Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
"Everyone ready for the orgy?"

"Nah I think we're gonna just play some 8-player Smash Bros. instead. It's pretty much the same thing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Finally Racist Mario's reign of terror will come to an end:

quote:

We’ve heard loud and clear from the creator community and from advertisers that YouTube needs to broaden our advertiser-friendly guidelines around a few additional types of content. We’ve responded by adding new guidelines to take a tougher stance on:

-Inappropriate use of family entertainment characters: Content that depicts family entertainment characters engaged in violent, sexual, vile, or otherwise inappropriate behavior, even if done for comedic or satirical purposes.

Or I guess this is more about those "Elsa and Spider-Man make a baby while Goofy with a gigantic rear end watches" videos that kids just marathon on YouTube now a days.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Vile behavior" is kind of a broad phrase, isn't it

I'm interested in seeing how the kids of today, or rather the literal babies too young for preschool who are growing up watching these videos all day are gonna look back on this era when they get older. Like they'll start getting interested in previous Mickey Mouse cartoons and can't seem to find the ones from when they were infants. The ones where Mickey is married to Minnie and their child is kidnapped by a Joker Mickey Mouse who attempts to stick a needle in the baby but gets killed instead. Or the one where the baby gets his head caught in an elevator.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Final bosses...fighting games...

Fighting game final bosses are good, sometimes? They can't be cheaters first of all, that's like rule number one in making a good fighting game final boss.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I know we joke a lot about Randy Pitchford but I am worried he is legit going to have a heart attack replying to every single person on Twitter who says BB is going F2P instead of it being an "Unlimited Free Trial".

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Some of these character designs do deserve a better game to be in honestly.

Give that Mushroom some sort of third-person action platformer to gallivant around in.

Edit: Actually wasn't there a game released like a decade ago starring tall and lanky mushrooms?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Yeah that was the one I was thinking of thanks.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Do companies that use mock reviews ever get really negative ones back? They say in the article all the ones they got for Andromeda were glowing which is odd there wasn't a single detractor, unless they all made their reviews under the perception that any glaring problems/bugs/flaws would be fixed in the final version still in development.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Jay Rust posted:

Gat is definitely #3 in my Top Video Game Characters of All Time, right behind Fred Durst from WWF Raw (2002) and the robot from Borderlands

Oddly enough those are the three characters I had always assumed were shoo-ins for Playstation All-Stars DLC if the game had continued onward.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

FGTV once filmed their dog being put down at the vet as if it was a console unboxing video or grocery haul

What's going to happen once their kids start growing older and the possibility that they might not want to star in videos anymore hits?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Help Im Alive posted:

I've been playing a lot of the Wipeout collection this week and it's really good but man it makes me appreciate all the goofy characters in F-Zero. The gameplay is great/I'm having a lot of fun but it feels kind of soulless

i miss my boys beastman/the skull

Wipeout does have from what I remember some good world building the companies that sponsor the racing machines/builds them?

In comparison to F-Zero where we only have the supposedly nefarious EAD development group.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
What's the creator of one of the most popular games in the free world to this day doing this E3?

https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/874107686643679233

Oh.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Sakurazuka posted:

They showed BG&E 2, it's a prequel and everyone swears a lot now

This is the secret ingredient the last season of Samurai Jack forgot to include in its gritty revival.

Dropping gratuitous f-bombs everywhere.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It turns out people were right about one thing.

Johnathan McIntosh hates video-games.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/874383618423914496
https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/874386590763671552
https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/874387208274198528

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

corn in the bible posted:

samus visits anthrocon

Species-wise Samus actually identifies as a bird person.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Sunning posted:

Jeff Spangenberg was the founder of Iguana Entertainment (Turok, South Park, etc), and had a very close relationship with Nintendo. When he was fired from Acclaim (who acquired Iguana), he worked with Nintendo to continue the same relationship they had with the Nintendo 64 through Retro Studios. However, Retro was heavily mismanaged with a revolving door of employees. Nintendo acquired Retro to save their investment.

I remember seeing a review for The Guy Game. It got like a 8 or 9 out of 10 and I was like how the hell.

Then I saw that it was a review by Tommy Tallarico.

And that's when I first learned about collusion

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

No Lorenzo no Go.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Oh poo poo a rare spawn just popped up guys!

It's that guy who used to own Odie but now he's locked up in the basement.

I don't remember his name was it Lyle?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
B-17...bomber?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Phantasium posted:

If people were somehow mistakenly thinking that Konami was going to turn itself around, here's an article for you.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/The-Konami-exodus

quote:

A staffing agency employee who asked not to be named said he notifies gaming companies if a prospective hire is an ex-Kon. He said that is because Konami files complaints to gaming companies who take on its former employees.

One major gaming company went so far as to warn its staff against hiring ex-Kon. There was even a case in which a former Konami employee moved to a construction company before joining another gaming company, hoping to throw people off the scent.

One ex-Kon described his surprise at learning that Konami had instructed an employee at a television company not to deal with its former employees. In another case, a former Konami executive was forced to close his business due to pressure from the gaming giant.

Ex-Kons are not allowed to put their Konami experience on their public resumes. "If you leave the company, you cannot rely on Konami's name to land a job," explained a former employee. If an ex-Kon is interviewed by the media, the company will send that person a letter through a legal representative, in some cases indicating that Konami is willing to take them to court.

"I had to give up my life in Japan and become a fisherman in the cold reaches of Alaska. Konami would never find me there."

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

DLC Inc posted:

I'm actually shocked Nintendo managed to keep the Metroids under close secrecy.

When dealing with Japan, always assume that "No" can mean either "No" or "Yes, but I'm saying no for a specific reason" and vice versa with "Yes" answers.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Sakurazuka posted:

No one ever says no in Japan, just very specific ways of saying yes that means no.

I'm just thinking about all the times in the past half decade or so people have been asking Nintendo developers (not just their PR people but the actual game devs) about remakes and things and they could usually be coy, but a lot of the time would say no, not right now, or "Please tell the audience I laughed at the question." Which wasn't meant to be a rude laugh so much as it was a wry laugh I guess? IIRC it was from Aonuma when an interviewer asked him in 2014 if they would ever see a remake of Majora. Of course by that time Grezzo had already been working on the 3DS Majora for a while, so he knew.

Just like he knew (probably?) knew about the 2D Metroid in development when they sprung that question on him a few months ago.

Even though he's got nothing to do with Metroid really so it was a weird thing to ask him in the first place.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Take-Two* sure was timely about this:

quote:

We feared that this day would come... And now it's here.
The day, when GTA modding was declared illegal.

GTA modding had long and glorious history.
Since GTA III, people have created lots of different mods: from simple texture replacements to impressive full conversions.

And the modding always was a "gray zone" -- a battlefield between lawyers and PR...

For almost ten years of OpenIV development, we had tried to play as nice as possible and even more:

Strictly following of Civil Code of Russia (only reverse engineering for interoperability).
Only clean-room reverse engineering.
No distribution of original data and code.
And absolutely no messing with Online...

On June 5th, 2017, we had received an official Cease-and-Desist letter.
It clearly says, that with OpenIV we "allow third parties to defeat security features of its software and modify that software in violation Take-Two's rights".
Yes, this letter is illiterate both technically and grammatically (really, they don't even bothered with proof-reading the text).
Yes, we can go to court and yet again prove that modding is fair use and our actions are legal.
Yes, we could. But we decided not to.

Going to court will take at least few months of our time and huge amount of efforts, and, at best, we'll get absolutely nothing.
Spending time just to restore status quo is really unproductive, and all the money in the world can't compensate the loss of time.

So, we decided to agree with their claims and we're stopping distribution of OpenIV.

It was a hard decision, but when any modding activity has been declared illegal, we can't see any possibilities to continue this process,
unless top management of Take-Two company makes an official statement about modding, which can be used in court.

*Assuming this actually was an official letter from Take-Two.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Someone make a mod for Bully that's advertised to the gaming news sites as a fully fledged sequel so Take-Two is forced make Rockstar start work on Kevin's Back, Jack.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This is why EGM created a group account alias for everyone to report rumors on.

Even back then things would get reported on that came from a source of truth, but the end result was usually something vastly different from what they first heard.

We did finally get a game featuring a grown-up Sherry Birkin after a bunch of years, but it wasn't an exclusive PSP action title, even though at one point it maybe, possibly could have been.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
BG&E2 is less of a game in the sense of a complete product and more of an insurance policy in the event Vivendi does end up acquiring Ubisoft, the gaming community is supposed to rally together and support the ambitious title when it eventually appears to be in jeopardy and fight back in the name of Ancel and good gaming everywhere.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Everyone likes to joke about mascot platformer fandoms going too far but at least nobody's ever attempted murder in the name of Sonic before.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
So will game companies start covering the costs for user data caps because a lump sum 100 GB download is pretty fukkin' hefty.

Or at least will Microsoft start covering the charges? I know you have the money dude don't say that you don't.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

4:08 - CrowbCat no, don't do that.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

This guy started seeing Mario everywhere. His life was invaded by tiny Mario Land characters it was a bizarre time. It was like the inverse of Captain N.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

codenameFANGIO posted:

He's ok. But puppets are weird.

"Fathership with codenameFANGIO ended.

Now ARLO is my son."

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Was there any good cosplay at E3 this year?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

How does a video like this get almost 10K dislikes anyway?

Like "NO! NO I HATE BOWSER DAD ANTICS. WRONG!" people exist in that "large" a number?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Help, help me.

https://twitter.com/commiesona/status/876665310878806016

I'm dying help.

We're at the point in this mess where upon Mario Odyssey releasing this fall, if during an interview someone asks the devs if there were any outfits they had thought about but hadn't included and they respond with "Well for like, a second we drew up this concept of Mario in tribal outfit buy we immediately said no way. (laughs)" this will be seen as self-censorship of the highest degree.

(For context this stemmed from an interview with Xenoblade's director a few days ago where he said, as anyone who thought about it for a good minute could surmise, that devs usually work with the international branches to make sure things go as smoothly as possible ahead of time now a days and are directly involved in the process of bringing titles to the West.)

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 19, 2017

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
A Satan can go by many names.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

goferchan posted:

That's what you'd think but nope. They haven't released a lot of details but they've confirmed it's nothing like a retro emulation machine (which Atari has been doing for a while anyways before the NES classic was ever a thing) but closer in specs to a modern console. Idk what the gently caress they're thinking lol

A SwordQuest reboot that finally finishes up the contest from decades ago.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Grapplejack posted:

The worst part is probably that sales have been hurt by it. A lot of games have gone from "buy during a sale" to "skip completely" because by the time the price is down the playerbase has abandoned the game for something else and you're left with an empty game filled with loot boxes. I'm expecting pubg to hit that soon.

Like that Modern Warfare remaster is finally getting a standalone release at the end of this month for forty dollars. But is that with all the micro-transaction loot box poo poo they added in after release?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I heard people who played the demo for Peach Beach Splash at E3 said the "Game-feel" felt a lot like using the F.L.U.D.D. from Sunshine.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Wait did Eidos only get to keep the Hitman IP when they split earlier this month? I can understand Square-Enix wanting to keep Tomb Raider, what happened to Legacy of Kain IP? Is it just going to be stuck in limbo forever now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Phantasium posted:

Eidos didn't leave Square, IO Interactive did, and they're only in charge of Hitman.

Oh right I mixed the two up.

I guess LOK is never getting properly revived then.

• Locked thread