Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

21st Jan, 1036hrs

Over in Sol Third fleet is still heading to Ranginui at full speed.

21st Jan, 2236hrs

The pursuit is on. The Terran forces are returning to the Pit jump point to block any egress.

Over in the Pit a salvage operation gives a disappointing yield.

22 Jan, 1726hrs

The cruisers decide that they have done all they could and with two Terran forces bearing down on them bug out to rejoin the Dreadnoughts.

The pursuit is ongoing.

24th Jan, 0157hrs

A whole day passes. Eventually the Terran carriers arrive at the jump point and deploy pods again. As the Rakshesha closes they launch their fighters to intercept.

24th Jan 0517hrs

The fighters were shortly lost to the small active sensor on the Farseeker but must be close by now.

Aha there we go! No sign anything critical was broken but over a dozen hits penetrated to do internal damage.

24th Jan, 1023hrs

As the ship closes within 40m km the Terran forces report it's ECM is not active and they will begin salvo from from the destroyers and Battleship shortly.

24 Jan, 1048hrs

Twenty minutes later the impacts begin.

The very first salvo takes out an engine and the ship drops to half speed.

Salvo 2.

Salvo 3, the ships active sensor winks out and its location is lost. The Terrans will have an active lock however so can still track it.

Salvo 4, it's looking pretty ragged with nearly every hit a penetration.

Salvo 5, something pings its engine and it loses containment in a spectacular fashion blowing the rest of the ship into smithereens.

It's done, the battle of Nova Sol is over.

24 Jan, 1049hrs

The Dreadnought division is scattered throughout the system.

Third fleet has nearly arrived at the Pit jump point.

The salvage ships are halfway out of the Pit leaving only pickets in the inner system.

Known space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

winterwerefox posted:

Would size 2 AMMs over our current size 1 AMMs be out of the question? or do we not have the launchers for that? perhaps on a 500 ton missile pod.

It can be done, but then you'll halve your magazine capacity and ROF at the same time. Always tradeoffs. As Bremen said we can look at mesons, but unless saros gives us a decent tech start on them, lasers will probably be better.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nice job, UT gate force!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Would it be possible to get full sharing of all technological derivatives from enemies destroyed in joint battle?

It might weaken us against the Terrans, it might weaken them against us, but it helps both of us against the crab menace.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

xthetenth posted:

Would it be possible to get full sharing of all technological derivatives from enemies destroyed in joint battle?

It might weaken us against the Terrans, it might weaken them against us, but it helps both of us against the crab menace.

That does make sense, but in either case we have the upper hand on Terra and should turn it into concrete results whether through diplomacy or realpolitik. Mars demands nothing less.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Request a Joint Task Force defend the Pit with exclusive salvage rights for Mars and also salvage of the dreadnaught we killed in Nova Sol. Request we get that fancy moon with all the TNEs, and we split the rest evenly.
Propose we initiate a joint war of total destruction against the fartcrabs once we have reverse engineered everything.

Personally I'd prefer if we gathered together 90% of all four fleets and rush the next system, but I doubt that's going to get voted through.
They didn't have this system defended after all, and if we wait the next system will likely be fortified. The danger of risking the majority of our fleet is tremendous, of course, but I think we'd win, or at the very least survive for long enough to retreat without losing too much to defend the Pit side.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 18, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nicely done UT.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I propose that we backwards engineer better engines, start building better ships with them, and once those ships are ready we send all the old, obsolete warships through the Crab wormhole to check its defenses while keeping the new better ones safe.

This proposal has nothing to do with the fact that I'm still on the waiting list for a ship command slot.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Our intervention was the difference between mass casualties and total annihilation of Nova Sol colonization, so... nice going, shipmates.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Nice job! Fartcrabcakes for everyone! :jp::cheers:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Joint tech sharing would be fine. sure we saved 4 Million people. But 3 Million died. UT is hurting. their military has just been majorly shamed which is gonna have ~fun~ political ramifications.

Maybe we can play the generous heroes for a bit rather than twirling our moustaches and going "How can we exploit this".

For a change.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Veloxyll posted:

Joint tech sharing would be fine. sure we saved 4 Million people. But 3 Million died. UT is hurting. their military has just been majorly shamed which is gonna have ~fun~ political ramifications.

Maybe we can play the generous heroes for a bit rather than twirling our moustaches and going "How can we exploit this".

For a change.

I would contend playing the generous hero is in fact the best way to exploit this. For periods of time Lex Luthor was such an effective villain because he had such good PR that the masses didn't know he was evil.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Veloxyll posted:

For a change.

I would argue that the UT has show itself woefully unprepared for the dangers involved in space travel and that any actions which strengthen Mars' relative position will be better for all of humanity in the long term (that long term being when the UT inevitably collapses under it's own self-indulgent weight and Mars has to assume guardianship of the human race).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Maybe we can get UT to agree to lead the assault on the fart crab JP in exchange for technical assistance.

You know, the new UT leader doesn't like the old fleet commanders anyways... Sounds like a good way to solve several problems at once. Are ya'll willing to actually do the JP assault we've known was coming since before we entered the PIT if UT promises to go first and protect us from the crab menace?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Nevets posted:

I would argue that the UT has show itself woefully unprepared for the dangers involved in space travel and that any actions which strengthen Mars' relative position will be better for all of humanity in the long term (that long term being when the UT inevitably collapses under it's own self-indulgent weight and Mars has to assume guardianship of the human race).

This has been my point of view ever since Moscow was nuked.

gently caress UT.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd say let's share tech from the fight. We need, realistically, UT to be a practical fighting force because they control a lot of human industry and resources. And we don't want them wasting that on crappy ships.

Otherwise we're going to have a lot of trouble fighting every alien humanity encounters, and we can't just let them conquer the UT if the UT end up discovering them because that means they'll be coming for us as well.

Unless you've a plan for taking over UT sharpish, we need them to be competent.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

OwlFancier posted:

Problem is that they've proven that even with advanced technology they'll still be incompetent.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Do we have any info coming about the high-ups' discussions with Terra regarding this whole situation? I'm curious what the current scope of public knowledge as well.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
We haven't got much of a leg to stand on when it comes to salvage.

Honestly we've been loving them with Facility for so long now they are bound to take note and bring the whole tech disparity to light.
The best we can do is go half/half on all salvage in nova sol and the pit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

Problem is that they've proven that even with advanced technology they'll still be incompetent.

Then we'll have to keep propping them up if so. But we can't let half the human population run around with functionally worthless spacecraft.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

LLSix posted:

Are ya'll willing to actually do the JP assault we've known was coming since before we entered the PIT if UT promises to go first and protect us from the crab menace?

FOR HUMANITY

Affi posted:

We haven't got much of a leg to stand on when it comes to salvage.

Honestly we've been loving them with Facility for so long now they are bound to take note and bring the whole tech disparity to light.
The best we can do is go half/half on all salvage in nova sol and the pit.

I think just one quarter salvage and the richest moon in The Pit before the rest of the system is split 50/50 would be better.
Well, hm, we could give them restricted access to facility for an extra roadkill. Or stick to our kill and claim another body in the Pit.

Ridin' into the danger zone simultaneously with them and the Corporates and exterminating the crabbies should be negotiable on its own. They're not going to be our meatshields, we don't have that much leverage.

> We can't afford to let them fortify. Forward all guns! Once we've rearmed of course.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 19, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So.

I'm wondering if those Raks were all that was on the other side of the JP, if it's clear to explore. Or if there's more crabs on the way and now aware of humanity.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We should deal with territorial concessions in the pit separately, but regarding salvage they shouldn't even bat an eye at 50/50 given that we were big dam heroes. I don't think they'd even be offended by us making that assumption.

For territory in the Pit, we've done most of the fighting against the crabs so far, so we could probably make them see the light that we should get a concession of some sort there considering all the work we did into trying to make it safe, but agree to it being mutually defended as a shared system as otherwise normal.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I suppose dividing things equally sets even better precedent and motivation for the UT and Corporati joining up on a JP-busting mission.

We'll probably win if we're united. I suspect Saros set them up to be only possibly to defeat with most or all of Humanity aboard.

It'll give us an enormous early game advantage (or much less disadvantage) against other species if we take a neighboring species out early on and gain both technology and lebensraum.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 19, 2017

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Does Aurora's mechanics allow technology sharing?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know but the game comes with a fully featured game master mode which I'm sure Saros could use to functionally share technology if we wanted to.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Rawkking posted:

Does Aurora's mechanics allow technology sharing?

Yes as well as a number of other treaty states, for example this is how the TFS sees us. Technology can also be passed around manually.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dr. Snark posted:

This has been my point of view ever since Moscow was nuked.

gently caress UT.

OwlFancier posted:

I'd say let's share tech from the fight. We need, realistically, UT to be a practical fighting force because they control a lot of human industry and resources. And we don't want them wasting that on crappy ships.

Otherwise we're going to have a lot of trouble fighting every alien humanity encounters, and we can't just let them conquer the UT if the UT end up discovering them because that means they'll be coming for us as well.

Regarding the potential future, I think we should build AMM complexes to try to void MAD, bring the Terrans to the table after we smash a couple of their fleets and force them to either be annexed or become junior partners in a new "Solar Union". Once we have the Terrans beaten, the IC and the Jovians can be bought out as well, let the leadership walk away with cash... and then in like 10 years we can send the Titanian Commonwealth Mossad or something after them to get their revenge.

Also,
Things the Terrans have hosed up or tried to gently caress us over on

1. They did not offer to aid Mars when our planet was loving nuked by the IC...
2. They tried to strongarm us in the aftermath of the Solar War, by sending forces to seize Titan and other recently liberated territory
3. They invented jump drives and had no intention of sharing the technology, wanting to sign a treaty with the hopes they could lock us out of Rangi and Nova Sol.
4. Immediately once they found out we had Jump Drives and had claim to their prize system they tried to re-write the rules and claim it as their's unilaterally.
5. They didn't take the issues of jump sickness seriously which caused millions of Terrans to die in a suicide attack by one of their captains.
6. Ships went missing in the PIT and they either never followed up... (in that case wtf?) or they failed to alert us about encountering the Fart Crabs, like they were mandated by treaty.
7. Their incompetence lead to their jump picket being broken by said fart crabs and they were unable to defend their own holdings without requesting Mars to bail them out. Plus millions of Terrans died... again.

We have constantly had to deal with Terran bullshit, and at least twice have had to bail them out when their incompetence lead to millions of their own citizens dying. They need to be put down because they are a danger to humanity as a whole.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 19, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

So it looks like we can share all research but not the research that comes from salvage specifically? Pity.

Also, I like how we're just kind of subtly co-opting representation of terrans out from under UT. That would probably make for a good official policy.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 19, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Well sure, the Terrans are filthy dirt farming back-stabbing fascists but I think we should see how this crab war goes before we make any plans about how to deal with them.

Who knows? The UT regime might not even survive this war intact.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Nevets posted:

And the implication is that we honestly won't collapse ourselves underneath our own self-indulgent weight before, during, or afterwards assuming stewardship of humanity, right? Do you even realize how utterly hypocritical that sounds?

Jack2142 posted:

Regarding the potential future, I think we should build AMM complexes to try to void MAD, bring the Terrans to the table after we smash a couple of their fleets and force them to either be annexed or become junior partners in a new "Solar Union". Once we have the Terrans beaten, the IC and the Jovians can be bought out as well, let the leadership walk away with cash... and then in like 10 years we can send the Titanian Commonwealth Mossad or something after them to get their revenge.

Also,
Things the Terrans have hosed up or tried to gently caress us over on

1. They did not offer to aid Mars when our planet was loving nuked by the IC...
2. They tried to strongarm us in the aftermath of the Solar War, by sending forces to seize Titan and other recently liberated territory
3. They invented jump drives and had no intention of sharing the technology, wanting to sign a treaty with the hopes they could lock us out of Rangi and Nova Sol.
4. Immediately once they found out we had Jump Drives and had claim to their prize system they tried to re-write the rules and claim it as their's unilaterally.
5. They didn't take the issues of jump sickness seriously which caused millions of Terrans to die in a suicide attack by one of their captains.
6. Ships went missing in the PIT and they either never followed up... (in that case wtf?) or they failed to alert us about encountering the Fart Crabs, like they were mandated by treaty.
7. Their incompetence lead to their jump picket being broken by said fart crabs and they were unable to defend their own holdings without requesting Mars to bail them out. Plus millions of Terrans died... again.

We have constantly had to deal with Terran bullshit, and at least twice have had to bail them out when their incompetence lead to millions of their own citizens dying. They need to be put down because they are a danger to humanity as a whole.

This and the post above is/are exactly the sort of poo poo I mean when I reference the "muh plus-slash-minus fanatics" crowd. All you care about is screwing over the other guy because gently caress him, he ain't us. You don't elaborate on your borderline hate-boner for UT (did they kill your first puppy? Did they personally attack you or a family member of yours? Did they insult your favorite show? What did they do to you specifically to garner this sort of hatred?). You don't even bandy the thought around in your heads that maybe, just maybe, if given the chance, the UT could be competent and might actually not be all too bad or too different from us.

Can we please just put the pitchforks down for one goddamn second and actually THINK THIS THROUGH?! Yes, they've screwed us over multiple times, but we've done the exact same thing to them.

We:

1. Have not told them about Facility.

2. Have planned to withhold humanitarian aid after a devastating nuclear strike for no other reason than to say gently caress you.

3. Have withheld crucial information about jump sickness--namely, that it drives people loving insane. Hell, we've run tests on it that show us exactly how many jumps it takes to have a normal human go mad!

4. Have previously discussed and were actually starting to plan to use Facility's...well, facilities to launch planet-killing missiles towards Earth for the sole purpose of raising a giant finger towards Putin and the UT at large.

5. Have taken every opportunity we can to screw them over for no other reason than "because gently caress UT." And yes, I'm including our previous war with the IC to liberate Titan. If that wasn't us trying to show off our massive schlong, I don't know what is.

You cannot claim that there's no dirt on our hands because the UT's are dirtier. I swear, for the sanity of everyone involved (which includes me, of course), don't bring up an argument to that effect.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chill dude. We are all patriotic Martians here and we want what's best for our ruddy perchlorate riddled home world.

Most of the things you mentioned were discussed but not put into practice. We didn't nuke the earth, we did share jump info, and we did burn in like avenging angels to save earth's rear end from a threat that was demonstrably beyond them.

I think we have demonstrated through our actions that we are honest dealers and act in the wifey interests of humanity, so we can afford to bargain a bit harder. Even if we end up with a 50/50 tech split, that doesn't need to be our starting offer.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Do we have any info coming about the high-ups' discussions with Terra regarding this whole situation? I'm curious what the current scope of public knowledge as well.

Am i right I'm thinking that saros takes the thread discussion as a loose proxy for the differing views of Mars command?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

HereticMIND posted:

Can we please just put the pitchforks down for one goddamn second and actually THINK THIS THROUGH?! Yes, they've screwed us over multiple times, but we've done the exact same thing to them.

Send this man Fart Krab spy to the gulags

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 19, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

HereticMIND posted:

And the implication is that we honestly won't collapse ourselves underneath our own self-indulgent weight before, during, or afterwards assuming stewardship of humanity, right? Do you even realize how utterly hypocritical that sounds?

This and the post above is/are exactly the sort of poo poo I mean when I reference the "muh plus-slash-minus fanatics" crowd. All you care about is screwing over the other guy because gently caress him, he ain't us. You don't elaborate on your borderline hate-boner for UT (did they kill your first puppy? Did they personally attack you or a family member of yours? Did they insult your favorite show? What did they do to you specifically to garner this sort of hatred?). You don't even bandy the thought around in your heads that maybe, just maybe, if given the chance, the UT could be competent and might actually not be all too bad or too different from us.

We:

2. Have planned to withhold humanitarian aid after a devastating nuclear strike for no other reason than to say gently caress you.

3. Have withheld crucial information about jump sickness--namely, that it drives people loving insane. Hell, we've run tests on it that show us exactly how many jumps it takes to have a normal human go mad!

4. Have previously discussed and were actually starting to plan to use Facility's...well, facilities to launch planet-killing missiles towards Earth for the sole purpose of raising a giant finger towards Putin and the UT at large.

5. Have taken every opportunity we can to screw them over for no other reason than "because gently caress UT." And yes, I'm including our previous war with the IC to liberate Titan. If that wasn't us trying to show off our massive schlong, I don't know what is.

You cannot claim that there's no dirt on our hands because the UT's are dirtier. I swear, for the sanity of everyone involved (which includes me, of course), don't bring up an argument to that effect.

Why are you insistent on attacking my character, dude its an LP on Something Awful... calm down. As far as the Terran thing its a loving act this is a LP right? Can someone not play an angry warhawk?

1. Okay thats 100% true.

2. Except we didn't and the majority of Mars Goons voted to do so... I might not have, but that just means on average we have been more inclined to be helpful in majority than the Terrans have been.

3. Yes, we also had every inclination to assume the Terran's had been similarly cautious in their approaches. Once the crisis happened I believe the Goon Majority voted to give them the information.

4. My intention is not to launch planet killing missiles at Terra... the plan is to build AMM systems to COUNTER their planet killing missiles. We can win a conventional war with them and obliterating Earth would be a horrific war crime and destroy the people and infrastructure I would rather us take over.

5. The IC War went hot due to the IC, if they weren't loving around the war never would have happened. The Liberation of Titan happened because we had the opportunity after a series of unlikely victories on our part in the Outer System. The move wasn't made to screw Terra, the move was made because it was the only thing we figured would draw off enough ships from Jupiter so we could end that war.

Also I never made the claim there is no dirt on Martian hands, please don't put words in my mouth. I just stated multiple occasions where the Terran's were either duplicitous or incompetent, not that in contrast Mars Goons are virtuous demigods.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 19, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

HereticMIND posted:

We:

Only one of these things has actually gone anywhere beyond idle thread/Discord discussion, and that (#1) is just a failure to actively volunteer strategic information to a mortal enemy. Don't pretend that's the same as being hilarious and horribly incompetent at every turn.

HereticMIND posted:

What did they do to you specifically to garner this sort of hatred?

Be capitalist :ussr:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean to be clear I'm not at all averse to the idea of booting out the UT government and assuming control of their resources while integrating the population into the wider martian polity, I just don't really know if it's very practical to do that.

As was nicely demonstrated, it doesn't take very many nukes at all to cause unspeakable loss of life, and I don't think it's practical for us to build anti missile defences capable of completely screening mars from any incoming strike because they would need to be 100% effective. It's one thing when the perfidious xeno come a nuking but when you get your own people nuked by starting a war with terra, I don't think that's going to go down very well politically.

Also then assuming we do survive a strike, what do we do afterwards? We have to destroy much of the terran navy which, while their ships are crap, they have a lot of and as they demonstrated just now, they're still capable of lobbing a shitload of missiles at things which will hurt our ships and colonies. It's going to result in a lot of destruction of materiel even if all we do is blow up the terran navy, that's a lot of humanity's naval capacity down the drain.

Then we have to deal with the invasion and occupation of earth and good luck taking their PDCs without lobbing a shitload of nukes at the planet, I'm sure their civilians are going to be really happy about the martians liberating their subatomic particles from fascism by bombarding them with TNE enhanced nuclear fire.

A war with terra is going to be extremely bloody and destructive and while we may perhaps be able to win it, we know there are hostile aliens out there, and we know they know we're out here. Until we can destroy every other known threat and/or eclipse terra so completely that we can credibly defend ourselves while getting rid of their leadership, we're just going to have to put up with them.

If you want to get rid of the terran leadership your best bet, I think, is destabilizing them by showing them to be ineffective, which means we keep pulling their arses out of the fire, we keep snapping up as much ground as we can, we keep them as competent as we need them to be but no more, and we keep our borders open to get as many terrans exposed to our way of doing things as possible.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah a hot war with Terra probably isn't gonna shake out all that well for humanity, a more subtle campaign of showing them up at every turn and prodding the right internal dissidents would be far more effective at collapsing them and sparing us their hilarious fuckups.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

25th Jan, 1120hrs

The ships in Nova Sol move to meet up and return to Ranginui.

After some negotiation with the Terrans the Tenacious Knave is allowed to return to Sol for repair using the Terran jump point. The Terrans assure you that they are diverting a large amount of force to secure the system and your presence is no longer necessary. In initial discussions about salvage rights the Terrans seem willing to concede one or two ships in return for being able to take charge of all the ejected Aliens.

25 Jan, 1210hrs

Prisoners have reached Ranginui and special accommodations are being prepared for proper attempts at communication.

The data already obtained is proving to be a great help in the attempts to decode their language.

The Reft Obturator Foramen is heading for the Sol jump point and then Mars with its intact captured alien vessel.

The ships damaged in the recent fighting in the Pit, i.e. the Nuclear Apology and various destroyers are undergoing repair at Ranginui V.

All in all there appears to be a lull in the excitement. You have a watch on the jump point into the Pit but so far nothing has emerged.

Up Next!

First there will be a State of the System background piece to fill in some blanks people have asked about. Then it will be time for a special project proposals to be put forward by the thread. This is fairly open ended and can be anything from a plan to righteously nationalise take over the IC's remaining assets [with or without Terran involvement], to a plan to attempt regime change on Terra, to designing and building a massive network of anti-missile platforms around Mars to pull the teeth from the state of mutually assured destruction Terra/Mars exist in.

We will shortlist proposals and the thread can vote to pick one to implement. Please do not make proposals yet as there will be an infodump tomorrow which will probably contain relevant info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as tech sharing goes I think if we're going to give the terrans anything, it should probably be engine technology because it's probably the main limiting factor in terms of their ability to keep up in a fight as well as to respond when we need them to.

The concern, of course, is that doing that will also make it impossible for us to resolve the missile issue between earth/mars, because engine parity will mean neither of us can make much headway in outclassing the other's strategic bombardment capabilities.

But giving them much else is probably not going to greatly improve their combat effectiveness.

I guess that's the crux of it really, if we want to make terra an effective combatant we're going to also make them a continued threat to mars and also make it a lot harder for us to overcome them territorially, because if they're stuck with slow engines it's going to seriously constrict their ability to hold territory, while we would have far greater leeway. That's your choice, really. Do we want to subjugate Terra or try to form an equal alliance with them and hope to moderate their politics?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 19, 2017