Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's almost like there are different people with different points of view communicating about those perspectives on a forum, and attempting to assign all those conflicting stances to a collective consensus would be a strawman of the highest order

They're pretty dumb complaints even taken separately though

like, you have the option of just not buying it, I probably won't, but the wailing and gnashing of teeth over its very existence as though you can't conceive of why someone would want it seems pretty odd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
where is this supposed wailing and gnashing of teeth though?

pretty civil discourse as far as Nintendo announcements go if you ask me

*this post has been approved by the Nintendo Seal of Quality*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

raditts posted:

like, you have the option of just not buying it, I probably won't, but the wailing and gnashing of teeth over its very existence as though you can't conceive of why someone would want it seems pretty odd

Yes that would indeed be pretty odd. Please notify us immediately if you spot anyone acting like that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Healbot posted:

I'm not seeing Bowser, Donkey Kong, Pauline or Daisy in this set, what a crock of poo poo.

because they're all illiterate, so they have no place working with letters

bowser being unable to read is canon

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

raditts posted:

So if I'm understanding this response to the SNES classic correctly:

- it's dumb because it's got a bunch of old games you've played before and could be easily pirated
- it's also dumb because at 21 games, it doesn't have enough of the old games you've played before and could easily pirate, or doesn't have all the games you specifically want
- and this is coming from a forum full of people that regularly and proudly buy a game multiple times, at full price, to have it on whatever console you're currently playing the most

kinda sounds like some serious "the food is terrible, and the portions are too small" type poo poo

I like how you conveniently left out the facts that it's a thing that will pretty much only be sold for like 3 months and will be extremely hard to acquire,

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's the news of the day and people are chatting about it before we return to posting Heart's Medicine screenshots

SNES Classic Chat:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

DLC Inc posted:

I like how you conveniently left out the facts that it's a thing that will pretty much only be sold for like 3 months and will be extremely hard to acquire,

which is really probably the only reason this thing is getting negative reactions from people who do actually want one (aka people who don't care for romz and emulators)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

That shouldn't be an issue, though, if it's not something you wanted in the first place

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

raditts posted:

That shouldn't be an issue, though, if it's not something you wanted in the first place

"If it doesn't affect me, it's not a problem"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

FY,DWM

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FY,DWM

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Once again, it's almost like it's different people posting those two ideas :wth:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

maybe the entire point is that other peoples' hypothetical inability to get the snes classic, which is not yet available for sale, isn't a serious problem at all

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The cables being two feet longer than the NES Classic's is great, though. Sure they're not wireless, but eh.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

glam rock hamhock posted:

Once again, it's almost like it's different people posting those two ideas :wth:

Wait so you mean that one person can dislike something for a reason, and then another person can dislike it for a different reason???

*Monocle pops off comically and rattles on floor*

*is radditts*

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

wizard on a water slide posted:

maybe the entire point is that other peoples' hypothetical inability to get the snes classic, which is not yet available for sale, isn't a serious problem at all

Oh, you're right. Good thing Nintendo has no history of doing this before, several times, and they haven't said that this will also be a limited run

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

that's literally something someone else posted at me though? I never said it being hard to come by wasn't a legitimate concern? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

that's literally something someone else posted at me though? I never said it being hard to come by wasn't a legitimate concern? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here

From the context of your response you seemed to be brushing off the complaint rather than saying it had any legitimacy, while also doing so in a way that went against the idea that the complaints were stupid on their own :shrug:

Anyways, It's not like this won't work out well for Nintendo and it's not like the people here can't easily get their fix elsewhere. Artificial scarcity has worked well for Nintendo and they aren't likely to stop anytime soon because of that. For me this is the type of thing I might buy on impulse sometime but the way they handle this makes that sort of thing impossible. It's a neat little thing with some cool games but not neat enough for me to ever put any real effort into getting one.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

I tried to find the panel from the old super mario comics where Peach kisses Luigi but instead I found a million billion deviantart comics about luigi dating princesses.

let me see if i can find it.

computer, search "Luigi Princess Kiss"

🤖 🤖 🤖

🤖 🤖 🤖

computer !! delete!! remove !!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i do not regret the zero dollars i paid for a wii u

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Walugi's pelvis has been crushed between her legs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

why wont you eat the loving barrel trico

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You don't love him enough

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i gave him some pats to show him i love him

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

a pet is a responsibility

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's only one language pets understand...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Clip art?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

why did team ico give trico a butthole, i dont want to see trico's butthole

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

There are games composed entirely of infographics, somebody needs to make a clip art game next.

corn in the bible posted:

Well where else is trico's poop supposed to come out of?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

pets show you their butt holes all the time, it's just another part of the game's simulationist quality

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Where's mischief makers

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Snak posted:

I recently picked up Darkest Dungeon again, and they've done a bunch of updates since launch. For one, there are difficulty modes now. I don't think there's any shame in starting on the lower difficulty to get more a feel for how things work.

I got back into it because I bounced of FTL (which I had also played before) really hard. I want to love FTL. It's extemely my poo poo and I love most of the game. My problem with it is pretty fundamental though: In a game where a short stretch of bad luck at any time can be a game over, the gameplay should be quick. FTL's real-time combat mechanic makes it easy to end up in fights where nothing is happening except ever 11-15 seconds you shoot at the other ship and they shoot at you. You both have shields and you both have like 30% dodge. And whether you win or lose this fight, it's long and boring and tedious as hell. And so many factors of the game are luck, that it's easy to just get behind the economy curve and be hosed. The failure state of a run feels long and tedious and completely out of your control. Fun when you have some good luck, but not fun when you have some bad luck.

When I bounced of FTL, I still had a roguelike hankering, so I picked up Binding of Isaac: Rebirth again. I had also played it before, and it's a neat concept, but I don't really like it either. For a different, but similar reason than with FTL. I find the gameply of Isaac to be boring 80% of the time. Most of the rooms are straightforward and not that engaging to play. Then you get to a really challenging room, and it's fun, but whether you win or die, you're back to boring rooms. Now, it still plays very fast, so that gives it a plus of FTL, but I'm terrible at the game and I don't really care for the projectile physics which make it really hard to play the way I would play a twin stick shooter.

So, recognizing that half of my beef with Isaac was the controls, I remember Neon Chrome, which is actually a twin-stick shooter, and has a cyberpunk theme rather than a poopy baby theme. (don't get me wrong, Isaac is cool, it's just doesn't really work for me). Neon Chrome is perfect for me. I'm not great at it, but I don't have problems with the controls and it's never boring. Sometimes I run through a level like John Wick, and sometimes I die almost immediately.

Darkest Dungeon has similar RNG "issues" as FTL, but it doesn't have the same "forced passivity" that disliked about FTL. In Darkest Dungeon, rather than waiting for your laser to fire every 11 seconds hoping that it magically disables the enemies weapons before you die, you are constantly scraping and clawing for every shred of health and damage. It's much more engaged.

And furthermore, both Darkest Dungeon and Neon Chrome have a system of persistent upgrades, which means that if you wipe on a run, you aren't actually back to square one like you just installed the game. FTL and Isaac both have unlock-able characters, which is similar, but not the same.

So yeah, maybe I'm not cutout for "real" roguelikes, but I've found that these types of differences in "game feel" or "gameplay experience" really make a big difference for me.

There are people who can beat ftl on hard basically every single time. Some people can even beat hard regularly without pausing. There are lots of ways to mitigate bad RNG on FTL if you know what you are doing

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Played the first 3 levels of Wolenstein New Order tonight. A fun rear end video game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Macarius Wrench posted:

Played the first 3 levels of Wolenstein New Order tonight. A fun rear end video game

i absolutely hated the first level when i picked it up and had to commit to seeing what was good about it and then it became amazing after the time skip

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

this but okami

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I have New Order and Old Blood, should I play Old Blood first? I know it's DLC but I've read it's a prequel and not as good as the base game, so I figure if I play it first I won't be disappointed by it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

wizard on a water slide posted:

pets show you their butt holes all the time, it's just another part of the game's simulationist quality

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

babypolis posted:

There are people who can beat ftl on hard basically every single time. Some people can even beat hard regularly without pausing. There are lots of ways to mitigate bad RNG on FTL if you know what you are doing

i know what you mean, it's more higher-level mastery of specific systems, right? part of me always feels a little "wait it doesn't feel that way for me" when i see complaints about its randomness. in many games, i've only come across a situation where i didn't get offered at least one of the tools i need to finish the game (or at least get to the final sector) a few times. and if you get the crystal species event, that's like the instant win button :v:

at the same time, i understand the sentiment because i still remember what it felt like to be fairly confused at the game when i first played it. i wouldn't have stuck to it as well as i did without a lot of help from my friend who'd played it before.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

I have New Order and Old Blood, should I play Old Blood first? I know it's DLC but I've read it's a prequel and not as good as the base game, so I figure if I play it first I won't be disappointed by it.

no. play oldblood if you want more wolfenstein after beating the good game.

first off, theres no reason to feel like you need to have mastered the wolfenstein corpus. feel free to skip things, bj will still be killing nazis when you get back.

second, the main game builds your expectations for stuff with excellent pacing. if you start playing the game knowing what a huge complicated level full of guys is like when hunting commanders to stealth kill, you'll ruin the beginning of the game when its trying to teach you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

A Nintenbot's head just can't process that people aren't excited by a re-release of 20+ year old games they've already played to death so they assume it must be the price that has all these cheapskates riled up.

lol Nintenbot

• Locked thread