Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

HereticMIND posted:

everyone met with everyone else before the vote.

Since we're doing open, public voting I think that it's kind of required to have voted at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So I tired to come up with a sumbol for the Mars Firsters, and I got a couple ideas.

The tops one could symbolize Mars breaking the two way pull of Terra-Mars leaving Mars its self and strong (Thank you Crazycryodude for that interpenetration) . The later forms the traditional symbol of Mars.

This looks more like the symbol of Martian Lives Matter.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Please, let us return to shooting spaceships soon...

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Please, let us return to shooting spaceships soon...

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll find something else to have a flaming row over after the next fight.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

In B4 "The Martians started a war with an alien species, led them back to Nova Sol, got our uninvolved border guards destroyed before we had time to react, and caused the destruction of half of Nova Sol. Their expansionism is dangerous and must stop, and the next alien attack on UT holdings will be considered an act of war by a reckless Mars against humanity as a whole and responded to."

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Volmarias posted:

In B4 "The Martians started a war with an alien species, led them back to Nova Sol, got our uninvolved border guards destroyed before we had time to react, and caused the destruction of half of Nova Sol. Their expansionism is dangerous and must stop, and the next alien attack on UT holdings will be considered an act of war by a reckless Mars against humanity as a whole and responded to."

Nice, but why wait?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Volmarias posted:

Yeah it would have been terrible if we just sat on our asses and picked up some crumbs while our totally friendly, competent, and reliable neighbors got to break the news like that. It sure is a good thing we got out in front of the narrative and spun it completely different, isn't it?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Inspired by one of the worst best movies, The Last Starship, here's another battle song coming up from the underdecks of Triton Fleet:

Where are you from, comrades? What’s your unit’s name?
Wounded you’re still walking, for the red flag’s fame.
Martian sons and daughters, for the domes we fight!
Turning dust to life, marching side by side!
Ahhhhhhhhh-ah, marching side by side…
A life of cold and hunger, that’s from where we came.
But the wounds we’ve suffered, they were not in vain!
Martian sons and daughters, for the domes we fight
Turning dust to life, marching side by side!
Ahhhhhhhhh-ah, marching side by side!

Original: here thanks to Cryo

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah it would have been terrible if we just sat on our asses and picked up some crumbs while our totally friendly, competent, and reliable neighbors got to break the news like that. It sure is a good thing we got out in front of the narrative and spun it completely different, isn't it?

It's a good thing the hardliner elements we're encouraging will see our side of the story instead of MAKE EARTH GREAT AGAIN and Putina loves us, because boy howdy it would be terrible to have to face the crabs solo while UT leadership prepares for a war of annihilation with us.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The hardliners that everyone agrees are the largest threat, nobody wants to promote, and that we're currently cooking up like 5 different schemes to help Junior purge?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Volmarias posted:

It's a good thing the hardliner elements we're encouraging will see our side of the story instead of MAKE EARTH GREAT AGAIN and Putina loves us, because boy howdy it would be terrible to have to face the crabs solo while UT leadership prepares for a war of annihilation with us.

I really don't think we have to worry about fighting the crabs without UT being involved. Worst case scenario we have to evac all extrasolar people & installations back to Mars, and the crabs enter the solar system. They take 1 look and decide whether to target the lush, water soaked temperate green planet with 10 billion people's worth of EM traffic; or the smaller, drier, colder red planet with only 8% as much traffic.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
That's true, we will survive for at least a day or two longer than earth and therefore we won!

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Incy posted:

That's true, we will survive for at least a day or two longer than earth and therefore we won!

I believe the point being made is that by accident or guile, the terrans are between us and the krabs every step of the way to Sol. They invaded Nova Sol once, they'll probably come that way again. Nova Sol's jp to Sol is in the inner system and earth is a much larger target than mars.

The UT navy is basically forced to engage the krabs when they come. All the pressure to hold is on them and it's likely to seriously reduce any squirrelly business. Once we start pushing back it's anyone's game again.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nevets posted:

I really don't think we have to worry about fighting the crabs without UT being involved. Worst case scenario we have to evac all extrasolar people & installations back to Mars, and the crabs enter the solar system. They take 1 look and decide whether to target the lush, water soaked temperate green planet with 10 billion people's worth of EM traffic; or the smaller, drier, colder red planet with only 8% as much traffic.

Or they decide to come in with their murder fleet and fill the system with flourine once they're done destroying the last of our + UTs crippled navies

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

My point is that the UT will be involved in any possible crab fight regardless of our relationship at the time because they will be the first targets. People were posting about us having to fight the crabs alone if we pissed off UT too much, which won't happen unless the entire Earth navy is destroyed in a Mars-Earth war first.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nevets posted:

My point is that the UT will be involved in any possible crab fight regardless of our relationship at the time because they will be the first targets. People were posting about us having to fight the crabs alone if we pissed off UT too much, which won't happen unless the entire Earth navy is destroyed in a Mars-Earth war first.

You're assuming that the Crabs will go through Nova Sol first. This is a baseless assumption. The entire force that knew of Humans jumping in from Nova Sol was destroyed before it could return to The Fortress.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
We got pretty hefty hints they're using FTL comms.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Zurai posted:

You're assuming that the Crabs will go through Nova Sol first. This is a baseless assumption. The entire force that knew of Humans jumping in from Nova Sol was destroyed before it could return to The Fortress.

No, I'm not, I said that worst case we'd have to evac all our extra-solar stuff. In that case it wouldn't matter which path they took. But they will most likely use the Nova Sol path if they plan an attack.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

They probably looked at the atmosphere our ships vented and said "oh, that matches pretty close to a planet just a couple of jumps from here", and went for the shortest route they knew about?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 11, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Service guarantees pedantry

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Uncensored footage from the boarding action of the Postmodern Firing Solutions.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The MDF deploys.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Your regularly scheduled "waiting for the update" content is interrupted to bring you a Special Message:

Do you like roleplaying? Ever wondered what it would be like to be a big name in the local politics of a city in a country plagued by the legacy of a corrupt dictatorship? Interested in crafting policy and bickering with the national government? Then we have a special limited-time offer just for you! Stop by your local "The Game Room" subforum and look for our patented sci-fi government sim. Register your candidacy for the municipal elections now and enjoy a lifetime* of exciting** adventures in the exclusive*** world of post-revolutionary politics for the staggeringly low price of an hour of your free time! Don't miss out on this special one-time chance to fulfill your dream!

* Time period is not guaranteed.
** Experiences may vary.
*** Until the next round of elections.

Now resuming your regular programming.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Crazycryodude posted:

Your regularly scheduled "waiting for the update" content is interrupted to bring you a Special Message:

Do you like roleplaying? Ever wondered what it would be like to be a big name in the local politics of a city in a country plagued by the legacy of a corrupt dictatorship? Interested in crafting policy and bickering with the national government? Then we have a special limited-time offer just for you! Stop by your local "The Game Room" subforum and look for our patented sci-fi government sim. Register your candidacy for the municipal elections now and enjoy a lifetime* of exciting** adventures in the exclusive*** world of post-revolutionary politics for the staggeringly low price of an hour of your free time! Don't miss out on this special one-time chance to fulfill your dream!

* Time period is not guaranteed.
** Experiences may vary.
*** Until the next round of elections.

Now resuming your regular programming.

Personally I'm looking forward to how the Full Communism Now crowd running the show handles this, since we're at the part of the French Revolution where they've just overthrown the king. The real crazy hasn't had time to kick in, or the punches that nature throws them.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Personally I'm looking forward to how the Full Communism Now crowd running the show handles this, since we're at the part of the French Revolution where they've just overthrown the king. The real crazy hasn't had time to kick in, or the punches that nature throws them.

The Community will have its time in the sun, and be the savior of the Republic

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uh... Saros is still alive right?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

He was devoured by Facility. Turns out he was made entirely of TNEs.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The final release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vy7tRzhlsY

The final stage of Martian revelations is the spark that ignites Earth.

Millions of protesters, strongly bolstered by the presence of Earth First cadres descend upon the temporary UT headquarters in Brussels demanding the removal and prosecution of the current 'Putina' leadership.

The civil authorities respond with surprising restraint when dispersing the protests, certainly much greater than would have been expected before the death of Putin. The exact course of events over the following hours are somewhat confused.

The protests and riot suppression efforts rage for hours before someone fires.

It's not known which side fired first but in response to the outbreak of shooting between the police and protestors the local guard regiment, seemingly primed for this exact occurrence leaps into action. Power armored troops sweep the streets of central Brussels clean of protestors killing thousands in the process while suffering a number of casualties themselves from TN weaponry employed by small sections of Earth First fanatics.

After another hour it is clear that something very strange is happening. In seemingly co-ordinated actions the critical locations such as police stations and civil defense buildings in the western portion of the city are seized by heavily armed Earth First Militia. A large swathe of Brussels has fallen under their control and tentative efforts by the local guard unit to enter it have been met by ambushes and heavy attacks.

In orbit Terran fleet command announces it will be deploying forces to 'restore order to the temporary capital' and begins a combat drop of ready troops held by ships of the Terran defense fleet. Denouncement of this action as against orders and as an attempted coup from the civilian government soon follows and the European defense network goes live.

Terran Marines, hot-dropping from orbit are met by small yield surface to space missiles and at least a battalion worth of Terra's finest die in a firey rain across central Europe.

The response from the orbiting fleet units is swift, fighter wings launch to tangle with the defense grid and begin airstrikes across Brussels, seemingly to degrade the command and control capabilities of the civilian government. Strikes back and forth are fierce but precise, both sides appear to be shying away from high-yield devices at present in an attempt to preserve infrastructure.

1300hrs, 8 Feb 2054

A large force has been spotted departing Terra headed Solar West. It looks like an old model Battleship division and three brigade transports.

Extrapolating the course it seems the likely target is Ceres with the fleet taking a dog-leg course around Mars. ETA is approximately 3.5 days at current speed of 1600kps.

At Ceres last report had an an old-model Battlecruiser division but some of these ships and the dwarf Planets ground defenses have likely been compromised by the local insurgency. The rest of the Terran home fleet is at Earth with estimated fourteen old and six new model, recently refit capital ships as well as six fleet carriers though at least one Battleship is the badly damaged one from Nova Sol.

Available mobile response forces are Martian 2nd and 4th fleets, both built around two old model battleships with two light carriers. Also available is two brand new Cruiser and Destroyer squadrons which have recently finished shakedown. Home fleet has nine further old model capital ships and five light carriers and will remain on alert but will not deploy away from Mars at this time.

Martian scheming has brought Terra to the brink of all out civil war but for now the Terran fleet seems to be firmly held by the hardliner faction.

Do we deploy the Martian fleet to protect the Ceres insurgency and if so do we use new ships or rely on our old ships unless things escalate?

Intel projects the hardliners are in command of Terran Space forces at present and are unlikely to back down from a confrontation. However a successful break-away by Ceres would likely result in the dissolution of the Terran asteroid belt holdings.

Please vote on two options:

• To Deploy or not to Deploy to protect Ceres.
  • New Fleet or Old Fleet. You may indicate a preference on which units even if you voted to not deploy.

Saros fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 15, 2018

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Emphasis on Space Holdings; not ground based IPBMs

Deploy

New Fleet with a secret desire to send both fleets

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Our priority must be to get through this crisis with as much of humanity's fighting force still intact at the end of the day.

Unfortunately we must also ensure Terra doesn't fall into the hands of Earth First hardliners.

I have no idea how to reconcile those two at the moment. Good luck, guys!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

habituallyred posted:

Deploy

New Fleet with a secret desire to send both fleets

:yeah:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Deploy

On the whole I think new fleet is our best bet. Hopefully we can scare them off when they see what we are capable of and if we can't then at least we present overwhelming force and hopefully limit our own casualties.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Deploy

New Fleet

Now we get to see how it all falls.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Deploy the Newfleet

No reason to go with anything less than the best, if we have to open fire I'd rather it be as lopsided and easy as possible to minimize our casualties. Hell, can we take both? Send the newfleet CA's and DD's as well as an oldfleet capital squadron.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 14, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Well... poo poo. We've got to deploy right? If we don't the hardliners, who we know hate us, will have control of Ceres. Even if Putina wins the battle for Earth, that will give the Hardliners a place to hide and continue the war. Uh... wait, no... In the crazy world we live in, an ongoing battle between Putina and the Hardliners is the desired end goal of our insane actions. So if we think Putina can win, we want to not deploy. That way Earth's fleets will continue to savage each other.

On the other hand, if Putina loses, the oldfleet and hardliner generals will be largely intact. We know they hate us, but we're not actually at war right now. We will definitely be in a war if we pry Ceres and the belt out of their hands. The rioting is notionally related to the hardliners failure to adequately prevent jump psychosis, but given that they're attacking Putina who has successfully prevented attacks since coming to power, we can safely assume logic is not a strong motivating force here. So we have to assume the hardliners will be willing to attack Mars if they think they can get away with it. But Mars, although still weaker than Earth, is stronger relative to Earth than she ever has been so they're unlikely to attack unless we attack first.

In either case, there's no need to deploy.

So, if we want to be rational actors and continue to bide our time, we can safely not deploy. On the other hand, if we want to act like bloodthirsty warhawks who love explosions we should deploy.

As a side note, I wonder if Putina still has control of the interplanetary missiles. If she does, we really want to hold off on intervening until she uses them to sweep the hardliner fleets from Earth orbit, because then there's no more MAD and the crazy murderer faction of Mars can safely indulge their desire for war. If the hardliners have control of the interplanetary missiles, then starting a war with UT is still the same as voting to the end the game because MAD applies. The assured destruction of Earth isn't even a downside right now for the hardliners - they're all in space on battleships and their enemy, the Putina, is the one who'd get destroyed if we counter-nuke Earth. Basically, we'd be doing them a favor if we blew up Earth today.

Lots of people voting to deploy Newfleet. Don't forget that newfleet doesn't have any available new capitol ships and will be up against 2-4 UT Battleships and a similar number of carriers. To put this in perspective, the milhist thread recently had a discussion about if modern cruisers would be able to defeat WWII battleships. The conclusion was that even with more than 60 years of technological advances, no modern cruiser could put a battleship out of commission, whereas WWII battleships would surely sink any cruiser foolish enough to come within range.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 14, 2018

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

LLSix posted:

Lots of people voting to deploy Newfleet. Don't forget that newfleet doesn't have any available new capitol ships and will be up against 2-4 UT Battleships and a similar number of carriers. To put this in perspective, the milhist thread recently had a discussion about if modern cruisers would be able to defeat WWII battleships. The conclusion was that even with more than 60 years of technological advances, no modern cruiser could put a battleship out of commission, whereas WWII battleships would surely sink any cruiser foolish enough to come within range.
Interesting, but not very applicable to Aurora. A Pollux will easily pen a Terran BB while having stronger armor itself.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Deploy the Newfleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title
Deploy the Newfleet

The belters need to be protected from the heavy hands of this government.