Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
No need to risk martian ground forces, destroy the targets from orbit with ship weapons. This is a war, civilians die. Better it be the IC that die than Martians.

On a different note I was looking at Saturn and 75% of the atmosphere is Hydrogen with the rest being helium with some negligible other materials. if we could set a fire among the atmosphere that should cause one really big explosion, if the mining facilities are in the atmosphere then it should wreck them right and we can always build new ones later once everything settles down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Yessss. The Serial Savior will serve her new fleet well.

Given what we know now, we should plan the main fleet's departure for as soon as Naomi is ready. That means pushing the Musk and Mayers out immediately since they're rearmed.

9th CruDiv and the marines can meet us near Saturn. We'll want to do ground assaults to take the political objectives. Avoiding Martian Marine casualties is tempting in the short term, but the massive civilian casualties caused by a purely orbital bombardment would risk turning Earth against us. As long as the war remains between us and the IC, we've got a good shot at winning things. If the IC and Earth team up against us... well, at least I can die with the knowledge that Mars's brave sons will die well. 2:1 odds are not realistically survivable.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 20, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

We're not gonna be able to set Saturn on fire, sorry. No oxygen for the hydrogen to combust with. I guess it's theoretically possible to get some kind of fusion chain reaction going on, but that is well beyond our tech levels.

Re: working with Senator Warcrimes and his cabal, I'm all for it. Once we secure the system, the Marines can head in, or we can crack open some cans of sunshine, or do whatever needs doing. Doesn't change the first phase of the plan no matter what, at least. Let's capture Saturn, and then figure out what to do with it from there.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
The lack of oxygen precludes setting all of Saturn on fire.

I think we should do as the hardliner says and drop marines all over the place. For the glory of Marskind.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Nuking civilians is just loving dumb besides being horrible.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Besides, that message is obviously not realistic. Senator Warcrimes is trying to set us up.

Of course the IC doesn't have unions.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Great LP! Can you add me to the list of prospective captains? Ship preference is a mainline combat vessel, the bigger the better, named Ocean. Thanks!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Since I realized I sadly do not have the proper "stern military voice" I was looking for in my rousing speech it's going to be in message format. Pity that.

To All Members Of The Outer Fleet:

Sons and Daughters of Mars. We stand at a turning point in the history of our people.

Though we have shown the cowards in the Interstellar Corporation the true might of our people by annihilating the fleet that dared to attack Triton, they have decided that they no longer wish to fight an honorable or just war. In the past few days they have launched a long-ranged assault on Mars Himself, having come to the rightful conclusion that their fleets cannot hope to match our own. They believe that by attacking our dream of a new Eden, they have demoralized us, taken away our will to fight.

They are wrong.

Those who were slain by our cowardly enemies cry out for vengeance! The living call for revenge against those who would attempt to deny us our vision! Mars Himself thirsts for the strength of his people!

And we shall answer those cries.

As we speak, we are beginning preparations for the largest assault on Interstellar Corporation space yet, codenamed "Operation Sherman." The cowards in their ivory towers have shown us that they are more than willing to flout the rules of war, flagrantly striking at our very heart. They believe they understand what it means to fight a war. We are going to show them the fury of Mars and as their ships burn, as their defenses crumble, as their leaders watch helplessly as we bring them to ruin-

They will understand what war truly is.

Glory To Mars! Glory to our dream of a New Eden! And death to those who stand against us!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Operation Sherman's Vengeance . I'm sure our marines could arrange for an unfortunate Sorium tanker "accident" on Titan.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

In regards to the request

The Sherman plan is not entirely incompatible with the special request, our goal is to capture the system intact... initially at least. If we immediately burn Saturn to the ground, the IC have no incentive to attempt to relieve the system and weaken the defenses around Jupiter and risk losing the capitol to the Martian Home Fleet. Having the system captured without destruction keeps its value to not just the IC, but Mars as well especially if their are elements on Titan who might be willing to align the Saturnine system with Mars over the IC, as after the IC is dealt with Earth is remaining unscathed by our conflict.

In regards to the attacking Titan with our ground forces, I say we can target the IC garrison with orbital bombardment as they are a valid military target, its not genocide its collateral damage. launch a limited strike, to show we can wipe them out from orbit and request their surrender. The IC forces we have faced have honestly been pretty reasonable about surrendering rather than fighting on hopelessly. The garrison would be dead before relief could arrive, and we would be just as justified wiping them out as the IC could be in attacking Mars with the Boomers. Alternatively we could soften them up at least a little if collateral damage is too high so at least their are fewer defenders for us to kill on the ground.

In my opinion the risk of losing some ground soldiers is acceptable to establishing control over a functional Saturnine system.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 20, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So what is the internal structure of IC like anyway?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I updated the orders with what appears to be the consensus on Discord. Basically we'll land troops and only bombard to destroy military targets. But we will have to bombard; not only to neutralize the PDCs so we can secure the space, but to defeat whatever ground troops oppose the landings. Our ground force really isn't very big so orbital firepower will be necessary. Collateral damage is inevitable but we're not going into warcrimes mode.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GunnerJ posted:

So what is the internal structure of IC like anyway?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

"Yeeeeaaaah, listen, I'm going to need you to come in on Saturday so we can launch that raid."

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
We might want to consider pulling our infantry back from S-T if we are gonna do this, but only if we want to bring more than just marines. I agree that using ground forces is the best way. Seems like it might discourage our collaborators if we start nuking civies.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'll definitely give that speech a go when I get home.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

xthetenth posted:

I'll definitely give that speech a go when I get home.

You're good people. I wish I had the voice for that but mine's a bit too high-pitched to convincingly sound like a general calling for blood and death.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I can also give that speech a shot

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Make that 3 people giving the speech a shot, check your inbox Snark.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Lunar Broadcast Network Special report: Crisis on Patroclus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQAzGSFCMvo

Credit to Cryo for the voicing.

---------------------------------

From a quick count it looks like the winner is Saturn and operation Sherman, with perhaps a twist of vengance. I should hopefully have some time to run it this evening so please make any last minute tweaks to the plan now!

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 21, 2017

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Whatever we do I vote against warcrimes.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
If we can get some SB support via jamming gear, Senator Warcrimes' plan would be less risky. Otherwise, I vote sticking to Vanilla Sherman.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Operation Vengeance sounds fun but we need all our marines at Saturn. So unless we stumble onto a freighter on the way there, I say leave it out.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Crazyeyes24 posted:

If we can get some SB support via jamming gear, Senator Warcrimes' plan would be less risky. Otherwise, I vote sticking to Vanilla Sherman.

Senator Warcrimes actually chairs the oversight comittee for special branch so you can count on their support. If you'd chosen the special branch option instead of the outer system he would have been your boss :v:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

What's the training level of our new recruits set at, and can we bump it up a notch or is that beyond our paygrade? Higher starting crew grades seem like they would mesh well with our quality over quantity approach.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Saros posted:

Senator Warcrimes actually chairs the oversight comittee for special branch so you can count on their support. If you'd chosen the special branch option instead of the outer system he would have been your boss :v:

We missed out on the best timeline then.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Just want to say I'm prepared to drop that part of the plan too if things don't look right when we get to Saturn. We've been told to expect strong enemy resistance on the ground, and we really don't have a lot of troops. It's possible that winning a ground battle won't be feasible without massive bombardments and heavy collateral damage. We also have to consider time; each round of ground combat takes five days, and even if we can win we don't want to spend weeks securing the system.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If they won't surrender to our ground forces in a reasonable time, we nuke them until they either do or they're all dead. The IC showed no compunction at striking at the terraformers, why should we show them any mercy? Strikes on the terraformers is not only a strike at our civilian population today, it is an attack at every civilian who ever will live on Mars. The loss of a few million corporate drones in an office block somewhere is not only proportionate, it is in my eyes a mercy to free them from the drudgery of their wage slave existence.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

If they won't surrender to our ground forces in a reasonable time, we nuke them until they either do or they're all dead. The IC showed no compunction at striking at the terraformers, why should we show them any mercy? Strikes on the terraformers is not only a strike at our civilian population today, it is an attack at every civilian who ever will live on Mars. The loss of a few million corporate drones in an office block somewhere is not only proportionate, it is in my eyes a mercy to free them from the drudgery of their wage slave existence.

I think its more of a plot thing that a part of the game hes setting up where our soldiers need to destory certain things on the ground, not take the moon. We do not have enough forces to take the moon without murdering most of the civilians. Right now I'm think we are mainly keeping our options open seeing if this is actually a good option or not.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm all against war crimes. We have allies on the inside and they have friends and family living on Saturn. (Spacers union or whatever it's called)

Take the system, incapacitate all space based defences, tug away their loving naval yard and precision strike with marines and the assault troops. Maybe we can't take their most well fortified positions but we can and will take any outlying station or poorly defended moon.

We have a couple of weeks before any meaningful response arrives from the IC and our ships are faster anyway.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Pharnakes posted:

Pharnakes brings up some good points regarding IC and their perfidy. We should not bother overmuch about these or any megacorp stooges.

Try not to think of them as people. As soon as we figure out how to get enough oxygen to Saturn to set it on fire, we'll probably do that.

For the glory of Marskind, and in accordance with the purity of our precious bodily fluids, which came from melted ice caps on holy Mars and nowhere else, except for maybe a comet that one time.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do we have to do this.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Affi posted:

We have a couple of weeks before any meaningful response arrives from the IC and our ships are faster anyway.
Well, no. Jupiter to Saturn is only a ~6 day trip for most of the IC classes we've seen. It's also likely that Saturn has a big passive array like Jupiter. We must assume that our fleet will be detected a day or two before arrival and Jupiter will dispatch reinforcements immediately. So time may actually be quite limited.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

Do we have to do this.

Absolutely. They tried to steal not only the present from us but the future too. There could be no such thing as an excessive response to such a reprehensible and cowardly act. Those boomers are out there somewhere, rearming as we speak. The IC obviously feel our second strike capability is not sufficient to dissuade them from making such attacks. We must show them how wrong they are.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Not really what I meant but OK.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Also if they send out ships from Jupiter it's exactly what we want to happen, so that maybe the inner fleet does something besides small raids and skirmishes.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I agree - The IC was willing to strike at our most vulnerable, this is already a dirty war. We shouldn't be just terror bombing, but collateral damage in pursuit of valid military objectives shouldn't be shied from.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

Absolutely. They tried to steal not only the present from us but the future too. There could be no such thing as an excessive response to such a reprehensible and cowardly act. Those boomers are out there somewhere, rearming as we speak. The IC obviously feel our second strike capability is not sufficient to dissuade them from making such attacks. We must show them how wrong they are.

Mars-Jupiter is currently about 700m km which is unfortunately outside of the range of your mars based interplanetary missiles which were designed with earth-mars transits in mind. However work is ongoing on modifications to them and within a month or so they will be able to target Jupiter space.

Whether anyone is prepared to indiscriminately target civilian populations at that point is another matter.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
We're fanatics, No? They tried to strike at our very survivability as a planet, I'm sure jingoism is at a peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Current Martian public opinion sways between 'nuclear fire is too good for them' and 'perhaps not everyone is at fault so when we nuke them we should be a little bit careful.'