Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock?

Y'all can also start brainstorming name ideas for this ugly-looking thing. By no means does this need to be your permanent ship, but I've statted it out so that it could be pretty decent to start off with. Party pick was at the bottom of the last page, in case you missed it!

One of the Sienar Fleet Systemís very limited forays into the civilian market, the Anxarta-class light freighter was designed as a well-armed merchant vessel. Produced during the Clone Wars, the ship was intended to provide its owner with more firepower than could be easily purchased elsewhere, while at the same time attempting to replicate the general sturdiness of competing spaceframes. As Sienar parts were rapidly becoming standard-issue throughout Republic space due to the wartime economy, maintenance was also generally easier and cheaper than average.

Owing to Sienarís otherwise military focus, the ship succeeded in its design goals; however, the ship was never a commercial success. Its stock configuration, while attractive, came with greatly limited customization options, especially compared to competing designs from the Corellian Engineering Corporation or Ghtroc Industries. The price tag coupled with a small cargo capacity was also too high for many potential buyers, who would rather invest in designs with a lower buy-in and much greater flexibility in the face of varying use profiles. Additionally, many traders were put off by its clear aesthetic lineage to other Sienar Fleet Systems designs, as some felt that it would too obviously mark them as favoring the one side over another during the Clone Wars, thereby making them a target.

The ship ceased production at the end of the Clone Wars, and with it Sienarís experiment into designing mass-market civilian craft. The designís focus on weapon strength was no longer desirable within the New Order, and sales of the design never came close to recuperating Sienarís R&D costs. Though now considered an obsolete frame, the remaining Anxarta-class freighters have proven to be quite resilient and easier than ever to maintain thanks to the Empireís massive production of modular Sienar products, although the lack of customization options remains a major drawback.

Hull Type/Class: Freighter/Anxarta
Manufacturer: Sienar Fleet Systems
Hyperdrive: Primary: Class 2, Backup: Class 12
Navicomputer: Yes
Sensor Range: Short
Shipís Complement: One pilot, one co-pilot/engineer
Encumbrance Capacity: 130
Passenger Capacity: 6
Consumables: Two months
Cost/Rarity: 220,000 credits/6
Customization Hard Points: 3
Weapons: One Dorsal Turret-Mounted Medium Laser Cannon (Fire Arc All; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Close]); One Port and One Starboard Light Laser Cannon (Fire Arc Fore; Damage 5; Critical 3; Range [Close])

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!

Zep Rowsdower, Standing by.

I think it was mentioned that we needed to name Azhais suggested we list our suggestions for names. Once we've all put in our nominations we'll vote. Whichever name has the most votes wins. I guess if there's a tie there's a runoff or something. What a diplomatic start to our little quest!

So my suggestion is: The Stellar Bantha. Alternate: The Antediluvian Kestrel.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007

Cybernetic Crumb

As everyone finds it so amusing, I shall propose The Millenial Falcon

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

ArkInBlack has unfortunately needed to bow out, so welcome tokenbrownguy as Hrakk the Marauder!

I'll be putting up the Roll20 link probably tomorrow evening, just got home after an all-day workshop and I'm heading straight to bed for tonight.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

Seriouspost; possible ship names!

• Idiots Array
  • Pride of Nar Shadda
  • Binary Nebula
  • Southern Cross
  • Bottom Line
  • Extra Credits
  • Sparrhowhawk
  • Northwind
  • Wages of Sin
  • Island Hopper
  • Stellar Midnight
  • Voice of Coruscant

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

Millennial Falcon gets my vote

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

I vote for "Bottom Line" because it makes us sound like the most credit-grubbing capitalist businessmen in the galaxy. That's good for our cover.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Voice of Coruscant is neat because of the possible double entendre and the fact that you're Rebels flying a ship that looks more Imperial than anything, but it's up to you all to decide

The Millenial Falcon is a pretty great troll name though, if we were doing more of a jokey campaign. The ship's autochef only serves avocado sandwiches and kale chips.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Drone posted:

The Millenial Falcon is a pretty great troll name though, if we were doing more of a jokey campaign. The ship's autochef only serves avocado sandwiches and kale chips.

I feel like the ship should have AI voiced by Tim Allen, who constantly makes really unfunny jokes about "kids these days".

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

In the same vein as Millennial Falcon, I had a flash and got Participation Trophy. "It's not much, but might as well give you something woo, you're a winner too!"

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Serperoth posted:

In the same vein as Millennial Falcon, I had a flash and got Participation Trophy. "It's not much, but might as well give you something woo, you're a winner too!"

Or at least it'll sit on the shelf until you feel it's been long enough that your parents won't notice that you've thrown it away.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

I feel like Political Correctness is the type of name some die-hard Imperial would ironically give to their ship.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Drone posted:

I feel like Political Correctness is the type of name some die-hard Imperial would ironically give to their ship.

Helmed by Admiral Maher?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The Radiant Somnambulist
Rocinante (Can you tell what show I've been watching?)
The Long Trail
Grass, Gas, or rear end
The Emperor's Blessing
Break Even
Paycheck
Get Paid
The Quick Friend

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Okay, so here's the Roll20 link: https://app.roll20.net/join/2305018/R_bM3A

I've got the character sheet scripts set up and have already created blank character sheets for all of you to fill in... but Roll20 being Roll20, you'll need to join the game first, -then- I'll need to assign the character sheet to you, and -then- you can fill it in. I created tokens for the 4 players who posted art of their characters, I'm still needing it for Serperoth and Killbot. The tokens link to the Strain and Wounds fields in the character sheets.

I'm still having problems with the dice roller, but I'll get it sorted out tomorrow.

Drone fucked around with this message at Jun 7, 2017 around 17:11

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Session 1 was a lot of fun. That bit of the adventure is more socially-focused, the next bits could get more actiony.

10xp all around, and it can be applied now if you want.

Below is a very quick summary of various people/places/things that we saw this session (since it's Star Wars and spacenames can be wacky and hard to write down):

quote:

Places
  • Lianna: the planet you're on right now. Ecumenopolis and homeworld of Santhe/Sienar Technologies, better known for its subsidiary Sienar Fleet Systems (producers of tons of Imperial ships like TIE Fighters, as well as your civilian-grade ship)
  • Lola Curich: capital city of Lianna.
  • Orman's Sky Palace: a bar/nightclub located in Lola Curich. Huge place with lots of jizz-wailing. This is where you met Jenna Lars, your initial Rebel contact.
  • Murphy's Corellian Pub: a dive bar closer to the Imperial Hotel. Owned by Bob Murphy, suspected Rebel sympathizer.
  • The Imperial Hotel: a nice-enough 100-floor highrise hotel located in Lola Curich. You have a room here reserved for you by Terri Karl.

People
  • Terri Karl: Leader of the Rebel cell on Lianna. A socialite, clearly focusing more on PR and outreach than on running a guerilla cell.
  • Jenna Lars: Your first-step contact to Terri. You met her at Orman's Sky Palace, said the codeword, and she gave you the rendezvous information to meet Terri.
  • Orman: Owner of Orman's Sky Palace. An older Chevin -- you asked him to point you toward Jenna when you arrived at his club. May be an Imperial informant???
  • Old Drunk Guy: you met him at Orman's. He was blind-drunk and blurting out random rumors -- he mentioned Orman was not trustworthy. May be an Imperial informant???
  • Bob Murphy: Owner of Murphy's Corellian Pub. Terri trusts him -- possible Rebel sympathizer.
  • "Keith": upjumped security guard from the spaceport. Tries to mug citizens on the side for some cash. Took a bundle of money from you in a shakedown, and also has a photograph of the entire party. Real name unknown.
  • Imperial Advisor Lord Verpalion: mentioned only briefly toward the end. Terri tells you he is the Imperial governor of Lianna who is arriving on-planet to review Project NOVA. A banquet is being held in his honor tonight at Lady Santhe-Sienar's estate.
  • Lady Santhe-Sienar: mentioned only briefly toward the end. She is the head of Sienar and is hosting a banquet in Lord Verpalion's honor tonight. Most Sienar staff are expected to be at the banquet.

Things
  • Project NOVA: Terri believes this to be a top-secret Sienar project to construct some type of cloaking device. May be connected with the events you saw in orbit.
  • Thing In Orbit: who knows what it is? A small object that would appear on your sensors, then disappear suddenly, rinse/repeat. The Imperial fleet in orbit is hunting it.
  • Zip Drives: you have a cargo hold full of ZIP drives.

Current list of campaign cocktails: Dagobah Dirtbomb, Tatooine Titty-Twister, Rebel Sunrise.

Drone fucked around with this message at Jun 11, 2017 around 18:28

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah this was a lot of fun. Looking forward to the next session!

I guess since we're putting xp spend in this thread for bookkeeping, 5 xp into Skulduggery rank 1, 5 points for Codebreaker slicer talent.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

I had a lot of fun as well. I think I'm going to save up my XP to see what needs to be gained. More than likely I'll be gaining some Force powers, but I don't know what. Sense would be useful for being a longer-range lookout, but Enhance makes a lot of sense for what I eventually want to do with my character.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

Technical Flight Officer Gunnis Bishop

Duty: 5

Space Superiority/Resource Acquisition
Gunnis believes that the Rebellion will never succeed without capital ships, fleet technologies, and the equipment and personnel necessary to make them work. He thinks that he can identify and arrange for the theft of assets that the Rebellion can claim for use. He also believes with more experience he can design and arrange for construction of ships that will aid the cause.

Total XP: 145
Available XP: 15

XP Log

code:
Session 1 XP Gain                     [+10]
Perception 1 (Skill)                  [-5]
Rapid Reaction Talent (Commodore)     [-5]
Session 2 XP Gain                     [+10]
Command Talent (Commodore)            [-5]
Session 3 XP Gain                     [+10]
Character Sheet

Character Dossier

Character Background

Darius099 fucked around with this message at Jun 25, 2017 around 18:24

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Zep Rowsdower: Session Debriefing

Duty 0 (Fresh-faced recruit)

Space Superiority
Zep still hasn't had a chance to show off his piloting skills, but he did get to test his mettle in a different way. Not once but twice he was offered a drink. A cold sweat welled up on the back of his neck as his mind told him how easy it would be to crawl back into the bottle, forget about the rest of the galaxy, and just stay disconnected from The Force. Instead, he turned down both offers and remained resolute in his decision to help to free those oppressed by the tyrannous Empire. He realized that after he walked out of that second bar he was FEELING with the Force again. Emboldened by this rediscovery, he anticipated the upcoming missions.

Total XP:: 130
Available XP: 0

XP Log

code:
Session 1 XP Gain			[+10]
Force Power: Sense			[-10]

Character Sheet

Character Bio

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dem "Imp" Iona bought one rank in Deception with her 10 XP.

Next sesh I hope I have some more to put in the post, but I didn't want to just not do the bookkeeping now.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007

Cybernetic Crumb

Just to record spending: 5xp Perception, 5xp Grit

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

10 xp on Toughened, under Force Sensitive Emergent.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

code:

Session 2 XP Gain			[+10]
Force Power: Influence			[-10]

Session 2 Force Conflict:		2
Session 2 Conflict Roll: 		7
Session 2 Morality Adjust:		+5

For the first time in ages, Zep made a connection with the living Force. While his first attempt filled him with fear and self-loathing, he only gave in to that once. As he scanned the area as if with newly opened eyes, he noticed something... off about the slicer, Alis.

There was something about her he'd have to keep an eye on. She may be Force sensitive. And while she was too young to begin the training, and he too rusty with the ways of the Jedi, it may be important for him to step in and guide her so she doesn't end up starting down the path of the Dark Side... the path that destroyed the Jedi Order.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Session 2 Recap

10xp all around (including TBG)

Today, you all:

• Met up again with Terri Karl and a "larger" group of the Rebels from the Lianna cell - Jenna Lars (the lady you met at Orman's Sky Palace), "Dwayne" (her bodyguard), and Astenn (a new guy -- handsome, young, looks to be a socialite as well, he gave you access codes and insider information on the Sienar HQ... Astenn is clearly not his real name).
  • Alis infiltrated the HQ alone during daytime hours to scope things out. She found her way down to a locker room in the basement and stole two Sienar employee polo shirts and 2 generic-access keycard copies. She then stole security uniforms for the rest of the group from the laundry room.
  • Group waited until nighttime and then infiltrated the building via the parking garage, changing into their disguises while hiding behind an air scrubber. Alis then hacked the Gibson in the maintenance manager's office and managed to find a weakness in the building security, as well as a work order to repair a "broken closet" on Floor 43 (the CEO's floor).
  • Zep managed to reach out and touch the Force -- though what he found there was partially disturbing as he grazed the darkness. Even so, the man's long-dormant Force sensitivity seems now to be slowly returning to him, as is his ability to manage the temptation of the Dark Side.
  • Alis deactivated the security on Floor 57, and set the security on Floor 43 for a timed deactivation. The party then took the turbolift up to Floor 57 in order to sabotage the data components for Project NOVA -- a task that they succeeded at thanks to vigorous coaching via comlink by Gunnis, while Gank blasted away at deactivated sentry droids. Unfortunately the droid manning the turbolift must have called for security, and just as the team was making their way toward the stairwell to move on to Floor 43, an unidentified number of troopers poured from the turbolifts, led by a voice that was somehow familiar....... Keeeeiiiiiiiiitttthhhhhhhhh

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Session 3 Recap

10 xp as usual

Today, you all:
  • Had a Keith sighting in the Sienar HQ.
  • Stole the completed copy of Project NOVA from Lady Santhe-Sienar's computer in the HQ, then deleted it. The Empire no longer has the means to construct a working cloaking device. You also made two copies for the Rebellion, just in case. While on Lady Santhe-Sienar's computer, you also found (and copied) some very suspicious emails regarding some missing Sienar shipments, and a mysterious mail from Terri Karl reading, "goods have been received."
  • Gunnis also stole some of her high-end liquor while Zep looked on longingly. Several datapads and laptops that were strewn around her office were also stolen.
  • The group discovered a secret elevator that led from Lady Santhe-Sienar's office to a private hovertrain terminal. Another Keith sighting as they made their escape -- this time Keith ID'd them visually and clearly remembered who they were.
  • The hovertrain took you to the Santhe-Sienar Estate, where the party was raging and the jizz music was wailing. Hrakk and Zep dressed up as sous chefs and distracted the kitchen staff (led by one Bordon Damsey) while the rest of the party slinked out. Zep then used mystic Jedi powers to get Bordon off their case, and the party made their way out of the estate and into the parking area.
  • Hrakk roughed up a teenage valet while Alis stole the keys to a kickass airbrushed jizz band's touring van. Zep apologized profusely in Hrakk's wake in what is quickly becoming an amazing good cop/bad cop routine.
  • You guys changed out of the chef costumes and, where appropriate, into some of the band T-Shirts that were left in the van.
  • Back at the Imperial Hotel, you went to your room (that was reserved under an alias) to lay low until Terri Karl contacted you again. There you found a bug hidden among the towels, and were able to catch a quick holonet news update about the break-in and destruction at the Sienar HQ. Keith was interviewed as an officer on the scene, and was gloating at having caught the "culprits" (a group of haggard-looking aliens who were clearly scapegoats). The city remains on a type of lockdown while the police search for accomplices. The spaceport is not shut down, but it's under extremely tight security. And worst of all, Lady Santhe-Sienar's party was abruptly cancelled.
  • You stole yet another van (this one with government plates) and made your way to the lower-class area of town, with the intent of squatting in an abandoned building until making contact with Terri.
  • Four of you made it to the abandoned home safely, but Hrakk and Zep were stopped by a jackbooted brownshirt and his buddy. Hrakk and Zep reacted appropriately in the face of fascist aggression, and the thug's less-aggressive partner fled.
  • Terri's calling and will wait until next week for you all to pick up the phone.

I want to do some stuff with your Duty shortly, so I'll be figuring that out this week. You guys are also pretty much out of the prewritten adventure, having gone wildly off the rails for most of it (minus the literal railroading segment), so all you need to do is mop stuff up here and move onto the sandbox. I'm really looking forward to this!

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Things got pretty real, looking forward to the next session!

XP spend: 5 pts for the Indistinguishable talent under the Slicer spec.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

It's now Canon. Zep wears a "Gungans and Roses" t-shirt.

code:
Session 3 XP Gain			[+10]
Force Power: Foresee		        [-10]

Session 2 Force Conflict:		1
Session 2 Conflict Roll: 		-
Session 2 Morality Adjust:		-
Updated Character sheet

I also decided on his morality strength and weakness. His strength is empathy, and as such his affinity had always been toward the Sense/Influence powers. His weakness is fear, most notably when it comes to anyone suffering. As was displayed in the as the op on the Sienar building when he found a stock of alcohol and found himself frozen.

Zep is starting to realize just how deep he's getting in with the Rebellion. He'd thought he'd just be piloting ships for them, but he's now engaging in corporate espionage, evading security forces, and even killing people in self defense. Despite all this, though, he doesn't feel the pull of the Dark Side from any of this. The only tugging from that side of the Force is when he found himself face to face with those unexpected bottles of liquor. So much booze. So much!

He's trying to focus on the mission at hand, but he keeps sensing twinges of the Force from the slicer, Alis. He's decided to keep an eye on her. If she begins manipulating the Force unconsciously he's decided he'll need to step in. Until that point, he believes she's better off being in the dark. He's heard word of Imperial Inquisitors who hunt down Force Sensitives. Better to spare her that fate.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Oh yeah, I banked that 10XP from last session, I have a total of 20 to spend on Dem now.

Not sure if and when I will, but I didn't want to not post anything.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Gunnis is now wearing a beat up old The Clash at Anchorhead shirt. Hope you like seeing him work on the ship in it.

-----

Technical Flight Officer Gunnis Bishop

Gunnis believes that the Rebellion will never succeed without capital ships, fleet technologies, and the equipment and personnel necessary to make them work. He thinks that he can identify and arrange for the theft of assets that the Rebellion can claim for use. He also believes with more experience he can design and arrange for construction of ships that will aid the cause.

Total XP: 145
Available XP: 0

XP Log

code:
Discipline 1 (Skill)                  [-5]
Leadership 2 (Skill)                  [-10]
Session 4 XP Gain                     [+15]
Character Sheet

Character Dossier

Character Background

Darius099 fucked around with this message at Jul 2, 2017 around 18:24

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Hrakk, Public Relations

Total XP: 120
Available XP: 10

XP Log

code:
Coercion 2 (Skill)                   [-10]
Persuasion 1 (Skill)                 [-10]

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dem "Imp" Iona is finally spending some XP!

5 points into the Kill With Kindness talent
15 points into the Deception skill, for a total of 3 ranks in it

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Session 4 Recap

15xp this time for the successful completion of the Mission to Lianna

Today, you all:
  • Met up with Terri Karl and Jenna Lars in an abandoned neighborhood. You all were SUPER paranoid and cautious about her true intentions after finding those suspicious emails on Lady Sienar's computer. #ButHerEmails
  • Turns out Terri is totally above-the-board and is a loyal member of the Alliance. Lady Sienar is, in fact, the one who isn't what she seems -- she's been secretly smuggling weapons and equipment to Terri for Rebel use, under the guise of Sienar shipments that have been "lost to pirates"
  • Terri debriefed you on the incursion at the Sienar HQ. You told her the data was sabotaged, but you didn't tell her you stole a copy for the Rebellion.
  • You followed her back to her estate. Lady Sienar was apparently waiting there... she met with Terri alone while you guys hid upstairs in the guest suite (Zep's weight made the stairs squeak on the way up though...)
  • Jenna got you guys back to the spaceport using Terri's private shuttle, and you made your way back to the ship.
  • An inspection patrol came around to check out the ship before you were permitted to leave. They found Hrakk hiding in a cargo container full of zip drives. They regretted this.
  • You rendezvoused with Captain Komo of the Early Bird, a Rebel signals freighter, at the edge of the Lianna system. Captain Komo debriefed you, took over the cloaking technology data, and gave the group a list of potential missions.

I want to take my time and think about what kind of Duty I'm awarding to you guys, and will be doing that in the next day or two.

Also the OOC meta talk at the end of the session was really useful as a sort of post mortem for the first mission. Definitely always let me know if there's something happening (or not happening) in the game that you want to talk about, any feedback you give me will help me to make sure you all have a kickass time with your characters!

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

XP expenditure:

code:
Session 1 XP Gain                    [+10]
Skulduggery (Skill)                  [ -5]
Codebreaker (Slicer)                 [ -5]
Session 2 XP Gain                    [+10]
Toughened (Emergent)                 [-10]
Session 3 XP Gain                    [+10]
Indistinguishable (Emergent)         [ -5]
Session 4 XP Gain                    [+15]
Defensive Slicing (Slicer)           [-10]
Sleight of Mind (Emergent)           [-10]
Score one for the Alliance. Alis reflected on the events of the operation on Lianna as she gazed out of one of the Early Bird's viewports. Alis was proud, and more than a little shocked, at what she managed to pull off. What she was capable of doing. Infiltrating Sienar HQ posing as a job-seeker, disabling its security systems, sabotaging the plans, making the getaway. Putting stun bolts into a security officer's chest. Maybe next time they won't be stun bolts? What else would she be called to do, to have to do?

Alis blinked, surprised at the darkness of her own thoughts. The surprise turned to self-disgust. The others weren't this way. If only she was as fearless as the Trandoshan, Hrakk. As decisive as Gunnis. As carefree as Dem. As friendly as Zep. As stoic as the Gank.

Looking out at the stillness of space, Alis tried the best she could to deal with her doubts. But it wasn't enough. It was never enough. These feelings gnawed at her as strongly as they did when she stared at the remnants of her own planet, through a viewport just like this one.

She felt lost.

She felt afraid.

Killbot fucked around with this message at Jul 4, 2017 around 03:21

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

code:
Session 4 XP Gain		[+15]
Uncanny Reactions 		[-5]
Quick Draw			[-10]

Conflict: 			[+1]
Conflict Total:			[2]
Morality:			[55]
Updated Character Sheet

As sobriety re-connected Zep with the Force, his years of training came flooding back. Upon being contacted by the leader of the Rebel cell on Lianna he reached out. His first time trying to sense the future in over a decade, the former apprentice gave in to his fear and tapped the power of the Dark Side, making him see a distorted picture of the future. He told himself that the future is always in motion, and proceeded with the mission at hand.

He also realized that he was out of shape and probably needed to start exercising if he planned on being anything more than a pilot for the Rebel Alliance. The squeaking of the stairs was drat embarrassing. Until the next mission, Zep has decided he'll do a regimen of push-ups, sit-ups, and squats every morning. Maybe he should start running, too. He also realized that he was slow to act when the rest of his team got into a scuffle with those security personnel. These realizations inadvertently restored connections he'd made with the Force all those years ago while he'd been training on Coruscant. His hands became more deft and his reflexes grew sharper.

Another thing that Zep focused on was the conversation he'd had with his squad mates. Their discussion of why they joined the Alliance fostered a greater understanding for them, especially Alis. If the girl was a Force sensitive and she was looking for revenge- he might not have a choice. He might have to approach her about her gift and offer guidance.

Mission Interlude

Zep is in the cafeteria of The Early Bird one morning when one of the other hotshot Rebel pilots comes up to him. "Hey old timer, I heard you piloted that piece of junk Sienar freighter. How'd it handle?"

Zep scowls at the crack about his age (he's only 30!) but nods. "Huh. Yeh. It handled like garbage." He grunts before taking a bite of his loose-meat sandwich.

"You wanna fly something that handles a bit better?" The hotshot asks with a grin.

Cut to Zep howling through space in the cockpit of a T65 X-Wing with the equivalent of Molly Hatchet's "Flirtin' with Disaster" blaring on the ship's speakers. "Aw heck yeh." He grumbles, forcing the stick forward as he twirls his ship about in a series of maneuvers he'd never be able to accomplish in a freighter. "I gotta get me onna these." He grunts as he prepares to spend the rest of the day testing out the starfighter.

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at Jul 3, 2017 around 11:31

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

My meeting for this afternoon got cancelled, so I had more time to work on the detailed mission briefing . Also, FuriousAngle's idea of doing a little recap of what your individual characters are doing during your between-mission time is pretty great, feel free to hop on with similar stuff if you want!

Captain Komo of the Early Bird has downloaded the following information into each of your datapads:

++==OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION==++
+=ALLIANCE TO RESTORE THE REPUBLIC=+

FROM: Alliance Intelligence Commander-in-Chief, Tion Division
TO: Captain Otara Komo, CO, Alliance Signals Vessel Early Bird
SUBJ: Recon Opportunity - Thanium System

Captain Komo,

I hope this message finds you well. The Early Bird has been doing fantastic work tying together nascent cells and spreading Alliance shadowfeed broadcasts in the Tion Cluster. I donít need to remind you of the strategic importance of this often-overlooked area of the Outer Rim.

Iíve already dispatched two possible mission profiles for you to delegate to local cells -- the political situation on Murkhana, and the status of prisoners on Chandaar. This message serves as a third potential mission to hand out at your discretion.

Just over a year ago, Alliance scouts passing through the Thanium star system detected the presence of a small fleet of construction and mining vessels in orbit of the systemís only habitable word. According to the report filed by the scouts, the fleet was made up of corporate assets belonging to several companies known to work closely with the Empire -- Cygnus Spaceworks, the Loronar Corporation, and Sienar Fleet Systems. The consortium appeared to be constructing a base of some kind on the planetís surface, within the massive Ur-Than mountain range. The scout team was unable to get a complete profile of the undertaking, but Alliance Intelligence surmised that the corporations were constructing a mineral extraction and construction complex on the planet, in order to better supply the needs of the Imperial Fleet operating in and around the Tion Cluster.

A followup scout mission visited the Thanium system one month ago to check on the current disposition of the base, but was unable to find any trace of any active corporate presence. No active space traffic was detected in the entire system. The scout ship was not equipped to perform an investigation on the surface, which is why weíve called for a team of operatives to investigate.

MISSION OBJECTIVES:
  • Land on Thanium and verify existence or non-existence of the corporate base.
  • If base construction never completed or was abandoned, ascertain the cause.
  • Investigate feasibility of an Alliance takeover in case the base is abandoned.
  • If base is being used for black ops, gather detailed information and report back to Alliance Intelligence.

THANIUM PLANETARY PROFILE:

Class: Terrestrial
Atmosphere: Type I Breathable
Climate: Warm, dry, windy year-round
Gravity: Standard
Primary Terrain: Urban ruins, mountains, savannah
Surface Water: Scattered large freshwater lakes
Native Species: Human, near-human
Population: ca. 30,000 (estimate)
Government: none
Cities: Thanium Prime (abandoned megalopolis), assorted farming communities
Points of Interest: Thanium Prime urban ruins, Ur-Than mountain chain

Thanium is an ancient planet that has seen better days. Tens of thousands of years ago, Thanium was the center of a small galactic power, holding sway over the systems that make up the western fringe of the Tion Cluster. Thanium's power reached its peak just before being conquered by the empire of Xim the Despot (ca. 25,000 years BBY). The invasion of the planet critically damaged its influence, and the once-modern fell victim to a slow, millennia-long decline.

Around 3000 years ago, the outcome of the Great Galactic War sealed Thaniumís fate. The massive metropolis of Thanium Prime was laid waste during the decades of that conflict, and its population decimated. In the time since, the planet has been largely cut off from the rest of the galaxy and forgotten. The survivors vacated their massive city in an effort to sustain themselves, only to be reminded that Thaniumís poor soil is not well-suited to agriculture. After dropping dramatically over the centuries, the planetís population has stabilized at around 30,000, scattered amongst various small farming communities.

Thanium has no active spaceport and no real modern spacefaring ability. The farmers have occasional contact with the rest of the galaxy via a bare handful of independent traders who visit irregularly, but they largely concern themselves with merely surviving on their nearly-dead planet.

++==COMMUNICATION ENDS==++

Drone fucked around with this message at Jul 3, 2017 around 12:37

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Gunnis Bishop
Chief Petty Officer

Contribution Rank: 1
Duty: 0

Total XP: 160
Available XP: 5

XP Log

code:
Discipline 1 (Skill)                  [-5]
Leadership 2 (Skill)                  [-10]
Session 4 XP Gain                     [+15]
Known Schematic                       [-10]
Character Sheet

Commodore Talent Tree / Mechanic Talent Tree

Character Dossier

Character Background

---

Gunnis felt pretty good at first, in the wake of his first mission for the Rebellion. He saw innocents and average people being harmed by the Empire and he and his team were able to do something about it. His doubts and worries about siding with the Rebellion were starting to be shouted down by the ability to take action against the injustices he saw. But it didn't last. It never did anymore, since he'd had his eyes opened.

He worried about parts of his team, some with their own demons like the quiet Alderaanian slicer Alis, or the friendly Zep who clearly struggled with drink. Others he wasn't sure how much he could rely on, Hrakk's sudden swings in temper could be as much of a problem as Imp's seeming indifference to covert operations. There was of course also Gank, too stoic to read, an unknown factor. How can you take the measure of a man who gives you so little to work with? His mind wandered, remembering some of the talks about leadership at the Imperial Naval Academy on Prefsbelt IV. The stuffed shirts that spoke of the Academy creed.

"Service, fealty, fidelity." He muttered to himself sardonically, feeling again that he was an imposter in the ranks of the Rebels, the enemy pretending he hadn't been party to atrocity already.

He remembered mornings running the steps of Castle Pradeux, winding between the rocky peaks of the Twelve Mounts range. Instructors drilling him as he passed by in cadence with other junior officers. Long afternoons in the classroom where muzzled veterans of the Clone Wars and Imperial actions tried to impress some reality of the nature of warfare without truly saying anything that would make the Empire look anything but angelic. Dry old men talking about acceptable losses and the nature of battle group losses and cruiser formation tactics. Lines on a holodisplay, numbers scrolling by, try not to think of them as officers, pilots, and boarding parties. Not men and women with families, assets for the Empire to be best distributed and spent when appropriate.

His first posting. So proud. His first mistake, so angry. The last look on his mother's face, pride and a flash of fear.

He looked up, still sitting on an old Y-Wing ejection seat in the makeshift bar onboard
Early Bird, slowly coming out of his reverie.

They were his men now, and they weren't like the Imperials. They weren't polished, afraid of making the wrong move or taking a moral stand and having their family disappear in the night, jeopardizing their career over regulations. They might make mistakes or not always see the path, but at least he knew in his heart that they stood to oppose the Empire, and if that was all he could ask of himself then how could he ask more of them?

---

Reading over the communication on his datapad, Gunnis taps out a series of queries on a second datapad sitting on the overturned cargo crate in front of him. Old civic survey data on the abandoned city of Thanium Prime, production centers, building layouts of major buildings, ancient manifests from the times before the ruination. He plots out likely paths through the city, likeliest routes to reach salvage opportunities, points of interest for scouting, and other important data points.

A third datapad sits propped up to the left of the first, a simple program that Gunnis wrote long ago at the Academy showing random parts from a wide variety of starships of all classes, then prompting him a text query to identify the ships it is used on. Intermittently he reaches over to add an answer, grunting at the occasional incorrect result.

Occasionally, he pulls out his commlink to contact a member of his unit, asking them a question or having them come by to talk over a topic that needs their expertise.

Part of him just wants to do something to relax, to take in a holovid in a quiet corner, or even try to chat with one of the few female operatives who come and go in the halls now and again.

But the mission comes first.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at Jul 9, 2017 around 15:12

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007

Cybernetic Crumb

Gank

Duty 5:
Ground Superiority - Starfighter pilots may be the ones that get remembered, but their victories are bought with the blood of the ground forces. Denying the enemy key ground assets is what will eventually win this war.

code:
Session 1 XP      [+10]
Perception        [ -5]
Grit              [ -5]
Session 2 XP      [+10]
Session 3 XP      [+10]
Session 4 XP      [+15]
Trailblazer Spec  [-20]
Toughened         [ -5]
Outdoorsman       [ -5]
Stealth           [ -5]
Link to Oggdude XML

"It is nice being able to stretch my legs again" Gank reflected to himself as he engaged in a morning jog around the Early Bird, "just not much room on that Sienar relic." He silently wove his way past a few crewmen and scowled behind his mask at his comm implant's incessantly blinking ++==CONNECTION LOST==++ in the corner of his vision that served as a constant reminder that he was no longer with his clan. Shaking away the rage that that line of thinking always summoned, he instead turned his thoughts his inaugural mission with the Alliance.

Overall, a qualified success. Data delivered, secondary mission received, and a corporate headquarters successfully infiltrated and an important strategic asset was stolen from the Imperials and provided to the Alliance. He should be pleased with the result, but he was still upset with himself for not following his instincts to destroy the Sienar protocol droid, a mistake he vows to not make again. The other seemed competent enough, especially the slicer; Disabling security that quickly and completely is no mean feat. He still wasn't sure what to make of the fat human and the constant trances he went in to, but he seemed to have an uncanny ability to keep track of people beyond his sight. Perhaps he has a scanner implant? On the negative side, you'd think his companions had never encountered corrupt security forces before. On Nar Shaddaa bribes and shakedowns were just an accepted cost of doing business, pay a fee, be forgotten in the crowds. Being on the receiving end of some of those payments the only ones you ever remembered were the people who seemed too eager to pay, and those that fought back. Undisciplined. Or unprepared. Either way the Lieutenant would never have put up with that sort of thing. He snarled at himself and reflexively looked back at the blinking message, angry at allowing his thoughts to drift back to his clan.

A qualified success. Good enough for a first mission. Non-Gank always take time to gel, no point dwelling on it too much. He was pleased the mission options the Captain presented to them included a scouting run, "That's what we need, a nice walk in the mountains without distractions. A little scouting, a little investigation, and if all goes well a chance to take out an Imperial Black Ops forward base." He snickered sardonically to himself as he arrived back at his berth, "Not that I imagine the others would feel the same about the latter, they probably hope to find an empty base with a hangar full of starships sitting around like a used speeder lot. I guess we'll just have to see what the others think of the options when we meet."

Shrugging to himself, he stepped into the refresher to clean up after his jog. As he waited for the sonics to do their work, he thought to himself that couldn't wait to get back on the ground; All this idleness kept taking his mind places he didn't want it to go.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Your friendly neighborhood engineer ship designer commander type posting about ships, because our overlord Drone has intimated that we shall be getting our own ship and will have some input into it. As the resident ship, fleet, base, and spreadsheet fetishist I decided an effortpost was in order to discuss the best of the best when it comes to wacky and awesome choices for ships.

Some of the criteria I was considering or factors in what I chose:

The Two Home "Bases"

I spoke earlier on Discord about this but here it is:

quote:

I think if we really want to have a presence in a sytem long term what we should do is choose a sector, and not a system
And then find a place in that sector to establish a base of operations as a rebel cell
Then yeah, we can each kind of focus on our own goals, based out of that location which we run (eventually, all of this is)
And have an affect on that whole sector and the systems in it
Then the idea can be that we have our personal ship
Which is one of our two "homes" that we can hella personalize
And then the base which we can also personalize
And make them have a lot of character and be a part of the narrative
And other stuff like Zep having a squadron of fighters or us having capital ships, that doesn't come into play all the time, because it's only when it's appropriate to the narrative
So we get to keep having awesome character scale adventurers instead of the game always being about that macro level stuff
(But the macro level stuff is still there to push the narrative sometimes and give us goals)

The idea being that having a primary ship that meets some important qualifications and that we can use to flit around on missions
  • something small enough that we can crew it pretty much ourselves
  • and small enough that it isn't clearly a capital ship/warship
  • but that is large enough to handle future expansions and goals (like Zep wanting to possibly have a fighter/fighters)
  • and that is big enough that each character can have their own space on the ship

And then later we can also hopefully have an actual home base that we run our rebel cell/unit out of with similar customizations that fit our characters and provide interesting narrative (and something specific to care about and build).

However possibly most important of all is the it should just be fuckin' cool rule. I really just picked ships I thought looked cool and fit with the "industrial and freight ships being salvaged and converted to the ragtag rebel cause" theme.

Barloz-class Medium Freighter

Manufactured by Corellian Engineering Corporation, the Barloz-class was a no-frills freighter. It contained many of the innovations that would later make the YT-series such a success, but it was phased out when the YT series was introduced.

• -Handles like a brick.
  • -Incredibly poorly armed.
  • -Cargo space isn't great for its size.
  • -Not great armor or HTT.
  • =Speed is average.
  • =Hyperdrive is average.
  • +Really cool deckplans?
  • +Pretty good customization hardpoints.

Deck Plans

2/10 - It's got cool deck plans but not a lot else going for it.

Darvo-class Light Freighter

The Darvro-class light freighter was a class of stealth cargo vessels widely used by the forces of Ord Gimmell. The craft was also designed for smuggling and was used by the Alliance to Restore the Republic to transport high priority shipments through hostile territory.

• -Very fragile
  • -No deck plans.
  • -Very rare. How would we even acquire this or maintain it if anything breaks?
  • -Ship seems to be quite small, probably not the best choice for us to have our own spaces.
  • =Decent weapons
  • +Hyperdrive is great.
  • +Absolute best speed.
  • +Stealth?
  • +Good customization hardpoints.

Sorry, no deck plans

4/10 - The stealth is cool but I don't think this one makes a lot of sense for us, and it doesn't give us much room to personalize and make it feel like a home just based on what size it seems to be. Probably will also break down.

GX-1 Short Hauler

Originally designed by Lantillian Shipwrights as an affordable yet luxurious pleasure craft, the GX1 is easily converted into an excellent short hauler by removing most of its guest rooms and amenities to make way for additional cargo holds.

• -Weaponry is anemic.
  • -Not fast.
  • -Not the biggest ship.
  • -Speed is average.

Deck Plans

3/10 - Would probably have to do something with the deck plans to make them match a sensible ship. Not the best choice though, it's not got a great starting loadout. If we're going to be slow and weak we should really have more space and cargo space.

HT-2200 Medium Freighter

Though CEC expected the HT-2200 to be a very successful product, poor reviews and insufficient manufacturer support caused it to flop. Its slow speed and low maneuverability earned the HT-2200 a reputation for being "pirate bait." In its baseline configuration, the HT-2200's advantages were offset by inadequate maneuvering thrusters, a low lift-to-mass ratio, and an overtaxed main power generator. Fortunately, these craft were as easy to modify as with their smaller cousins.

• -Handles like a brick.
  • -Slow as hell
  • -Hyperdrive is slow too.
  • =Not bad weaponry.
  • +Lots of cargo space.
  • +Armor is great. HTT is good.

Deck Plans

6/10 - Kind of a bit too industrial for me, as it looks like a too-uniform flying garbage scow, but it has some serious pluses. The deck plan isn't the best (not enough bulkhead doors to separate areas for my taste), but some of the stats are pretty okay.

Space Master Medium Transport

The Space Master medium transport is Kuat Drive Yards' version of Gallofree Yardsí GR-75. Slightly smaller, the Space Master follows a similar design concept to the GR-75, being built around a central spar with copious attachment points for modular cargo pods. A bulbous engine assembly provides mediocre thrust, and a saucer-shaped command section makes up the shipís bow.

• -Piloting will be... challenging.
  • -Slow.
  • -Hyperdrive is very slow.
  • -Customization hardpoints aren't great.
  • =Weapons are average.
  • =Big (5 silhoutte)
  • +Tons of space.
  • +Lots of room for the crew.
  • +Good sensor range.

Deck Plans

5/10 - I have an irrational love for this big dumb animal of a ship. It just looks cool, and it's big and I could see modifying it to be a pocket carrier with Drone's cooperation. A sneaky one. It's ponderous and slow though and might be better as something we find for an eventual fleet and not as our main ship.

YT-1200 Medium (?) Freighter

The YT-1200 medium freighter was a Corellian Engineering Corporation YT-series freighter that served as the basis for Nova-Drive's license-built 3-Z light freighter. They had tubular, elongated cockpits and rounded hulls. Each vessel was 28 meters long.

• -Slow.
  • -Poorly armed.
  • -Hyperdrive is slow.
  • -HTT is pretty low.
  • -Too small. No room for us as a crew really, or any projects we have.
  • -Not great cargo room.
  • =Handling isn't awful.
  • =Armor is okay.

Deck Plans (close enough)

3/10 - Just not a lot going for this. Sure, it's customizable, and it looks cool and it's NOT the YT-1300, but it's not speedy or particularly tough, it can't carry much, and there's not a lot of room for us. Why the hell is this a "medium" freighter? (it's not)

YT-2400 Light Freighter

Favored by smugglers, the starship featured the YT-series trademark saucer-shaped hull and starboard-mounted command pod. Like most Corellian designs, the YT-2400 was fast, tough, and endlessly modifiable. Stock YT-2400s were 18.65 meters in length, required two pilots, and were armed with two 1D servo turret laser cannonsómounted dorsally and ventrally.

• -Not large enough for crew.
  • -Cargo space isn't great.
  • =Average HTT.
  • =Speed is average.
  • =Weaponry is average.
  • +Handling is good.
  • +Good armor.

Deck Plans

5/10 - The 2400 is decently cool and a good ship, but just too small. The whole crew bunks in a single small room, and it really just doesn't have the room to change that. The rest of the ship is pretty decent, though it doesn't have much cargo room to work with either.

Wayfarer-class Medium Transport

The Wayfarer-class was designed with a detachable portside section originally intended for modular reconfiguration, allowing it to load a passenger section, a hangar bay, or cargo module into an armature extending from the starboard section. Production costs forced Kuat Systems Engineering to scale back their plans and create only the hangar bay module, which served as cargo space for most owners, who generally did not carry or store starfighters. A few prototypes and custom builds of other modules existed, but were hard to find, limited primarily to bulk commerce corporate shipping operations centered on well-developed metropolitan planets like Coruscant.

• -Handing is bad.
  • -Poorly armed.
  • =Speed is average.
  • +Good armor & HTT.
  • +Defense above average.
  • +Shown to carry starfighters out of the box in some configurations (and stealthily).
  • +Tons of cargo hold space.
  • +Can hold the whole crew.

Deck Plans

8/10 - WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE ABOUT THE GARBAGE TRUCK! Seriously this thing is a tank, it can sneakily hold starfighters, it's big enough for the crew... it's not the easiest to pilot but it's pretty good and it also has a lovably awful look to it. If it wasn't for another ship that has my heart this would definitely be my #1 choice.

YV-929 Armed Freighter

The YV-929 armed freighter was a 22-meter-long light freighter produced by Corellian Engineering Corporation. It used the same forward cockpit structure as the much larger YV-100 light freighter. Unlike most CEC freighters, which came off the assembly lines with minimal weaponry, the YV-929 was designed from the start to be heavily armed for defense against pirate and Rebel raids, and also featured very strong shields.

• -Almost no customization hardpoints.
  • -Cargo space is not good.
  • =Average HTT.
  • =Speed is average.
  • =Handling is average.
  • =Crew space isn't perfect but could be modified to work.
  • +Good armor.
  • +Good defense.
  • +Absolutely insane weaponry.

Deck Plans

7/10 - The YV-929 looks loving AWESOME and it's an angry little fireplug. Sadly, it probably will make us a huge target, and it's difficult to transport more than very small loads with the encumbrance it has. It also doesn't have much room for expansion in the future. It's also got basically no upgrade capacity. Probably a better choice for our fleet than as our ship.

YZ-775 medium transport

The YZ-775 is a popular medium transport used by independent traders, smugglers and mercenaries across the galaxy. Typical of Corellian Engineering Corporationís transports, it is durable and easily modified. Its substantial defenses required special permission from the Imperial authorities, given that its weapons exceed the firepower typically approved for civilian craft. They are an effective deterrent to pirates, and even give customs cruisers pause. As such, it has also become a favorite craft for mercenaries, Rebel forces, the more successful smugglers, and the occasional bounty hunter. With a first-class hyperdrive, it is also a speedy ship.

• -Handling isn't great.
  • -Not great customization hardpoints.
  • =Average HTT.
  • =Speed is average.
  • =Weaponry is average.
  • =Big (silhoutte 5)
  • +HTT is above average.
  • +Good armor.
  • +Sensor range is good.
  • +Tons of cargo hold room.
  • +Hyperdrive is great.
  • +Badass deck layout & plans.
  • +Armed to the teeth.

Deck Plans

10/10 - Look at this motherfucking beast. It's got a great layout, with two decks, tons of guns, tons of space for our possible projects, and fantastically it can support several starfighters docking with it externally. The writeups say it has special dispensation from Imperial authorities as a normal transport. Unlike the YV-929 we have the cargo space to justify being armed (what would you even be carrying with 80 encumbrance that justifies being armed like a patrolcraft?) and plenty of room for whatever shenanigans we want to get up to. How can you not love how amazing this thing looks? Like a miniature CR-90 Corellian Corvette.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at Jul 5, 2017 around 09:14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

That's an amazing effortpost.

As we talked about in the Discord, it'd be awesome if everyone could pick their own top 3 from the list above, just so I can get an idea of the overall party preferences when I work the new ship into the story.

Cost/rarity/size/condition will all play a factor in the ship you eventually get, and depending on how you acquire the ship, it will almost certainly come with some quirks.

«8 »