvidia drivers and stuff

now i'm using unibeast to create the mac os sierra installation media

also is there a bug that causes view counts on threads to glitch out because the views on this thread are really low

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
jfc op is bad at computers

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Management posted:

jfc op is bad at computers

would someone who is bad with computers get paid 105k/year to work with computers? i don't think so

anyhow i'm just going to ignore this troll but if you keep it up i WILL close this thread!!

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Will you have a GPU or are you going off integrated motherboard jraphics?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

would someone who is bad with computers get paid 105k/year to work with computers?
emphatically yes

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Video Nasty posted:

Will you have a GPU or are you going off integrated motherboard jraphics?

i have an geforce 970 so not integrated.

my mother board is an asrock which isn't one of the highly supported boards because i didnt build this with the intent of doing a hackintosh, but things are good so far because:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i forgot to mention that the main reason i'm doing all this is because my job is microservice oriented and to develop we have to run like 16 different microservices and it brings even our maxed out mac book pros to a crawl.

trying to run 3 intellij's is a nightmare so on my work from home days i want to have a badass setup where i can develop at high speeds

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also i used to have a really nice desk setup but my girlfriend made me get rid of it because it was too big and (honestly, i just filled it up with garbage) so now i have the terrible desk/table setup you see pictured

i hate it but i dont want to hear any trolling about my bad desk!!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i have an ikea desk

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hifi posted:

i have an ikea desk

yeah i had an ikea gallant it was good. we gave it away for free and now apparently they stopped makign them because they're worth like 1k (i doubt anyone pays that much though)

anyhow i'm booting into osx but currently i'm owned by my lovely external lan card. going to run an ethernet cable for now.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why do you need 3 flash drives

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

current status: windows 10 is installing onto the 500gb drive

it asked for a product license and i said i dont have one so i hope that works out ok. i thought windows 10 was free as in linux

it sort of still is i guess, just stick in a win7 key and it works. if you haven't nuked your old windows install put it back in and use this http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

and i know you said no desk trolling but listen this is not a troll i am serious: that desk situation is shameful. how can you be productive at all with that? underpowered mac in the office, undersized desk at home idk man it ain't a pretty picture

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i've had problems with getting the windows installer tool to work, usually i just wipe the drive in linux. you might have to set the partition as bootable too. i think the tool just copies poo poo over and doesn't do anything else

you should have pulled the key from your original windows too

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if the monitor desk was taller/keyboard desk was shorter it would be kind of cool to put the latter on casters and you could tuck it in when you are done but it just looks like a hodgepodge of crap right now. sorry.

do you put your Weed in the cigar boxes

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

im the little wooden box on the window sill obvs filled with weed

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i thought it was a box for those chinese balls so i had to zoom in

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

SO DEMANDING posted:

it sort of still is i guess, just stick in a win7 key and it works. if you haven't nuked your old windows install put it back in and use this http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

and i know you said no desk trolling but listen this is not a troll i am serious: that desk situation is shameful. how can you be productive at all with that? underpowered mac in the office, undersized desk at home idk man it ain't a pretty picture

yeah the desk situation sucks it's really bad

we're moving out of this tiny apartment in a few months and i'm going to have a real office and fill it with an actual desk. just gotta make do for a few more months

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so it's up and running. I need to resolve the following issues:

- i can only boot if I have the usb booter in. the obvious solution here is that I need a boot partition with clover installed which I didnt do. I think i made need to redo everything in order to make that happen.
- nvidia drivers aren't working. there's a clear path to getting this up and running i want to work on problem 1 first.

hifi posted:

why do you need 3 flash drives

i dunno i'm following multiple tutorials here. in the end I only needed one. but i wanted a backup with windows on it just in case windows got blown out because that would be a PITA to get reinstalled.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

you can use dd to move a partition forward

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hifi posted:

you can use dd to move a partition forward

supposedly i dont need to add a partition, i just need to get the EFI bootloader to work and it's not working.

if I run clover/the multibeast thing it makes an EFI partition, but I don't see that EFI partition when I try to boot

this probably has something to do with my assrock motherboard

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am now adding a partition and i'm going to try copying the EFI booter to there and booting from it

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i forgot to mention that the main reason i'm doing all this is because my job is microservice oriented and to develop we have to run like 16 different microservices and it brings even our maxed out mac book pros to a crawl.

trying to run 3 intellij's is a nightmare so on my work from home days i want to have a badass setup where i can develop at high speeds

lol if you

* cant work against the common beta cluster for services you dont care about as needed
* dont have like at least an m4.2xlarge as your work desktop that you can acces via browser/ssh

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

FamDav posted:

lol if you

* cant work against the common beta cluster for services you dont care about as needed
* dont have like at least an m4.2xlarge as your work desktop that you can acces via browser/ssh

yeah it sucks

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i am now adding a partition and i'm going to try copying the EFI booter to there and booting from it

this didnt work because i cant make the new partition bootable

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

try just copying the config.plist and any kexts you need

the hackintosh thread OP isnt that out of date, u should be using clover and not chameleon

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

if you're not bad at computers installing hackintosh should be quicker than a vanilla windows install

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

im the wiiu

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

if you're not bad at computers installing hackintosh should be quicker than a vanilla windows install

yah i'm gonna start over and follow the hackintosh post and see if that solves my boot issues

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the one thing not to do is select MacPro3,1 since sierra no longer boots with taht, the standard recommendation is iMac14,2 now

whats ur mobo? simplest thing to do is google your mobo + "hackintosh"

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

This is a bad idea OP and I look forward to reading about your early onset frustration triggered turbo alopecia in about a week. Hackintosh is very good if it just works. If you gotta work it, it loving sucks the fattest dick setting flags here and there and reinstalling 4000 times. Disclaimer - I might be bad at computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the one thing not to do is select MacPro3,1 since sierra no longer boots with taht, the standard recommendation is iMac14,2 now

whats ur mobo? simplest thing to do is google your mobo + "hackintosh"

yeah i'm following this one now, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/310894-guide-asrock-z97-pro4-el-capitan-with-clover-uefi-installation/

• Locked thread