Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Survey Sol first
I want to know what is in our backyard first.

Do NOT break into the sealed zones of Pluto facility.
Or: Do NOT piss off the advanced AI :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Go active, but before doing so leave some kind of beacon at the jump point with all data found so far, including the movement.

Leaving behind message so other scout ships don't do the same dumb thing seems like exploring space 101 :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
As far as the Facility is concerned, lead with B, but be willing to go to C. Tell it that we have a deal with Terrans saying that outer Sol is under our purview to convince it.

gently caress the Terrans though. They wanted to keep us from this system with the treaty, now they have to suck it. Maybe let them have (limited) scientific access, but ask for large concession out of it.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
This means war

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Do not appease Putin.

Sheesh people, haven't you learned anything from history?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
^ ^ ^ ^
Yeah, that needs to be cleared up. Also what happens if two jump points lead to the same system?

Also I am not sure about this. On one hand, the treaty is still un-even and not in our advantage. On the other, I don't want to help push the thread into a MAD game over. :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
1C, but 2A if it fails.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yes

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Pharnakes posted:

I feel enough people are voting conditional yes even though Saros asked for straight yes or no that we need a bit more information from facility and to re do the vote. There is a huge difference between facility the one and only jumping and a more or less disposable off shoot jumping.

I assume that our characters in-universe are competent enough that we don't have to micromanage them. :shrug:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
gently caress it, throw down the gauntlet and build baby, build!

We should build as many gates as we can, as quickly as we can! :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
War LATER

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The Pit, because who needs missiles when you have spinal mounts :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Dont shoot first ffs

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Nevets posted:

The aliens might be friendly, they said. Charging at us full speed without talking could be their way of saying hello they said. Even if they're hostile, there's no way a 1000 ton ship could have weapons that could penetrate our armor, they said.

Even if they have the first shot we can take them, we said.

We were drat right. :colbert:

Xarn fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 13, 2017

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Mikl posted:

And of course I'm proven wrong right away :cripes:

Yes, as soon as the damaged ships transit back into Rangi from the Pit, since that's what defines practical and it'll be difficult to keep such major repairs a secret.

But unfortunately all the ships that attacked us were vaporized in retailation, so we can't provide any intelligence regarding who these aliens are, what they look like and their capabilities.

Very much this.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Well, we already have a ship that is carrying message home, so we should group everything up and kill Shiva

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Now its time to keep what we kill and salvage the poo poo out of the Shiva :black101:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Cathode Raymond posted:

I think having to fight outside the nebula using missiles and shields is a bad idea because they might have crazy missiles and shields.

Very much this. The assumption that the tech and design difference is more in our favour outside of nebula seems a bit unfounded... We can be fairly sure that The Pit isn't their home system, so maybe they aren't really nebula specialized, but rather they just out-tech us. This would also explain why the reinforcement have been piecemeal and scarce: most of their poo poo is missiles and they just send their nebula-capable designs.

In light of this, I say hold in the Pit, but retreat to our JP until we have reinforcements.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am just waiting for us to find out that the non-firing ship is their box launcher with missiles 3+ tech levels ahead, because they also know that missiles are the best. :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yes and Yes, but get the Terrans picket forces as meat shields for our forward elements

Also we should make everyone who said we will be at an advantage with missiles in play into ablative armor :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Friend Commuter posted:

You want to put the nuclear terrorists where they could gently caress around with archaeotech? Really?

Who said they will make it there? Maybe Earth Firsters also somehow smuggle a nuclear warhead aboard :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Project Eden/Forges of Mars -- combine this with telling mars firsters that if they denounce their association and give us dirt on other members, they get first dibs on being terraforming crews. They are fanatics, so if their cause is making Mars green, let them have at it. No further terrorist acts tho.

Plan Crabs First - UT later/OPERATION BIVALVE/Bury the Hatchet/SETI/Humanity First

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

:drat:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
idgi

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Ah. I am not an american so I know of Jonestown but basically not details.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I think that the Dominion plan is dumb, but sheesh people we don't abandon plans at the first sign of trouble. :colbert:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

quote:

if we want to act like bloodthirsty warhawks who love explosions we should deploy.
Deploy the newfleet

drat too late.

Rush to Ceres, then deal with the reinforcements. Given the relative distances and speeds, we can easily do both.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 16, 2018

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Choice 1: Straight to Ceres
Choice 2: No Half Measures

Also I am just imagining Martian shrugging at the propaganda broadcast, because they couldn't understand a drat word. :v:

Xarn fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 17, 2018

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yes
Yes
No

Lets draw the crabs to Earthers, so we can say that in the end, we did rule Sol (for about a day :suicide:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Dance Officer posted:

So, at several hundred tons and a speed of approximately 0.2c, what sort of energies are we looking at? How big of an impact are we talking about? Enough to blow a sizable hole into the moon? Is it comparable to an extenction-level event?

We are looking at :rip: level events. Relativistic velocities lead to absolutely insane amounts of kinetic energy.

fake edit:
quick back of the envelope math says that at 200 tons it is equivalent to more than 100 gigatons tnt.