Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Blah, all these groups rub me the wrong way, but I guess I'll try for Mars because gently caress the IC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Oh, if we're doing that now, dorf me, preferably in some sort of exploratory capacity though, if that's an option.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Crazycryodude posted:

Who in their right mind would look at this wonderful Expanse fanfic and not choose to play as the OPA? The IC's got aliens, the highest potential for Space Communism, the highest potential for leaving the solar system first, and all the sorium under their thumbs.

I mean, c'mon, between Starship Trooper, Maoist China, and The Culture which would you rather tool around the galaxy with

Because it doesn't sound like the Culture it sounds more like a Space Megacorp?

Cimbri fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 31, 2017

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Is there any sensor interference if you're behind any of those larger asteroids in the belt? I doesn't look like it would really matter as they're too far dispersed (as they should be) to really be used for cover, but it's something I'm wondering about.

Anyway to toss in my two cents, I'm no tactical genius or anything, I think we should burn "northeast" at a decent speed to the edge of the exercise area to give some false idea of our current whereabouts, then drop to a lower speed, somewhere around 1/2-1/3 burn and turn "southeast" for a time to gain some distance from Jupiter, continuing until we are a bit outside the edge of the estimated maximum detection range of Tempel 1 for a full burn, at which point we switch to 1/3-1/4 burn and proceed towards Tempel, switching to full burn and active sensors once we either enter our main weapons range or we believe we've been spotted.

A path something like this

and on the "tactical" map

I think it's a good idea to give the IC some sort of false location for our task group, and I also think that this flight path should easily keep us out of sensor range of Jupiter even at 1/2 burn, but as there's some worry about technological gaps we could use 1/3 burn to play it safe, which is probably the better idea anyways unless we have some sort of time constraint. The final approach path where we are moving the slowest also has Tempel moving towards us, letting us close faster while still keeping our signature low. Coming in from this angle also puts the 3rd fleet in a decent position to intercept and/or assist us if needed.

Do be aware I've got no real idea how this game works beyond half a days confused dabbling and the posts in this thread, so feel free to point out any dumb ideas here.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Added Space posted:

Sounds good.

Might want to put our scout vessel on point and drop off the marines before leaving the asteroid belt.

Don't let the giant blue dots fool you, asteroids are grains of sand on this scale and do absolutely nothing to sensors.

Makes sense.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

A problem I see arising here is that they might decide to burn the listening post if we give them too much warning. Now, since we'll hopefully be in weapons range by the time they know we're around, we might be able to intimidate the ships into backing off before then, but I don't know how long it would take for the skeleton crew (if there is one) on board the listening post to delete everything/tear the place down.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Saros posted:

I wouldnt worry about giving them too much warning, the listening post will involve a lot of large arrays and very expensive imaging equipment with a maximum of automation. Not the sort of thing to have rigged to explode at any moment.

Ah, alright then.

With that being said, I think the plan of "Give them fair warning, if they don't leave immediately blow them to hell." sounds good.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Alright, let's try and hammer out some options then and just get this to a vote, that's usually the simplest way to figure this out

We seem to have a consensus when it comes to our scout, we will use the Windhund as a forward observer, moving ahead of the rest of the battlegroup. We also seem to agree that we'll be calling on the 3rd Fleet as soon as we get any incoming warship signals from Jupiter. As for the rest.

When it comes to the rest of the fleet will we:

A. Approach as a single group so as to have all our firepower in one place should we be detected early.
B. Approach in a staggered formation, the smallest vessels shadowing the Windhund while the larger ships bring up the rear. But keep the larger vessels in one group so as to bring our full firepower to bear on any opposition.
C. Identical to B but we keep the Aygre further back and at low speed so as to have some reserve to pull on should reinforcements reach us before the 3rd Fleet can support us.
or
D. Insert whatever adjustments to the prior options popped into your head after looking through this, here.
When it comes to our approach phase, after passing through the exercise area will we:

A. Use my dog-legged approach to gain some distance from Jupiter before we make the final approach. Relying on our distance during the second phase to keep our risk of detection low and give us some breathing room should we be detected.
B. Use Fray's "Forthright" approach, counting on the low speed to keep our risks of detection low, and the relatively nearby position of the 3rd Fleet to allow us to continue to our operation should we be detected.
or
C. Insert whatever adjustments to the prior options popped into your head after looking through this, here.

In addition should we:

A. Keep all our ships at no higher than 3/4 burn speed (or something around there) to hide our maximum capabilities from the IC
or
B. Use our maximum burn speed when appropriate.

We also seem to be agreeing that we should pull no punches should they fail to quit the field, and that we shouldn't make any attempt at communication at all until we are within weapons range but:

A. Should we demand the surrender of the defense fleet once we enter our weapons range, if they have detected us, only opening fire once they respond in the negative and/or or open fire on our fleet.
B. Should we immediately attempt to destroy the defense fleet once we enter weapons range. Demands for surrender only being sent after the initial surprise salvo.
or
C. Insert whatever adjustments to the prior options popped into your head after looking through this, here.

Feel free to say something if I've misjudged the feelings here and/or I missed something obvious.

As for our sensors it seems that we're pretty well decided that we'll be kicking them into active once we are within range of the enemy fleet/installation, which will put us on the radar for everyone in the solar system. Do we have any misgivings about that? Also how many of our ships will be activating those sensors? Just one? A couple? Everyone who can? I doubt we have to worry too greatly about losing sensor lock for weapons if we should, by some diablous ex machina, lose our main sensor boat, but it could be an issue.

I also think that Pharnakes outline is a pretty good outline of what we should do if any enemy reinforcements arrive at the very least.

Cimbri fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 2, 2017

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Drone posted:

Agreed.

I would also add the caveat that upon verification that it is indeed a listening post/military station/other undesirable presence, that we play the good guy and first demand their immediate and peaceful evacuation of the base. And when we refuse, then we blow them up. If they don't refuse, they evacuate and we occupy the base and begin dismantling it for evidence.

This is a good idea, if there is even a crew or facilities for them to evacuate, but it should be stated that we have marines who will be capturing the base, we won't be destroying anything other than surface to space weaponry if we can help it.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

1) Outer System
2) Special Branch

While my first instinct is to drag our mayhem out of the way of the populated areas, I guess we also could just double down on the mayhem. Also I signed up in an exploratory capacity and I'll be damned if that "paper of the century" doesn't get me there somehow.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

I mean I might as well get some warcrimes in before I get sent off to who knows where to die horribly when we run into the hostile aliens. Stick me in whatever is least likely to explode upon contact with the enemy that's left.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

I guess I'll throw in for Helping them out

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Cathode Raymond posted:

FTFY

If there are no objections, I think I should represent the Martian fleet as my predilection for defecting to nearly any alien species proves that I'm not xenophobic.
You can lead the diplomatic team, I've got dibs on captaining the ship we send, at least so long as it's going out of system.

@Facility
You mentioned you had defensive systems and combat units in storage, there are two other factions in this system that are hostile to us, would you be willing to use those defensive systems to keep our representatives at this facility from harm should it come under assault by their forces.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

HiHo ChiRho posted:

1. Viva la revolución!
2. Topple the Corporates!

Not empty quoting.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Affi posted:

It's really not, special branch are good peoples but senator warcrimes is not our boss. We all decided not to deal with the triumvir and they went behind our backs.

I say loving lock them, board them and jail that senator. They're the criminals in this scenario.

Are we in charge of Special Branch? Because if not and if they cut their own deal with the man that's absolutely within their power to do, and boarding them for it would make us the criminals.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

I think Terra is only playing "nice" because of the Sorium, if they actually got in a war with us at this point, even with whatever stockpile they have built up, I think they'd run dry before they could complete it. While I recognize that we can't get out of some part of the deal that gives them the ability to maintain that stockpile, anything else we put on the table we should be nearly immobile on. We know that the second they find that extra-solar base of fuel, war will be brewing, so giving them any further help just doesn't seem wise to me.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Telsa Cola posted:

Its generally never a wise idea to expand to bodies super loving far away because its logistically easier and less resource intensive to just find another system where you wont have to spend years and poo poo tons of fuel shuttling back and forth between distant points.

What about when you account for in system jump points?

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Telsa Cola posted:

At super long distances its very rare for them to occur. I think I have seen it happen once in like 10 games with like 1000 systems explored in total. Though you might have had better luck. The in system jump points almost always connect to a point in the same solar system, as in a point around the same star as the other point.

Only had it happen once but in one of only a few systems in my short time with the game, didn't realize it was that rare, good to know.

There's clearly a catch to B but it still seems the better choice.

Cimbri fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 11, 2017

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Well, I'm suddenly glad I lost my dibs on the first Exploration vessel. Although you can count me amongst the "Suicidal Volunteers/Transfers for the Jump Corps" still.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Voting for Plan Mikl or plan From Mother Mars because opening fire on any alien nation we come across without exhausting other options is stupidly aggressive.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

HereticMIND posted:

Go in fast and loud, boys! Hit those fuckers with EVERYTHING you’ve got! We are not monsters. Tell those BB captains to put the pedal to the floor or they’ll miss the party! (YES SEND DREADS)

Give ‘em the ol’ one-two! If we hit them with staggered fire, we have a better chance of nailing them with follow-up hits. DDs and CAs first, followed by our BBs for the big finish! (YES SPLIT FLEET)

And surprisingly the “muh plus/minus fanatics” crowd is actually acting like decent people this go around! Would’ve thought they’d let the UT colony burn because, again, “muh plus/minus fanatics” and a little bit of “gas the Terrans space war now”.

Makes me almost proud being a Martian. Almost.

Not empty quoting.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Well, uh, I guess that was to be expected. But drat. At least that seems to have been the entire payload?

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

A: Dominion of Sol

B: Project Eden

Preferably both.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

I've really got to wonder what'll replace the "Red Planet" bit once we've terraformed the place, for those people who keep playing up the Soviet angle.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Deploy

New Fleet

Now we get to see how it all falls.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Bremen posted:

Yeah, honestly this is why I pretty much flee the thread during the politics parts and just join in for the combat and strategic portions.

Show up, vote, get out, that's my way.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

I don't suppose there's much chance of it but I really think we should be offering anybody willing to surrender their ships a job and a home on Mars.

I agree with this.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Dr. Snark posted:

I dunno, there's a very revolution-y feel of "we purged all of the higher officers, so now we need anyone we can get to fill in the empty spaces" kinda vibe to the officers that I think really fits the spirit of Mars. The rebellion of the young seeking to break away from the old and dying Earth.

That seems unlikely considering almost none of them would have even been born when Mars declared independence if it's in Earth years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Radio Free Kobold posted:

If we cannot give Facility a hug then by god we will design something that can.
This