Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I vote to nick the ship and the people on it. Send them somewhere useful. Find some other way that doesn't involve murdering massive numbers of civilians. Abort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think whatever the facility has to say about that incident will dictate Mars's position going forwards. It may have information about what happened and potentially what blew up our destroyer. Its disposition also determines whether it can be brought onside or whether it will need to be treated as a hostile actor. If indeed it turns out that something malevolent is sitting on the other side of the FTL connection the facility itself may be very keen to ensure that nothing can leave the system until a safe exit can be found.

If it did just wake up Nyarlathotep then presumably as the AI vestige of a spacefaring polity obsessed with keeping stuff like that contained, it would not, presumably, want to risk Earth giving it a few extra pokes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well you got me to download this game and it's terrifying, is there any sort of new player guide?

E: looks like quill18 has a video series so I'll watch that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coffeehitler posted:

You will know within 20 minutes of hands on play whether or not Aurora is for you. I can't imagine watching someone else play it in VLP format :smithicide:. That said, bgremen's posts in his LP help explain a lot of the mechanics; and there's not only the discord for this LP, but an Aurora 4x discord as well (I believe they are both linked in the OP).

I've been playing it for probably about 12 hours now and I actually do enjoy watching quill VLP it, especailly as I started just copying his stuff, very nicely informative and I like the "don't generate aliens until I explore some" option a hell of a lot.

I will look at EE, I'm mostly worried now about having no idea what constitutes a "good" ship as it's hard to get a handle on, like, how much of anything you actually need, firepower, guns, tracking, ammo, speed, size, whatever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like in space, territory is wherever you can shoot any other bastard who tries to take it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No enemies of the revolution on this moon thank you very much!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Missiles self destruct when they lose their target and have no sensors.

How do they know they've lost their target with no sensors? :thunk:

They have a radio antenna which receives guidance information from the missile FCS on the ship that launched them and if it tells them "welp I dunno where they are lol" then it blows itself up.

Basically all our missiles are surplus SA2 guidelines with loving space magic nuclear warheads strapped onto them. Guidance FCS is like, two dozen fan songs taped together on the hull of the ship. :ussr:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 27, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't you just put all the fighters in a big net and tow them behind the carrier like nuclear armed crabs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We did just kind of capture a big pile of sorium, other TNEs are generally more valuable, as in there's actually finite amounts of them in the system, sorium can be slow to harvest but gas giants often have lots of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demand unconditional surrender, if he wants to detonate nuclear weapons causing major civlian casualties, let him. And let us see if that does not constitute casus belli to wipe the IC off the face of the solar system.

If the IC demolish their assets and have no fleet, why would Terra want to keep them around?

Negotiation is for when you have not already done the majority of the work.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 31, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

United Space Sovereignties of maRs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My bote is designed for a knife fight in a phone booth when all combat is very long range missile combat so our most valuable role will be absorbing missiles that would be better targeted at shooters.

Until they run out of missiles, at which point, fookin' 'ave it mate :getin:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As nice as it would be to strap the triumvir to the end of one of the plasma carronades before we engage the IC fleet, I'm fine with the Martian NKVD picking him up.

But yeah maybe give them a little call just to make sure they didn't get hijacked by an IC/terran commando team and the IC didn't just steal our snoopship to get their exec out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really hope that the home fleet has some extremely good intel on how many SSSSSSBNs the IC have and what their salvo capabilities are, because if they missed one...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

frankenfreak posted:

Look at all of you, pretending you wouldn't do the same with spite and glee if we were on the definitely losing side. :colbert:

Well yes but we're winning and it's annoying when they do it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why on earth would we trust the IC?

No treaty with the bourgeoisie. Workers of the worlds stand united.

Start blaring this over all comm channels in response: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsPOgCPEeKs&t=25s

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 3, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mars has yet to negotiate with anybody, we accept surrenders but why start talking terms now?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

frankenfreak posted:

On one hand, we'd lose any moral high ground we have, on the other hand :twisted:!

Well I assume we'd evacuate them first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like this is more Odysseus trolling the Trojans than terrorism, though I concur that it seems a bit unlikely to work, much like that myth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My vote is for the new moon of mars as being a hull stripe on all TFS ships, and the nice ancom titan flag for the main one:

Innocent_Bystander posted:

Thanks to the discord for some tweak feedback. Source vectors available.

The sybolism of Titan and Saturn seem pretty obvious to me. The red and black background serves as space-with-decorative-elements, a thank-you to Mars, and a nod to their rebellious origins.

Edit: hosed around with orientations a bit. Original: https://i.imgur.com/5t4qkKY.png

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

Populo Australis Vincit Omnia = Google gives me "The Southern Skies" so I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I think it's supposed to be "the people of the south conquer all" given as Mars is made of refugees.

I feel like "Victi, Vincimus." (Conquered, we Conquer.) would be appropriate but it's not very creative.

Also deriving from the current state of our fleet and our post battle tendencies...

Hostibus relinqueret purpura?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 7, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LLSix posted:

Most of the proposals I see are far too punitive to the IC. Did we learn nothing from the WWI peace treaty?

Indeed, we should instead dissolve the IC and split it up between terra and mars.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, on the other end, possibly, but afaik aurora does not take place in the 40k universe, so the jump itself should be fine :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

B but try to look unhappy about it, that's a pretty darn good system we have there assuming it is uninhabited, no reason to let the terrans know that though. Generally what I'd look for in a system is as many planetary bodies as possible because that means more chances at getting minerals. At least one readily habitable one is good too. Gas giants are nice but you don't need that many of them, they have functionally infinite fuel, the issue is the extraction rate which is a matter of building infrastructure, not how many of them you have.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 10, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

silentsnack posted:

But speaking of the migraine that is Aurorastrophysics, that kind of system really needs intra-system jumps to be anything other than a flavoriffic waste of CPU, though it would also be awesome if there was an option to make Jupiter-mass planets (or smaller?) and dwarf stars (or larger?) capable of generating those. Or support for modding so people can make their own who-gives-a-gently caress-about-your-dumb-arbitrary-magical-pseudoscience-simulator-I-just-want-to-have-fun conveniences. :v:

Unless I'm mistaken superjovian planets will generate lagrange points which can be used to jump around in system.

Like, OOC knowledge and all that but it's in the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alright fine evidently this does take place in the 40k universe and I'm a big dumb idiot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A sufficient density of objects of alien origin, suitably positioned that they constitute a weather pattern, to wit; constant rain of metal from the sky.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Well, in normal Aurora terms it's unprecedented, at least. Maybe Saros will SM every system to be covered in ruins in the future, but this particular one was pure RNG.

Can you actually roll alien ruins on that sort of scale in aurora? I know ruins are a thing, but I thought it was more like star trek "we found an abandoned mineshaft near kirk's rock and there's a dude with face paint on in there we have to talk to" kind of thing, not, well, that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saros posted:

You had a crew experience a psychological event after multiple jumps in quick succession which coincided with a physical failure of the jump drive. Right now commands priority is to recall them to figure out wtf.

If you want to change anything going on like sending the survey ships to map sols jump points instead of exploring the new system or quaranting people exposed to jumpspace feel free to bring it up.

I would strongly recommend quarantining anybody who undergoes a jump pending, at the least, psychological evaluation and ideally until we can figure out what the gently caress is causing the effects we observed.

They can work on their ships but when they are on shore leave they should be kept under observation and be given their own, isolated facility. It can be a nice facility but until we know what is going on we should be treating jumping as highly dangerous and potentially cognitohazardous.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To be more coherent I would suggest that we establish an interstellar exploration corps, all personnel who will be undergoing jump travel must be incorporated into this organization, all members of the organization will be briefed on our best understanding of the effects of undergoing jump travel and will understand that they can and will be confined indefinitely if they start to exhibit signs of psychological deterioration as a result of the effects of jump travel. It should have a well funded psychology and biology staff whose job is a: under no circumstances undergo jump travel themselves and b: to study the effects of jump travel on those who do. Personnel who have undergone jump travel can not be permitted to rejoin the general population of humanity until further notice, this may change as we learn more about it, or it may be vindicated, but as it stands we have no idea what this technology does to people. For all we know it could be giving us all space ebola.

Things like taking samples from everyone on the crew before they go on their first trip and after subsequent trips to track potential genetic or other damage or possible bacterial/viral/parasitic infection. As well as tracking psychological effects and long term psychological drift as a result of exposure, also look for common elements in the experiences of crew members and try to plot them, and determine the reason for those experiences.

Basically we know there's some kind of horrible alien poo poo out there that already destroyed a way more advanced civilization than ours, we don't know how they went about jump travel or anything about their biology/psychology so while it might have been safe for them it might not be for us. And we don't even know if it was safe for them in the long run. As we have no way of stopping UT from using jump travel it falls upon us to treat jump travel as a hostile, yet necessary phenomenon. We need to understand how it works, what it's doing to us, and anticipate what it might be doing to the Terrans. As well as figuring out if it's going to attract anything that's going to gently caress us all up.

I don't want this to end up going the way of the discovery of radioactivity because the dangers could be existential rather than merely tragic/hilarious in hindsight.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 14, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

That sounds like a great way to piledrive morale straight through the floor and ensure that the only people who apply to join the Jump Corps are suicidal cases who feel they have nothing left to lose.

That might be accurate for all we know.

But I'm sure you can find some patriotic volunteers, we don't need a vast crew as I certainly loving hope we aren't planning on opening up civilian travel until we know what's going on, and I don't think we need to deploy the fleet on the other side, and in the event we do, everything we've seen so far suggests we would be woefully outmatched and that doing so would be ruinous.

Each of the tangaroas needs 84 crew so if we can't find 350 people on mars willing to risk their lives for the good of humanity I think we've got more problems. As I said we can review the quarantine policy at a later date if necessity requires it, but at this point we don't have any idea what it's going to do to us and maybe we should at least ask that question before rubbing our faces all over the jump drive.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 14, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't blame me when the MSS Event Horizon reappears 10 feet above the martian capital filled with genestealers then :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

silentsnack posted:

The military has been sending people to their deaths for thousands of years, so somehow somehow this shipload of sailors didn't get the discipline and "you will go out there and you will loving die if you orders say so" indoctrination that every soldier has gotten for as long as humans have been killing one another for someone else's benefit?

It's hardly any different from HAZMAT workers who handle radioactive poo poo or lab technicians working with contagious pathogens. They need training, whatever safety measures are determined necessary, and health treatment for any potential deleterious effects of what they're dealing with.

Which means someone needs to figure out what they're dealing with, how it affects people, and how to determine the risks and reduce the potential for harm. Since the known hazards are psychological/neurological that means someone gets to be the test subject for human experiments, with informed consent, just like any medical science. And guess what, there are a few dozen test subjects waiting to be examined.

So maybe a little bit of internal propaganda is in order, Praise the heroes who are dedicating their lives for the safety and betterment of the Martian people. Which is exactly what they were already doing. And everyone in the interstellar corps gets a little extra R&R while the eggheads do their 'science' thing.

Also they get cooler hats and a medal for signing up.

And an extra ration of space whiskey when they're off-duty. Morale problem solved.

Yeah I mean I was advocating for the interstellar shore leave facility to be nice, it just needs to be staffed with a lot of doctors so we can make sure they aren't hosed up by the jump process.

At the very least I don't think we want people to end up with late stage jump cancer from the warp radiation because we weren't paying attention.

mossyfisk posted:

We need to ship literally millions of civilians through that jump point.

Not until we know what it does to the human body we don't!

And even less so until we know what the hell is on the giant alien technoplanet and that it isn't gonna send out murderbots if it detects a thermal signature in the system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It could also be the fact that they were exposed to successive jumps full stop, and that each time you jump it scrambles your brain irreparably.

Maybe we should study that before we send millions of people through it!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also even if you don't do the quarantine for jumping itself you had drat well better be quarantining anybody who sets foot on an alien planet because you should all know enough history to be aware of the effects of hitherto unencountered diseases on human populations... I appreciate that it might not be a problem for anywhere except Europa in the solar system but it's absolutely a problem for any alien worlds, especially earthlike ones and double especially any that show signs of previous habitation. If a planet is suitable for terrestrial life, then terrestrial life is probably suitable for the planet and its micro-organisms.

Space is horrible and is out to gently caress you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the optimistic answer is that we live in the period of calm after something ate all the aliens and then died of starvation. Just because something destroyed an intergalactic civilization doesn't mean it's still necessarily hanging around at the same potency a bazillion years later. It's equally possible that it grows in response to its prey, if its prey is FTL capable species, then the nature of the species developing FTL and how they go about using it, determines how the encounter goes. We have the advantage of knowing something already hosed up our predecessors, our predecessors themselves might not have until it was too late. Hence the abundance of caution.

Considering it like an epidemic, it might only manifest once a critical mass of FTL travel occurs and once it kills everyone, it dies itself, or perhaps the species in question created some other technology as a result of their co-operation and development which caused the catastrope. It behooves us to figure out what caused the end of their civilization and avoid doing it ourselves.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 14, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Survey the new system, do not attack the Facility

We can backfill the solar system later as necessary but that system with its freaky ring planet needs locking down ASAP. We can spare the same efforts to quarantine the crew of the ships in the event we haven't figured out the nonsense by the time they get back (as I imagine they'll be gone a while)

But, I suggest an experiment.

Jump two of the survey ships in close succession, and the other two at the same time, but with a pause between them and the other ones

That will give us a preliminary reading on the jump phenomena with a) a clean jump from the first ship, b) a jump right after another jump with the second ship, but not on the same ship, and c) a higher tonnage of jumps with the third group.

If we notice weird poo poo with the second jump we can debate on whether we want to risk sending the group together.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Added Space posted:

Go quiet, drift away, call in the fleet

We just built those survey ships, no reason to get the crew killed

On the other hand, we have no context for what we're dealing with and it could well obliterate the entire fleet, especially if it's some sort of defense network that may respond with hostility to armed ships turning up.

Turn on the active sensors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think the survey vessel can detect things near the planet with its actives unless it's close to the planet, active sensors don't have a very long range compared to the size of the system, you need a planetary DSTS for cross-system detection and they are passive only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So we in Discord were chatting about reasons why the hostile aliens encountered at Pluto haven't lit our asses up like a summer bonfire. The reasons we figured are: these xenos can't make wormholes; they're already at war with another intelligence and can't spare any attention for us; they're not actually as hostile to humanity as our initial contact suggested; or they're building up their fleet to turn us all into soylent green (as though such overkill is truly necessary). As a subset to option A, perhaps these aliens can't open a wormhole to Sol system specifically for unknown reasons, though option A and its subset leave open the ability to travel via JP and wreck us.

Aurora does have jump points that can't be detected from the other side until they are activated.

So, uh, if we ever do find the pluto jump point, maybe don't use it.