Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Wow this one is also something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

What the gently caress

It's like... the game knows us somehow :tinfoil:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

IIRC we're all young as gently caress because the game starts everyone out as 21.

Also goddamn those traits. :eyepop:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

We here at the Discord have come to the conclusion that these oddities are the result of the interference of the ghost of Coldest War, haunting those once associated with it.

Be warned.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Current theory: the thread/Saros' computer is haunted by the ghost of Coldest War :supaburn:

E: Snark :argh:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Dr. Snark posted:

We here at the Discord have come to the conclusion that these oddities are the result of the interference of the ghost of Coldest War, haunting those once associated with it.

Be warned.

but I wasn't part of coldest war and it's still spot on

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Tythas posted:

but I wasn't part of coldest war and it's still spot on

Dear god IT'S SPREADING RUN FOR YOUR LIVES

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ooops I seem to have forgotten to relieve somebody of command before sending them through two more jumps.

:can:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm digging this new chapter of Aurora astrology. Also I guess my previous association has doomed me as well. Looking forward to it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

:shrug:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
It's not wrong

:negative:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Can you post mine? I haven't done much but get nearly killed around the battle to free our comrades at the TFS, but hey. Maybe I'm a surly drunk from the experience. :v:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Yeah I don't think I've been in combat for a bit, but would love to see.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I think I'm still tooling around the new system, and I'm still a bit sore about the fact that the Eureka command staff wasn't invited to dinner on the Terran ship.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Alright so some alarming news has just come out of the Discord - Mars doesn't have enough population to run our shipyards. And that's right now, without accounting for the future expansions we're gonna need to catch up with Earth. And the people we're gonna need to send to the colonies. Its not bad yet, just a slight penalty, but population crunches are bad news. We should look into opening/encouraging immigration from all sources, and while I'm sure a moderate number of TFS and IC citizens would like to come to Mars, we have to talk about the bloated, overpopulated, climate-hell elephant in the room.

We have to start accepting Earthers.

There are ten billion people crammed in like sardines down on that rock, half of whom are political dissidents and all of whom would literally kill to get some elbow room. They'll come to Mars as fast as we can ship them, and hooboy do we need them. I'd recommend taking political dissidents and oppressed classes first, both because they're less likely to try and sabotage us and because Earth will probably be glad to be rid of them. Martian passenger ships are an easier sell than mass graves, if nothing else. We need to get on this ASAP, talk to all the relevant people, and take advantage of the relatively low tensions to steal as many Earthers as we can before relations deteriorate again.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Another problem that came up is our woeful lack of civilian shipyard capacity. The IC blew up all but 3 of our civvie yards, and those three need to go to 1) gatebuilders, 2) troop transports, and 3) tankers. You'll notice there's a distinct lack of freighters and colony ships, which are critical for both shipping as many Earthers as we can to Mars and as many Martians as we can to the colonies.

Lucky for us, the TFS has a shiny new civvie shipyard complex they got as reparations from the IC, and desperately want some work for it. I propose that we contact them about contracting as many of their slipways as they're willing to rent us to build 1) colony ships, 2) terraforming ships, and 3) freighters, all of which we're gonna need an approximate metric fuckton of to properly develop our colonies.

Just to tidy it all up in one line, Saros, can we contact Earth about opening immigration and contact the TFS about building civvie ships?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 7, 2017

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

We should obviously be accepting of peoples wishing to escape the totalitarian dictatorships they find themselves in. Mars is humanity for EVERYBODY.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Veloxyll posted:

Remind me again why we agreed to EQUAL tonnage with the Terrans in OUR system without a reciprocal tonnage agreement in Nova Sol? Because that means they can park a battlefleet in our system, and have reinforcements come through once they clear the nearspace stations.
Because the treaty isn't fair :( We're giving some concessions in order to get security though and we should be able to lock down the Ranganui-Nova Sol gate very hard. Fixed defences (not ships) don't count towards tonnage limits

LostCosmonaut posted:

We almost definitely gonna go to war later, but then we'll kick Terra's face in and walk up to Putin and give him a wedgie and steal his lunch money.

Nevets posted:

We totally are in the clear keeping Facility a secret for two reasons:

1. Physically Facility predates human civilization, & therefore is most definitely an archaeological site whose discovery falls under section 6 of the Ranganui treaty.

2. Mentally Facility was a near-sentient computer program when we encountered it. It only became sentient after it was exposed to that extra-solar data dump. While physically constructed outside Sol (we assume) it nevertheless became a true life-form inside the Solar system & is therefore not an extra-solar intelligence.
:smuggo:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Come visit beautiful Mars! Take a swim in the glittering maria*, go for a hike up Olympus Mons**, or search for alien artifacts in the canals***!

Our friendly customs agents are ready to usher you into the vacation of your dreams! No fruits or vegetables, please.

*Water coming soon.
**Surface travel outside domed areas is unadvised & uninsured.
***Artifacts not guaranteed. Canals may appear to be ravines upon closer inspection.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nevets posted:

Come visit beautiful Mars! Take a swim in the glittering maria*, go for a hike up Olympus Mons**, or search for alien artifacts in the canals***!

Our friendly customs agents are ready to usher you into the vacation of your dreams! No fruits or vegetables, please.

*Water coming soon.
**Surface travel outside domed areas is unadvised & uninsured.
***Artifacts not guaranteed. Canals may appear to be ravines upon closer inspection.

All of those things work just fine in Martian Dreams, the definitive authority on visiting Mars.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
As the most important member of the Martian Navy, I would like to see my dossier.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm also p important in the navy. I think I even have a kill!

Also! Any and all acceptance of citizens from earth will result in us being hosed over by spies. We've kept a clean ship why change things?

Automatic mines and personel to run our pdcs are all we need. Send all wealth to mars so we can build her up into a better earth!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Speaking of ship construction, we should contract some civilian ship production to the IC, not colony ships that might be a little too risky, but Freighters etc. might be a good idea. If we can normalize relations with the IC rump state on Jupiter we can maybe keep them out of unilaterally supporting United Terra.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

I think contracting some civilian ship building to the TFS is a great idea and should be done ASAP to prevent Earth doing the same.

I also really like Jack's idea about seeing if the IC want to build some as well.

With regards to importing Earth's dissidents I'm torn. On one level I accept that we probably will have to do so just to keep up but at the same time I feel like it's just asking for Earth to slip in spies and covert operatives able to disrupt us when it comes to war. Or more worryingly spill secrets regarding our tech and Facility.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

BwenGun posted:

I think contracting some civilian ship building to the TFS is a great idea and should be done ASAP to prevent Earth doing the same.

I also really like Jack's idea about seeing if the IC want to build some as well.

With regards to importing Earth's dissidents I'm torn. On one level I accept that we probably will have to do so just to keep up but at the same time I feel like it's just asking for Earth to slip in spies and covert operatives able to disrupt us when it comes to war. Or more worryingly spill secrets regarding our tech and Facility.

New citizens are not allowed to work in the shipyards they must work in terraforming.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Come now, we've got multiple graduates from Earth Military Academy among our spacegoons, what's a few hundred million more folks with ties to Earth going to do for our security?

Joking aside, I'm pro-immigrant mostly for space goodguy reasons. Plus, we get to keep the special bureau busy and not up to mischief, and I'm not sure how much secret technology matters with the massive gains both UT and the Martian Federation are likely to get from the graveyard planet.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jack’s Peace Time Ideas

Ship Construction Policies
1. Develop a Terraformer Ship, this can be used to supplement the ground based terraformers and be deployed to the colonies when needed?
2. Contract construction of the Civilian Ship designs to both the TFS and IC, we need more civilian capacity desperately. With the IC they would likely appreciate us offering to pay them for their services, while angry at the war they are capitalists and money is money. If the ships end up sabatoged, then we have a casus beli to put them out of their misery.
3. Ditto on purchasing potential Tankers and other designs from the IC that they might have in abundance.
Immigration/Manpower Policies
1. Encourage Terran Immigration to Mars, however many of these immigrants should be employed in the joke and cum mines of Mars. I mean the terraforming industries, freeing up more Martians to be employed in the Naval Sector.
2. Sign a Free movement treaty for civilians with all the independent states of the Sol System, this should help normalize relations after the IC War and the recent tensions. This will potentially open us up to spies, but I think SB is pretty good at their jobs, it will also let us infiltrate Terran colonies/cities/habitats with potential agitators.
Diplomacy Policies
1. The IC are not our friends, but we need to make overtures to ensure they do not drift into the Terran Camp. That means establishing diplomatic ties and making an effort to show the IC war is in the past and working with us, rather than against us will be better for them in the long run.
2. If the IC fails to respond to our overtures, we should make plans for finishing them off, either by us or by the allied TFS. We cannot afford a hostile revanchist power, we need to render them friendly at best, or neutral at worst.
Military Policies
1. Deploy a detachment of Martian Officers and ships to the TFS to help them build up their military forces. These ships can include elements of the Triton Fleet, such as the Flagship Victory under command of Cryo and any volunteers.
2. We need to assemble a scratch force to garrison Raganui, right now the Terrans have free reign of the system, a few Endurances, Schia’s and Hubbles will give some more legitimacy to our claim than a single rickety jumpship.
Exploration Policies
1. Priority ONE is discovering any remaining jump points in the Sol System ASAP, while we cannot unilaterally claim them we need to discover them before the Terran’s find it and decide they need 2+ exclusive JP chains for Lebensraum. Because I really don't want us to have to go through the appeasement process yet again.
2. We need to then scout out from Raganui, while its clear the system is bountiful we need to continue exploring to ensure that we can find our own secure system where we can build a colony and potentially a fleet base away from Terran eyes. This should take priority over continuing geo-surveys.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 7, 2017

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It is the manifest destiny of every Martian to take to the stars.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
If we are going to place ourselves as the self appointed lead defenders of humanity we should probably represent all of it within our nation anyway.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So do these traits have any effect on anything?

...also what are mine? :ohdear:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Also let's start shipping in Terrans and their money.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

So do these traits have any effect on anything?

...also what are mine? :ohdear:

Nah the traits are just randomly generated by the game to add a bit of flavor, no actual gameplay effect (yet). Or, well, "randomly", these ones have obviously been affected by the ghost of Coldest War.

As to concerns over whether taking in Earther refugees will be a security risk... we don't have much choice. Where else are we gonna get the hundreds of millions of people we need? Not want, need. Mars is already having population troubles and we haven't even started to ship people out to the colonies or expand our shipyards/industry/terraformers. Population crunches in Aurora can be incredibly bad, and we need to avoid one of our own at all costs. I'm sure Earth will slip some spies and saboteurs into all the dissidents they ship us, but the number should be relatively low and the SB are good at their jobs.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I'm just glad I died in a heroic, one may daresay NELSONIC fashion leading my fleet and breaking forever the power of the IC early in the LP. :unsmigghh:

Name a colony after your dear martyred admirals, Mars! I mean, eventually.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Well I'm sure Putin will ensure those migrants will be convicts and other malcontents but they make the best fanatics anyway.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Veloxyll posted:

Remind me again why we agreed to EQUAL tonnage with the Terrans in OUR system without a reciprocal tonnage agreement in Nova Sol? Because that means they can park a battlefleet in our system, and have reinforcements come through once they clear the nearspace stations.

Because we are allowed to fortify the Rangi side of the jump points. You need a truly massive advantage to force yourself though a fortified jump point.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Another problem that came up is our woeful lack of civilian shipyard capacity. The IC blew up all but 3 of our civvie yards, and those three need to go to 1) gatebuilders, 2) troop transports, and 3) tankers. You'll notice there's a distinct lack of freighters and colony ships, which are critical for both shipping as many Earthers as we can to Mars and as many Martians as we can to the colonies.

Lucky for us, the TFS has a shiny new civvie shipyard complex they got as reparations from the IC, and desperately want some work for it. I propose that we contact them about contracting as many of their slipways as they're willing to rent us to build 1) colony ships, 2) terraforming ships, and 3) freighters, all of which we're gonna need an approximate metric fuckton of to properly develop our colonies.

Just to tidy it all up in one line, Saros, can we contact Earth about opening immigration and contact the TFS about building civvie ships?

Here's a quick design for civilian ships. If a yard is tooled for either the colony ship, troop transport or tanker, it can also build the cargo ship
code:
Civilian Ship Cargo class Cargo Ship    82 150 tons     340 Crew     1398 BP      TCS 1643  TH 3600  EM 0
2191 km/s     Armour 1-168     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 11    Max Repair 75 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 6    
Cargo 50000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 20    

300 EP Commercial Ion Drive (12)    Power 300    Fuel Use 5.3%    Signature 300    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 500 000 Litres    Range 20.7 billion km   (109 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
code:
Civilian Ship Colonist class Colony Ship    82 450 tons     530 Crew     3352 BP      TCS 1649  TH 3600  EM 0
2183 km/s     Armour 1-168     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 25    Max Repair 75 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 0    
Cryogenic Berths 200000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 20    

300 EP Commercial Ion Drive (12)    Power 300    Fuel Use 5.3%    Signature 300    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 500 000 Litres    Range 20.6 billion km   (109 days at full power)

code:
Civilian Ship Troop Transport class Troop Transport    82 450 tons     530 Crew     2152 BP      TCS 1649  TH 3600  EM 0
2183 km/s     Armour 1-168     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 16    Max Repair 75 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 0    
Troop Capacity: 20 Battalions    Cargo Handling Multiplier 20    

Fuel Capacity 500 000 Litres    Range 20.6 billion km   (109 days at full power)

code:
Civilian Ship Fuel Tanker class Tanker    81 400 tons     310 Crew     3177 BP      TCS 1628  TH 3600  EM 0
2211 km/s     Armour 1-167     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 24    Max Repair 75 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 2    

Fuel Capacity 50 000 000 Litres    Range 2085.8 billion km   (10918 days at full power)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What's the load/unloading times for those? You usually want to get under a day and I usually shoot for 8-10 hours.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

LLSix posted:

What's the load/unloading times for those? You usually want to get under a day and I usually shoot for 8-10 hours.

12 hours for the troop transport, 1 day for cargo, 2 for colonists. Each has 2 Improved Cargo Handling Systems on it, can be increased to suite Mars' needs.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Yo, bring us your Earthlings yearning to be free. Mars needs stout hearts and busy hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Quite the record.

I believe that is everyone who asked.

Feelers will be sent out to Earth about easing immigration restrictions and the TFS will be contacted about possible contract builds of freighters.