Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Finally caught up, looking forward to an excellent game. Please Space Dorf Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Are you simulating global warming in any way by changing the planet temperature and requiring infrastructure on Earth?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ask for the location of two "insurance" nukes in areas we already control as a sign of good faith.

I'm off the opinion that we should offer him the chance to live out a quiet, modest life rather than return to the IC.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Unconditional Surrender it is, then.

Provide assurances that he'll get to live, under permanent house arrest, in a relatively modest apartment.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Crazycryodude posted:

Let's skip the intermediate 10 year search and just check Space Pakistan at the start.

Aren't we space Pakistan?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Saros posted:

Mars does not negotiate with terrorists!

Unconditional surrender surges late to win 22 to 12.

:getin:

Well, we do negotiate with terrorists, but only in good faith.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Edit: I'm assuming that the SB ship transmitted "donkey balls" on the way out. Please don't start interservice infighting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

On the subject of nuking Jupiter, did we fire all of our SSBMs or just one round?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Holy poo poo, that came down to the last ship didn't it

On the plus side we've got some DELIGHTFUL salvage opportunities.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Friend Commuter posted:

Y'know, this big old pile of hulks would make a pretty good foundation for the Titanian Free Navy, especially since they've got an ex-IC shipyard.

Martian blood purchased those ships, we've been far better already than we need to be.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

sebmojo posted:

I like the black of space in there, but maybe just the top red quadrant?

uh oh accidentally didn't have Titan in the comforting scarlet embrace of the Children of Mars

This is fantastic.

Serpentis posted:

Yeah, as much as I dug for the GM-space-hulk, this is the smarter thing to do. Equally though, maybe we need to give them to the TFS right now and ask for a "repair team" to do the scanning and copying later to prevent the UN from nicking the wrecks for themselves as part of the 'peace-keeping clean up' or such bollocks. They'd have a much harder go publicly and politically of taking them from the TFS, an aggrieved fledging state, than big ol' bad military republic on the warpath Mars.

I'm getting flashbacks to the "Propaganda war" in BGreman's Aurora LP. This is the same Putin who, in our actual timeline, right now, has annexed Crimea outright as a fait accompli and has embroiled the eastern half of the Ukraine in a Totally Not Russian Backed insurrection. If they just take the ships, or Titan for that matter, who's going to stop them? Outside of guaranteeing Titan's freedom by means of our SSBMs on Mars aimed at Earth there's nothing that would prevent it if they wished. Earth's entire behaviour around Titan is dictated by how much we're willing to end life in the solar system over what they do, and they've found an escape hatch already.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I hate to interrupt all this flag talk and strategizing, but when I look at some of these examples all I can see is:

I spend too much time in GBS...

That smilie will never stop making excellent anything that it touches

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Friend Commuter posted:

You're welcome, thread.

This is magnificent.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sure, but think about what happens if we can repair the Terror Drome and use it for Mars!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Nevets posted:

I doubt Terra offered us exclusive access to this JP without looking at least once, but I'll bet they only glanced long enough to notice the lack of gas giants and the most habitable planet was only slight more hospitable than Mars.

I'm skeptical of that suggestion too. It didn't take us THAT long to find the ruins. They either have an even bigger find and just want to throw us this bone because we don't know better, or they effectively wrote this off as a defensible location and haven't bothered with scouting it and haven't found any future points yet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

While I'm happy to lead our suicide squad of space explores, I WOULD appreciate if my name were spelled right.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

xthetenth posted:

I think that the jump corps should be quarantined from the paranoia brainstorming sessions.

Agreed, can we get on with the game without everyone posting"here's MY suggestion on how to prevent the possibility that maybe cognitohazards from beyond can destroy humanity"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Split the survey effort; 1 to grav survey sol, 3 to new system

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dude the brain worms are crunchy, just chew your food more than normal to make sure you don't miss anything.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

sebmojo posted:

Saros is on holiday until October, he asked us to geek out a bunch of ship designs.

I really do wish it could just be confined to discord, or to another thread, because I hate having to click this thread on the off chance that something useful has happened. Nope, it's just the MCRN Slightly Different again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Whatever gets ship chat over with

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It spells out "penis" but in Space Horror language.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

TheWetFish posted:

Most insane scenario; what is hiding under Eastern Europe? :cthulhu:

Sounds Strangely Familiar

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Crazycryodude posted:

The Earth crews have also been through far more jumps than the Martian crews. Our dudes take longer to recover after each jump, Earth's dudes will only have it worse with their buggier tech and more jumps.

This, definitely. I'm betting that Mars putting strict limits on jump rotations right away had an effect in not letting this happen to us.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Crazycryodude posted:

Earth's biosphere is already teetering on the edge of collapse, this might be the shock that puts it over the edge. Not the explosions themselves, they're pretty miniscule when compared to a planet, but the impending refugee crisis will lead to poo poo like clear-cutting the Amazon to put up apartment blocks and plant farms to replace all the ones in Ukraine that just got irradiated. We might very well need to come in with our terraformers and seed banks or whatever to help prop it up.

What a strange coincidence, Terra relatively recently discovered a liveable new world. I'm sure that there will be a number of volunteers.

Gridlocked posted:

Anyone else get the Metro reference?

Yep

So, mechanically, what is the event of nuclear fallout in Aurora? Does previously 100% compatible Terra now need infrastructure in a vast scale, disproportionate to the effects? Does the fallout dissipate? Can we "loan" a terraformer to Earth?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Crazycryodude posted:

In Aurora, nukes hitting a planet kick up two things - dust, and radiation. Radiation reduces population growth and increases unrest, which reduces production. Dust increases the planetary albedo, and enough of it can cool the planet down so much that environmental problems can start occuring. You can build enhanced radiation warheads that do less damage to other ships/ground facilities but pump quadruple radiation onto the planet they hit, but I doubt Earth had those just sitting on a random DDG. Enough radiation can paralyze a planet's economy and start killing the population off, it's a good way to shut down large planets without having to kill everyone (or do kill everyone with neutron bombs while leaving the factories and such mostly intact for you to steal). Enough dust getting kicked up can do things like lower the average planetary temperature enough that the oceans freeze, increasing the albedo even more, making the temperature drop even more, and now you've got a runaway ice-age freezing everyone to death if there's no infrastructure for them to shelter in. But Earth only took 12 nukes, and small ones at that, so I doubt they'll see anything so drastic. You'd need a much heavier bombardment to kill the planet.

The TL;DR is that radiation hurts people and the economy, while dust represents things like nuclear winter. 12 small nukes isn't gonna kick up enough dust to cause major environmental effects, but the radiation at least is gonna give Earth unrest problems. Both will settle out over time, and there's not much we can do to speed that up mechanically. I'm more worried about the fluff effects on an already stressed Earth, not something modeled in the engine.

Nice explanation, thanks. Does the albedo eventually return to normal?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sell them the surplus, either for cash or something else. We're not running a charity and can use the materials even if we don't want the equipment.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Putin's daughter confirmed as pawn of elder gods?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

HiKaizer posted:

We need data instead of hypothesis and paranoia.

You may be in the wrong thread.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Facility is going to be eaten by the star monster :ohdear:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

The bit about this incident from the Facility's point of view indicated that what tried to come through was a corrupted member of its... type? So it's possible what we're seeing here is a non-corrupted version, and that's why facility is so excited.

More distressing to me is the possibility that this thing is some kind of trap for starships, like a big pitcher plant.

That, along with the sudden compulsion for facility to go into it seems plausible.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Magnificent.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Goons literally do not know how to leave well enough alone

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

And we are trying to piss into the well yes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

habituallyred posted:

Taking bets on how long it takes before UT starts using this as their personal dissident dumping ground. Or a repository for officials that have disappointed the regime. On second thought, this LP is not a prequel to Logan's Run.

There are cheaper ways to irretrievably dispose of someone.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Nevets posted:

Totally serious, actually. You could lock the average goon in a closet with a starving honey badger and an investment banker and he'd try to form an alliance with the animal.

At least the honey badger can be satisfied

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You're all taking a weird interpretation of practicable. It means "tell command when you have the chance to to report in without compromising your situation, they'll inform earth" rather than "split off a ship to jump back even if it would cripple your fighting capability". It's supposed to allow leeway so as to prevent slavish adherence from causing harm. It doesn't mean "whenever you feel like it up to and including never".

Yes inform earth through appropriate channels once our ships report in.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Does Aurora let us (the player) know whether these ships are civilian or military? Or is that a SM decision?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hail the Shiva, discuss the merits of Full Communism Now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

For squadron jumps, how is the number of additional ships determined? Is it a count, or tonnage limit?