Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Mars

Hopefully this one doesn't immediately peter out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

I'd rather be a Civilian Administrator if possible.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

@Intel: Do we have numbers on the deep space sensor strength of Earth or Jupiter?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

I meant the big planetary sensors, do we have intel on those?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Saros posted:

Yes numbers and picture in the intel post is for the Planetary based 'DSTS' sensors. If I was to give every faction 20-30 installations they could easily watch every movement in the system so the numbers are limited.

Oh, sorry, I missed your edit, I thought you misunderstood and just posted about sensors generally.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Sounds good.

Might want to put our scout vessel on point and drop off the marines before leaving the asteroid belt.

Don't let the giant blue dots fool you, asteroids are grains of sand on this scale and do absolutely nothing to sensors.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

SlightlyMad posted:

B.
A.
A.
A.

This

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Having a population anywhere except Earth requires a resource called infrastructure, which can be built with industry. Civilian mining operations don't usually have infrastructure, so this must have been hand-placed.

What happened is that a TN warhead hitting an occupied body will kick up radiation and randomly destroy structures. We randomly destroyed enough Infrastructure to house 200,000 people. How many people actually died depends on a lot of factors. Some or most of them may have fled to other infrastructure, which can sustain being overloaded for a time but will eventually kill off people until it hits its maximum population level.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

A - I don't buy their story. If they really wanted to keep a person safe they would have surrendered, and we're not specced for capture.

B - No need for a full war just yet.

A - energy only - Missiles are too imprecise but energy weapons will be more useful.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

sniper4625 posted:

If the IC hadn't destroyed the site. Such a shame.

They shot a hundred missiles at the comet. We all saw it.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

1) Outer System
2) Special Branch
3) Inner System

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

The main strategic question is - is this convoy a joint venture with Earth, or is it an invasion fleet?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Gibraltar

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

We can discuss holding S-T after dealing with the death fleet heading towards our HQ.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Against missiles?

The best defense is generally to outrange your opponent by 50% or so.

Next best is to have big ships with thick armor and redundant systems.

Short of that, you want to have upgraded gauss cannon turrets. Gauss cannons have an explicit rate-of-fire upgrade tree, which makes them the most effective point defense weapons.

I like to split my fleet into one long-range missile element and one gauss-and-meson element.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Pharnakes posted:

Mesons sound to me like they are way above the tech level we are playing with here.

No, there's only a few techs you can't build from the start. The problems with mesons are low range, high power requirements, and only doing 1 damage per hit.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

1. Topple
2. Scorched

Let's not help our foes.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Strategic Tea posted:

Do we know how much overlap there is between Senator Warcrimes' friends and the revolutionaries?

Because it would really suck to buy out the Saturn leadership only to have it overthrown anyway or get it stuck in a ten year civil war.

Keeping it out of Terra's hands is enough of a win for now.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

So the Type 8 should have called the Mark 14 amirite?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Umm... Sorium-based fuel is not explosive. Missiles and power plants are explosive. Did you just ruin the Solar economy because you can't tell the difference between TN materials and petroleum?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Could we get English versions of these mottos alongside for those of us who don't know dog Latin? Thank you.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

This might be just a bit premature, but I wonder if we can wrangle some sort of joint defense arrangement with Terra regarding alien threats.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

B

The only thing that could have made this better is a gas giant in the central system and a gas giant on that crazy distant dwarf with a JP connecting them.

At some point in Aurora with random stars turned on you have to accept you're jumping into another universe with different physics.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

They're not going to agree to that. They've already surveyed the inner system, any new finds will be in the outer system.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

I'm also pretty sure that star doesn't have anything around it, or it would have been mentioned in the system survey.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Go quiet, drift away, call in the fleet

We just built those survey ships, no reason to get the crew killed

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Plan Bremen

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Yes

Although we're going through a jump, so we'll probably need to scrap the unit and sanitize the data before feeding it back in.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

There's also the more advanced form of the tin can on a string - send in a probe on a tether that has a communication cable. Every meter of tether have a repeater that steps the signal up or down to where it can be read by the next repeater despite the time gradient. It's a lot easier then one transmitter at the far end having its signal being stretched beyond detection.

Added Space fucked around with this message at Oct 31, 2017 around 19:03

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Keep in mind, this is the one we see. It may have a few more buddies we just didn't catch in its shadow.

I say cut emissions, reduce speed, and head on a vector back in the direction of our JP.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Lower shields, stop, and turn on the transponder? Seems like the best way to sign peaceful intentions.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Thinking about it some more, do we want to turn on our transponders in the Pit just so we don't end up getting ambushed by Terran ships there and/or draw in any hiding crabs?

Also, do we want to invite the Terrans to join our defensive cordon in the Pit?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Can we even build that? I could never build a massive orbital fort due to maintenance limitations.

Or is that actually a PDC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Pash posted:

Maybe someone set this up to try to limit the amount of FTL travel being made (hence the Krab sleeper cell)? We do now space Cthulhu is out there, maybe this was an over entirely appropriate reaction by someone to keep it contained?